ADVERTISEMENT

Cal doubles down on Edwards

Wonky

Junior
Jan 16, 2021
He’s just gotta keep getting in, gotta breakthrough,” Calipari said postgame. “He’s gotta know that this is a team that we got a lot of players. And if someone is playing better than you, you won’t believe this, they’re gonna play in front of you.”

LMAOOOO… except you won’t actually do that Cal. Gotta show the bennies who’s boss, don’t you? While this team’s title hopes fade. Gee who could have seen this coming!?

He’s just gotta keep getting in, gotta breakthrough,” Calipari said postgame. “He’s gotta know that this is a team that we got a lot of players. And if someone is playing better than you, you won’t believe this, they’re gonna play in front of you.”

LMAOOOO… except you won’t actually do that Cal. Gotta show the bennies who’s boss, don’t you? While this team’s title hopes fade. Gee who could have seen this coming!?
He’s been so full of bs for a long time

He builds rosters that have little depth so he csn usually just play the top rated kid even thru his warts (Briscoe, EJ Montgomery etc ) and we come up short due to talent/experience roster shortcomings

This year I Edwards and to some degree Reeves are the apt wing forwards….but Cal won’t circle back and just three guard lineups and then push Thiero to wing when you need size snd toughness

But as sure as the sun comes up…Edwards will get his 15-20ish minutes a night and he does little to nothing.

He builds rosters that have little depth so he csn usually just play the top rated kid even thru his warts (Briscoe, EJ Montgomery etc ) and we come up short due to talent/experience roster shortcomings

This year I Edwards and to some degree Reeves are the apt wing forwards….but Cal won’t circle back and just three guard lineups and then push Thiero to wing when you need size snd toughness

But as sure as the sun comes up…Edwards will get his 15-20ish minutes a night and he does little to nothing.
You lost me with the Briscoe/Montgomery analogy.
Briscoe was recruited as a PG but played SF at UK because he had a few guys named Ulis,Murray, Fox and Monk as teammates in the backcourt
AB sacrificed for the team.
As far as EJ, look up his career min per game.

There is zero excuse for this at this stage. But you are correct. If he were to do much of anything at all in a game, cal would be crowing so damn loud it would be annoying and the 15-20 would immediately revert back to 25 plus. This season has always been about DJ, Bradshaw, and Edwards. Our starting 5 is a team that would most likely not make the NCAAT even as good as reeves and Mitchell have been, if they are who we had to rely upon. We have the other components to make this a formidable team though but unfortunately they all have to take a backseat to cal and his BS agenda but even from the backseat the team as a whole still looks pretty great most nights. A real coach would have this team rolling right now though, not getting rolled as we did last night. Just Sad cal sucks so bad 😞

You lost me with the Briscoe/Montgomery analogy.
Briscoe was recruited as a PG but played SF at UK because he had a few guys named Ulis,Murray, Fox and Monk as teammates in the backcourt
AB sacrificed for the team.
As far as EJ, look up his career min per game.
Briscoe may be a reach on my part but the narrative to me is guys like Briscoe forced to play as we had no better option on a short roster snd his warts cost us ..why we didn’t have better options at rhe wings…cal doesn’t construct rosters very well and adapt players to what the team needs to win titles is how I see many yewrs id coming up short

We're going to be sitting around in April/May wondering what happened to this team, and it's going to get ugly. Mark my damn words. Bookmark this post. Do whatever.

The team wasn't ever any good. A great offense does not equal a great team. Other than UNC, we have beaten no one.

The team wasn't ever any good. A great offense does not equal a great team. Other than UNC, we have beaten no one.
My post will still be true.

The talking heads went into extreme overreaction mode after Big Z punked Georgia in the first half. Everyone you heard the last few days said "you can't make a Final Four prediction without Kentucky in it now" and things of that nature.

The second half against GA was an EMBARRASSMENT. People wanted to act like it was nothing. Well, it carried over into the next game. Three pathetic halves in a row from this team .... heading into a hornet's nest Saturday.

"I can't hide you" Cal is definitely not hiding Edwards. He's got him front and center, proudly.

We're going to be sitting around in April/May wondering what happened to this team, and it's going to get ugly. Mark my damn words. Bookmark this post. Do whatever.
We will find out Cal lost the team and the players went rogue for their own draft position.

It’s just double speak to avoid telling us the truth: he keeps starting and playing Edwards because he made recruiting promises that he’s afraid to break because that would piss off the bosses at Klutch.

Damn, so we’re basically back to where we’ve been the last 3-4 years. I’m ready for a change of the guard at UK. Cal is washed and will bring the ship down to try and prove some stupid point. I got nothing against Edwards, but he doesn’t have the talent for this level and there are better players already in front of him. Yet he’ll log another 20+ mins this weekend.

Stop going to games. We're headed for an early exit in March as usual.

I'm not going to watch them anymore, I can't stand to see this dumpster fire replay yet again.

If we win I might watch the highlights on youtube but this is just too much of a waste of time when I already know the outcome.

Reactions: entropy13
We will find out Cal lost the team and the players went rogue for their own draft position.
This group seems to sh*t the bed after new mock drafts get posted and everyone spends 2 days talking about it. You think they don't do the same?

Reed Sheppard is a prototype old school college basketball player. If he's an NBA lottery pick right now, it's all screwed.

To be clear, he's my favorite player on this team. I also believe he's not ready to be playing in the NBA next year. Lottery picks should be hunting shots, putting a team on their back and taking over games at times, showing flashes of elite athleticism, and so on. I'm just not seeing any of that yet from Reed, but expect some or all as a sophomore. Whether we get that seems 50/50.

I said this on another thread

the minute Cal decides to go solely on merit for playing time, his recruiting advantage goes down the drain

Imagine walking into a kids house telling them about Diallo, Boston, Wheeler, ..... and how you sacrificed winning games to make sure he developed those kids for the next level. You have a proven track record of showing you invest in a player with NBA potential and you'll give him an entire season to prepare for the next level. You think if you aren't performing at Kansas they'll play you? Duke? UNC?

take that away and what does he have to offer? Its straight up NIL

He plays Edwards to get the next Edwards. He makes grandiose claims to the press about getting Edwards out there in the hopes the class of 2026 is reading it

And he hopes that one season, one of those kids is the next Anthony Davis.

Last edited:
Yeah. I don’t know what the hell is going on. But I do know this: Adou thoroughly outplayed Edwards in the Blue/White game and has shown throughout the year that he’s the far better player.

The KU game was a real eye-opener as Thiero was one of the top players on the court, while Edwards scored a single point in 29 minutes. We know Thiero, not Edwards should’ve remained a starter when Bradshaw entered the picture. Thiero knows it too. And then imagine being him and watching Edwards suck game after game after game and yet you’re still on the bench.

This group seems to sh*t the bed after new mock drafts get posted and everyone spends 2 days talking about it. You think they don't do the same?

Reed Sheppard is a prototype old school college basketball player. If he's an NBA lottery pick right now, it's all screwed.

To be clear, he's my favorite player on this team. I also believe he's not ready to be playing in the NBA next year. Lottery picks should be hunting shots, putting a team on their back and taking over games at times, showing flashes of elite athleticism, and so on. I'm just not seeing any of that yet from Reed, but expect some or all as a sophomore. Whether we get that seems 50/50.
It’s a god-awful draft class and he does so many pure basketball things well, NBA guys love him. He may fall out of the lottery but he’ll still be a top 20 pick.

Damn, so we’re basically back to where we’ve been the last 3-4 years. I’m ready for a change of the guard at UK. Cal is washed and will bring the ship down to try and prove some stupid point. I got nothing against Edwards, but he doesn’t have the talent for this level and there are better players already in front of him. Yet he’ll log another 20+ mins this weekend.

Yeah this was the last season for me. Not only are we not playing well.. but now we have even more of these roster fiasco's where Cal is purposely playing the wrong guys simply for Draft night. Hoping he can right the ship this weekend and the next few games.

He's now proven we can't even rely on players to continue their tenure here.. Whitney, Sharpe... and now Thiero? Which player next year is going to get playing time when they shouldn't? And which player is going to quiet quit on the team.

And now our elite recruits just aren't able to play in this era of 5th and 6th year transfers, so 1AD recruiting is even more of a gamble.

Yeah this was the last season for me. Not only are we not playing well.. but now we have even more of these roster fiasco's where Cal is purposely playing the wrong guys simply for Draft night. Hoping he can right the ship this weekend and the next few games.

He's now proven we can't even rely on players to continue their tenure here.. Whitney, Sharpe... and now Thiero? Which player next year is going to get playing time when they shouldn't? And which player is going to quiet quit on the team.

And now our elite recruits just aren't able to play in this era of 5th and 6th year transfers, so 1AD recruiting is even more of a gamble.
I worry we’re about to hit a bad skid of games. Why? Because the media and fans are starting to question Cal on the defense and Edward’s minutes. Which will cause him to double down and refuse to adjust anything. He’d rather die his way than change. Last night was about as deflating as possible.

It’s funny to me how much shit I caught last week pointing out this teams flaws and now everybody is on board. This place is bipolar as hell.

It’s just that we want so desperately to believe that Cal won’t f*%k it up. That’s why we look past the flaws. But deep down in our hearts we won’t ever forget 2010, 2015, or Saint Peter’s. And we know what’s coming… another legendary collection of talent pissed away.

at least Cal is being asked about Edwards. He has to justify it

and if he comes up short at the end of the season there will be no question who is to blame for the failure of an uber talented team.

Cal is so predictable. I’m starting to think I’m a prophet. Edwards will play every game the way he is now. Then, maybe one of the last meaningless games of the regular season (ie Vandy), he’ll score 18 points and have 6 rebounds. Cal will then strut out like a peacock talking about how Edwards figured things out and all us bennies should STFU. It’ll be just a single game. Then he’ll revert to sucking and will probably be the reason we lose in the first weekend.

I worry we’re about to hit a bad skid of games. Why? Because the media and fans are starting to question Cal on the defense and Edward’s minutes. Which will cause him to double down and refuse to adjust anything. He’d rather die his way than change. Last night was about as deflating as possible.

Lets just pray that Arkansas has truly given up this year. Their defense is porous.

After them we get Florida again and Tennesseee, but after that, the physicality of the teams we play is much easier for 6 games or so.

Lets just pray that Arkansas has truly given up this year. Their defense is porous.

After them we get Florida again and Tennesseee, but after that, the physicality of the teams we play is much easier for 6 games or so.
I’ll hope for the best, but we very well could be 1-3 during that stretch of games. I was really hoping this team could win the SEC and end the 1 seed drought. That’s out the window, so now it’s hoping a light goes off by March.

Cal is so predictable. I’m starting to think I’m a prophet. Edwards will play every game the way he is now. Then, maybe one of the last meaningless games of the regular season (ie Vandy), he’ll score 18 points and have 6 rebounds. Cal will then strut out like a peacock talking about how Edwards figured things out and all us bennies should STFU. It’ll be just a single game. Then he’ll revert to sucking and will probably be the reason we lose in the first weekend.
I have no doubt this will happen. Edwards will eventually have that good game, because even the blind squirrel eventually finds that nut. And Cal will then act like that proves he was brilliantly right all along.

And so will a few of his more sycophantic posters on this board.

I’ll hope for the best, but we very well could be 1-3 during that stretch of games. I was really hoping this team could win the SEC and end the 1 seed drought. That’s out the window, so now it’s hoping a light goes off by March.

The unfortunate situation is that we are going to get other teams' very best home atmosphere too. @Arkansas, @Auburn, @MSU (the hump), and @UT. These guys don't seem capable of handling it. @UF might have been an aberration.

Edwards simply cannot start anymore. his minutes are dwindling as is, but the starts of games are more important than some here give credit to, regardless of the total minutes a player gets by the end.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
The unfortunate situation is that we are going to get other teams' very best home atmosphere too. @Arkansas, @Auburn, @MSU (the hump), and @UT. These guys don't seem capable of handling it. @UF might have been an aberration.
Ten losses here we come.

It’s never easy, but the great teams find ways to win in those environments. I was hoping this was one of those teams. Now I’ll hope this team can be like 2011, where they lost just about every road game but caught fire by tournament time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT