ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking down the Cats and Ragin' Cajuns

UKErik

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Football is back! More importantly for Kentucky, it looks like "football" is truly back. The last five seasons have been nothing short of excruciating. Beginning with the Tennessee game in 2010, it's been tough sledding for UK football and the oddly loyal Big Blue fan base (I say oddly because this program hasn't had a winning league record since 1977; it's a miracle our fan base doesn't look more like Vandy's). Five straight losing seasons and thousands of empty seats have been the face of UK football so far this decade. Thankfully, it looks like both of those black eyes are about to disappear. Mark Stoops enters his third season as UK head coach, and according to a number of national pundits, significant improvement is imminent. First things first though, the season opener with Lafayette. ULL has put together four consecutive nine win seasons, an impressive number no matter what league you play in. Still, the Ragin' Cajuns have struggled mightily against higher level teams. In the last four years, Lafayette has gone 0-8 against P5 schools (and Boise State). Last season, they lost to Ole Miss by 41. They were competitive a few years ago against Florida and Arizona, but they've lost their last five games against higher level opponents by 3+ touchdowns. For Kentucky, this game is all about a new era for the program. Stoops has a team that has more Stoops guys than Joker guys. UK is playing in what looks like a new stadium. For the first time in a long time, just about everything surrounding this program is positive. UK still isn't "there" yet in terms of being where Stoops wants to be, but they've come a LONG way since the day he was hired. Cats fans have to be ecstatic about what lies ahead.

Spread (5dimes): Kentucky -17

Series:
First meeting

Game Time/TV: 7pm Eastern/ESPNU

Kentucky offense vs. Lafayette defense:
Advantage KENTUCKY
The Shannon Dawson era kicks off this weekend. We'll see plenty of spread looks and passes, but Dawson's offense will feature a bigger commitment to the running game (vs. what we saw from Neal Brown). Fortunately for the first year offensive coordinator, it looks like he has the necessary weapons to do just about anything he wants, especially against the Ragin' Cajuns. ULL lost their top two defensive lineman. They also lost virtually their entire defensive coaching staff. UK should absolutely dominate the matchup in the trenches, allowing Towles and company plenty of room to move the football at will both in the air and on the ground. The strength of ULL's defense should be within their back seven, but they have little chance of matching up against the plethora of Kentucky skill players. For the first time in a number of years, UK has a deep and athletic group of WR's. Badet is back. Baker looks like a potential star. Johnson. Timmons. Bone. Snodgrass. True freshman TE CJ Conrad. I haven't been this excited about a group of UK WR's since 2007. I imagine ULL will play a ton of zone. The Cats are also talented in the o-backfield. Boom Williams will be a handful for the Cajuns. Like most UK fans, I'm anxious to see King in the open field. The only thing that could slow UK is unforced errors (bad passes, fumbles, etc...). I think Towles and company will be more than ready to roll. Because the matchup up front looks so uneven, I'm guessing UK goes for 500+ yards and 45+ points.

Kentucky defense vs. Lafayette offense: Advantage KENTUCKY
The first thing most fans probably think about with Eliot's '15 unit is how does he replace Z Smith and Bud Dupree. I'm less concerned about those two spots and more interested in corner. IMO, the most promising development of August drills was the emergence of true freshman cornerback Chris Westry. The youngster is a monster for the CB position (6'4). Another true frosh, Derrick Baity (6'3), is on the depth chart and will get plenty of PT this weekend. UK's secondary could be outstanding by mid-season. Against ULL, they'll probably need a few perimeter guys to step up. The Cajuns don't have a "superstar" returning outside, but Jamal Robinson (returning from injury) is allegedly the best of a decent bunch. The star of their offense, 2014 Sun Belt Player of the Year Elijah McGuire, is a 5'11, 210 pound RB that can beat you both on the ground and in the passing game. UK's LB's will be challenged by both the ULL scheme and McGuire. Lafayette will be starting a new QB. If Brooks Haack gets the start, look for UK to pin their ears back a little bit (Haack isn't a very mobile QB, and I can't imagine he'd be that effective in the read option). The trenches matchup goes to UK, but ULL does return three starters. However, two of those three starters switched positions, so the Cajuns will only have one OL returning to start in the same spot from a season ago. The key in this matchup is to take McGuire away. Do that, and this becomes a mismatch. Best guess, ULL has a drive here and there that leads to points, but UK dominates most of the afternoon.

Special Teams: Advantage Kentucky
With so many terrific athletes at the o-skill positions, UK should be able to become very formidable in the return game. Specifically, Sihiem King on the KR unit. The 172 pound true freshman has been one of the surprises of fall camp. He has tremendous speed and, apparently, the ability to make people miss. Can't wait to see him in the open field. Timmons/TV Williams should be very good in the PR game. I have a lot of confidence in SO K Austin MacGinnis. P Landon Foster is one of the SEC's best. For ULL, kind of surprisingly, they use McGuire to return some kicks. I'm surprised because from what I've read, he means everything to their offense. I'm surprised they'd risk an injury to a guy that they want to get 25+ touches on offense.

Kentucky will win if...Patrick Towles and the offense come out and get things rolling early. ULL won't be able to score with UK, so a quick 21 points will end this one. If the offense gives away points off of turnovers and the game gets shortened for whatever reason, an upset....is still not going to happen.

Lafayette will win if...Kentucky absolutely self destructs. ULL has a new QB, a poor d-line, what appears to be a mediocre at best o-line, and a group of mediocre skill guys. McGuire is a stud, and he'll have to play like a Heisman Candidate to give the Cajuns any shot. ULL would probably need to be +4-5 in the TO margin department to have a shot.

Most important thing for Kentucky...a dominant defensive performance. They won't need to dominate to win this game, but going forward, a shutdown performance this weekend could help establish some much needed confidence. At times last season, the defense was putrid (didn't get a stop against UGA for example). Nothing would help erase that from the memory bank more than a 150 yard, one score effort against ULL.

Prediction: Kentucky 55 Lafayette 10...A big game for the Cats to kick off the 2015 season. UK has favorable matchups on both sides, so a big win is likely on the horizon. Only turnovers or an inaccurate Towles could keep this game remotely close.

GBB!!!

I just wanna get out of there Saturday with a win and injury free. Could be the first of many 300+ yard games for Towles and I would love to see the defense make a statement in game 1. Cats should roll, I'll go 49-6

Reactions: klambert6
I've got it Cats 42-17. Looking for a big year from the boys

KY 45 ULL 17 Stoops is not know to run up scores so I expect KY to establish itself offensively early on and sort of cruise the rest of the way. Defense will sputter at times with so many new guys just getting their feet wet in a real college game, but hold up good until the 4th and give up a few cheap points.

Great job and welcome back for another year, one of the best in a long time IMO. The only thing I worry about is Vegas reading your forecast and raising the point spread even more.

You said it UKErik, "Football is back!" I have been anxiously awaiting your game breakdowns to start. I like your breakdown and I am trying to not get too excited. I just feel that we have a good opportunity this year. - Our skilled players, depth (though young) and our favorable schedule lends itself to a special opportunity for the Cats. Thank you for the breakdown. Go Cats!!

This has been the longest off season ever...counting down the minutes and hours till kickoff! Then it's gonna go by super fast.

Also looks like one of their starting corners is out for the game. Better get that air raid siren tuned up for this game.

Thanks for the write up as always, but I have to disagree with one thing. McGuire isn't a "stud". He struggled against most of his better competition last year. He may be good at ULL's level, but that's about it.

Hopefully we get up big and early so Dawson can work some plays in that needs some practice and get Barker some reps.

It's just not football season until UKErik gives us the breakdown on the first game of the season. Thanks Erik, for another great analysis.

keep-calm-and-break-it-down-51.png

And UKErik is back folks. It's FOOTBALL TIME IN THE BLUEGRASS!!!!!

Reactions: screwduke
man my concerns about our defense will definitely be eased if we hold ULL to under 20 like so many of you think. hope that comes true!!

Welcome back and thank's again for the great write up UKErik. Love football season and this time of year is so exciting to be in.
I think the Cats will win by 56-6.
GBB

I too think Stoops will keep the score down, not his thing to run it up. Maybe the score in the forties and keep them to the teens or even less.

Always a great write up Eric.

I too look for a blow out. The only reason we win by less than 28 is a really late score by ULL. You are only getting me more excited about a great season. Excellent breakdown

Beginning with the Tennessee game in 2010, it's been tough sledding for UK football and the oddly loyal Big Blue fan base (I say oddly because this program hasn't had a winning league record since 1977; it's a miracle our fan base doesn't look more like Vandy's). Five straight losing seasons and thousands of empty seats have been the face of UK football so far this decade.

I laughed so hard when I read this because it is so true....We have to be the most loyal fan base in football. Makes no sense whatsoever that UK fans would still get excited about football those past years.

That 1977 quote is beyond depressing.....

I think things are finally going to change under Stoops. He will be the most popular person in the state of Kentucky if he gets us to 9-10 win seasons consistently.

9-10, consistently? Few schools can claim that. If we get to 8 consistently with the occasional better year, I'll be thrilled.

I don't see that. Our second and third unit offenses are pretty good.

Agreed. I don't think he will either run up the score nor keep it down. They'll run vanilla offensive and defensive schemes and likely still score fairly easily.

Still, ULL is a very well coached team.....particularly offensively. I wouldn't be surprised if they score a decent amount.

Good breakdown. I see it happening pretty much the same way.

Erik posted his first breakdown. Football season has officially begun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT