ADVERTISEMENT

Cal says: "It took me 20 years to get here" (UK)......

thank%20you_zpstbpqwfxd.gif

That's pretty clear to me, it won't stop our opposition from saying it's just talk.
That's a good thing to put that feather in Cals cap and use those comments against them.
I'm much better than they are and the nba wants me and they want me to leave but I'm not going anywhere.

“My wife laughs about it,” Calipari said. “People are going nuts. They haven’t figured this out?”

That's a good interview with Cal and Mitch. Mitch opens up about a lot too

Its a very political answer. Its no where near the same as "there is no way I will leave". To me, anything can be justified as something that can "uproot him". If an NBA team offers him 8 mil per, and he leaves and everyone says "what happened to uproot?" he could easily say "thats the type of opportunity that uprooted me".

Its a very political answer. Its no where near the same as "there is no way I will leave". To me, anything can be justified as something that can "uproot him". If an NBA team offers him 8 mil per, and he leaves and everyone says "what happened to uproot?" he could easily say "thats the type of opportunity that uprooted me".
Some are never satisfied. This is the most transparent Cal has ever been in his career talking about stuff like this. At Memphis he wanted to coach Pitt when that job came open early on, then ncstate came calling, and numerous NBA inquiries. He never once defended his stance like he did in this article. He always left a crack . He did say coming coming off the plane after NCAA loss. he said was staying in Memphis but what coach in their right mind would say any different getting off a plane right when the season ended after a loss.

This was the expected answer from you and 3rex.

Reactions: dmaso44
By far most decisive interview yet. I think it has alot to do with the new found job security of David Blatt. I think coaching Lebron + tons of money and control was the only thing that would've made him leave. That's all but off the table now.

Granted he gives himself some wiggle room. But it's far more decisive than the past.

You suck.

A few people will never be happy with any answer Cal gives, some UK fans are so insecure.

Exactly. I'm not saying he won't ever leave, but you have to at least appreciate certain comments and take them at face value. He could say "God strike me dead if I ever take another job" and they would still nitpick it and say it means nothing. But that's pretty much the point isn't it? No matter what he says it is not binding. He could say anything and still leave, so why get so invested in looking for a more definitive statement?

Exactly. I'm not saying he won't ever leave, but you have to at least appreciate certain comments and take them at face value. He could say "God strike me dead if I ever take another job" and they would still nitpick it and say it means nothing. But that's pretty much the point isn't it? No matter what he says it is not binding. He could say anything and still leave, so why get so invested in looking for a more definitive statement?

Then why get so invested in him saying this?

I don't think he said anything definitive one way or another in that. Cal is a pro at this. He's gifted at speaking without saying anything. Listen to his call in show. He has mastered the art of diversion, and owning the talking points, while basically never having any word that has substance behind it.

Bottom line. He knows that the UK job is unique and you can create legacy here. This is a different place. Imagine if he won 5 titles and we surpassed UCLA. He could create generational wealth for his family by just having his namesake. His estate would probably be visited like Graceland and could have tours set up. You can be Elvis in this state. We are that kind of crazy and only a couple other jobs offer that.

That said, that interview didn't change anything.

Last edited:
Don't worry when the cleveland lebrons have a vacant opening again around 2020, he will say it took me 20 years to get back here. I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon. I do think if he has a shot with a good team 7-8 years from now he would take it. Look at Steve Kerr the guy literally walked into a more than likely championship team. If cal could walk into a team like that in 7-8 years with a guy like Davis on it, I think he would be leave. Some can say he could of done that this past yr, but returned in favor of all the guys sacrificing their dreams to acieve another. Unfortunately, they came up a little short.

You are counting threads and you call me obsessed. The irony is rich.

Yes you are. Not counting anything. I read threads. That's sorta what people on here do. I said "at least 3..."

May be more, who knows. Obsession can be a bit creepy, to be honest.

You nancies paint a false dichotomy - either he states he's going to be here forever and nothing can ever tear him away, or his statement is absolutely meaningless and he could leave at any time.

There is a canyon of options between these two.

In the last couple weeks, he's made the strongest statements you possibly can short of saying "I'm going to retire here, guaranteed".

He's not saying wishy washy things. He's not saying "this is an excellent job". He's not saying he "loves it here". He has in the past, and those are ambiguous platitudes that don't even give you any info into his thought process. He's saying he's been waiting 20 years for the gig, and that he's not even going to entertain certain types of franchises - basically that some contender is going to need to come at him with big numbers to get him to even take a look.

You even alluded to this yourself by talking about an NBA team offering him 8 mil (and he'd probably want roster control, too), and that's just not gonna happen.

So I have trouble seeing why people shouldn't be happy with these quotes.

Yes you are. Not counting anything. I read threads. That's sorta what people on here do. I said "at least 3..."

May be more, who knows. Obsession can be a bit creepy, to be honest.
Lol. I've posted 1620 times and according to you, I have mentioned you 3 times. Clearly you need to google the definition of obsessed. :smiley:

Much ado about nothing. Cal's obligations have not changed. A needy NBA team is free to try and make its best deal. Unscrupulous recruiters will remain unscrupulous. Worst of all, any media type needing attention will exploit all this same way they do today by rumor mongering. In other words, "same ole, same ole."

Glad he said what he said, but the only benefit will be false security for a few fans that don't see the big picture.

You nancies paint a false dichotomy - either he states he's going to be here forever and nothing can ever tear him away, or his statement is absolutely meaningless and he could leave at any time.

There is a canyon of options between these two.

In the last couple weeks, he's made the strongest statements you possibly can short of saying "I'm going to retire here, guaranteed".

He's not saying wishy washy things. He's not saying "this is an excellent job". He's not saying he "loves it here". He has in the past, and those are ambiguous platitudes that don't even give you any info into his thought process. He's saying he's been waiting 20 years for the gig, and that he's not even going to entertain certain types of franchises - basically that some contender is going to need to come at him with big numbers to get him to even take a look.

You even alluded to this yourself by talking about an NBA team offering him 8 mil (and he'd probably want roster control, too), and that's just not gonna happen.

So I have trouble seeing why people shouldn't be happy with these quotes.
Bingo

Other coaches will always use this to their benefit. They don't have the luxury of being the " it" coach in CBB. Cal has charisma and charm. One of the many reasons he is such a great recruiter. That said it becomes a catch 22 with other college coaches that can use his marketability against him. They can always say he is itching to go to the NBA. Just like Dan wolkin article on ksr today from five years ago. Same story dIfferent day different year but yet Cal,stays at UK. He keeps winning and hanging final four banners and championships that we longed for. Yet it's not good enough for some.

Cal could leave UK thirty years from now and someone would say, "I knew he'd never stick around."
Lol cal will have another 38-1 team and some on here would want him gone since there's no logical explanation why he lost one game in the final four. I don't think people realize how lucky we are to have cal as a coach. Some on here were not fans of UK 2007-2009 lol. There is not one coach not named coach k who would thrive and survive in the demands we respect. Lol we have so many conservative fans, but when it comes to coaching , for a title we want it now or you should be fired lol that's our liberal side lol. It's been 3 years since we won a title lol yet we sometimes we forget that. Look at ole Wisconsin, they won't be revelant till 2041, since the last time they won it all was 1941.

Slice: John Calipari Will Always Be Courted by NBA Teams May 27th, 2015 1:43 pm

Former Kentucky assistant Barry “Slice” Rohrssen says NBA teams will always court John Calipari, who loves to embrace challenges. Credit: Mark Zerof-USA TODAY Sports

NEW YORK — The way former Kentucky and current St. John’s assistant Barry “Slice” Rohrssen sees it, John Calipari will always be courted by NBA teams and the challenge of coaching at the game’s highest level will always appeal to him.

“My feelings are that he will always be in demand for an NBA job because he’s a players’ coach and he’s coached as many NBA players as there are out there now except he got them before they hit the NBA,” Rohrssen told SNY.tv on Wednesday afternoon at Yankee Stadium where Red Storm coach Chris Mullin threw out the ceremonial first pitch.

Calipari was most recently linked to the New Orleans Pelicans, where his former players Anthony Davis and Tyreke Evans play. After it was first reported, Calipari Tweeted: “Even though Anthony and Tyreke are in New Orleans, I have no interest in coaching the Pelicans or any other coaching position. I have a great job and I’m happy at Kentucky.”

A newly minted Naismith Hall of Famer, Calipari has also been linked to various other NBA jobs in recent years, including the Cleveland Cavaliers and Los Angeles Lakers. He remains friendly with LeBron James and there will seemingly always be speculating about the two of them linking up in the NBA.

Calipari also just inked an extension at Kentucky through the 2021-22 season, but Rohrssen didn’t rule out a return to the NBA.

“He lives for challenges,” he said. “He creates his own and he sets his bar high. There’s a confidence in him that allows him to strive for the goals and the bar that he sets.”

After his failed stint with the New Jersey Nets in the late 1990s, some believe that Calipari will eventually return to the NBA where the situation is right, meaning a proper mix of money and control.

“He’d be the best one to answer that,” Rorhssen said. “I’ve known him forever and I’ve been fortunate to work for him and be on his staff. He has never said that [the NBA] is a goal. His goals have always been for his players and for his present team.

“I’ve never heard him speak about goals either for himself or for somebody else’s team. They’ve been for his players and for the team that he’s coaching.”

Seven players from this season’s Kentucky team turned pro after a 38-1 season, and six are projected to be drafted, with New Jersey native Karl-Anthony Towns projected as the No. 1 overall pick to the Minnesota Timberwolves by DraftExpress.com.

Last edited:
There will still be rumors out there where coach Cal will be taking that job or this one and even from so called UK fans, I thank coach Cal will retire from UK many yrs from now, he loves this place UK is the best job in BB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT