ADVERTISEMENT

Cal says: "It took me 20 years to get here" (UK)......

I remember when Cal first came to be our coach, he said something about he would come home or call home and ask his wife if UK has called, everytime there was an opening for a coaching job at UK
He has in several ocasions said that this has always been his dream job.
I think he is happy here and all rumors about him leaving is just wishful thinking of NBA teams, UK haters and rival coaches scaring away potencial recruits from UK.
I think he will still be our coach long after I am gone.

I'm not sure why he has to say it.
because the media and its rumors/perceptions. pretty simple. the article itself says he was linked to NO. even rehashing the events, the rumor is right there still in print. when nothing about cal being recently "linked" to new orleans is true at all. some media would try to use that to hurt us with recruiting. cal is going to respond quickly as he always does when it comes to these stories. it's kind of important in recruiting to establish where you'll be coaching and cal has been honest about that from day one. he wouldn't need to respond if the rumor wasn't out there. but it was for whatever reason, and he squashed it. you'd have expected him to say nothing?

Its a very political answer. Its no where near the same as "there is no way I will leave". To me, anything can be justified as something that can "uproot him". If an NBA team offers him 8 mil per, and he leaves and everyone says "what happened to uproot?" he could easily say "thats the type of opportunity that uprooted me".

But what NBA team realistically is going to offer Calipari $8 million per? His run with the Nets was terrible. From 1996-1999 he went 72-112 for a .391 winning percentage. The Nets made it to the NBA finals for the 2001-2002 season.

Reactions: Brando Mac
I could care less what he desides to do. All I want from him is the ability to change his arrogant thinking when it matters the most.
I'll say this once and I'll say it until I die. When you are up 4 points with 3 minutes to play and choke like he did with a roster full of NBA players.......come on now.
I don't care about anything but winning championships and how I see it calipari cost Kentucky at least 3 of them because he refused to change. In basketball you have to change or you'll watch the other team celebrate.

I could care less what he desides to do. All I want from him is the ability to change his arrogant thinking when it matters the most.
I'll say this once and I'll say it until I die. When you are up 4 points with 3 minutes to play and choke like he did with a roster full of NBA players.......come on now.
I don't care about anything but winning championships and how I see it calipari cost Kentucky at least 3 of them because he refused to change. In basketball you have to change or you'll watch the other team celebrate.

Agreed. Adapt or die

All our rival schools after they read that piece...

cries2.gif

When he was interviewed at the Memphis airport he said "I'm happy where I am", the usual bit they all do. I remember Tubby doing the last Tubby Smith Show and talking about coming back etc. What's a coach to do, let the cat out of the bag during an interview, sign their contract in blood? When he leaves, he'll leave - until then, it's going to be "I'm happy here" etc. etc.

Honestly, who in the world is going to say "I promise I will never leave this job and I guarantee I will retire here"? I like my job but I'm not saying that. And you can't anticipate every opportunity a guy like Calipari is going to have.

I think what his comments mean is he truly has no intention of leaving for an NBA job. He didn't do it last year and he didn't do it this year. But seriously, if an NBA team were to win the championship with a stellar group of players and their coach would retire unexpectedly, and they immediately go to Cal and offer him 10 million a year, he would have to be kind of an idiot not to at least consider it.

Mind you, that's kind of an extreme example, but you can't expect him to simply close the door on it. But if the job offers that keep floating around are like they have been, I don't see him leaving Kentucky for it.

When he was interviewed at the Memphis airport he said "I'm happy where I am", the usual bit they all do. I remember Tubby doing the last Tubby Smith Show and talking about coming back etc. What's a coach to do, let the cat out of the bag during an interview, sign their contract in blood? When he leaves, he'll leave - until then, it's going to be "I'm happy here" etc. etc.
Yep. Exactly correct.

I think it's the fact that Cal DOES speak to NBA teams about job openings and then the news broke before last season that he was in serious talks to take the Cav's head coaching job. I know Cal wants people to know that he is staying here, but this speculation wouldn't be as strong if he didn't fan the flames a bit himself.

Its a very political answer. Its no where near the same as "there is no way I will leave". To me, anything can be justified as something that can "uproot him". If an NBA team offers him 8 mil per, and he leaves and everyone says "what happened to uproot?" he could easily say "thats the type of opportunity that uprooted me".

Of course, you think that. You're a miserable loser who loves nothing more than bitching and moaning. Get pumped.

Yea because being up 2 possessions with at least 4 possessions for each team remaining should automatically be a win. You must be one of those that thinks that all you have to do is have the most talent. A roster full of NBA players is great, but you can only put 5 players on the floor at one time. You see it as Cal has cost us 3 championships, yet I tend to look at it as Cal has had us in position to win 4 championships, possibly 5. Maybe Cal is the reason we didn't win those 3 championships, but he also the reason that we can talk about what could have been. UK is the greatest program of all time, can you name the coaches that have multiple championships at UK? I'll give you a hint, there's only one.

Ignorant take. Your basketball knowledge could fit inside a mustard seed.

Lol. I've posted 1620 times and according to you, I have mentioned you 3 times. Clearly you need to google the definition of obsessed. :smiley:

Comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?

As you read through the threads, make note of those who just "call out" other fans by name, despite that fan not posting in the thread at all.
"Spoiler alert..." You likely won't find any.
Yet you've done so with me in at least 3 different threads that are in the board right now.

I had no intention of posting in this thread, mostly because Cal staying or going isn't something I really spend any time worrying about. But, I will give my opinion, since Irish apparently pines for it.

I think Coach Cal's comments are 'coach speak' to a degree. I also think that he sincerely means them & intends to stay here. But I also believe that those comments will not matter if an NBA team, with a roster that intrigues him, were to make a legitimate offer sometime down the road.

That's not what he just said though. That's what people like our are missing. This is the most definitive statement he's made and it wasn't close to what he said at Memphis when hopping off a plane immediately after a season-ending loss from a reporter who basically ambushed him with the question.

He will say this the day before he leaves as all coaches do and just as all of us would do. No one plans on leaving until it's time to finally leave, right? He may be here one more day or ten years. Enjoy the experience.
Why are you saying "we"? "We" aren't IU fans.

Reactions: ladywildcat2009
I read the comments as "someone's really going to have to blow me away with an offer" type of thing. I think Cleveland got really close but in the end, I think a desire to win a 2nd title added with the roster from this past season was just too much. I think that 2nd title is something on his bucket list. I also think he's being somewhat sincere when he talks about giving back and seeing these kids succeed in the pros. There's seems to be a very strong connection to the kids that come through here and I think seeing the successes of Wall, Cousins, Davis and company give him a lot of pride in this job. This is his top priority. It's why I stand behind what he said last week.

I never thought he would return to the pros until last year but with these comments, I don't know if he will go coach in the pros after hearing this . Maybe he moves on in a few years and takes a Phil Jackson type job but you have to read this and fell pretty good he's going to be here for the next few years.

That's not what he just said though. That's what people like our are missing. This is the most definitive statement he's made and it wasn't close to what he said at Memphis when hopping off a plane immediately after a season-ending loss from a reporter who basically ambushed him with the question.
Exactly. No,coach in his right mind would say anything different walking off a plane after a season ending loss in front of players and fans in such a down moment. this is the summer and he is taking time to explain where he is at in his career. Cal has never done anything like this but yet it still isn't enough for some

Ignorant take. Your basketball knowledge could fit inside a mustard seed.
I agree. Without Cal, we would not be in the position to win the title you can say cal cost us a title with his coaching blah blah blah but at the end of the day his run is one. Of the greatest in years. Ten years before he got here we didn't sniff a final four much less a title. But now we are in the hunt every year it's not enough

I have a serious question for all those that call statements like this "coach speak" or claim that these statements come from a politically correct angle....What could Cal say that would quiet your skepticism?

Cal cost Kentucky 3 titles by not adapting? Da F? Well Tubby and Billy made us sit through 13 years without a Final Four by recruiting mediocre players.

Cal has GOTTEN Kentucky to 4 Final Fours in 5 years and yet he "cost" Kentucky titles? Well how the hell did those 5 star AAs GET to Kentucky exactly? They just magically decide after years and years of Kentucky being irrelevant during their formative childhood years that they would sign and play for UK? Just when you thought you've read it all on here.....

Calipari cost Kentucky AT LEAST three titles? Not three, mind you, but at least three and possibly more. [laughing] Could be four or five. He's cost us FIVE TITLES you guys!! FIVE!! We'd have 13 titles if not for John Calipari.

Cal cost Kentucky 3 titles by not adapting? Da F? Well Tubby and Billy made us sit through 13 years without a Final Four by recruiting mediocre players.

Cal has GOTTEN Kentucky to 4 Final Fours in 5 years and yet he "cost" Kentucky titles? Well how the hell did those 5 star AAs GET to Kentucky exactly? They just magically decide after years and years of Kentucky being irrelevant during their formative childhood years that they would sign and play for UK? Just when you thought you've read it all on here.....

Awesome slang. What are you like 15 years old? Amazes me how so many on here will type their responses exactly how they speak like a Mark Twain book. I can't imagine how often you butcher the king's english.

Calipari cost Kentucky 3 championships? If we hadn't fired Billy G and hired him we'd have gone 20-15 and lost in the NIT. If that's what you prefer then you're a brainless idiot.

So, we have one Hoosier loser, two obvious trolls, a teenage agitator and the guy who manages to combine stupidity and bitterness in one ugly package all weighing in negatively on a thread aimed at celebrating the good news that Cal is very, very likely to retire at Kentucky.

Rupp Rafters at its finest. At least we can all see clearly those who are the most traumatized and crushed by Kentucky's fantastic run to four Final Fours and a championship in the past five years.

How did you get that "Cal is VERY, VERY likely to retire at Kentucky" from that quote? You are the exact kind of dope that I am talking about. No one is saying his statement is negative. We are saying don't take it as gospel that he is going to be here forever, which is clearly exactly how you took it. Sure it feels good to have him make a statement like that giving us solace for the present, but it really means nothing for the future. Again, thats the point. This thread has blazed right over your head. You are exactly the type of fool that will get pissed when he leaves and say "but i thought he said....".

How did you get that "Cal is VERY, VERY likely to retire at Kentucky" from that quote? You are the exact kind of dope that I am talking about. No one is saying his statement is negative. We are saying don't take it as gospel that he is going to be here forever, which is clearly exactly how you took it. Sure it feels good to have him make a statement like that giving us solace for the present, but it really means nothing for the future. Again, thats the point. This thread has blazed right over your head. You are exactly the type of fool that will get pissed when he leaves and say "but i thought he said....".

What would Cal have to say to convince you otherwise?

Much ado about nothing. Cal's obligations have not changed. A needy NBA team is free to try and make its best deal. Unscrupulous recruiters will remain unscrupulous. Worst of all, any media type needing attention will exploit all this same way they do today by rumor mongering. In other words, "same ole, same ole."

Glad he said what he said, but the only benefit will be false security for a few fans that don't see the big picture.

What's the big picture?

What would Cal have to say to convince you otherwise?

There is nothing he could say outside of "Im going to retire here" that would convince me otherwise. Again, thats my point that seems to have escaped a few on here. Let me say this again; unless Cal says he will retire here, don't get too excited over statments such as "uproot" etc.

Im not saying that we can't be happy with these types of statements, im simply saying that outside of some slight comfort for the present, they don't really mean much.

Awesome slang. What are you like 15 years old? Amazes me how so many on here will type their responses exactly how they speak like a Mark Twain book. I can't imagine how often you butcher the king's english.

Awesome slang. What are you, 15 years old? It amazes me that so many here type their responses exactly how they speak--as if this forum is a Mark Twain book. I can't imagine how often you butcher the King's English.

Reactions: jrpross
I think some of our posters almost seem to want him to leave just so they can have their "I told you so" moment on a message board,
Yup. And from there there are 3 options:

1. We'll get a guy who flops. Nobody will be happy for a few years (and it'll take much more than two years if he isn't as awful a person as BCG - this would mean 5-7 years of mediocrity).

2. We'll get Sean Miller or similar, who will be like Cal lite and do what all the top coaches are doing now (like K and Cal), and these guys will still be miserable.

3. We'll get a high level coach who is substantially less successful than Cal but who does the "Traditional thing" like a Belein or a Bennett or even an Izzo. He will not be in the same universe as Cal in terms of on-the-court success, but we rational fans will be content, because those coaches are still very good, and we understand that not every coach can win 85% of his games.
However, the eeyores will be far happier than under Cal, which completely exposes their hypocrisy when they spew BS about Cal supporters not caring about the program.
By far the #1 reason we love Cal because he is adding a zillion Ws and very few Ls to UK's all time column, and giving us some banners while he's at it - all with zero scandals. That's as pro-UK as it gets.
On the other hand, some of you goobers will take fewer of those Ws and more of those Ls just because you personally dislike the man.
So let's be clear about who is pro-UK here.

Reactions: michaeluk26 and W2R
Yup. And from there there are 3 options:

1. We'll get a guy who flops. Nobody will be happy for a few years (and it'll take much more than two years if he isn't as awful a person as BCG - this would mean 5-7 years of mediocrity).

2. We'll get Sean Miller or similar, who will be like Cal lite and do what all the top coaches are doing now (like K and Cal), and these guys will still be miserable.

3. We'll get a high level coach who is substantially less successful than Cal but who does the "Traditional thing" like a Belein or a Bennett or even an Izzo. He will not be in the same universe as Cal in terms of on-the-court success, but we rational fans will be content, because those coaches are still very good, and we understand that not every coach can win 85% of his games.
However, the eeyores will be far happier than under Cal, which completely exposes their hypocrisy when they spew BS about Cal supporters not caring about the program.
By far the #1 reason we love Cal because he is adding a zillion Ws and very few Ls to UK's all time column, and giving us some banners while he's at it.
On the other hand, some of you goobers will take fewer of those Ws and more of those Ls just because you personally dislike the man.
So let's be clear about who is pro-UK here.

And many of us, who are long time UK fans will continue to be UK fans in any of those scenarios.

And those who are only Cal fans will do whatever they do. Some of you spend way too much precious time worrying, fretting, and hand wringing over what he might or might not do.
He will be here until he isn't. I don't see how some of you can enjoy him at all while he is here, because you are so scared of what it will be like when he isn't.

There is nothing he could say outside of "Im going to retire here" that would convince me otherwise. Again, thats my point that seems to have escaped a few on here. Let me say this again; unless Cal says he will retire here, don't get too excited over statments such as "uproot" etc.

Im not saying that we can't be happy with these types of statements, im simply saying that outside of some slight comfort for the present, they don't really mean much.

That is very short sighted but ok. I don't understand why Cal is expected to make these definitive statements each year but coaches like Rick Pitino, Coack K, Tom Izzo, Roy Williams and Jim Boeheim have dealt with this very little if at all. Just because Cal is attractive to the NBA doesn't mean the NBA is attractive enough to Cal to leave. I'm sure NBA teams have had discussions about openings with everyone of those coaches I just mentioned. Do they have one foot out the door? Just because he doesn't make an absolute statement doesn't mean what he says holds no value. It's a false equivalency. Could an NBA team come scoop him up? Sure they could anything can happen. I just don't understand why he is met with so much skepticism when he makes these statements.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT