ADVERTISEMENT

Buyout is imminent

Calipari wouldn’t give up coaching
His ego is too great
And he sure as hell wouldn’t step down to anything less than control of the basketball program
100% agree.
No way he goes out on a low note and takes a lesser role. That would be admitting his failure and sticking around to remind himself of it. No chance IMO

What does on Twitter mean? That’s a wide range of possibilities.

Also, there will always be a recruiting class coming in. Does that make Cal untouchable?
Just what the usual group on there is saying, the shit changes every damn hour. He is gone, then he is back, he is gone, then he is back again. It will be that way until a decision is made. I agree on the recruits, next years class especially shouldn’t be used as a hostage point

Reactions: Aike
The "Lesser Role" will have Cal step aside as head coach and Mitch will name Cal as UK's Defensive Coach for 2024/25.

• Haha
Reactions: westerncat
Just what the usual group on there is saying, the shit changes every damn hour. He is gone, then he is back, he is gone, then he is back again. It will be that way until a decision is made. I agree on the recruits, next years class especially shouldn’t be used as a hostage point
I hope Mitch isn’t stupid enough to believe Cal. Nothing will change, if he returns it’s going to be an even worse season and miserable for Cal, the fans, and the players. If Mitch has the balls he would get rid of Cal and move on.

Coach Cal and the University in talks currently on a buyout agreement. I believe Cal will still be involved in the program at a lessor role, not sure on a time-frame to finalize the deal but 90% sure it is happening and happening in the very near future.

i-dont-believe-you-ron-burgundy.gif

Reactions: JFCats22
One of my current favorites is TJ Ozetleburger. He’s young and wouldn’t be super expensive, he took a winless program to top 10 and Big 12 winners in just 2 seasons. Top 5 in the nation a large portion of the year, staple in the top 25 at a school in just 2 years, that was winless 4 years ago. That’s a coach. Playing well right now with a decent chance this year for a run.
Maybe I am confused with all the names being thrown around, but isn't Ozetleburger's buyout like $18 million? Maybe not expensive to you.. but to UK and most of us, I think so.

Mitch can't work a buyout with Caligari so UK fires Mitch for incompetence and names Cal as AD and he will be in charge of new coach search.......
Bruiser is rumored to be targeted for HC position.......

Yep
My thought as well

BKO...curious as I know you've been vocal against Cal for awhile, seeking your thoughts here....

Hypothetically, if we were to hire Scott Drew and return no one to team OR keep Cal and re-evaluate after next year but retain say, Reed/Z/Thiero at minimum, what would you do?

I'm torn. Was late to fire Cal party, but fully on board now. That said, I have always had less faith in Mitch than Cal. I don't think Drew is the answer (I may be wrong- JMHO). Reed is a once in a lifetime kid...and I grew up idolizing his dad. He brought me a ton of joy this year...a second year would be incredible, but Cal is gonna Cal unfortunately, so I'm torn.

If that’s true and Calipari walks out of there still the Kentucky coach I’m going to start a riot….. I can not handle another season with Cal. He will continue to bash the fans, acts like he’s always right, won’t play the right players, will use the “we’re young excuse” every time they lose. The fans are fed up with his shit and Mitch can kick rocks with Cal if he lets him stay

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
When I see that guys posts, he is the one I can’t never tell if he is actually connected or is just saying shit and hoping it sticks

Yeah after looking deeper into his Twitter I think he’s full of shit. I’ll link another post from him below, he’s just throwing shit at the wall hoping it’ll stick

Reactions: Girthang
Part of his “lifetime contract” was that he’d coach thru 2029, then become an ambassador for the program. Whatever that means. So, I could see it.
This is not accurate. The contract is not "lifetime"; it expires on June 30, 2029. Calipari has the option beginning with the 2024-25 year of the contract (he would exercise the option for that year by written notice to the Athletic Director by April 15, 2024) to move from the Head Men's Basketball Coach position to the job of Special Assistant to the Athletic Director. The performance duties and the compensation package of the Special Assistant position are substantially different but the duration of the contract term is the same.

Don’t know this guy, but I just have a gut feeling there’s a 0% chance Calipari walks out of a proposed meeting as anything other than our coach next season. It’ll be nothing but “things need to change” and “we need to see something this year.”

Admittedly, that gut feeling is nothing more than me firmly believing Barnhart doesn’t have near the stones to look Calipari in the eye and tell him it’s over. He strikes me as the type to cower at the mere glance of someone more forceful than him.

This guy is a full of ish nobody.
Yeah I don’t believe him, nobody but him mentioned Ohio St. reaching out. Some of the most connected sources at Kentucky haven’t said Michigan or Ohio St has reached out to Cal. So I call BS on it

Reactions: JFCats22
BKO...curious as I know you've been vocal against Cal for awhile, seeking your thoughts here....

Hypothetically, if we were to hire Scott Drew and return no one to team OR keep Cal and re-evaluate after next year but retain say, Reed/Z/Thiero at minimum, what would you do?

I'm torn. Was late to fire Cal party, but fully on board now. That said, I have always had less faith in Mitch than Cal. I don't think Drew is the answer (I may be wrong- JMHO). Reed is a once in a lifetime kid...and I grew up idolizing his dad. He brought me a ton of joy this year...a second year would be incredible, but Cal is gonna Cal unfortunately, so I'm torn.
To me even Reed returning can’t justify cal coming back. Cal has failed to many times with so much talent. Losing to St. Peter’s and Oakland in the first round is enough justification to move on

This is not accurate. The contract is not "lifetime"; it expires on June 30, 2029. Calipari has the option beginning with the 2024-25 year of the contract (he would exercise the option for that year by written notice to the Athletic Director by April 15, 2024) to move from the Head Men's Basketball Coach position to the job of Special Assistant to the Athletic Director. The performance duties and the compensation package of the Special Assistant position are substantially different but the duration of the contract term is the same.

Yeah the phrase "lifetime contract" is misleading...it is more like an "until your 70" contract.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT