ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Sports’ Norlander says he believes Cal is done at UK

Yuck. I hope not. This would be a conundrum though for sure. Mitch won’t hire the type of guys I’d personally like. I don’t think the guys he would like have the personality
Beyond all the already mentioned like Drew, Pearl, and the unrealistics….. a dude this board hates that would absolutely win here is Will Wade 🤮…. But cal had baggage too and Wade could redeem himself and is fairly well
Liked in the industry and by the ncaa/officials.

Not my first choice but if you strike out on big dogs then I’d rather roll
The dice on Wade be taking a nobody

Reactions: Rockfly78
Can’t get it to link with the site issues but on the postgame wrap up show CBS does he says it’s been widely discussed in the industry that this was it for Cal at UK. And given the way it ended tonight he said Cal has coached his last game at UK.
I hope he’s done

Pearl is my pick! Why? He so desperately wants a team that can give him his first championship. At Auburn it's extremely hard to put together the full package. Although rather close. But at KY, the dream comes true for him. Negotiate Cal out and Pearl in. Within the next 18 months at the latest. Imho
18 months??? Wtf?

Can’t get it to link with the site issues but on the postgame wrap up show CBS does he says it’s been widely discussed in the industry that this was it for Cal at UK. And given the way it ended tonight he said Cal has coached his last game at UK.
I’ve been 🙏 for this for day even before this loss now I’m going to be 🙏 3 times a day since last night that it happens way before next season begins. Especially since that flame out again by Mr One and Done last night!

67c3f8115496ad9efa1f163dabb559da.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
I think the solution is a tweak, not a massive change like Calipari leaving. At least Calipari is open to change as evidenced by last nights post-Oakland press comments.

The solution is simply about messaging.

He can talk all about money and the NBA on the recruiting trail. At this point, he almost doesn't need to emphasize it. Calipari and Kentucky have ample track record.

His messaging is not unlike messaging from K and Roy...something bigger than you. Watch K's recent commercial. Something bigger than you.

So all he has to say in every press conference is not about the NBA but about wins and banners. This is what he publicly has to say.

"At UK, we have more wins and championships than any of the blue bloods. That's a fact. And when you agree to come to Kentucky, you agree to play with other great players. We collectively are about winning games and hanging banners. The NBA, if you're good enough and a good enough teammate and committed to doing whatever it takes to win, they will easily find you at Kentucky. We are the biggest platform with the brightest lights in college basketball and if you play well here and win, the NBA will see you. Kentucky is about winning games and trophies. You will be a big part of that if you invest in us and we will invest in you. If you win here, you will win and take care of yourself anywhere. One year, 2 or 3. Anywhere. Look at all those players doing well at the next level. But we are committed to winning here at Kentucky."

If Calipari can't do that, can't change that messaging...pay him the buyout now.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
I understand that as much as I love all UK sports the Men’s basketball team is a much bigger animal than any other sport at the University though.
And the buyouts are usually negotiated and paid out over time. We can afford to can him. The football money alone could pay for it. It’s coming. He is done.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Start with Hurley and Donovan and the second tier is Pearl or Oats…but what we need is a damn contract with incentives instead of straight pay the way it should’ve been all along! Such as a huge bonus for SEC titles, fonal4s, NCAA titles etc…
Why would Hurley leave UConn. They are the premier program in the NCAA over the last 25 years. 5 titles in 25 years. If he wins again he is a god there.

Throw $12 mil a year at Donovan.
Donovan is only making like $6-7 mil at Chicago, bump him up to $8-9 and he may listen. They're 9th in the Eastern Division currently likely not a playoff team. they may be ready for him to leave there anyway. just not sure if he's too far removed from the College game now and if he's up for battling the NIL mess, transfer portal and recruiting grind.

If cal is gone, the incoming class will be gone (which is fine), but Cal needs to be gone now so we can get a new coach that can get his team out of the transfer portal and try to keep some good players, Adou, burks, Hart, Shep, Z, Bradshaw. I know those guys will not hang around but you have to give some coach a chance to meet and hopefully win over some guys and get new guys. We need a young coach. someone with enough moxy and energy to take ahold of the ship and get us going again. Go to someone that understands NIL. Heck give Will Wade a chance and make his contract cut and dry, one toe out of line and you are gone with no $$. Put a staff member in charge to control his actions. Do not bring in Pearl (too old) you might get 3 to 5 years and then the drop off will start to happen again.

Unfortunately nobody out there excites me as a replacement.

Cal’s shelf life is expired at UK. Need new energy and culture
There’s not a candidate that’s head & shoulders above everyone else but there are at least 2 dozen names I could rattle off that I’d rather be coach next year than him. And that’s NOT counting me saying “the guy at [insert school].”

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
It’s the right thing for everyone. The big question looming is who is next up. It makes me uneasy to think Barnhart is making that decision. I know Pratt was heavily involved hiring Calipari. Who will step up this time and take control?

If it happens, I’d say it’ll be by the end of this weekend. If he’s still here Monday morning, then we’re stuck.

I think the solution is a tweak, not a massive change like Calipari leaving. At least Calipari is open to change as evidenced by last nights post-Oakland press comments.

He can talk all about money and the NBA on the recruiting trail. At this point, he almost doesn't need to emphasize it. Calipari and Kentucky have ample track record.

His messaging is not unlike messaging from K and Roy...something bigger than you. Watch K's recent commercial. Something bigger than you.

So all he has to say in every press conference is not about the NBA but about wins and banners. This is what he publicly has to say.

"At UK, we have more wins and championships than any of the blue bloods. That's a fact. And when you agree to come to Kentucky, you agree to play with other great players. We collectively are about winning games and hanging banners. The NBA, if you're good enough and a good enough teammate and committed to doing whatever it takes to win, they will easily find you at Kentucky. We are the biggest platform with the brightest lights in college basketball and if you play well here and win, the NBA will see you. Kentucky is about winning games and trophies. You will be a big part of that if you invest in us and we will invest in you. If you win here, you will win and take care of yourself anywhere. One year, 2 or 3. Anywhere. Look at all those players doing well at the next level. But we are committed to winning here at Kentucky."

If Calipari can't do that, can't change that messaging...pay him the buyout now.
That's a great message and it's close to what Cal was saying when he was starting here. The problem is his coaching. I just don't believe that he's a good in game coach anymore.

I don't like Pearl but I would take him right now. He wants to win.

Donavan might still have something in the tank but every time I see him I think he just looks tired. Whoever shows up here needs to be young and hungry. No more overstuffed suits who just want to cruise along and pontificate on coaching.

That is why Dan Hurley wins. He wants to win more than anything. He doesn't want to stuff the NBA, or be friends with the players, he wants to effing win.

Gotta have that hunger or you won't win anywhere no matter how much money or how many stars.

Beyond all the already mentioned like Drew, Pearl, and the unrealistics….. a dude this board hates that would absolutely win here is Will Wade 🤮…. But cal had baggage too and Wade could redeem himself and is fairly well
Liked in the industry and by the ncaa/officials.

Not my first choice but if you strike out on big dogs then I’d rather roll
The dice on Wade be taking a nobody
Mitch is a boy scout. He won’t even look at wade

I am hopping that this cataclysmic embarrassment in his home area will be enough to make him do the honorable thing which is to step away. If he couldn't win with this much talent, he will never be able to win.
Honorable is a virtue that few have.
Integrity too is a rarity.
I think of JB Hall.
I believe he possessed both when he stepped down.

lol, you’re looking for any glimmer of hope

Messaging? Did you say really say messaging? I can understand this perspective from a HeelVol fan, but certainly not a UK Fan. We are many years past expecting changes to be made. Anyone that thinks the problem is messaging is either paid, a troll, or a gullible fool. We have a completely exposed fraudster that has collected $9 million annually for the past 6-7 years that doesn't coach, develop talent nor provide any leadership. If he's back, the damage will be well past the amount he is owed. We are on the brink of this program being irrelevant. He has to go away now, one way or the other.

Unfortunately nobody out there excites me as a replacement.

Cal’s shelf life is expired at UK. Need new energy and culture
Ok maybe nobody excites you but I bet whomever it is they can win more than 1 NCAAT game over several years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT