ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Has Absolutely Ruined This Team

TheExhaustedOne

Sophomore
Jan 24, 2020
Above You
It’s only been 3 halves and maybe premature to call it but I seriously doubt it. This doesn’t even resemble the same team we saw the first 7 games.

It’s in no way Bradshaws fault, he’s been good, but it’s the way everything has changed since he’s been back. The long 2’s have returned, the 3’s have dropped back to normal Cal levels, Mitchell has been far less effective since he’s had to move inside and the team plays slower.

Every single bit of that is on Calipari. Don’t even get me started on defense. We absolutely have guys who could be great defenders with their length and quickness but aren’t. That’s all on coaching. He either doesn’t teach it or is bad at it.

He’s the only “coach” in the country who could take a legit title contender and turn them into a team that is primed for a round of 32/S16 upset.

At this point I’d rather lose in the tournament with no center and getting out rebounded or taking 30 threes and having an off shooting night than to keep doing this same crap we’ve done for a decade that doesn’t work! I absolutely can’t stand CCC. The greatest day in UK basketball history will be the day he’s fired or quits.

I love watching dilling jack one jack after another with zero results and getting v backdoor to death hey cals got this 👍

Reactions: IIIBradIII
The team actually has some responsibility as well.
I'm so tired of this excuse. I'm not saying they don't deserve blame. But as a head coach, your job is to take a player out that isn't playing the right way. Teach them. Coach them. You don't just green light it. You sit their butt down until they understand and play how they should.

This actually reminds me of how we played in the Bahamas vs when the season started last year. In the Bahamas we played fast, ball movement with a lot of shooting. Oscar wasn’t as effective with huge numbered but the team played and looked much better. Cal didn’t coach those games, clearly. Then the season started and Cal put the shackles back on and they didn’t look anything close to the same.

Games 1-7 was this years Bahamas. Games 8, 9 and so on will be this years regular season.

The most frustrating part is this team can still play like they did pre Bradshaw even with Bradshaw playing. Start the same 5 as usual and Bradshaw subs for Mitchell and plays the same role. He has the outside shooting to do it. He’s shown that. Neither him or Mitchell are back to basket players. But Cal just has to play them both, sometimes with Edwards and Thiero as well and it kills us.

This team doesn’t have the defense, again on CCC, to play in the 70’s like his other teams. They have to score in the high 80’s-90’s to win.

It’s only been 3 halves and maybe premature to call it but I seriously doubt it. This doesn’t even resemble the same team we saw the first 7 games.

It’s in no way Bradshaws fault, he’s been good, but it’s the way everything has changed since he’s been back. The long 2’s have returned, the 3’s have dropped back to normal Cal levels, Mitchell has been far less effective since he’s had to move inside and the team plays slower.

Every single bit of that is on Calipari. Don’t even get me started on defense. We absolutely have guys who could be great defenders with their length and quickness but aren’t. That’s all on coaching. He either doesn’t teach it or is bad at it.

He’s the only “coach” in the country who could take a legit title contender and turn them into a team that is primed for a round of 32/S16 upset.

At this point I’d rather lose in the tournament with no center and getting out rebounded or taking 30 threes and having an off shooting night than to keep doing this same crap we’ve done for a decade that doesn’t work! I absolutely can’t stand CCC. The greatest day in UK basketball history will be the day he’s fired or quits.
lol settle down

Yes it was premature. 😂.

Is there a process to cancel the season?

Great post. [roll] [roll] [roll] [roll]

We all knew Aaron was gonna play and play a lot. Now I'd like to see Aaron and 4 guards more..I think that would be fun to watch and get Tre a little more rest over the course of the year.

Reactions: University-6
Second half I've paid closer attention after reading this thread. I'm watching us running 4 out with either Bradshaw or Mitchell playing in the spot Thiero would be in, when they're in together. Our defense has been bad, as it has been much of the year, and we're playing a team with one of the slowest tempos in the country who is running clock on offense and prioritizing getting back on D over offensive rebounding. Three point rate is definitely down but we have the right people taking them - 0 attempts for Edwards and Thiero, 2 open attempts for Wagner. And the slowdown in 3pt shooting actually started against Miami, only 21 that game 20 today total. Some of the long 2s have come after they run us off the 3 pt line - defense were absolutely going to adjust to what we've been doing. When Bradshaw is playing the 4 spot out in the corner, his man is sagging WAY off so we need him to burn teams on jumpers to stop that. Just saw a bad pass to him wide open in the corner turnover. Here in last 4 minutes though the slowdown, 2 bigs in the post comes out. Unfortunately we are going to see that in late games. Sets we're running looks different than what we'd been running in recent years though. Very few FTs shot by either team, that takes scoring down a bit - there was a lot of contact on a lot of shots that in other games would have put both teams at FT line. I would like to see us force tempo more and attempt a FEW more threes but defense was absolutely more of a problem today than offense.

Tre has looked good when we were playing 5 out, Tre is not a back to the basket power forward! He turns it over way to much trying to back down in the paint! Bradshaw played within himself today and looked great! Cal just can’t stand not having 2-3 bigs on the floor! I don’t think having Adou and Edwards on the floor at the same time works either!

What made you mad today? Like honestly, what were the big issues that had you screaming at the tv?

Personally, the things that made me curse today were not strategy/style of play related.

For me, it was lack of attention/effort things that freshman do as they learn the consistency of performance necessary at this level.

Stupid passes and decisions both offensively or defensively. But we won by 15.

Cal is learning, the players are learning, and we are thriving. This is the best team we've had in years but they are young and do stupid stuff sometimes.

I'm very excited about this team and I think it was.a perfect game for Bradshaw to really get his feet wet before UNC.

Here's to a great week of practice boys, guard the ball better and lets get this W.

This was a little premature. Yes we looked bad for most of the second half but Bradshaw is a beast.

Reactions: ganner918
Defense. It’s all about defense and intensity. Everyone here wants to play fast and shoot a million 3’s. In order for that to happen we must force transition. Steals, turnovers, missed shots forced your defense will put the offense in the sweet spot. This team gets super lazy on defense. They can’t get in the passing lanes. They aren’t as intense and prideful as they need to be.

This team has to procreate its own success from the defensive side because if you don’t then you will gets zoned. You will get drug into the mud by teams like Penn. When our opponents wanna run we look amazing. When they don’t, then our kids look confused. A lot of that is coaching, true. But these guys have to up the intensity.

Don’t forget this one thing too. We shot 50% from the floor. Try to enjoy your weekend

Try not to wallow in your misery, Zaytoven.

Hey, do you still think pro wrestling is "real?"

Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT