ADVERTISEMENT

Time to institute NIL buyout clauses

You take Nil from.a school it should be under contract you are to play for said school however long is,stipulated. You transfer or go pro you should have to pay a pro rated portion back.

What particular law states I canā€™t write up a contract for, say, JQ that says, ā€œExclusive deal to pay JQ $3M contingent on JQ playing at UK for two years.ā€? Seems like a normal contract.

It doesnā€™t prevent him from playing somewhere else, it just doesnā€™t pay him if he leaves.

What particular law states I canā€™t write up a contract for, say, JQ that says, ā€œExclusive deal to pay JQ $3M contingent on JQ playing at UK for two years.ā€? Seems like a normal contract.

Iā€™m obviously not a lawyer and not up to speed on the various ins/outs, but it seems like this is the only solution if NIL and the portal are here to stay in some semblance of their current forms. Letters of intent, scholarships and commitments are useless at this point, a contract that protects some portion of both parties is the way forward.

It doesnā€™t prevent him from playing somewhere else, it just doesnā€™t pay him if he leaves.
Canā€™t be a performance or contingent on staying. Now that might change in the future. Because wellā€¦the ncaa has no teeth.

That's literally an employment contract bud, making him a working employee of the basketball program and thus ineligible

That's literally an employment contract bud, making him a working employee of the basketball program and thus ineligible

Wrong, bud. If UK writes that contract, yes. But say I'm Joe NIL Guy. Can I write a contract with him that states that? He can always back out and go somewhere else the next year, but there is nothing stopping me from creating a contract that says he owes me what I paid him if he breaches the contract.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT