ADVERTISEMENT

Cal says: "It took me 20 years to get here" (UK)......

hey troll, what coach says "i'm going to retire here"?

wouldn't say it at uk anyway. even someone on cal's level would be assuming too much power to say that. he doesn't know when he's retiring. he'd never corner himself and we'd probably never let him. although when you reach company like rupp at uk you are pretty damn influencial.

point is he's not going to say it for many reasons. just like every other coach with a brain. maybe if he was coaching iu he'd say it..."look hoosiers...i own you because you suck too much". and he'd be right.

Supply and demand. Cal's a product like any other. Nothing he says or does can change that.

So if he says he will retire here it doesn't change the fact that he could leave one day? Or if he retires here then that doesn't matter because he was planning to leave all along he just never got around to it? That doesn't make any sense. Cal is not something being pushed off an assembly line for human consumption. The choice is 100 percent up to him and his family. If he doesn't plan to leave then no amount of demand could change his mind.

It's really sad that Cal's comments provide any UK fan with anything other than joy.

Some people just want to be mad/angry/deplorable.

cal has said/done everything possible from day one to ensure bbn that this is his dream job. looks like he has ethics/honesty because he's still here and just signed another extension. if he retires here you can assume his last few years he'll be the highest paid college coach ever. because if he stays we're winning more championships. deep down this is the scary possibility hanging over our rival's heads.

So if he says he will retire here it doesn't change the fact that he could leave one day? Or if he retires here then that doesn't matter because he was planning to leave all along he just never got around to it? That doesn't make any sense. Cal is not something being pushed off an assembly line for human consumption. The choice is 100 percent up to him and his family. If he doesn't plan to leave then no amount of demand could change his mind.

I strongly recommend a class in microeconomics. Those rules apply to more than loaves of bread. They even apply to you.

Yes, he could leave given the right price and conditions regardless of what he says. Nothing has changed, Recruiters, media and all will act the same. Sorry this makes you uncomfortable. Everyone knows this.

And many of us, who are long time UK fans will continue to be UK fans in any of those scenarios.

And those who are only Cal fans will do whatever they do. Some of you spend way too much precious time worrying, fretting, and hand wringing over what he might or might not do.
He will be here until he isn't. I don't see how some of you can enjoy him at all while he is here, because you are so scared of what it will be like when he isn't.
I just don't understand your logic...you are complaining about "fretters". I see very few posts that are fretting and hand wringing over him leaving. The majority are just basically saying "it could possible suck if he left".
Others keep saying that any defense of Cal is nut-licking...
There is no way I could enjoy a team if I despised the coach...

Not scared at all. UK has championships with 5 coaches - nobody can match that. UK will go on. But why would you want a Rupp or Cal or Pitino level era to end any earlier than it has to? We'll be fine with a new coach, even if he's a bust - we'll right the ship no matter what. But we won't be pulling away in the all-time categories at the current rate until we get our next legendary coach.

You'll still be a fan of UK, huh? I guess we have a different definition of "fan". To me, a fan wants the team to have the most on court success possible, usually with the caveat that they don't cheat. You still love the team when they're doing poorly and cheer every time, but all else being equal (specifically in regards to cleanness) you'll take glory and success for the team.

That's not you.

Last edited:
Awesome slang. What are you like 15 years old? Amazes me how so many on here will type their responses exactly how they speak like a Mark Twain book. I can't imagine how often you butcher the king's english.
I'm no youngster but I always keep an open mind to the new ideas and changes. In this era of texting and smart phones I see no problem with abbreviations and symbols especially when writing on message boards, and btw try fixing your signatures. I can't stand seeing those X
things.;)

I strongly recommend a class in microeconomics. Those rules apply to more than loaves of bread. They even apply to you.

Yes, he could leave given the right price and conditions regardless of what he says. Nothing has changed, Recruiters, media and all will act the same. Sorry this makes you uncomfortable. Everyone knows this.

Did microeconomics teach you to be smug? Seems to be the case. You say he could leave given "the right price and conditions" but then say nothing has changed. That is my entire point. NOTHING HAS CHANGED. Recruiters say he's gone, he is still here. Media say he is gone, he is still here. Does that imply the demand hasn't been strong enough to sway him? Were the conditions not to his liking? He has been tied to the Lakers, Cavs, Pelicans, Bulls, Grizzlies and Knicks (I may be missing a few).

All of the teams Cal was mentioned with have/had championship aspirations when they contacted him. The Cavs offered him the same amount of money as UK and roster control, he declined. That is the only job that I've heard him be tied to that he actually considered but I could be wrong. At some point people like you are going to have to take Cal's actions into account and take the man at his word. Using introductory college courses to explain your loose adaptation of the situation is just silly. Look at the entirety of his actions since he's been at UK.

I don't think he said anything definitive one way or another in that. Cal is a pro at this. He's gifted at speaking without saying anything. Listen to his call in show. He has mastered the art of diversion, and owning the talking points, while basically never having any word that has substance behind it.

Bottom line. He knows that the UK job is unique and you can create legacy here. This is a different place. Imagine if he won 5 titles and we surpassed UCLA. He could create generational wealth for his family by just having his namesake. His estate would probably be visited like Graceland and could have tours set up. You can be Elvis in this state. We are that kind of crazy and only a couple other jobs offer that.

That said, that interview didn't change anything.

And it doesn't change anything when Self, K, Williams or others say or imply similar statements either.

Those guys have as much of chance leaving for the NBA as Cal. In fact, what evidence has Cal ever shown that he wants to coach in the NBA again?

The whole assumption is based on loosely-connected anecdotal pieces that essentially equal the stuff of fiction. I put as much weight in UK retaining Calipari as I do Kansas retaining Self or Duke retaining K for the next few years.

There might as well be an annual narrative about Self taking an NBA job.

Last edited:
All our rival schools after they read that piece...

cries2.gif

And some of our fans as well. Some of the contrarians who take the opposite position of anything that could remotely be seen as practicing "homerisms" would actually rather be right on Cal leaving for the NBA than keep him around and be proven wrong.

Did microeconomics teach you to be smug? Seems to be the case. You say he could leave given "the right price and conditions" but then say nothing has changed. That is my entire point. NOTHING HAS CHANGED. Recruiters say he's gone, he is still here. Media say he is gone, he is still here. Does that imply the demand hasn't been strong enough to sway him? Were the conditions not to his liking? He has been tied to the Lakers, Cavs, Pelicans, Bulls, Grizzlies and Knicks (I may be missing a few).

All of the teams Cal was mentioned with have/had championship aspirations when they contacted him. The Cavs offered him the same amount of money as UK and roster control, he declined. That is the only job that I've heard him be tied to that he actually considered but I could be wrong. At some point people like you are going to have to take Cal's actions into account and take the man at his word. Using introductory college courses to explain your loose adaptation of the situation is just silly. Look at the entirety of his actions since he's been at UK.

Ok, I read that mess a couple of times and I have no idea what your point was. Maybe you didn't have one or maybe you don't know what your point was either.

All I'm saying is that his comments have no effect on anything save nervous fans. Some, such as yourself, may feel more secure but that won't stop the media or recruiters from doing what they damn well please. He can do what he wants, when he wants. Period. Same as its always been. He may be here 15 years. He may be gone tomorrow. Nothing has changed. Rumors will persist. Recruiters will still push the same lies. The media will trumpet every rumor they hear about him leaving because that throws a certain segment of this fanbase into a tizzy. I'm just happy to have him for the time he is here but I'm not foolish enough to think that no motivation exists which could turn his head toward another job.

Oh, and add freshman composition to the class load.

Its a very political answer. Its no where near the same as "there is no way I will leave". To me, anything can be justified as something that can "uproot him". If an NBA team offers him 8 mil per, and he leaves and everyone says "what happened to uproot?" he could easily say "thats the type of opportunity that uprooted me".

You are the most negative person on this forum, while also bashing Cal relentlessly.

Ok, I read that mess a couple of times and I have no idea what your point was. Maybe you didn't have one or maybe you don't know what your point was either.

All I'm saying is that his comments have no effect on anything save nervous fans. Some, such as yourself, may feel more secure but that won't stop the media or recruiters from doing what they damn well please. He can do what he wants, when he wants. Period. Same as its always been. He may be here 15 years. He may be gone tomorrow. Nothing has changed. Rumors will persist. Recruiters will still push the same lies. The media will trumpet every rumor they hear about him leaving because that throws a certain segment of this fanbase into a tizzy. I'm just happy to have him for the time he is here but I'm not foolish enough to think that no motivation exists which could turn his head toward another job.

Oh, and add freshman composition to the class load.

I'll add composition to the class load if you add reading comprehension. The point I'm trying to make is at some point in Cal's career at UK folks like yourself are going to have to stop displaying so much skepticism. When the man says he has to be uprooted to leave, what about that statement makes you think he has motivation to look towards another job? Like I said you're right, nothing has changed. Cal has been the coach at UK for six years and hasn't left despite constant speculation and countless suitors. It's time that your section of the fan base start taking this into account. If it took Cal 20 years to get this job why would he defect for a job he hasn't really ever coveted?

Will there be Cal to the NBA rumors next year? Maybe. What about 5 years from now? 10? 15? I don't care how many people have an axe to grind with him, no one can keep up a false narrative that long. Not the media, not reporters, not anyone. Cal is making statements like these for that reason. To prove his interest in jumping ship is ridiculous. I just don't understand how a person can't see how invested he is in Kentucky.

I'll add composition to the class load if you add reading comprehension. The point I'm trying to make is at some point in Cal's career at UK folks like yourself are going to have to stop displaying so much skepticism. When the man says he has to be uprooted to leave what about that statement makes you think he has motivation to look towards another job? Like I said you're right, nothing has changed. Cal has been the coach at UK for six years and hasn't left despite constant speculation and countless suitors. It's time that your section of the fan base start taking this into account. If it took Cal 20 years to get this job why would he defect for a job he hasn't really ever coveted?

Will there be Cal to the NBA rumors next year? Maybe. What about 5 years from now? 10? 15? I don't care how many people have an axe to grind with him, no one can keep up a false narrative that long. Not the media, not reporters, not anyone. Cal is making statements like these for that reason. To prove his interest in jumping ship is ridiculous. I just don't understand how a person can't see how invested he is in Kentucky.

Oh my, I can see I've intruded on a fantasy.

Yeah, you are right. The NBA hasn't made enough money to pull him away. The recruiters are all drafting letters of apology to all the prospects they've lied to. The various members of the media are putting together articles of retraction, announcing that Cal has been surgically implanted in the Kentucky Basketball program.

Meanwhile, I'll try to wise up and convince myself that a high skilled and respected coach would never decide to reach his potential in a free enterprise system. I am such a capitalist pig.

And if you believe any of that, don't waste your tuition. Well, except the capitalist pig part. I'm guilty as charged in that respect.

Coach Speak. Live it. Learn it.

I just don't understand your logic...you are complaining about "fretters". I see very few posts that are fretting and hand wringing over him leaving. The majority are just basically saying "it could possible suck if he left".
Others keep saying that any defense of Cal is nut-licking...
There is no way I could enjoy a team if I despised the coach...
It is because reading comprehension isn't one of his strong suits. [jumpingsmile]

Oh my, I can see I've intruded on a fantasy.

Yeah, you are right. The NBA hasn't made enough money to pull him away. The recruiters are all drafting letters of apology to all the prospects they've lied to. The various members of the media are putting together articles of retraction, announcing that Cal has been surgically implanted in the Kentucky Basketball program.

Meanwhile, I'll try to wise up and convince myself that a high skilled and respected coach would never decide to reach his potential in a free enterprise system. I am such a capitalist pig.

And if you believe any of that, don't waste your tuition. Well, except the capitalist pig part. I'm guilty as charged in that respect.

Coach Speak. Live it. Learn it.

It really must suck to be that jaded. How can you determine what Cal's potential is? Why does Cal have to leave UK to reach that potential? Why can't Cal truly be enriched in his current position?

I never said that media members or recruiters would retract any of the statements that they've already made. What I'm saying is that at some point the rumors will get old. Do you really think that if Cal is here in 5-10 years that claiming he has one foot out the door will work anymore? Recruits and their families will wise up (this will most likely happen earlier). NBA teams will stop inquiring and move on to younger more attractive hires.

How many NBA offers do you think Coach K gets a year? He is the best coach in college basketball, why doesn't he want to "reach his potential in a free enterprise system"? Why has Jim Boeheim never tried his hand at the league? What about Izzo? Roy Williams? Bill Self? According to your model every great college coach should be looking to jump to the NBA. This is just not the case man.

I have heard the horror stories about tubby a last few years and the legion of doom threads. I could see why people got into arguements back then but this baffles me. No matter the results, what he says or does there is always going to be Cal haters, detractors, ect. We are UK , I get that but what has Cal done or haven't done to attribute to critisizm of everything he has spoken. I can see outside fanbases and journalist stirring the pot but I don't understand why some of bbn are so hell bent on stirring the pot

It really must suck to be that jaded. How can you determine what Cal's potential is? Why does Cal have to leave UK to reach that potential? Why can't Cal truly be enriched in his current position?

I never said that media members or recruiters would retract any of the statements that they've already made. What I'm saying is that at some point the rumors will get old. Do you really think that if Cal is here in 5-10 years that claiming he has one foot out the door will work anymore? Recruits and their families will wise up (this will most likely happen earlier). NBA teams will stop inquiring and move on to younger more attractive hires.

How many NBA offers do you think Coach K gets a year? He is the best coach in college basketball, why doesn't he want to "reach his potential in a free enterprise system"? Why has Jim Boeheim never tried his hand at the league? What about Izzo? Roy Williams? Bill Self? According to your model every great college coach should be looking to jump to the NBA. This is just not the case man.

LOL!!!! Are you serious? Never mind, you probably are.

Don't let me change your mind. Must be peaceful under that rock. Just keep repeating, "He'll never leave, he'll never leave". Works best with ruby slippers and a sincere pumpkin patch.

Wow, takes all kinds I guess.

wow, and I thought Pitino was the ultimate king of hyperbole...he must have learned from some of these posters.
Who was the poster that wanted to beat his posting rights that Cal. would be gone?

LOL!!!! Are you serious? Never mind, you probably are.

Don't let me change your mind. Must be peaceful under that rock. Just keep repeating, "He'll never leave, he'll never leave". Works best with ruby slippers and a sincere pumpkin patch.

Wow, takes all kinds I guess.

You didn't answer any of the questions I posed. You have no legitimate reasons that Cal will leave for the NBA. You've spewed conjecture about economics and free enterprise but can't form any legitimate reasoning pertaining to any actual possibilities. You've also assumed my thought process at several points only to be wrong.

Only three coaches in the NBA make more money than Cal, two have championships (Gregg Popovich and Doc Rivers) and one is coaching a NBA bottom feeder with no championship aspirations. (Flip Saunders). We know Cal ain't jumping to the NBA to coach the Timberwolves, so tell me what championship level team will offer Cal that kind of money + control? (Please enlighten me!)

I never said Cal will be here forever but I do believe this will be his last coaching gig. You obviously know otherwise. So tell me in all of your infinite wisdom when do you expect this departure?

Reactions: catfaninsc
You didn't answer any of the questions I posed. You have no legitimate reasons that Cal will leave for the NBA. You've spewed conjecture about economics and free enterprise but can't form any legitimate reasoning pertaining to any actual possibilities. You've also assumed my thought process at several points only to be wrong.

Only three coaches in the NBA make more money than Cal, two have championships (Gregg Popovich and Doc Rivers) and one is coaching a NBA bottom feeder with no championship aspirations. (Flip Saunders). We know Cal ain't jumping to the NBA to coach the Timberwolves, so tell me what championship level team will offer Cal that kind of money + control? (Please enlighten me!)

I never said Cal will be here forever but I do believe this will be his last coaching gig. You obviously know otherwise. So tell me in all of your infinite wisdom when do you expect this departure?

Why should I waste my time with rhetorical nonsense? You just keep clicking those ruby slippers and keep telling yourself "he'll never leave, he'll never leave". I'm jaded, remember?

Damn, he was serious. Scary.

Why should I waste my time with rhetorical nonsense? You just keep clicking those ruby slippers and keep telling yourself "he'll never leave, he'll never leave". I'm jaded, remember?

Damn, he was serious. Scary.

You're funny. Gotta love when a poster breaks down mentally and resorts to personal attacks. Have fun with the internet man.

You're funny. Gotta love when a poster breaks down mentally and resorts to personal attacks. Have fun with the internet man.

Oh, I hurt your feelings. Ok, I'll play.

He's left for NBA once already. He's motivated by money. He is one of the best at his job. The best people attract attention. He retains an agent which makes money when he makes money. He was sufficient motivated by money that his agent was able to secure a very lucrative contract for him. KY saw fit to extend his contract for some reason. NBA clubs can get pretty motivated to hire a coach. His statement changed NONE of this. I could go on, but you seem to be pretty invested in believing this so I don't want to make you feel even worse.

Do I think he's going to go? I have no idea. None at all. His statement the other day didn't push me one way or other in my thinking either. And this is the point is I was making in my original post. As I have stated in many other contexts, this is life as a Kentucky fan. If you have the best coach and you put him in the best program, somebody is going to try and take him away. Its supply and demand. (oops, sorry, you don't like those words). I'm happy he's in high demand. We are benefiting buckets as a result. This is a problem we WANT to have. I expect teams to try and take him. To make a long story short, Cal lives in the real world, not some fantasy land. It is a year to year proposition.

Now, run along. He's not really going anywhere. The bad internet man was just trying to scare you. Everything will stay just the same.

He's left for NBA once already. He's motivated by money. He is one of the best at his job. The best people attract attention. He retains an agent which makes money when he makes money. He was sufficient motivated by money that his agent was able to secure a very lucrative contract for him. KY saw fit to extend his contract for some reason. NBA clubs can get pretty motivated to hire a coach. His statement changed NONE of this. I could go on, but you seem to be pretty invested in believing this so I don't want to make you feel even worse.

Do I think he's going to go? I have no idea. None at all. His statement the other day didn't push me one way or other in my thinking either. And this is the point is I was making in my original post. As I have stated in many other contexts, this is life as a Kentucky fan. If you have the best coach and you put him in the best program, somebody is going to try and take him away. Its supply and demand. (oops, sorry, you don't like those words). I'm happy he's in high demand. We are benefiting buckets as a result. This is a problem we WANT to have. I expect teams to try and take him. To make a long story short, Cal lives in the real world, not some fantasy land. It is a year to year proposition.

Now, run along. He's not really going anywhere. The bad internet man was just trying to scare you. Everything will stay just the same.

Great post.

I always find it funny when posters personally attack other posters on message boards, and when those attacks are so incredibly off-base and inaccurate that it's comical. Easy to do that though when you're one of the most despised posters on this website (that's not blindly throwing a jab, that is well-known).

Ok. Everything you said is still conjecture but fine. Cal shifted his way of thinking which is clear by his statements. If you want to take the pessimist view and think Cal is always after the bottom line then fine. In the future try to back your opinions with facts and not your own world views. Also try to learn to elaborate a point without second grade level insults.

Great post.

Glad you could poke your head out of that hole lol.

Ok. Everything you said is still conjecture but fine. Cal shifted his way of thinking which is clear by his statements. If you want to take the pessimist view and think Cal is always after the bottom line then fine. In the future try to back your opinions with facts and not your own world views. Also try to learn to elaborate a point without second grade level insults.

You just continue to miss it over and over and over again. "Cal shifted his way of thinking"? What makes you think that? Because he said he would have to be "uprooted"? You are setting yourself up for major disappointment if you believe that he has shifted his way of thinking. Im not saying Cal is destined to leave. Im merely pointing out that statements such as "uproot me" mean very little. Yet apparently you have taken it to heart and clearly you are of the position that a statement like that means he is here forever. That was the whole point for my posting in this thread in the first place was to say to those who see this statement as some sort of nail in the coffin to any Cal to NBA rumors that they shouldn't get so invested in comments like this. Again, clearly you are one that has taken this statement to heart and I feel for you. Im not saying you can't be encouraged by it, its definitely encouraging. Im just saying don't take it as gospel that he will be here. It means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Well, that's the thing, those are facts. He did go to the NBA. He does retain an agent. He did just get a contract extension. I could go on. If I were a pessimist, I'd be saying he's gone. But I didn't say that either did I? I merely stated that his comment didn't change my opinion that he is a hot commodity and as such will attract attention. He's listened in the past. Just ask the NBA and Memphis. So you might want to check your facts or find something else to whine about.

I have no clue what he's going to do. I plan to continue enjoying his time here while it lasts. If you know factually that he never going, then dream on.

If he stays, great. If He goes, fine. It's not like we're winning championships with him anyway.

Yeah, 2012 never happened. UK also hasn't been to 4 final fours in 5 years, with those 4 being almost 25% of UK's all time appearances in the Final Four. Yeah, lets go back to the Tubby and BCG years.

Reactions: W2R
You just continue to miss it over and over and over again. "Cal shifted his way of thinking"? What makes you think that? Because he said he would have to be "uprooted"? You are setting yourself up for major disappointment if you believe that he has shifted his way of thinking. Im not saying Cal is destined to leave. Im merely pointing out that statements such as "uproot me" mean very little. Yet apparently you have taken it to heart and clearly you are of the position that a statement like that means he is here forever. That was the whole point for my posting in this thread in the first place was to say to those who see this statement as some sort of nail in the coffin to any Cal to NBA rumors that they shouldn't get so invested in comments like this. Again, clearly you are one that has taken this statement to heart and I feel for you. Im not saying you can't be encouraged by it, its definitely encouraging. Im just saying don't take it as gospel that he will be here. It means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Name one time he's said anything of this sort while at UK? This is the first time I can remember he has truly addressed NBA rumors. I've never said in any of my post it was definitive he stays. You assumed that. The point I'm trying to make that YOU have been missing is that everything doesn't have to have an angle. Sometimes people mean what they say. Maybe Cal was thinking about the future when he said it. We won't ever be in his head to know. If he says he needs to be uprooted I believe that it makes it more than likely he stays. Why are people not allowed to think this way? You don't have to feel for me. I'm an optimistic human. Id much rather be that way.

Look at it this way. Cal is built for the college game. It is perfect for him and he is perfect for it. The college game is a coaches game. The league is a players game. I have taken him at his word since he has been here. And I take him at his word now. This is the perfect place and job for him and he knows it. Great place to live, great $$$$$, great fan base, etc. etc. etc.

Name one time he's said anything of this sort while at UK? This is the first time I can remember he has truly addressed NBA rumors. I've never said in any of my post it was definitive he stays. You assumed that. The point I'm trying to make that YOU have been missing is that everything doesn't have to have an angle. Sometimes people mean what they say. Maybe Cal was thinking about the future when he said it. We won't ever be in his head to know. If he says he needs to be uprooted I believe that it makes it more than likely he stays. Why are people not allowed to think this way? You don't have to feel for me. I'm an optimistic human. Id much rather be that way.

Great post actually because now we have discovered our difference. You think that a statement about "being uprooted" means "its more likely he stays". I believe it means absolutely nothing and he could be gone tomorrow. Guess we will see. I will error on the side of caution in terms of getting my hopes up that he is here for the long haul. Good day.

9 -10 million bucks will up a lot of roots. So will control, fringe benefits, etc. Optimism doesn't come into play. It's business. John Calipari is a hell of a big business.

He's made similar statements every year. Ky has been his dream job from day one. Every coach says it. Cal is no fool. He'll make the best decision for himself and his family from year to year and offer to offer. Maybe he retires here, maybe not. If you think you can devine the answer from his comment, enjoy that fantasy. It is that, a flight of fancy, not optimism.

I'm optimistic that we'll continue to have great success as along as he's here. He'll put a lot of kids in the NBA. We'll win a lot of games and continue deep runs in the tournament.

But when it's over, it's over. You gotta be pretty foolish to think that his statement contains a hint of when that might be.

Reactions: CUT-NETS
ADVERTISEMENT