ADVERTISEMENT

This is what I see

Rembrandt90

Senior
Jun 25, 2018
The role of college athletics is supposed to be to generate revenue and positive public relations for schools, to provide a means for free education for talented amateur athletes, and to provide healthy entertainment for people most interested in the school. Until very recently, college athletics were supposed to be an expression of the best of amateur competition. College athletics were never intended as an alternative lifestyle or as a means for millions of bored, angry people to live vicariously. Now, we have militias and ideological militants butchering innocent people in Israel, Ukraine, Burma, and throughout various parts of Africa. Many US cities are becoming lawless and our national borders are becoming meaningless as rigid ideologies are causing selective enforcement or nonenforcement of our codified laws. Food and gasoline are becoming unaffordable because of inflation produced by irresponsible federal spending. This is the world we live in.
I just feel it is appropriate to maintain some kind of a sane perspective on college athletics, which are supposed to be healthy entertainment.

I have sat through every home game. I am a supporter of this coaching staff because I appreciate what they have gotten done here since 2013. I have especially been supportive of this staff's recruiting. Anyone who doesn't see huge improvement in our program and our recruiting since 2013 just has their head stuck up their large intestine. But I have also been candid when I have seen problems. So this is what I see now. Agree or don't, but let's at least try to maintain a realistic perspective.

Special teams

This morning, Wilson Berry's performance is being widely misrepresented. Berry had a poor game, but his per-punt stats were the same as MO punter Luke Bauer's. The reason was the weather, and anyone who was there knows what I am talking about. I will not get into a debate about how much the weather should affect punting. It's just a fact that the weather did hurt both punters equally. UK's special teams also get credit for blocking a MO FG attempt that could have, and should have, proven significant in the game. OTOH, UK gave up a TD on a fake punt while UK's coaches were frantically signaling from the sideline to be alert for a fake. The player who gave up the TD reception was Andru Phillips, one of our two best cover CBs.
Phillips was in good position but didn't get his head turned and didn't even attempt to make a play on the ball as MO scored a key TD that totally reversed momentum of the game. Phillips had a poor game last night.

Defense

UK's defense gave up 324 total yards and surrendered 3.1 yards per carry to MO's running game. The 324 total yards are better than UK's seasonal defensive average of 345 yards, which is still in the top half of the SEC even after being blown up by GA last week. Our defense against the run is #2 in the SEC. MO QB Brady Cook went 19-29 for 167 passing yards and 1 TD. Many of Cook's completions were checkdowns to secondary receivers when UK's defense had defended the primary well. But UK's defense only had one sack on Cook. On some of the checkdowns, UK defenders tackled the receiver after minimal gains. But on others, MO gained valuable first downs. Overall, these kinds of overall numbers would usually be associated with a UK W, not a L. But keep in mind that Zion Childress and Khalil Saunders committed stupid, unnecessary personal fouls that extended MO drives at a time when UK was still squarely in the game. Also, there were some missed tackles last night. Missed tackles can happen for several reasons. Last night, some happened because UK defenders were not in good position and therefore did not take ideal angles. Some happened because the MO ball carrier just tried harder than the tackler. Andru Phillips in particular did not tackle well. It must be emphasized that poor tackling was not ubiquitous on the evening. Some UK defenders such as Deone Walker, D'Eryk Jackson, Deveryn Rayner, and Alex Afari played well. We should mention here that UK's defense was hurt badly because three injured starters, Keeshawn Silver, Trevin Wallace, and Jalen Geiger, missed the game. But our defense was not responsible for this loss.

Offense

Where to begin? We can't blame this game on Devin Leary. Leary did not play badly, and the late picks came when Leary was trying desparately to make something happen. Once again, multiple catchable passes were dropped at key times. Leary was sacked four times and pressured numerous other times. Leary went 14-27 for 120 yards and two TDs, but his performance undoubtedly would have been more effective with better pass protection and sure handed receivers.

Ray Davis had another good game, but MO's defense made an adjustment by loading the box after the first quarter. Every future opponent will also do the same.

This brings me to our OL. Our OL may have appeared improved in earlier games, but that narrative is dead after yesterday. I lost count last night of blown blocking assignments and holding penalties. It was a total failure of our OL. I could blather on about this, but here is the bottom line. Our OL and, to a lesser extent, our receivers blew this game. We could have won it.

Summing up

Even with the large disparity in the final score, UK was outgained by only 324-299 total yards. If not for all the holding penalties and personal fouls, UK would have easily outgained MO. In the 1st quarter, UK got off to a 14-0 lead, and a blowout appeared to be in progress. Well, it was, but just not the sort of blowout we hoped for. It has become a ritual for this football team to let the foot off the pedal and get outplayed in the 2nd quarter every week. Lots of fans are dying to blame this on coaching although many won't give credit to our coaches for features of the game that go well. Nobody expected UK to beat GA, but the meltdown was evidence of deeper problems that struck again last night. Obviously, this team is not on the same page. There are problems in the locker room. Five of our starters and some key backups weren't even members of our team a year ago. They have displaced ther players who came here out of hs, and this is what can happen in the locker room. Plus, regression and lack of development on our OL and in our WR room tell us that those two position coaches are not getting it done and do not have the full attention of their players. We are halfway through the season now, so my opinions on Yenser and Woodward have hardened. Our OL is a disaster. The fact that our OL and WR position coaches have also had trouble on the recruiting trail only reinforces my conclusions.

There are no quick ways out of this. Despite what some are saying after yesterday, this will be another bowl season. But it doesn't look like what we were hoping for. Fortunately, we have an excellent 2024 recruiting class in the making. But unfortunately, they haven't signed yet. So here is the list of imperatives, as I see it now.

1. Do what is necessary to hold our 2024 recruiting class together. Stress to our commits that everyone will have opportunities to compete for jobs. Stay in close touch and convey the picture of a team and staff that continue to fight hard for improvement.

2. To the extent possible, transition from a portal-based talent acquisition system back to an evaluation and development system. We will still need to use the portal to plug roster holes, but we can't count on the portal to elevate our football program. That has to come through consistency in recruiting and development. Nevertheless, we will have to take a QB and a couple of OTs from the portal during the upcoming offseason because there is no choice at this point.

3. Zack Yenser and Scott Woodward will have to be terminated and replaced during the upcoming offseason, and planning for these new hires must begin now in the inner sanctum. I would also take a sober look at Frank Buffano's future. The new hires must be able to evaluate, recruit, AND develop young athletic talent, and they must have successful Power 5 experience. Mitch Barnhart must continue to keep Vince Marrow, Liam Coen, and Brad White happy in Lexington. We can cry all we want about one or two games, but Marrow, Coen, and White are the foundation for a better football program.

4. Identify the bad apples in the locker room and give them an off ramp for the coming offseason. This nonsense must stop.

5. Fans. Get a grip for heavens sake! Okay, this is not the SEC East Championship team we hoped. It's disappointing. I feel it at least as much as you. But this is sports, not an economic depression or a Presidential election. You are still alive. AU is 3-3, SCar is 2-4, and AR is 2-5. Would you trade places with them? Not if you are intelligent. Have those programs given up? No, they haven't. Anyone with a brain knows our football program is better off than it was in 2013. It isn't perfect, but nothing is. Competition is not for the faint of heart. We are 5-2. It isn't what we hoped for and, yes, it could be better. But it could also be worse. Our coaching staff is stable and they are working hard for improvement. Mark Stoops is not satisfied. But he is not a magician. He isn't giving up, and he isn't leaving. Our coaches can do better. Our players can do better. And the habitually-negative pansies in our fan base can do a lot better. All of us can focus on better outcomes and try to be more positive people. Competition is never going to get easier. But we can get better if we try.

Last edited:
The role of college athletics is supposed to be to generate revenue and positive public relations for schools, to provide a means for free education for talented amateur athletes, and to provide healthy entertainment for people most interested in the school. Until very recently, college athletics were supposed to be an expression of the best of amateur competition. College athletics were never intended as an alternative lifestyle or as a means for millions of bored, angry people to live vicariously. Now, we have militias and ideological militants butchering innocent people in Israel, Ukraine, Burma, and throughout various parts of Africa. Many US cities are becoming lawless and our national borders are becoming meaningless as rigid ideologies are causing selective enforcement or nonenforcement of our codified laws. Food and gasoline are becoming unaffordable because of inflation produced by irresponsible federal spending. This is the world we live in.
I just feel it is appropriate to maintain some kind of a sane perspective on college athletics, which are supposed to be healthy entertainment.

I have sat through every home game. I am a supporter of this coaching staff because I appreciate what they have gotten done here since 2013. I have especially been supportive of this staff's recruiting. Anyone who doesn't see huge improvement in our program and our recruiting since 2013 just has their head stuck up their large intestine. But I have also been candid when I have seen problems. So this is what I see now. Agree or don't, but let's at least try to maintain a realistic perspective.

Special teams

This morning, Wilson Berry's performance is being widely misrepresented. Berry had a poor game, but his per-punt stats were the same as MO punter Luke Bauer's. The reason was the weather, and anyone who was there knows what I am talking about. I will not get into a debate about how much the weather should affect punting. It's just a fact that the weather did hurt both punters equally. UK's special teams also get credit for blocking a MO FG attempt that could have, and should have, proven significant in the game. OTOH, UK gave up a TD on a fake punt while UK's coaches were frantically signaling from the sideline to be alert for a fake. The player who gave up the TD reception was Andru Phillips, one of our two best cover CBs.
Phillips was in good position but didn't get his head turned and didn't even attempt to make a play on the ball as MO scored a key TD that totally reversed momentum of the game. Phillips had a poor game last night.

Defense

UK's defense gave up 324 total yards and surrendered 3.1 yards per carry to MO's running game. The 324 total yards are better than UK's seasonal defensive average of 345 yards, which is still in the top half of the SEC even after being blown up by GA last week. Our defense against the run is #2 in the SEC. MO QB Brady Cook went 19-29 for 167 passing yards and 1 TD. Many of Cook's completions were checkdowns to secondary receivers when UK's defense had defended the primary well. But UK's defense only had one sack on Cook. On some of the checkdowns, UK defenders tackled the receiver after minimal gains. But on others, MO gained valuable first downs. Overall, these kinds of overall numbers would usually be associated with a UK W, not a L. But keep in mind that Zion Childress and Khalil Saunders committed stupid, unnecessary personal fouls that extended MO drives at a time when UK was still squarely in the game. Also, there were some missed tackles last night. Missed tackles can happen for several reasons. Last night, some happened because UK defenders were not in good position and therefore did not take ideal angles. Some happened because the MO ball carrier just tried harder than the tackler. Andru Phillips in particular did not tackle well. It must be emphasized that poor tackling was not ubiquitous on the evening. Some UK defenders such as Deone Walker, D'Eryk Jackson, Deveryn Rayner, and Alex Afari played well. We should mention here that UK's defense was hurt badly because three injured starters, Keeshawn Silver, Trevin Wallace, and Jalen Geiger, missed the game. But our defense was not responsible for this loss.

Offense

Where to begin? We can't blame this game on Devin Leary. Leary did not play badly, and the late picks came when Leary was trying desparately to make something happen. Once again, multiple catchable passes were dropped at key times. Leary was sacked four times and pressured numerous other times. Leary went 14-27 for 120 yards and two TDs, but his performance undoubtedly would have been more effective with better pass protection and sure handed receivers.

Ray Davis had another good game, but MO's defense made an adjustment by loading the box after the first quarter. Every future opponent will also do the same.

This brings me to our OL. Our OL may have appeared improved in earlier games, but that narrative is dead after yesterday. I lost count last night of blown blocking assignments and holding penalties. It was a total failure of our OL. I could blather on about this, but here is the bottom line. Our OL and, to a lesser extent, our receivers blew this game. We could have won it.

Summing up

Even with the large disparity in the final score, UK was outgained by only 324-299 total yards. If not for all the holding penalties and personal fouls, UK would have easily outgained MO. In the 1st quarter, UK got off to a 14-0 lead, and a blowout appeared to be in progress. Well, it was, but just not the sort of blowout we hoped for. It has become a ritual for this football team to let the foot off the pedal and get outplayed in the 2nd quarter every week. Lots of fans are dying to blame this on coaching although many won't give credit to our coaches for features of the game that go well. Nobody expected UK to beat GA, but the meltdown was evidence of deeper problems that struck again last night. Obviously, this team is not on the same page. There are problems in the locker room. Five of our starters and some key backups weren't even members of our team a year ago. They have displaced ther players who came here out of hs, and this is what can happen in the locker room. Plus, regression and lack of development on our OL and in our WR room tell us that those two position coaches are not getting it done and do not have the full attention of their players. We are halfway through the season now, so my opinions on Yenser and Woodward have hardened. Our OL is a disaster. The fact that our OL and WR position coaches have also had trouble on the recruiting trail only reinforces my conclusions.

There are no quick ways out of this. Despite what some are saying after yesterday, this will be another bowl season. But it doesn't look like what we were hoping for. Fortunately, we have an excellent 2024 recruiting class in the making. But unfortunately, they haven't signed yet. So here is the list of imperatives, as I see it now.

1. Do what is necessary to hold our 2024 recruiting class together. Stress to our commits that everyone will have opportunities to compete for jobs. Stay in close touch and convey the picture of a team and staff that continue to fight hard for improvement.

2. To the extent possible, transition from a portal-based talent acquisition system back to an evaluation and development system. We will still need to use the portal to plug roster holes, but we can't count on the portal to elevate our football program. That has to come through consistency in recruiting and development. Nevertheless, we will have to take a QB and a couple of OTs from the portal during the upcoming offseason because there is no choice at this point.

3. Zack Yenser and Scott Woodward will have to be terminated and replaced during the upcoming offseason, and planning for these new hires must begin now in the inner sanctum. I would also take a sober look at Frank Buffano's future. The new hires must be able to evaluate, recruit, AND develop young athletic talent, and they must have successful Power 5 experience. Mitch Barnhart must continue to keep Vince Marrow, Liam Coen, and Brad White happy in Lexington. We can cry all we want about one or two games, but Marrow, Coen, and White are the foundation for a better football program.

4. Identify the bad apples in the locker room and give them an off ramp for the coming offseason. This nonsense must stop.

5. Fans. Get a grip for heavens sake! Okay, this is not the SEC East Championship team we hoped. It's disappointing. I feel it at least as much as you. But this is sports, not an economic depression or a Presidential election. You are still alive. AU is 3-3, SCar is 2-4, and AR is 2-5. Would you trade places with them? Not if you are intelligent. Have those programs given up? No, they haven't. Anyone with a brain knows our football program is better off than it was in 2013. It isn't perfect, but nothing is. Competition is not for the faint of heart. We are 5-2. It isn't what we hoped for and, yes, it could be better. But it could also be worse. Our coaching staff is stable and they are working hard for improvement. Mark Stoops is not satisfied. But he is not a magician. He isn't giving up, and he isn't leaving. Our coaches can do better. Our players can do better. And the habitually-negative pansies in our fan base can do a lot better. All of us can focus on better outcomes and try to be more positive people. Competition is never going to get easier. But we can get better if we try.
A very well thought out message. I’ve been telling myself that it’s only football. We (the world) have much bigger and more important issues. I agree with most of your analysis.

We are a vicariously driven culture these days.

It’s football man. Enjoy it

You could be being hunted like an animal

America could be involved in civil war

These overly inflammatory remarks are uncalled for, tiresome and are weary to the ears —yes I know that I have made them too

Enjoy life man. Sun is warm, grass is green, sky is blue, birds sing

The sun will come out tomorrow and we will still be Cat fans

Enjoy the fact the UK is still in the bowl picture

Go Cats

Start by cleaning this up.
Kentucky Football had more penalty yards (122) than passing yards (120) on the night. Not good.
That is a true statement. It's why I pointed out the holding penalties and personal fouls as the difference in the outcome. We currently have a sloppy, unfocused football team. If our players were focused and efficient, this could be a New Years Day Bowl team. The talent is there. The execution just isn't. But the execution issues are primarily with the OL and WRs. It isn't everyone.

Gonna try to take a nap , but cant wait to address the OP . Well thought out, but seems to written from a guy setting inside in a tee shirt (I'm sorry, starched color button down ) last night sipping Woodford from the 50 yard line . If I'm wrong , my apologies

Reactions: RunninRichie
Gonna try to take a nap , but cant wait to address the OP . Well thought out, but seems to written from a guy setting inside in a tee shirt (I'm sorry, starched color button down ) last night sipping Woodford from the 50 yard line . If I'm wrong , my apologies
You couldn't be more wrong. Except for the well thought out part.

That is a true statement. It's why I pointed out the holding penalties and personal fouls as the difference in the outcome. We currently have a sloppy, unfocused football team. If our players were focused and efficient, this could be a New Years Day Bowl team. The talent is there. The execution just isn't. But the execution issues are primarily with the OL and WRs. It isn't everyone.
Bad habits are hard to break and it may take longer than we have to break them. Holding penalties are usually committed when a player is getting beat. I`ve said this on other threads, but after our Georgia game, Kirby said this. I told our team they`ll commit personal fouls, just ignore them and move on. It`s sad that it occurs often enough for other coaches to say this prior to our game.
I`m not a fan who say`s coaches should be removed, but it`s time for our receiver coach and offensive line coach to move on. One defense of Marrow as a tight end coach, our tight ends have become another offensive lineman, due to our line issue`s. We need them to become a receiving weapon, not 75 % blockers.

Well ffs let's stop playing football and concentrate on the important stuff. Sounds like Rick Pitino talking about Ted Kennedy.

Self-inflicted wounds, death by paper cuts. That UK is beating themselves is disappointing. The other disappointing thing to me is the lack of leadership, not by coaches but by players. Upper classmen who've been around awhile need to be stepping up, this is their team.

No two ways about it, recruiting has to pick up. I know there's hope for the '24 class but make no mistake...UK needs better players at key positions. Won't name names but OL, Secondary and WR are lacking some due to injuries(I'd like to see T. Robinson more involved, the guy has over 100 career catches, but he can't seem to stay healthy). Major influx of talent is needed in those areas.

There's still lots to play for, time to refocus goals. But UK cannot play as it has the past two weeks or this season will be one of the biggest disasters in UK history.

Good thoughts.

1. At this point, we need to hold the 2024 class together....once they start cratering it will eventually result in Stoops exit. Hope we can keep it jelled.
2. I still agree Stoops, White, Marrow and Coen are most critical....they make the most money. But to be fair. Stoops contract raise last year was stupid by Mitch and if we struggle to hold our core coaches....burning money like that will be part of the problem.
3. Tend to agree....especially on Woodard. The trick is those are Coen guys (especially Woodard)....if Coen objects are we in a catch 22 situation? I was out on Yenser last off season....but I think his unit does a good job vs. run and provides a good pass pocket.....and in games where we are in obvious passing....they don't hold up so well. One thing for sure....Yenser's unit has been a penalty problem.
4. So who are the bad apples? Key/Brown are mouthy WR. Zion Childress has been a chirp magnet. Is Burton just a guy who makes tons of dumb plays or a bad apple?
5. As far as fans lightening up....I get fans (short for fanatics can be nuts)....but UK bball fans have been pretty demanding during Sutton era, end of Tubby era and Billy G for sure. Footballl has tasted good stuff and raised expectations....and fans are seeing it fall back and being upset. I'ts just the nature of sports fans.

My only thing I see is we need to re-evaluate the offense under Coen. We have to run an offense that college kids can run and adapt. Some of these NFL mindsets aren't producing for UK. I'd like to throw middle of field throws and concepts.....way too many outside passing schemes. Use our tight ends and get our best players to play. Run your QB. I think how we've used QB last 2 years has been coaching failure. And Stoops is at mercy of OC....so we need to keep this coach doing an elite job.

Well crafted thoughts... thanks.

1. Correct i.e. Yenser. See my posts from last year to this. Nothing special in my humble opinion and time to trade out. Our OL has been average or worse all year long in pass protection. Leary may do a better job than Levis with not taking a sack, but bottom-line is he doesn't consistently have time to scan, without scrambling or throwing over some big dude barreling down on him...(often from multiple positions).

Just watch some of the better teams and their chunk passing plays -- it's embarrassing to our team how long these other QBs have to let receiver routes develop.

2. Defense. No QB pressure puts a tremendous stress on our Defense. My criticism of White is not mixing in a little press coverage and being dinked / dunked to death, as well as selling out on the "bend but don't break" concept. Also, I don't totally blame the D-backs for poor eye discipline and getting sucked into run fakes....My suspicion is that run-support is stressed in practice... which leads to overly aggressive leaking up... (nothing to support this theory, though)

3. WRs drop a lot.,.. but they seem to have bought into down-field blocking.

4. Tight ends. Why can't we seem to utilize them more? Seems easy enough to just draw up a short pattern in the dirt (ala Mumme / Couch), and get to a spot. So basic. But everything starts with pass protection and we're not very good, here.

5. Final record: I'll be pleasantly surprised if we win 3 more games. Not surprised at all if we don't win another -- but disappointed.

6. College athletics are becoming less, and less important when compared to worldly events and life in general. Coaches, Universities, and now players make way too much money for this "amateur" sport. In fact college tuition and college education has totally gotten out of control. Something has to be done for our next generations because many individuals / families are mortgaging their futures. College education is more lucrative when adjusted for inflation that many fortune 500 companies.

Last edited:
Bad habits are hard to break and it may take longer than we have to break them. Holding penalties are usually committed when a player is getting beat.

Sometimes they are. I think that's usually true on the edge, but not always in the interior. I saw Eli Cox commit a couple of holding penalties last night when he could have just let go and we would have been fine.

I`ve said this on other threads, but after our Georgia game, Kirby said this. I told our team they`ll commit personal fouls, just ignore them and move on. It`s sad that it occurs often enough for other coaches to say this prior to our game.

If that's actually true, I would certainly agree with you, although this is the first time I have seen it.

I`m not a fan who say`s coaches should be removed, but it`s time for our receiver coach and offensive line coach to move on.

Yes, I agree, and I said that in the OP. I can see lack of development and regression all over our OL and in our WR room. Not only that, but Woodward and Yenser have been among our weakest recruiters. It's unfortunate, but they have to go.

One defense of Marrow as a tight end coach, our tight ends have become another offensive lineman, due to our line issue`s. We need them to become a receiving weapon, not 75 % blockers.

Our TEs have caught 13 passes this season. I haven't looked at the number of TE targets although I am sure there have been a fair number. The numbers are what they are, but our entire passing game has been hurt by holding penalties and blown pass blocking assignments. I don't have any problem with TEs being asked to block. That's part of their job description and it needs to get better. But we don't have Brock Bowers on this team. Coach Marrow has been one of the most valuable members of our coaching staff.

Last edited:
You can read English, right? Nobody says you should stop caring about UK football. I certainly didn't say that. Just try to keep it in perspective, and try not to make an ass of yourself.
Mark Stoops has been the only one making an ass of himself.Blaming fans for not giving more money while he does nothing about his out of control team penalties.

Special teams

Defense

Offense

Summing up

WTF

Mark Stoops has been the only one making an ass of himself.Blaming fans for not giving more money while he does nothing about his out of control team penalties.
I don't know what you expect. If you don't want to give money to the 15 club, then don't. But penalties and NIL are so completely unrelated that you sound silly. And dishonesty is worse. Stoops has never "blamed" fans for not giving. He simply commented on the importance of donating. And he is right. You can question results, as I did above in the OP. But creating false narratives to criticize Stoops is just childish.

I’m ok with taking reasoned approaches which is why I think the ‘build a statue’ for stoops portion of the base have been off base for how productive he has actually been relative to his circumstances vs some past Uk coaches. I just want people that take a pious approach toward fans being disgruntled or critical to apply that to coach and administrator salaries, and other ancillary things that are also no longer representative of the leisurely activity of college athletics 75 years ago. Just can’t apply that to fan side then request after request for additional money from people, etc that the message is ‘this is serious business and if you want to be good we need more and more concessions’ from things like game times set for tv not fan experience or attendance to watching ridiculous unwarranted raises. That last contract extension and raise did absolutely nothing but hurt everybody involved. Coaches and admins all over the place preach things like ‘if you want the good stuff you have to accept the tough stuff with it’ but then they get all sour when it’s their turn.

We’ve had good to very good recruiting classes but it doesn’t matter much if you don’t have anyone to develop them. Can’t do chest and back bumps with these guys after a great play if they’ve already made five bad ones, coaches are not paid to coddle they’re paid to coach and that’s not happening for some groups.

I’m ok with taking reasoned approaches which is why I think the ‘build a statue’ for stoops portion of the base have been off base for how productive he has actually been relative to his circumstances vs some past Uk coaches. I just want people that take a pious approach toward fans being disgruntled or critical to apply that to coach and administrator salaries, and other ancillary things that are also no longer representative of the leisurely activity of college athletics 75 years ago. Just can’t apply that to fan side then request after request for additional money from people, etc that the message is ‘this is serious business and if you want to be good we need more and more concessions’ from things like game times set for tv not fan experience or attendance to watching ridiculous unwarranted raises. That last contract extension and raise did absolutely nothing but hurt everybody involved. Coaches and admins all over the place preach things like ‘if you want the good stuff you have to accept the tough stuff with it’ but then they get all sour when it’s their turn.
Again, if you don't want to contribute to the 15 club, then don't. I have seen hundreds of rationalizations for not giving. The bottom line is that you don't have to. But that is your personal decision. It isn't the school's fault, or the coach's fault. Lots of people are donating, because we see things differently.

Fundraising and management of revenue are among the primary responsibilities of all administrators everywhere. It is not realistic to create a negative narrative about that when all of them do it.

And beyond that, everyone who wants winning football needs to fully understand the role of NIL. I don't like NIL. When the current NIL rules were announced, I thought it was nuts. This is destroying amateurism and seriously hurting college athletics. But it is the current reality and it can't be rolled back as long as the courts treat college athletes as employees instead of tuition-free students.

Last edited:
Reactions: grevey35
I don't know what you expect. If you don't want to give money to the 15 club, then don't. But penalties and NIL are so completely unrelated that you sound silly. And dishonesty is worse. Stoops has never "blamed" fans for not giving. He simply commented on the importance of donating. And he is right. You can question results, as I did above in the OP. But creating false narratives to criticize Stoops is just childish.
Are you also a Cal apologist?

Sometimes they are. I think that's usually true on the edge, but not always in the interior. I saw Eli Cox commit a couple of holding penalties last night when he could have just let go and we would have been fine.

If that's actually true, I would certainly agree with you, although this is the first time I have seen it.

Yes, I agree, and I said that in the OP. I can see lack of development and regression all over our OL and in our WR room. Not only that, but Woodward and Yenser have been among our weakest recruiters. It's unfortunate, but they have to go.

Our TEs have caught 13 passes this season. I haven't looked at the number of TE targets although I am sure there have been a fair number. The numbers are what they are, but our entire passing game has been hurt by holding penalties and blown pass blocking assignments. I don't have any problem with TEs being asked to block. That's part of their job description and it needs to get better. But we don't have Brock Bowers on this team. Coach Marrow has been one of the most valuable members of our coaching staff.
I watched Smart`s press conference on You Tube because I wanted to see what he had to say and this was part of it. He actually said the above and looked upset when saying it.

• Sad
Reactions: JasonRDunn
We’ve had good to very good recruiting classes but it doesn’t matter much if you don’t have anyone to develop them. Can’t do chest and back bumps with these guys after a great play if they’ve already made five bad ones, coaches are not paid to coddle they’re paid to coach and that’s not happening for some groups.

Our WR and OL position coaches need to be replaced by more competent evaluators and developers of talent. I have seen enough to know Yenser and Woodward can't get it done.

But I see no rational reason to fire either of the coordinators. And I am certainly not buying some people's narratives that the entire athletics department has to be blown up. I have seen a lot of the latter today, but I know from prior experience that those crazies overreact and spew nonsense after every loss.

Our WR and OL position coaches need to be replaced by more competent evaluators and developers of talent. I have seen enough to know Yenser and Woodward can't get it done.

But I see no rational reason to fire either of the coordinators. And I am certainly not buying some people's narratives that the entire athletics department has to be blown up. I have seen a lot of the latter today, but I know from prior experience that those crazies overreact and spew nonsense after every loss.
Well those crazies will have more chances because your boy Stoops will take a lot more losses this season.He has lost control of this team.

I'm not reading all that but to cliff note things. UK isn't winning anything that matters (sec east, sec title, playoff national title or making a 12 team playoff unless we go 10 and 2) and if people just accept that, it's really not anything to worry about.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Well those crazies will have more chances because your boy Stoops will take a lot more losses this season.He has lost control of this team.
He isn't my "boy". And as I suggested in the OP, there are obviously big problems in the locker room. I hate to disappoint you, but many programs experience that at some point, and it doesn't necessarily mean this coaching staff can't or won't get through it. But it has hurt this team badly. That's obvious.

I "expect" a coach, that WHINES about not having enough NIL money to compete with UGA after his team makes enough DUMB MISTAKES to get blown out not only against UGA but ALSO against the next opponent that doesn't have as much talent on their team than this SAME coach's team, to accept ALL of the responsibility for those DUMB MISTAKES!!!

The only "dishonesty" is the fact that YOU won't ADMIT that the lack of discipline falls SQUARELY on the shoulders of the HC!!! The "narrative" is FACT, nothing "false" about it. Coach Stoops teams have been guilty of making these SAME mistakes throughout his tenure here.

WHY are we STILL so undisciplined as a team in year 11??????

Last edited:

Special teams

Defense

Offense

Summing up

5. Fans. Get a grip for heavens sake! Okay, this is not the SEC East Championship team we hoped. It's disappointing. I feel it at least as much as you. But this is sports, not an economic depression or a Presidential election. You are still alive. AU is 3-3, SCar is 2-4, and AR is 2-5. Would you trade places with them? Not if you are intelligent. Have those programs given up? No, they haven't. Anyone with a brain knows our football program is better off than it was in 2013. It isn't perfect, but nothing is. Competition is not for the faint of heart. We are 5-2. It isn't what we hoped for and, yes, it could be better. But it could also be worse. Our coaching staff is stable and they are working hard for improvement. Mark Stoops is not satisfied.
I generally agree. You're more kind to Leary than I am as his stats have been pretty bland all season.

It boggled my mind how Yenser survived last season but he must be replaced. Is it normal for our position coaches to have as little experience as ours seem to have?

I generally agree. You're more kind to Leary than I am as his stats have been pretty bland all season.

It boggled my mind how Yenser survived last season but he must be replaced. Is it normal for our position coaches to have as little experience as ours seem to have?
Most coaching staffs have a spectrum of experienced and younger assistant coaches. Stoops has always favored a younger staff because of the recruiting implications and the ability to relate to players. I don't see where our coaches' ages are a problem. However, the bulk of the recruiting success is coming from Marrow, White, Coen, Collins, and Coach Mike. OTOH, Ydnser and Woodward haven't been getting it done as recruiters.

I was skeptical of the Yenser hire at the time. Earlier this season, it looked like our OL had improved significantly. So I second-guessed myself. But that narrative was blown up yesterday, and I have no problem placing yesterday's loss on the OL. How many promising UK drives were killed by holding penalties or sacks? I honestly lost track.

I don't see any way around it now. Yenser will have to be replaced.

I wholeheartedly agree with your take on Yenser, Woodward, and Buffano needing to be gone. Personally, I will always appreciate what Stoops has done here, but I am getting tired of the same stuff every year. Without Josh Allen, Benny Snell, and Lynn Bowden he might have been gone already. However, due to contracts and other factors, I know he is not going anywhere. I just wish we could get a young dynamic coach like John Sumrall who would bring new excitement to the program

Most coaching staffs have a spectrum of experienced and younger assistant coaches. Stoops has always favored a younger staff because of the recruiting implications and the ability to relate to players. I don't see where our coaches' ages are a problem. However, the bulk of the recruiting success is coming from Marrow, White, Coen, Collins, and Coach Mike. OTOH, Ydnser and Woodward haven't been getting it done as recruiters.

I was skeptical of the Yenser hire at the time. Earlier this season, it looked like our OL had improved significantly. So I second-guessed myself. But that narrative was blown up yesterday, and I have no problem placing yesterday's loss on the OL. How many promising UK drives were killed by holding penalties or sacks? I honestly lost track.

I don't see any way around it now. Yenser will have to be replaced.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the conference room when the coach's meeting is held.

Reactions: entropy13
How do we get receivers to CATCH the ball? #5 dropped two passes that have to be caught if you are an SEC receiver. Those two catches alone could change the complexion of the game.

Special teams

Defense

Offense

Summing up

5. Fans. Get a grip for heavens sake! Okay, this is not the SEC East Championship team we hoped. It's disappointing. I feel it at least as much as you. But this is sports, not an economic depression or a Presidential election. You are still alive. AU is 3-3, SCar is 2-4, and AR is 2-5. Would you trade places with them? Not if you are intelligent. Have those programs given up? No, they haven't. Anyone with a brain knows our football program is better off than it was in 2013. It isn't perfect, but nothing is. Competition is not for the faint of heart. We are 5-2. It isn't what we

In watching the replay, some of the penalties are the dumbest I have seen. One in particular, UK DL gets a hit on the QB just as he releases, but as he is getting up throws a forearm to his facemask, then looks at official to see if he was seen, and saw 2 flags. What was he thinking? I don't know who it was, not Walker but another guy. Is that trying to be the tough guy or something.

Again, if you don't want to contribute to the 15 club, then don't. I have seen hundreds of rationalizations for not giving. The bottom line is that you don't have to. But that is your personal decision. It isn't the school's fault, or the coach's fault. Lots of people are donating, because we see things differently.

Fundraising and management of revenue are among the primary responsibilities of all administrators everywhere. It is not realistic to create a negative narrative about that when all of them do it.

And beyond that, everyone who wants winning football needs to fully understand the role of NIL. I don't like NIL. When the current NIL rules were announced, I thought it was nuts. This is destroying amateurism and seriously hurting college athletics. But it is the current reality and it can't be rolled back as long as the courts treat college athletes as employees instead of tuition-free students.
I’m not arguing about giving just merely making the point that asking for people to care enough to give but not care enough to gripe etc is neither logical nor practical. No different from politics they get money and votes out of euphoria or anger but not ambivalence or worse apathy

There is no doubt that there are a couple of position coaches who are not producing in a myriad of ways.
Those coaches will be gone at the end of the year

Summing up

You make some great points. My biggest Reservation going into season Was with the O line and secondary, and this has proved to be true. I do think that our head coach deserves the criticosm he is getting right now. Staff problems, he compiled it. I also point out that his inability to keep an O Coordinator for any lenght of time during his tenure has been a problem and continues to be. As for recruiting ,as long as UK CONSISTANTLY ranks 10-12 in SEC rankings each year we will rarely be more competative than we are now. As for the fans,would we be better off expecting more or being apathetic,who knows ,I have witnessed both and the end result doesnt seem to be all that different over time.Finally as in every type of organized endeavor leadership comes from the top down. After 12 yrars you can draw your own conclusion as to wether ours is taking us where we want to be,in my veiw it isnt.

I see a lot of the same mistakes and lack of preparation and lack of discipline that have been going on for years under Stoops. This team overall looks and appears to have a real character problem. We've come full circle as some of the early Stoops teams were like that.

We have the slowest offense in the damn nation, and (I think) lead the country in dropped passes to boot.

Also: Stoops clock management is awful. He apparently has no idea after 10 years what timeouts are for or when to use them. We are getting murdered before halftime, every single game as our offense bumbles through a 3-and out - we can't manage the clock - and the opposing team get's the ball back with 2 minutes left and almost always scores at will.

More penalty than passing yards, lol - ten seasons into Stoops tenure here.

And our recruiting? Yes it's the best it's ever been but it is not good enough is it? Not when the teams we are chasing are top-15 every single year. UGA is top 3 every year. Florida is top-10 every year. Tennessee is top 15 every year.

LSU, Auburn and TAMU are top 10-13 every single year. Next year Oklahoma and Texas are two more top 10-12 recruiting teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT