ADVERTISEMENT

Cal says: "It took me 20 years to get here" (UK)......

9 -10 million bucks will up a lot of roots. So will control, fringe benefits, etc. Optimism doesn't come into play. It's business. John Calipari is a hell of a big business.

He's made similar statements every year. Ky has been his dream job from day one. Every coach says it. Cal is no fool. He'll make the best decision for himself and his family from year to year and offer to offer. Maybe he retires here, maybe not. If you think you can devine the answer from his comment, enjoy that fantasy. It is that, a flight of fancy, not optimism.

I'm optimistic that we'll continue to have great success as along as he's here. He'll put a lot of kids in the NBA. We'll win a lot of games and continue deep runs in the tournament.

But when it's over, it's over. You gotta be pretty foolish to think that his statement contains a hint of when that might be.
I agree with all of this, but there are two areas where we may or may not disagree.

1. Money isn't everything - ie. there are a lot of jobs that could offer me 10 times my current salary that I wouldn't take. So while outbidding UK would take quite a figure, I still don't think that guarantees anything - as we all recall, Memphis was willing to match anything UK threw at him, and they'd probably beat the offer if he would've stayed.

Like you said, money+control is another level of appeal, but I think it's fair to say that those two things alone still aren't enough - Cal doesn't seem to have any desire to take control over a non-contender.

2. I don't think that offer will come. It's not about what a team can afford or anything like that. It's about what they think is reasonable. I could theoretically afford to buy a $50 burrito, and it wouldn't impact my finances negatively in any way. But I'd never do it out of principle.

Similarly, I can't conceive of a way that a contender-level team would ever throw full roster control and 8 figures a year at Cal unless it were in one of those "lure Lebron here" type situations which we avoided last season. He might be able to win big at the NBA level, but he hasn't done anything thus far in the league to prove to be worth that kind of commitment, so out of principle, I'm not sure why a highly successful front office would make such a move.

That's why I'm zero percent worried. I think he's getting nearer and nearer to the point that his value in the college market (demigod status) is so far beyond his value in the pro market ("risky but interesting hire" status) that pretty soon any offer he could realistically receive would involve a step down in both pay and control (considering he has carte blanche here).

9 -10 million bucks will up a lot of roots. So will control, fringe benefits, etc. Optimism doesn't come into play. It's business. John Calipari is a hell of a big business.

He's made similar statements every year. Ky has been his dream job from day one. Every coach says it. Cal is no fool. He'll make the best decision for himself and his family from year to year and offer to offer. Maybe he retires here, maybe not. If you think you can devine the answer from his comment, enjoy that fantasy. It is that, a flight of fancy, not optimism.

I'm optimistic that we'll continue to have great success as along as he's here. He'll put a lot of kids in the NBA. We'll win a lot of games and continue deep runs in the tournament.

But when it's over, it's over. You gotta be pretty foolish to think that his statement contains a hint of when that might be.

Do you think a potential title contender will give Cal 9-10 million AND control? Name another coach who hasn't had any success in the NBA that got a deal like this. There just simply isn't one. If Cal has said KY is his dream job from year to year and offer to offer but is still here how many more years do you need before you give this up?

I will continue to be OPTIMISTIC about the prospects of Cal retiring here. Cal is recruiting 2017 and 2018 players, he's never recruited that far ahead at UK. He made the comments he made which were the most we've heard from him regarding him staying. All things end eventually but I'll take it as good news I fully expected Cal to be here until he retires. If he leaves before that it won't effect life negatively. I will always enjoy UK basketball. Leave me to my "fantasy". Agree to disagree.

What
Do you think a potential title contender will give Cal 9-10 million AND control? Name another coach who hasn't had any success in the NBA that got a deal like this. There just simply isn't one. If Cal has said KY is his dream job from year to year and offer to offer but is still here how many more years do you need before you give this up?

I will continue to be OPTIMISTIC about the prospects of Cal retiring here. Cal is recruiting 2017 and 2018 players, he's never recruited that far ahead at UK. He made the comments he made which were the most we've heard from him regarding him staying. All things end eventually but I'll take it as good news I fully expected Cal to be here until he retires. If he leaves before that it won't effect life negatively. I will always enjoy UK basketball. Leave me to my "fantasy". Agree to disagree.

What makes you think he would need both? Why would he not be the one to set such precedent? Truth is, he makes his own deals according to his own priorities. Business is business. Just don't go disparaging him if things don't work out according to your little fairy tale. I'm guessing you'll be first in that line though.

What

What makes you think he would need both? Why would he not be the one to set such precedent? Truth is, he makes his own deals according to his own priorities. Business is business. Just don't go disparaging him if things don't work out according to your little fairy tale. I'm guessing you'll be first in that line though.

Dude I'm good on the jabs. You obviously don't know me enough (because it's a message board) to make any accurate statements regarding my character or actions. I will wish him well if he leaves. I don't bash folks for their decisions either way. At this point your just saying anything just to talk. Agree to disagree brother. Go to sleep or something. I've literally argue with you until I don't care. Lol.

I agree with all of this, but there are two areas where we may or may not disagree.

1. Money isn't everything - ie. there are a lot of jobs that could offer me 10 times my current salary that I wouldn't take. So while outbidding UK would take quite a figure, I still don't think that guarantees anything - as we all recall, Memphis was willing to match anything UK threw at him, and they'd probably beat the offer if he would've stayed.

Like you said, money+control is another level of appeal, but I think it's fair to say that those two things alone still aren't enough - Cal doesn't seem to have any desire to take control over a non-contender.

2. I don't think that offer will come. It's not about what a team can afford or anything like that. It's about what they think is reasonable. I could theoretically afford to buy a $50 burrito, and it wouldn't impact my finances negatively in any way. But I'd never do it out of principle.

Similarly, I can't conceive of a way that a contender-level team would ever throw full roster control and 8 figures a year at Cal unless it were in one of those "lure Lebron here" type situations which we avoided last season. He might be able to win big at the NBA level, but he hasn't done anything thus far in the league to prove to be worth that kind of commitment, so out of principle, I'm not sure why a highly successful front office would make such a move.

That's why I'm zero percent worried. I think he's getting nearer and nearer to the point that his value in the college market (demigod status) is so far beyond his value in the pro market ("risky but interesting hire" status) that pretty soon any offer he could realistically receive would involve a step down in both pay and control (considering he has carte blanche here).

Has any coach won both and NCAA and NBA title? What other firsts are out there? Also, he failed once there. How badly might he want to change that? There are places at KY where he has very little control. He can't control the stupidity of the NCAA itself and Sandy Bell has a lot to say about matters of risk and how much the program will accept. He also has little control of his roster. Maybe he'd like to try consistency for once. And don't give me the crap about money. You don't get a contract like he has without placing a VERY high priority on compensation.

I'm not saying he's going. I'm just saying a little coach speak didn't erase my common sense. You believe what you want. If he leaves tomorrow or next year, just don't throw the coach speak back in his face because of an unreasonable and foolish (0%, really? That means impossible you know.) perspective.

Cal requires attention more than he does money.

Find an NBA job that offers that on the same level as Kentucky and I'll be happy to listen.

Dude I'm good on the jabs. You obviously don't know me enough (because it's a message board) to make any accurate statements regarding my character or actions. I will wish him well if he leaves. I don't bash folks for their decisions either way. At this point your just saying anything just to talk. Agree to disagree brother. Go to sleep or something. I've literally argue with you until I don't care. Lol.

I'm just keeping it real. I'm sure Florida fans thought the same thing after Donovan bailed on a contract ? How'd that work out for them?

I'm just keeping it real. I'm sure Florida fans thought the same thing after Donovan bailed on a contract ? How'd that work out for them?

False equivalency. Completely different situations. Billy Donovan wanted more support from the administration and a new basketball facility to be built. He got neither. He left because he Florida put that money into the football program.

Has any coach won both and NCAA and NBA title? What other firsts are out there? Also, he failed once there. How badly might he want to change that? There are places at KY where he has very little control. He can't control the stupidity of the NCAA itself and Sandy Bell has a lot to say about matters of risk and how much the program will accept. He also has little control of his roster. Maybe he'd like to try consistency for once. And don't give me the crap about money. You don't get a contract like he has without placing a VERY high priority on compensation.

I'm not saying he's going. I'm just saying a little coach speak didn't erase my common sense. You believe what you want. If he leaves tomorrow or next year, just don't throw the coach speak back in his face because of an unreasonable and foolish (0%, really? That means impossible you know.) perspective.

Larry Brown has already won an NCAA title and an NBA title.

False equivalency. Completely different situations. Billy Donovan wanted more support from the administration and a new basketball facility to be built. He got neither. He left because he Florida put that money into the football program.

I was pretty sure it would be. Enjoy your dream.

Might want to have that discussion with Phil Jackson.

Jackson was named head coach of the Bulls at the age of 44. Calipari is in an entirely different season of his life. Additionally, you named one coach out of the hundreds who have coached in the NBA that actually created massive amounts of influence on his NBA journey. If one were pressed, they could probably name 5 or 6 more historically, but it would be a struggle to put together a list of coaches with comparable pull. Following that line of thinking, I'm not sure I would bet much money on Calipari replicating Jackson's NBA influence at the ripe old age of 56. Chances are, Cal's influence would go the way of the rule, and not the exception.

What is with the aggressive tone here? I don't know or care what you have going on with other posters on this thread, but I never addressed you in anything less than a respectful manner.

And I never once referenced his quotes as any part of my logic.

And I also never said that he didn't prioritize money highly. The point was that you were making it sound like there was some secret lecture in econ 101 that divulged a sacred fact that anyone who is offered more money will leave their current job - and if that's true, I missed it in getting an entire business degree.
But forget a degree - you need no further understanding than basic UK history to understand that a coach can milk his current school for all they're worth while still ultimately deciding to spurn riches and glory elsewhere - that's how we got burned by Lute Olsen over 20 years ago.

And before you go putting words in my mouth again, note that I'm not really talking about loyalty here. Nowhere have I said that he just loves UK too much, and if he ever leaves I'll feel betrayed, blah blah blah. That weepy stuff is all what you've projected on me by painting all the people who disagree with you with a broad brush. I haven't mentioned his quotes or his feelings for the school once. Stop being lazy.

This is not about emotion to me. This is about value. My argument has little to do with what he wants to do. It's about how pro teams want to spent their money. He is worth way the hell more on the college market than he is on the pro market, yet his demands are high.

The only part of your post that had much to do with what I was saying earlier was regarding how much control he has at UK. And while you had a couple of reasonable points, I don't think there's any way that you can argue that he'd actually have more control of his program in the league than at UK. In one or two areas, sure, but unless you're a Jackson or Popovich, you aren't going to have overall control of a franchise to the extent that Cal does at UK.

So then we're back to the first thing I said. Beyond the contract stipulations, it's not really about what Cal wants. It's about what the contending teams want.

Are
1. any of the contending teams (not that many)
2. who will soon have job openings (even fewer)
3. willing to hire Cal and give him more control over the franchise than any other non-superstar coach in the league (maybe none)
4. and willing to pay Cal 8 figures or close to it (probably none)

...given that he's seen as just an okay coach at the NBA level.

In my opinion the answer is no, once again, unless he has some type of "attract Lebron/Davis" type of pull leading into a key contract expiration year for one of those guys.

So if you want to disagree with my actual argument that I've very carefully laid out a second time for you above, feel free to.

But please stop putting words and emotions in my mouth. I haven't insulted you. Don't insult me.

Reactions: coolcat9lives
Jackson was named head coach of the Bulls at the age of 44. Calipari is in an entirely different season of his life. Additionally, you named one coach out of the hundreds who have coached in the NBA that actually created massive amounts of influence on his NBA journey. If one were pressed, they could probably name 5 or 6 more historically, but it would be a struggle to put together a list of coaches with comparable pull. Following that line of thinking, I'm not sure I would bet much money on Calipari replicating Jackson's NBA influence at the ripe old age of 56. Chances are, Cal's influence would go the way of the rule, and not the exception.

Actually, that argument works against you simply due to the short list. Getting your name where few others have been is a distinction.

That said, I have nothing against arguing probabilities on those grounds. Weak as that argument might be, it holds vastly more water than some snippet of coach speech.

Your best argument is his age, though be careful with "ripe old" characterizations. Too close to home. I'd have tossed his health in the mix too. Hip replacements that early could point to an early out to save wear and tear.

The question of what is he likely to do makes much more sense than 'he's not leaving cause he said so.' We've even seen a 0% chance he goes, tossed into this hysteria.

So do I think there is a chance he stays till retirement? Sure. I also think there is a good chance he moves on in some number of years. He's a singularly talented and ambitious guy. He has options. And this has been my point from the beginning. Coach speak hasn't changed any of that.

What is with the aggressive tone here? I don't know or care what you have going on with other posters on this thread, but I never addressed you in anything less than a respectful manner.

And I never once referenced his quotes as any part of my logic.

And I also never said that he didn't prioritize money highly. The point was that you were making it sound like there was some secret lecture in econ 101 that divulged a sacred fact that anyone who is offered more money will leave their current job - and if that's true, I missed it in getting an entire business degree.
But forget a degree - you need no further understanding than basic UK history to understand that a coach can milk his current school for all they're worth while still ultimately deciding to spurn riches and glory elsewhere - that's how we got burned by Lute Olsen over 20 years ago.

And before you go putting words in my mouth again, note that I'm not really talking about loyalty here. Nowhere have I said that he just loves UK too much, and if he ever leaves I'll feel betrayed, blah blah blah. That weepy stuff is all what you've projected on me by painting all the people who disagree with you with a broad brush. I haven't mentioned his quotes or his feelings for the school once. Stop being lazy.

This is not about emotion to me. This is about value. My argument has little to do with what he wants to do. It's about how pro teams want to spent their money. He is worth way the hell more on the college market than he is on the pro market, yet his demands are high.

The only part of your post that had much to do with what I was saying earlier was regarding how much control he has at UK. And while you had a couple of reasonable points, I don't think there's any way that you can argue that he'd actually have more control of his program in the league than at UK. In one or two areas, sure, but unless you're a Jackson or Popovich, you aren't going to have overall control of a franchise to the extent that Cal does at UK.

So then we're back to the first thing I said. Beyond the contract stipulations, it's not really about what Cal wants. It's about what the contending teams want.

Are
3. willing to hire Cal and give him more control over the franchise than any other non-superstar coach in the league (maybe none)

...given that he's seen as just an okay coach at the NBA level.

In my opinion the answer is no, once again, unless he has some type of "attract Lebron/Davis" type of pull leading into a key contract expiration year for one of those guys.

So if you want to disagree with my actual argument that I've very carefully laid out a second time for you above, feel free to.

But please stop putting words and emotions in my mouth. I haven't insulted you. Don't insult me.

You are the one that said 0%. An event occurs with 0% probability if and only if it's impossible and there is no room for discussion on that point. There is no emotion in that. Do not confuse aggression with mathematics. To suggest that it is impossible that he would leave is insulting, a bit.

While I'm on that point, where Cal is concerned, the supply is short. There's one. Demand for coaches that caliber is exceedingly high. This drives willingness to pay for the limited product similarly high and not just monetarily so. One might suggest that would introduce the likelyhood of a transaction somewhat higher than 0. So yes, supply and demand.

Last edited:
The question of what is he likely to do makes much more sense than 'he's not leaving cause he said so.' We've even seen a 0% chance he goes, tossed into this hysteria.
I said I'm 0% worried. Save the misquoting people for someone who is actually a rival fan. Your laziness here is just out of place.

I never guaranteed he wouldn't leave (which is saying 0% chance he goes).

0% chance of occurrence =/= 0% worried. At first, you're going to want to quibble with this, but it's not really arguable for most normal people.

First, the extreme example to make the initial point:

If you learn one day that your odds of contracting some horrible, crippling disease are 1 in 5 billion, you'll say "oh, that's interesting", and then never think about it for the rest of your life. The chance of occurrence is some nonzero value, but you are not exerting even the slightest bit of energy worrying about it. No worrying. None at all. Zero.

The point is that if you think that something is probable, it's worth worrying about at least to the extent that you need to prepare. But below a certain level of probability, there's no reason to sit around fretting about it - it's usually making something out of nothing.
And that probability doesn't have to be incredibly small for you to decide not to worry - it's just that the potential benefit of preparing needs to be outweighed by the potential of stressing for no reason should nothing occur.

So, if I think there's a 80% chance that Cal retires here, then for me, it's not worth it - I'm not going to spend any time preparing for him to leave, because in my estimation, it would be a waste of energy to dwell on it. If he does, then I'll be a little surprised, and then be ready for the next guy after a week or two.

Again, that's way different than guaranteeing he won't leave. If I meant to say that I was sure he wouldn't leave, then I'd have said I was sure. Of course I'm not sure. I'm just not at all worried about it, because I think it's relatively unlikely.

Last edited:
You are the one that said 0%. An event occurs with 0% probability if and only if it's impossible and there is no room for discussion on that point. There is no emotion in that. Do not confuse aggression with mathematics. To suggest that it is impossible that he would leave is insulting, a bit.
I didn't say there was a 0% chance that it would occur. Again, stop misquoting me, stop assuming you're the only one who took college level math/econ/stats, and either address my actual arguments honestly or just simply say "I disagree" and leave it at that instead of this selective quoting.

I didn't say there was a 0% chance that it would occur. Again, stop misquoting me, stop assuming you're the only one who took college level math/econ/stats, and either address my actual arguments honestly or just simply say "I disagree" and leave it at that instead of this selective quoting.
I said I'm 0% worried. Save the misquoting people for someone who is actually a rival fan. Your laziness here is just out of place.

I never guaranteed he wouldn't leave (which is saying 0% chance he goes).

0% chance of occurrence =/= 0% worried. At first, you're going to want to quibble with this, but it's not really arguable for most normal people.

First, the extreme example to make the initial point:

If you learn one day that your odds of contracting some horrible, crippling disease are 1 in 5 billion, you'll say "oh, that's interesting", and then never think about it for the rest of your life. The chance of occurrence is some nonzero value, but you are not exerting even the slightest bit of energy worrying about it. No worrying. None at all. Zero.

The point is that if you think that something is probable, it's worth worrying about at least to the extent that you need to prepare. But below a certain level of probability, there's no reason to sit around fretting about it - it's usually making something out of nothing.
And that probability doesn't have to be incredibly small for you to decide not

My bad. I presumed zero meant zero. It's rather like vaccinations. I really was never worried about my kid getting polio. Wasn't zero though, I still got him vaccinated. Following your logic, I guess I shouldn't have.

While we're on the subject of misquoting, I quoted you verbatim. Perhaps I was guilty of misinterpreting. I presumed logic where there was none. Guess I was lazy. For that, I apologize. I will not make that mistake again where you are concerned.

Now I wish point out that I've been misquoted, misinterpreted, maligned or something. My original point was that Calipari's statement did nothing to change my perception of the likelihood that he would or would not leave. I stand by that.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why he has to say it.

Because the negative "cal to the NBA" talk has hurt him in recruiting right now and he knows it. It's pretty clear. Cal has never come out this much denying every little inch of speculation. He's signed a major extension and is putting down every NBA rumor that creeps up, and this happens to be right after he admits he was close to leaving last year then misses out on an entire late signing period class. It should be clear to anyone who wants to see the reality. I would think, at minimum, it's playing a part. To deny it is pretty crazy.

As for his comments, I'm thankful Cal is doing more than he pretty much ever has to put it to bed. Cal is never going to deal in absolutes, and it's really not fair to ask that of him, although if it were me, I'd squash it. The NBA is a waste of time and it's not much of a challenge for a coach if you ask me. But this is a good sign for him to be repeatedly shooting down NBA offers. He didn't even do that at Memphis for college programs like Arkansas and NCSU.

If you've followed Cals career from more places than just Kentucky (and lots of people around here haven't it seems) then you'll know this is about the best you're gonna get out of him. I truly believe Cal has a better opportunity to impact others, his family, his legacy, and himself by winning at UK vs. some "who cares" NBA franchise where most people sit around eating steak dinner at the arena instead of passionately engaging in his talents and the game itself.

I will say however, you're fooling yourself if you think he was direct and definitive in those statements.

There aren't plenty of jobs that pay 10 times what I make that I'd turn down. If that was the case I'd be making over a million a year and I would probably do most any job available for that.

Money isn't everything, but it's a pretty big deal.

Actually, you did. You passed off a completely fabricated comment regarding Cal having a 0% chance of leaving as my words. I never said that. You seem to understand the difference, given your attempt at a counter-analogy with the whole Polio thing, so let's break that down, shall we?

Considering that we're averaging a terrifying 0.00 wild viral Polio cases in the Western Hemisphere since the early 90s (the ~9 cases annually are actually caused by the OPV vaccination itself), and that even among the kids who have contracted it, there's a sub 1% chance of encountering the famous long-term paralysis type symptoms, and of that <1% of kids, less than 5% die (and once again, hasn't existed in the Americas in 25 years)...

Then no, it might have been required for schooling, but there's no health-related logic to giving your kid the Polio vaccine, unless he intends to spend a fair amount of time in Nigeria, Afghanistan, or Pakistan. He's as much at risk for that as he is for African sleeping sickness.

In fact, he's much more likely, growing up in this country, to get struck by lightning, so why don't you buy him a nice portable Faraday Cage to roll around in?

No, I'm afraid that the condition that your darling little son is likely to contract is a garbage personality where he takes a normal discussion and puts it into the personal zone for no reason at all, refuses multiple attempts to bring things back to reasonable terms, and in the process of getting his stool pushed back in with the business end of a boot, resorts to desperate tactics like putting words in the other guy's mouth and entirely neglecting to address any part of the actual argument in question.

It's a sad disease with an unfavorable prognosis, but hopefully his mother has better genes in that regard which will win out.

Last edited:
There aren't plenty of jobs that pay 10 times what I make that I'd turn down. If that was the case I'd be making over a million a year and I would probably do most any job available for that.

Money isn't everything, but it's a pretty big deal.
Well, obviously what's true for me isn't true for you, necessarily. I'm not claiming everyone is like me.

The pay and the personality both play a role.

I like nice things, but I'm probably lower maintenance than average, and my job situation is very favorable, so that 10x figure is much higher than for most people.

If my career were along the lines of 50k, etc, then the statement wouldn't be true. I'd do many things to get from 50 to 500k.

But without getting into personal money talk, my work is such that more income would basically mean more investment, which is nice, but there is nothing close to immediately practical that I need more money for.

I understand that I'm on the extreme end, and a lot of people would jump at the chance for just a 5k raise or whatever, even outside their comfort zone, either because they don't make a crazy amount, or because their personality is very much money first.

Regardless, my main argument re: Cal is that I don't think he's worth his current money to most/any NBA teams, much less the money that would be considered a noteworthy "raise" for him.

Are
Again this is the incredibly simple point that I've made over and over that KBF fan has done nothing to address.

And I don't even care if he or anyone thinks the answer is yes. I'm just getting tired of him bringing up everything but the actual meat of the post, taking shots for no reason, going for pointless little semantic jabs, etc. And my point has absolutely nothing to do with Cal's words this week. I don't read much into those.

Again this is the incredibly simple point that I've made over and over that KBF fan has done nothing to address.

And I don't even care if he or anyone thinks the answer is yes. I'm just getting tired of him bringing up everything but the actual meat of the post, taking shots for no reason, going for pointless little semantic jabs, etc. And my point has absolutely nothing to do with Cal's words this week. I don't read much into those.

Not to get off topic, but you do realize the thread is about Cal's words? I made a response to another poster that a discussion of likelihood of him leaving was perfectly reasonable. However, the thread centers on his comments which was the topic I wanted to discuss. I frankly don't care about your rationale for why you think he might go or stay. I thought what folks read into his comments was far more interesting. I took your post in the context of the thread. How silly of me.

I made a response to another poster that a discussion of likelihood of him leaving was perfectly reasonable.

It's equally reasonable to assert that Self, Williams or K will take an NBA job. One could find logical reasons for each of them to take a pro position. Cal's previous stint as an NBA coach does not advance his probability to returning to the NBA anymore than those guys, or others like them. The idea that he wants to atone for his failed NBA coaching run is based on nothing more than loose conjecture and the assumption that Calipari is still driven by an impetuous ambition.

You're right to make it a talking point, but discussing Cal's potential return to the league does not eclipse the reality that others have an equal or greater potential of returning. I find it humorous that the media and others (even on this message board) act as if coaches like Self are unmovable while painting Calipari as a coach constantly on the backchannel phone lines, wheeling and dealing for the next great offer.

Reactions: coolcat9lives
“My wife laughs about it,” Calipari said. “People are going nuts. They haven’t figured this out?”

That's a good interview with Cal and Mitch. Mitch opens up about a lot too

I think I posted what Mrs. Cal had to say about all the rumors, at the end of last season. They like it in Lexington, and Cal loved his job. The other thing she said was that Cal was messy and did not pick up his clothes, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and that their son wanted to be coached by someone other than Cal.

It's equally reasonable to assert that Self, Williams or K will take an NBA job. One could find logical reasons for each of them to take a pro position. Cal's previous stint as an NBA coach does not advance his probability to returning to the NBA anymore than those guys, or others like them. The idea that he wants to atone for his failed NBA coaching run is based on nothing more than loose conjecture and the assumption that Calipari is still driven by an impetuous ambition.

You're right to make it a talking point, but discussing Cal's potential return to the league does not eclipse the reality that others have an equal or greater potential of returning. I find it humorous that the media and others (even on this message board) act as if coaches like Self are unmovable while painting Calipari as a coach constantly on the backchannel phone lines, wheeling and dealing for the next great offer.

Well, Cal's not on the phone so much as his agent might be. Also, I don't disagree on the other coaches. I don't know why they aren't the target of equally negative recruiting. Might be a good thread topic.

Again, I'll state that I'm still not moved by his comments one way or other regarding his likelyhood of staying or going.

Honestly I'm bored as F because basketball season is over. All the fun I have now is posting comments to get a rise out of all you others.
Its funny how you people twist my comments. I've laughed so hard these past two days I've nearly pissed myself.
Lmfao[roll]

Neat. That's baiting. Have fun with your new user name.

ADVERTISEMENT