ADVERTISEMENT

This is what I see

Average speed? Good but not great talent? Can't let that go. For an athlete his size, Key runs very well. He was a multisport athlete at FDhs where he played center field for the baseball team for three seasons. I was there in the Swamp in 2022 when Key sprinted with FL CB Jalen Kimber and high-pointed the TD reception over the top of Kimber that put UK in the lead. One of the best individual plays I have seen. Jalen Kimber played in the 2020 All American Bowl and was the #8 CB prospect nationally, the #40 overall prospect in the state of TX, and the #209 prospect in the nation. Kimber has run electronically timed 4.44, but Dane ran right with him on the play. I am not suggesting Dane will ever run 4.4, but he is plenty fast for a tall, athletic SEC receiver. Dane was a two-time first team all state player at FDhs, Paul Hornung Award winner, and Class 5A POTY by the KY Football, Coaches Assn. Dane had at least 5 SEC and 5 B10 offers plus TX and OR. He is an elite talent but Aaron Gershon is reporting that Dane has been playing injured this year. Plus, Dane needs to clean up his routes, although he is already doing that. He is capable of much more than we have seen so far, which is why Coach Coen has him playing X.

Yes, WR depth is a huge problem for sure. Over the last offseason, 6 UK receivers transferred out because they were stuck behind Key, BB, and TRob. Anthony Brown will be a very good player but he needs more experience and could use some more muscle. Crowdus and White apparently don't have the coaches' confidence, although White may just need more time. I believe Porter and Banks will have good careers at UK but they obviously aren't ready. High hopes for Gilmore but we need more of them. And we can't take a chance on running off Key or BB. They will just have to play and take their lumps. But I'm not sure Woody is the right position coach for them.
Re Key, I'm talking about his play to date this year, he's yet to show that ability to date this season. Your comments about him are 100% correct, just hasn't translated to the '23 season....yet. Had not heard he's playing hurt, have heard B. Brown(hammy)/T. Robinson(ankle) are. Regardless, WRs need to step it up and hopefully they will in UK's remaining games.

We should as healthy as we have been since game 1 or 2 next week. Maybe UT will be nursing a few sore spots curtesy of the Tide. Just want to see us line up and play without a case of Orangeitis or a case of run your mouth disease.

Maybe we can put in a package of quick reads for Leary

I have been watching and don’t recall Tayvion Robinson dropping many balls, at least as many as BB and Key. Tayvion needs more thrown to him if you ask me.

Reactions: K_TIME and maroon79
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT