ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Has Absolutely Ruined This Team

The more he tinkers the further we slide away from being a final 4 team. It is unfortunate that we are looking less and less like a blue blood and more like a fanbase who are just happy to win games against bad teams.

Some people defended Tubby until he left. Some defended BCG when he was fired. Some fans wanna go down with the ship. They don't wanna board any life rafts.

Where do people find Penn to be such a slow paced team? Just observation? I notice theyre 39th in offense.
Kenpom has tempo rankings. For reference we're 34th this year and Penn is 304th after yesterday's game. The only power conference teams ahead of us in tempo right now are Arizona, Iowa, Florida, and Alabama.

Reactions: GoBIG BLUE
It’s only been 3 halves and maybe premature to call it but I seriously doubt it. This doesn’t even resemble the same team we saw the first 7 games.

It’s in no way Bradshaws fault, he’s been good, but it’s the way everything has changed since he’s been back. The long 2’s have returned, the 3’s have dropped back to normal Cal levels, Mitchell has been far less effective since he’s had to move inside and the team plays slower.

Every single bit of that is on Calipari. Don’t even get me started on defense. We absolutely have guys who could be great defenders with their length and quickness but aren’t. That’s all on coaching. He either doesn’t teach it or is bad at it.

He’s the only “coach” in the country who could take a legit title contender and turn them into a team that is primed for a round of 32/S16 upset.

At this point I’d rather lose in the tournament with no center and getting out rebounded or taking 30 threes and having an off shooting night than to keep doing this same crap we’ve done for a decade that doesn’t work! I absolutely can’t stand CCC. The greatest day in UK basketball history will be the day he’s fired or quits.
We wouldn't have this team without Cal at the helm.

Reactions: grevey35
Do you honestly think Cal is actively encouraging guys to take 19 foot jumpers?
Yes, actually. He was publicly talking about it in press conferences as recently as last season how he thinks those are good shots that he likes us taking when they’re open. I’m not ready to declare it a lost season or anything, but the re-emergence of the long 2s and an increased effort to feed the post the last couple of games are a bit concerning because Cal’s recent history doesn’t give him much benefit of the doubt in coaching a modern offense.

It’s only been 3 halves and maybe premature to call it but I seriously doubt it. This doesn’t even resemble the same team we saw the first 7 games.

It’s in no way Bradshaws fault, he’s been good, but it’s the way everything has changed since he’s been back. The long 2’s have returned, the 3’s have dropped back to normal Cal levels, Mitchell has been far less effective since he’s had to move inside and the team plays slower.

Every single bit of that is on Calipari. Don’t even get me started on defense. We absolutely have guys who could be great defenders with their length and quickness but aren’t. That’s all on coaching. He either doesn’t teach it or is bad at it.

He’s the only “coach” in the country who could take a legit title contender and turn them into a team that is primed for a round of 32/S16 upset.

At this point I’d rather lose in the tournament with no center and getting out rebounded or taking 30 threes and having an off shooting night than to keep doing this same crap we’ve done for a decade that doesn’t work! I absolutely can’t stand CCC. The greatest day in UK basketball history will be the day he’s fired or quits.
You’re pitiful and you whine more than a middle school girl. Grow up and stop acting like a child.

So dumb!

First, we were 8-20 from 3 pt. We were 8-21 against Miami. You're not winning shooting attempting 35 per game.

Second, after you develop a reputation for shooting the ball teams start trying to push you off the line...like we did Miami...resulting in more drives.

Your post was very shallow & reeks of a typical UK fan just trying to find a reason to be negative & whine about the coach. It's ok you're not alone, it's like 65% of this accursed forum.

288th in unadjusted pace, 304th in adjusted pace.
Oh cool. I looked all over and couldnt find it on my usual stat sites. This is a new one for me. Thanks. I cant really put the numbers together to see how theyve arrived at said values?
Edit: i noticed kenpom even has a pace value... which Ive never noticed apparently. Dows anyone know how they arrive at their temp numbers? Just time per possission?

Last edited:
Oh cool. I looked all over and couldnt find it on my usual stat sites. This is a new one for me. Thanks. I cant really put the numbers together to see how theyve arrived at said values?

"Possessions; the formula for schools is 0.5 * (FGA + 0.475 * FTA - ORB + TOV) + 0.5 * (Opp FGA + 0.475 * Opp FTA - Opp ORB + Opp TOV)."

If you think a guy fumbling a pass is coaching then I dont know what to tell you. I've said it countless times, there are absolutely legitimate things to criticize Cal over, but that end of the half sequence isn't one of them.
It’s called setting your players up for failure. If the coach isn’t making guys feel comfortable on the court or making sure everyone isn’t tight or reading the room they are tight, then yeah that’s on the coach to get the players to buy in relax and play their game.

• Haha
Reactions: shodaman
It’s called setting your players up for failure. If the coach isn’t making guys feel comfortable on the court or making sure everyone isn’t tight or reading the room they are tight, then yeah that’s on the coach to get the players to buy in relax and play their game.
Some players just don't have good hands. As much as I dislike Cal, I can't blame him for Edwards' inability to catch a simple pass that is done every day in some local gym during youth league basketball.

Last edited:
Some players just don't have good hands. As much as I dislike Cal, I can't blame him for Edwards' inability to catch a simply pass that is done every in some local gym during youth league basketball.
I agree but to get to the point of at UK and praised as a high profile player, again falls on the coach, if the coach then realized he has bad hands that’s on the coach. I am not personally sold Edwards is a bust. I know some have wrote him off or leaning that way. I’m sure he is starting to feel pressure to perform from his camp which doesn’t help. Stress can impede learning and getting better, but again that’s the coaches job not to put him in a position to fail if he isn’t ready to be a go to guy.

You want your opponent to try taking away the 3 because they can't do it without freeing up our post players. However, we weren't smart enough to wait for that to happen. We decided to start forcing the ball down low which is resulting in turnovers and difficult contested shots under the basket. It is obvious to everyone but Cal and his followers that this team's best talent is on the perimeter. We should be using our perimeter game to open up our post-game and not the reverse.

You've basically just created an argument that allows you to blame a coach for literally anything. Any mistake by a player can just be written off as "the coach didn't set up the player for success." Ridiculous argument to make.

You've basically just created an argument that allows you to blame a coach for literally anything. Any mistake by a player can just be written off as "the coach didn't set up the player for success." Ridiculous argument to make.
Not really the intent of what I said, but he is the final responsibility of the team and their performance/discipline etc, is he not? In fact, hasn’t he said this himself before? (Don’t blame the guys blame me, it’s my fault.) I would say though if he is drawing up plays at the end of the game and has players on the court who can’t perform or draws up a play for a guy who has been cold for the entire 2nd half (as an example), that’s on him not the player that’s been ice cold, is it not? He has 9 million reason why the responsibility falls on him.

Just enjoy the game people. This is UK pretty much annually under Cal outside of a few teams. I wanna know what the gripe is outside of an axe to grind? Can we play D better? Sure. Rebound better? Sure. A lot of teams can say that. Is it Reed not starting? Edwards minutes? A culmination of all those? Those are arguments most any teams can have. No. It's a "I hate Cal at all cost and nothing can change my mind" deal. Sure, Cal gets on my last nerve with his shtick and all, but you can't sit there and say he hasn't adapted to modern basketball. The ONE thing we were all hoping for and he FINALLY does it and some people still want to bitch and moan. You people will never be happy with anything. I have zero complaints this year outside of defense and rebounding. Kinda like football, a good offense cures most ills. At least we finally got that to fall back on. Good grief folks, just enjoy it. This is the most fun team we've had in a while. We're only going to get better.

this post gets dumber every day lol! I guess however you have just found something else about Cal you want to bitch about haven't you

You aren’t really surprised are you? Miami was fools gold. UNCW was reality

Then what was UNC?

This is one of Cal's most talented teams. UNCW showed what happens when a talented team forgets the importance of defense and the coach doesn't do anything about it during halftime.

Lots of questions remaining. How will Bradshaw, Onyenso, and Edwards develop? Will Sheppard and Dillingham get the playing time they ought to? Will all these great players take as much interest in playing defense as Sheppard and Onyenso do? Will this team learn to rebound like a bunch of big, athletic players should? All important questions. This team could win the NCAA Championship or go out in a whimper in the 1st or 2nd round. The offense is impressive but the defense will determine the answer.

Duh, what did you expect.....we have been seeing this same movie since Cal got here, but it has gotten worse since Barney gave him the lifetime contract with no accountability.

Duh, what did you expect.....we have been seeing this same movie since Cal got here, but it has gotten worse since Barney gave him the lifetime contract with no accountability.
Cal doesn't have a lifetime contract. He has a ten year coaching contract and the buyout is large because his salary is large. The lifetime part is for some meaningless program ambassador role after he's done coaching. But his actual coaching contract is ten years.

Reactions: grevey35
Can we not both acknowledge that Cal has been disappointing the last few years but also praise him for some of the things he’s done with this years team especially with adapting to the modern game? Hate how everyone is so polarized - you don’t have to either despise him or love him, it can be something in between

I don't have problems with fans complaining or hearing other points of view. If I did, I'd have left here long ago. The only real issue I see is the extremes we sometimes reach. We go from "this is a problem that should be addressed" to "the sky is falling!" in about 5 seconds. And it's not only falling, there is no hope whatsoever. That is why some get frustrated. And by the way, I also agree that the comments giving UK the title and completely exonerating Calipari for the last several years are also unhelpful and to an extreme.

Truth is, the new offensive strategy is better and the games are much more entertaining. And this team does look better than any we've seen in recent seasons. But it's also true that it's a long season and we haven't even played a real road game or a conference game yet, and we have a long way to go before any Champs are crowned. So, wait and see and enjoy the game. Hopefully they'll start defending a bit better and rebounding a bit better. If they do, we'll likely have something to cheer and crow about. 😀

Can we not both acknowledge that Cal has been disappointing the last few years but also praise him for some of the things he’s done with this years team especially with adapting to the modern game? Hate how everyone is so polarized - you don’t have to either despise him or love him, it can be something in between
Yep, that's exactly what my post above was about, too. Yours is more concise though. I totally agree. There is a middle ground. That's where I try to live with Calipari. This board doesn't always make that easy, with either extreme.

Reactions: jbne222
This thread is a classic example of KJERUFD: knee jerk emotional response UK fan disorder. Classic example!

UK shoots 8-20 from three & won & this dumb thread started: "CAL HAS ABSOLUTELY RUINED THIS TEAM".

Lol, I thought it was dumb on DEC 10 & it has only grown dumber over the last 3 weeks.

I'm good with people congratulating Cal on our new and much improved offense. I'm also not gonna rag on people for posting about the shitty UNC Wilmington loss. Win the SEC, win the SEC tournament, get back to an elite-8, and nobody is gonna give 2 shits about UNC Wilmington. And then if Cal's trolls wanna come on here and post the UNC Wilmington loss in my face, because I was an upset fan, go for it. Do it. Whatever helps people sleep at night.

I'm good with people congratulating Cal on our new and much improved offense. I'm also not gonna rag on people for posting about the shitty UNC Wilmington loss. Win the SEC, win the SEC tournament, get back to an elite-8, and nobody is gonna give 2 shits about UNC Wilmington. And then if Cal's trolls wanna come on here and post the UNC Wilmington loss in my face, because I was an upset fan, go for it. Do it. Whatever helps people sleep at night.

I'm referring to OP starting this thread, lol. He has earned a badge or sign or something.

Reactions: Mike-D
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT