ADVERTISEMENT

Paying Cal’s buyout with donors could be disastrous for UK’s future.

That’s an interesting part of his contract I had not yet heard about. But is he required to seek other employment? He won’t get an offer from anyone unless he actively pursues employment. He could decline all request to interview I would think and still draw his full buyout.
Public universities are required to publish job openings, including the position of head basketball coach. UK's legal staff would be charged to constantly monitor those listings nationwide. Whenever a suitable position becomes available, Calipari would be sent a formal notification and a succinct reminder of his contractual duty to mitigate the liquidated damages: "submit a good faith application without delay or we quit paying you."

Public universities are required to publish job openings, including the position of head basketball coach. UK's legal staff would be charged to constantly monitor those listings nationwide. Whenever a suitable position becomes available, Calipari would be sent a formal notification and a succinct reminder of his contractual duty to mitigate the liquidated damages: "submit a good faith application without delay or we quit paying you."
Doesn’t seem enforceable to me to make someone apply for a job to mitigate the damages. I could see if he turned down a formal offer that he actually showed interest in but without that interest I don’t see this possible. There’s numerous college basketball coaching jobs open every year and in P5 conferences at that so don’t think it would be that easy in getting around the buyout. If it were this decision would be a very easy one to make as the buyout becomes a very negligible number at that stage.

Doesn’t seem enforceable to me to make someone apply for a job to mitigate the damages. I could see if he turned down a formal offer that he actually showed interest in but without that interest I don’t see this possible. There’s numerous college basketball coaching jobs open every year and in P5 conferences at that so don’t think it would be that easy in getting around the buyout. If it were this decision would be a very easy one to make as the buyout becomes a very negligible number at that stage.
It is enforceable because John Calipari executed the agreement. The document speaks for itself:

10. Events of Default and Termination

(a) If the University terminates this Agreement for "cause," as defined in Section 7(d) herein, no compensation whatsoever will be paid to the Coach beyond the date of termination.

(b) The University shall have the right at any time to terminate this Agreement without cause and for its convenience prior to its expiration. Termination by the University without cause shall be effectuated by delivering to Coach written notice of the University's intent to terminate this Agreement without cause at least thirty (30) days prior to the effective date of the termination. The termination shall be effective on the date stated in the notice. If the University terminates this Agreement without cause prior to Coach exercising the option stated in Section 9, Coach agrees to accept as liquidated damages, seventy-five percent (75%) of the remaining compensation payable to Coach under Sections 6(a) and (b), to be paid on a monthly basis. If the University terminates this Agreement without cause any time after Coach exercises the option stated in Section 9, Coach agrees to accept as liquidated damages, one hundred percent (100%) of the remaining compensation payable to Coach through the end of the Term under Section 9(c)(i) and (ii), to be paid on a monthly basis. The University's obligation to pay such liquidated damages shall be subject to Coach's duty to mitigate the University's obligation as specified herein. Coach will be entitled to continue such benefits at Coach's own expense as required or permitted by law, but Coach will not otherwise be entitled to any employment or other benefit described herein. The parties have bargained for and agreed to the foregoing liquidated damages provision, giving consideration to the fact that termination of this Agreement by the University without cause prior to its expiration may cause the Coach to lose certain benefits and incentives, supplemental compensation, or other athletically related compensation associated with Coach's employment at the University, which damages are extremely difficult to determine with certainty or fairly or adequately. The parties further agree that the payment of such liquidated damages by the University and acceptance thereof by the Coach shall constitute adequate and reasonable compensation to the Coach for the damages and injuries suffered by the Coach because of such termination by the University. The foregoing shall not be, nor be construed to be, a penalty. Notwithstanding any other provisions contained in this Agreement, the Coach agrees to mitigate the University's obligation to pay liquidated damages under this Agreement and to make reasonable efforts to obtain employment, such as a head or assistant coaching position or administrative position at an NCAA Division I college or university or with a professional sports team, after termination of this Agreement by the University. Upon Coach's acceptance of any new employment, the University's obligation to pay the full amount of liquidated damages provided herein shall be reduced by the amount of the minimum guaranteed annual salary of the Coach's new position or the reasonable market value of the position, whichever is greater. Coach agrees to notify the University within fourteen (14)days of the date Coach accepts new employment of the minimum annual salary of the new employment.

I'm not defending anything or anyone now. I did 5 minutes of research and found nothing coming out of Michigan sources except what I wrote. Keep spouting gibberish and hate, you fat pile of nothing. I'm not gonna worry myself about being on your blacklist.
You calipari fans are crazier than hell. I knew you’d show up running that mouth like you always do. You can’t have a decent conversation with anyone.

We don’t have lots of big donors. We have some good donors but many many many schools have a lot more rich folk than we do unfortunately.
This is where I stopped reading.
UK has big money. Around 2015, big money said no more money for Cal. They, like us want what's best for UK, not the "poor kids" he recruits for the NBA.

And I knew you'd show up to scold me, like an old woman.
You need to chill out and look beyond your man crush and see what Cal has done to our program. You’re the one who gets on here crying like a school girl. You think your favorite program Ohio state would put up with a coach that says that he’s not there to win games and just to get kids to the nba and then turns around and loses big games constantly?

You need to chill out and look beyond your man crush and see what Cal has done to our program. You’re the one who gets on here crying like a school girl. You think your favorite program Ohio state would put up with a coach that says that he’s not there to win games and just to get kids to the nba and then turns around and loses big games constantly?
You only see what you want to see, don't ya Woodrow? I didn't start any trouble, and I haven't argued with anyone about Cal.
I was born in Cynthiana. I grew up listening to the Cats on my grandmother's little transistor radio. I'm as true blue as anyone here, and more so than most. We moved to Ohio when I was little. UK football was so irrelevant that I didn't know they had a team until the Couch days. So yeah, I'm a Ohio State football fan, like all my friends were. I still root for UK I'm every sport I see them play, including football. But they aren't my primary.

You only see what you want to see, don't ya Woodrow? I didn't start any trouble, and I haven't argued with anyone about Cal.
I was born in Cynthiana. I grew up listening to the Cats on my grandmother's little transistor radio. I'm as true blue as anyone here, and more so than most. We moved to Ohio when I was little. UK football was so irrelevant that I didn't know they had a team until the Couch days. So yeah, I'm an Ohio State football fan, like all my friends were. I still root for UK I'm every sport I see them play, including football. But they aren't my primary.
I know you’re a UK fan. I used to tease you about Ohio state. Idc if people like other teams. I’m just saying that people in Ohio would go off if Ryan day said the things Cal has said. Same as if Scheyer did that at Duke or Davis at UNCheat. Cal has even implied this year that fans that don’t agree with what he’s doing and criticize him aren’t real fans. You don’t see other coaches at major programs being arrogant enough to say the things he does and then turn around and lose like that.,

I was born in Cynthiana. I grew up listening to the Cats on my grandmother's little transistor radio. I'm as true blue as anyone here, and more so than most. We moved to Ohio when I was little. UK football was so irrelevant that I didn't know they had a team until the Couch days. So yeah, I'm a Ohio State football fan, like all my friends were. I still root for UK I'm every sport I see them play, including football. But they aren't my primary.
Sorry man. I’m sick and grouchy today lol I apologize

I’m not worried about the salary of the next coach. The school will take care of that. I’m worried about everything else. The current NIL initiative that Cal just launched is made of Cal people. Joe Craft is NOT a big part of that, if any part of it. So, that will go away with Calipari. It’s just not realistic to ask our donors to pony up the money to get rid of Cal and then ask them to support with NIL and the upgrades needed to the basketball facilities in the near future because they do need upgraded to be competitive against the elite of college basketball. That’s not even mentioning the football aspect of the NIL.

It’s just not practical and not smart business. Even if that means another year or 2 with Cal. Mitch has really limited his options when he offered this contract to Cal. I can’t blame Cal for accepting, it’s all on Mitch to me. However, how may HOF coaches have imploded like this?? Think about it! Not many! So, I get Barnhart’s thinking because nobody saw this coming.
Nobody saw this coming? Are u serious? Cal is good for getting great classes and doing mostly nothing with them.

Guaranteed we can go back and find posts 4/5 years old saying Cal would never win another title at UK

Asking donors to fix this for Mitch is like paying for the third time to fix the car your kid keeps wrecking.

Oddly enough I'd say Calipari's future (and by proxy that of UK bball) lies in the hands of the University of Michigan. It's going to come down to how much they offer him. And knowing Calipari's ego, he won't jump for anything less than what he's making now at UK. I seriously doubt Michigan offers that much.

In the bigger picture it looks like UK athletics needs more donors, period. They don't have to be billionaires like Joe Craft. Although, if any want to jump in I am sure UK would welcome them! A bunch of small fish can still make a meal after all.
Yes he would bc Barnhart's lifetime contract buyout ensures he'll get more on top of whatever another school offers.
Cal will make money regardless of what happens and that's why he doesn't care.

Which is why there might be some smoke to the Nike Michigan thing.
Only thing I'm holding any hope out for now is Cronin to Louisville, Cal to UCLA. Won't lose a dime. Whatever UCLA offers him offsets what UK will owe him for each remaining year. Hope it opens up and if Cal truly wanted to be there, he should go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT