ADVERTISEMENT

Cal doubles down on Edwards

Yeah this was the last season for me. Not only are we not playing well.. but now we have even more of these roster fiasco's where Cal is purposely playing the wrong guys simply for Draft night. Hoping he can right the ship this weekend and the next few games.

He's now proven we can't even rely on players to continue their tenure here.. Whitney, Sharpe... and now Thiero? Which player next year is going to get playing time when they shouldn't? And which player is going to quiet quit on the team.

And now our elite recruits just aren't able to play in this era of 5th and 6th year transfers, so 1AD recruiting is even more of a gamble.
Damn am I totally missing something with Adou?
I seen the dad's tweet but to me it didn't point to Adou purposely sitting out.
Idk what to make of that situation.
Maybe his pain tolerance is low.
As far as the Edwards/Klutch situation, they have over 200 clients.
I'm sure they are well aware of his stock drop so how much of a priority is he to the entire organization.
I'm sure they pursued his as a client because of his lotto potential but at this point there's not going to be a lot of financial gain for Klutch with his first contract which will probably be league minimum if at all.

Yeah this was the last season for me. Not only are we not playing well.. but now we have even more of these roster fiasco's where Cal is purposely playing the wrong guys simply for Draft night. Hoping he can right the ship this weekend and the next few games.

He's now proven we can't even rely on players to continue their tenure here.. Whitney, Sharpe... and now Thiero? Which player next year is going to get playing time when they shouldn't? And which player is going to quiet quit on the team.

And now our elite recruits just aren't able to play in this era of 5th and 6th year transfers, so 1AD recruiting is even more of a gamble.
Don’t forget Wheeler. He quit too.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
He’s just gotta keep getting in, gotta breakthrough,” Calipari said postgame. “He’s gotta know that this is a team that we got a lot of players. And if someone is playing better than you, you won’t believe this, they’re gonna play in front of you.”

LMAOOOO… except you won’t actually do that Cal. Gotta show the bennies who’s boss, don’t you? While this team’s title hopes fade. Gee who could have seen this coming!?
Then why is he still starting?

As far as the Edwards/Klutch situation, they have over 200 clients.
I'm sure they are well aware of his stock drop so how much of a priority is he to the entire organization.
I'm sure they pursued his as a client because of his lotto potential but at this point there's not going to be a lot of financial gain for Klutch with his first contract which will probably be league minimum if at all.
Falling stock or not, they still have a professional obligation to stick by and do the best they can for their client.

If Cal made a promise to start their boy, Klutch damn well expects him to keep it. And they’ll remember if he doesn’t.

Falling stock or not, they still have a professional obligation to stick by and do the best they can for their client.

If Cal made a promise to start their boy, Klutch damn well expects him to keep it. And they’ll remember if he doesn’t.
You must think Rich Paul/Klutch has a little Suge Knight/Death Row aspect to it.
Do you believe they would actually threaten Cal over Justin when they know he's not performing?
Like a "we don't care how bad he plays, you must start him or else"
Seems like if that was true they would also have a minimum minutes per game stipulation.
Changing the subject a bit, I don't think they will do for everyone what they did for Chris.
He's an Akron kid so I think they went the extra mile for him to get him on a roster.
Justin seems like a hot stock tip that never pans out in regards to Klutch.
I'm sure they're in hot pursuit of the next Justin Edwards as we speak.

You must think Rich Paul/Klutch has a little Suge Knight/Death Row aspect to it.
Do you believe they would actually threaten Cal over Justin when they know he's not performing?
Like a "we don't care how bad he plays, you must start him or else"
Seems like if that was true they would also have a minimum minutes per game stipulation.
Changing the subject a bit, I don't think they will do for everyone what they did for Chris.
He's an Akron kid so I think they went the extra mile for him to get him on a roster.
Justin seems like a hot stock tip that never pans out in regards to Klutch.
I'm sure they're in hot pursuit of the next Justin Edwards as we speak.
Okay I’ll play.

Why do YOU think Justin Edwards continues to start and get so many minutes?

Probably #1 reason is Cal is in denial that he's actually a flop and hopes he takes off.
The other is Adou has not been available and Burks is not any better.
I agree that he could try the three guard line up but Antonio is just as weak especially guarding true SF's

Probably #1 reason is Cal is in denial that he's actually a flop and hopes he takes off.
I agree that he could try the three guard line up but Antonio is just as weak especially guarding true SF's
Just as weak but he’s worth 19 ppg

I said this on another thread

the minute Cal decides to go solely on merit for playing time, his recruiting advantage goes down the drain

Imagine walking into a kids house telling them about Diallo, Boston, Wheeler, ..... and how you sacrificed winning games to make sure he developed those kids for the next level. You have a proven track record of showing you invest in a player with NBA potential and you'll give him an entire season to prepare for the next level. You think if you aren't performing at Kansas they'll play you? Duke? UNC?

take that away and what does he have to offer? Its straight up NIL

He plays Edwards to get the next Edwards. He makes grandiose claims to the press about getting Edwards out there in the hopes the class of 2026 is reading it

And he hopes that one season, one of those kids is the next Anthony Davis.
You nailed it... its about long term recruiting strategy.. But lets be honest, Calipari also wants to win DURING the season.. He keeps trying and hoping Edwards can flip the switch come March.

UK is not the only team who brings in 5 star talent that doesn't develop as freshmen. Difference seems to be, when this happens at other schools, the 5 star comes back for another year and makes significant progress. At UK, they go to the draft anyway (ie Chris livingston)... and now, you have immediate transfer.. so doubt Edwards is at UK next year, not matter what NBA grade he gets.

Umm …nobody said anything about any explicit “threats.” But Klutch absolutely does now have real influence over where NBA bound hotshot play their college ball, and they do have the power to interfere with Cal’s NBA talent pipeline.

And I’m pretty sure they’d remember which coaches have jerked around or broken promises to their clients in the past.

All this really does make me feel bad for Justin Edwards, because he’s getting eviscerated. And it’s honestly Cal’s fault. If Cal would do the right thing here, it would actually protect Edwards from a lot of this. But he just keeps putting him out there.

Umm …nobody said anything about any explicit “threats.” But Klutch absolutely does now have real influence over where NBA bound hotshot play their college ball, and they do have the power to interfere with Cal’s NBA talent pipeline.

And I’m pretty sure they’d remember which coaches have jerked around or broken promises to their clients in the past.
Don't know why Klutch would be upset with Cal.
They have more UK clients than those from other schools.
They have to have some level of disappointment with Justin.
They are not basketball ignorant.

Who cares?

Livingston didn’t live up to the hype.

Bradshaw has some skills but is a twig and gets pushed around like a ragdoll. Obviously won’t be here long enough to add some bulk nor is he interested in doing so because the NBA wants him to be Wemby or Chet.

Edwards is Edwards.

At what point do we stop letting Klutch or any other agency dictate the direction of our program? I could see kissing their ass if it was getting us results, but it isn’t. It’s a one-sided relationship.

Last edited:
Reactions: TankedCat
Who cares?

Livingston didn’t live up to the hype.

Bradshaw has some skills but is a twig and gets pushed around like a ragdoll. Obviously won’t be here long enough to add some bulk nor is he interested in doing so because the NBA wants him to be Wemby or Chet.

Edwards is Edwards.

At one point do we stop letting Klutch or any other agency dictate the direction of our program? I could see kissing their ass if it was getting us results, but it isn’t. It’s a one-sided relationship.
With NIL you have agency involvement in every program(P5).

At one point do we stop letting Klutch or any other agency dictate the direction of our program? I could see kissing their ass if it was getting us results, but it isn’t. It’s a one-sided relationship.
I’m not saying we should or shouldn’t, I’m just pointing out the sad reality of how things work in this new NIL college sports world.

An agency like Klutch now has serious power and influence throughout the sport. In the old days their role wasn’t supposed to begin until the pros, but now it begins in high school. And they can hurt a coach who pisses them off if they want to.

I’m not saying we should or shouldn’t, I’m just pointing out the sad reality of how things work in this new NIL college sports world.

An agency like Klutch now has serious power and influence throughout the sport. In the old days their role wasn’t supposed to begin until the pros, but now it begins in high school. And they can hurt a coach who pisses them off if they want to.

No I understand exactly what you’re saying. I’m arguing that, if the recruits we’re getting aren’t helping us win championships (not even conference championships) then how exactly can they hurt UK more than we’re already being hurt by getting overhyped, underperforming players?

These people only have power if you give it to them. I’d rather go find someone who can coach up 3-stars (like the coach who beat us last night) then keep relying on these dudes that aren’t winning anything. At least it would be fun to watch them grow and mature as players, and have some accountability in the program again.

Reactions: UK90
Cal doubles down on everything. He's never wrong, and when we lose it's because they players don't do what he tells them. Like GO!!!!!

No I understand exactly what you’re saying. I’m arguing that, if the recruits we’re getting aren’t helping us win championships (not even conference championships) then how exactly can they hurt UK more than we’re already being hurt by getting overhyped, underperforming players?

These people only have power if you give it to them. I’d rather go find someone who can coach up 3-stars (like the coach who beat us last night) then keep relying on these dudes that aren’t winning anything. At least it would be fun to watch them grow and mature as players, and have some accountability in the program again.
That will never happen here.
The next coach will be more Cal than Paris.
If Drew were to be the next coach, he would recruit the same type players.
Even if Paris was named the coach, do you think he could help himself not recruit the best when he walks into an AAU event in UK gear.
Guarantee the money and bump in prestige would change his MO.

That will never happen here.
The next coach will be more Cal than Paris.
If Drew were to be the next coach, he would recruit the same type players.
Even if Paris was named the coach, do you think he could help himself not recruit the best when he walks into an AAU event in UK gear.
Guarantee the money and bump in prestige would change his MO.

That prestige you speak of has to be maintained. It isn’t a given. And right now, if the UK program were a house, it would have a crumbling foundation.

That prestige you speak of has to be maintained. It isn’t a given. And right now, if the UK program were a house, it would have a crumbling foundation.
As a top 10 team?
Is Duke also a crumbling foundation?

As a top 10 team?
Is Duke also a crumbling foundation?
Maybe not crumbling, but both UK and Duke are still depending on young players while the rest of the college world is filled with 5th and 6th year players. The ond route does not seem sustainable in this current era.

Maybe not crumbling, but both UK and Duke are still depending on young players while the rest of the college world is filled with 5th and 6th year players. The ond route does not seem sustainable in this current era.
Covid exemption is almost over.
Guys like Radford at A&M is coming to an end.

May be by end of February when we start wondering. Last night was troubling and I hope not the start of a skid...
We all got lulled into sleep the first 6 yrs of Cal's tenure. We had crazy talented players who also had the right work ethic and drive. I think part of it is that up and coming players the past handful of years are different. You don't see kids with MKG's approach, drive, and determination. Those guys were able to mask Cal's lack of coaching. With inferior players, his weaknesses are way too easy to exploit.

Other teams have good coaches that know how to mitigate our sometimes talent advantage. They draw up out of bounds plays. Cal seems to think doing that, let alone adjusting to their out of bounds plays is for the riff raff. He's above such things. He refuses to teach zone, which he probably can't do anyway, but he could get someone that does know how. His stall ball kills our momentum and lets teams come back, and sometimes pull out the win. He's just an all-around below average Xs and Os coach. I challenge anyone to make the case he isn't.

Covid exemption is almost over.
Guys like Radford at A&M is coming to an end.
It’s about time it’s ending, but I still don’t think the ond method is effective in this era. No denying it yielded some great results for us from 10-17, but the game and attitudes has changed since then to now.

Reactions: NociHTTP
You nailed it... its about long term recruiting strategy.. But lets be honest, Calipari also wants to win DURING the season.. He keeps trying and hoping Edwards can flip the switch come March.

UK is not the only team who brings in 5 star talent that doesn't develop as freshmen. Difference seems to be, when this happens at other schools, the 5 star comes back for another year and makes significant progress. At UK, they go to the draft anyway (ie Chris livingston)... and now, you have immediate transfer.. so doubt Edwards is at UK next year, not matter what NBA grade he gets.
you can say he wants to win during the season but you have to caveat it with adhering to favoring his star players

winning isn't the priority, its secondary to recruiting pipeline

Yeah. I don’t know what the hell is going on. But I do know this: Adou thoroughly outplayed Edwards in the Blue/White game and has shown throughout the year that he’s the far better player.

The KU game was a real eye-opener as Thiero was one of the top players on the court, while Edwards scored a single point in 29 minutes. We know Thiero, not Edwards should’ve remained a starter when Bradshaw entered the picture. Thiero knows it too. And then imagine being him and watching Edwards suck game after game after game and yet you’re still on the bench.
Great post. Thiero's "back injury" is nothing more than him saying FU Cal. I firmly believe that. He's far and away a much better player than Edward right now, and everyone knows it. I'm afraid Adou will transfer in the spring, and who can blame him?

I can't wait until Cal is GONE!!

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
To me, Edwards is an odd one. He is very athletic and he has shown he can hit outside shots. But, he seems to be a player that needs to have the right conditions for his skills to come thru. I don't think he's good at handling diversity or disruptions, like if he's driving the lane.

He's easily put off his game, leading to frequent mishandling the ball or failure to finish. If that's the case, he will likely have a very short career at the next level. He may still sneak in the first round based purely on athleticism, but his game doesn't seem to be NBA-friendly. Not even close.

To me, Edwards is an odd one. He is very athletic and he has shown he can hit outside shots. But, he seems to be a player that needs to have the right conditions for his skills to come thru. I don't think he's good at handling diversity or disruptions, like if he's driving the lane.

He's easily put off his game, leading to frequent mishandling the ball or failure to finish. If that's the case, he will likely have a very short career at the next level. He may still sneak in the first round based purely on athleticism, but his game doesn't seem to be NBA-friendly. Not even close.
Is he very athletic, though? Doesn’t look it to me.

Is he very athletic, though? Doesn’t look it to me.
You may be right. At times he looks like he is, but maybe that is being generous. I think that was his reputation and I have just bought into it. He's not nearly as bad as Whitney was. That guy is the biggest head-scratcher I think Cal has ever recruited. I remember seeing one game of his in High School and thinking, what is he seeing in this guy?

As someone who doesn’t watch AAU or HS ball, I got to ask- what gave Edwards such a high recruiting ranking and draft hype? Not knocking him, honestly curious from those who watched him before UK? He doesn’t really wow you with any aspect of his game.

You may be right. At times he looks like he is, but maybe that is being generous. I think that was his reputation and I have just bought into it. He's not nearly as bad as Whitney was. That guy is the biggest head-scratcher I think Cal has ever recruited. I remember seeing one game of his in High School and thinking, what is he seeing in this guy?

Cal wasn’t seeing anything in Whitney. He was letting his flunkies Justus and Barbee do the recruiting.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Yeah. I don’t know what the hell is going on. But I do know this: Adou thoroughly outplayed Edwards in the Blue/White game and has shown throughout the year that he’s the far better player.

The KU game was a real eye-opener as Thiero was one of the top players on the court, while Edwards scored a single point in 29 minutes. We know Thiero, not Edwards should’ve remained a starter when Bradshaw entered the picture. Thiero knows it too. And then imagine being him and watching Edwards suck game after game after game and yet you’re still on the bench.
Remember, Calipari only cares about draft night. What he's doing with Edwards is proof he doesn't care. Edwards in 21 minutes only scored 2 points.

RD was on fire in the first 4 minutes and Calipari helped SC'S defense by sitting him. Reed only played a few minutes.

You're saying Cal is an idiot?

Nope.

He's stalling until the end of the season and he's hoping he can just reboot the hard drive and nobody will say anything. On to next season! What recruits do we have coming in?!?!

Okay I’ll play.

Why do YOU think Justin Edwards continues to start and get so many minutes?
I'm not him but I know the answer. Cal is playing favorites; I don't know the why but I know Klutch can't get an NBA team to waste a draft pick on a player they don't think will make it. I'm thinking Cal just doesn't like admitting to a mistake.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I think your post would have been better with just the 1st sentence. No other explanation makes any sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT