ADVERTISEMENT

Why was Pope hired?

Feb 28, 2024
If Mark Pope did not play at the University of Kentucky, he would never be considered for the job. The simple fact that he is a former player is the ONLY reason he got the job...which is absolutely reckless behavior. He has no recruiting class to bring with him, never won a game in the tournament, and has yet to really win anything outside of regular seasons games. This was our AD's 3rd choice!? I will certainly support Pope and hope like hell he sees success early on (for his sake). Feel like this is the most vulnerable UK has been in a very long time.

Like seriously. I’ve been wondering all night…

WHY???

What was the thought process here? What reasons could Mitch possibly have had to put Pope as NUMBER THREE on his list? Why does he think this will lead to a winning team? Or does Mitch just not care and thinks it will be nice to have an old player in the program? I don’t get it.

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
If Mark Pope did not play at the University of Kentucky, he would never be considered for the job. The simple fact that he is a former player is the ONLY reason he got the job...which is absolutely reckless behavior. He has no recruiting class to bring with him, never won a game in the tournament, and has yet to really win anything outside of regular seasons games. This was our AD's 3rd choice!? I will certainly support Pope and hope like hell he sees success early on (for his sake). Feel like this is the most vulnerable UK has been in a very long time.
NOBODY wants the job, our fanbase is the worst... nastiest, most unappreciative fanbase in college basketball

NOBODY wants the job, our fanbase is the worst... nastiest, most unappreciative fanbase in college basketball
Oh gimme a break. There’s plenty who want it. Just because Hurley wasn’t going to say yes (obvious) and a guy who has been somewhere 20 years declined, doesn’t mean you automatically go all the way down to Mark Pope.

There was a whole bunch of coaches who have actually done something that would’ve agreed.

It ain't hard kids

Top guys turned it down/had no interest leaving their jobs
Drew, Hurley, Donovan

Next tier guys have off the court issues making them problematic for UK or any blue blood
Pearl, Beard, Sampson, Oats

So, we did what Duke & UNC did, a former beloved player who got into coaching. At least Pope has been an actual head coach before.

Screenshot-20240412-082413-Chrome.jpg

Oh and since it's out there....... I'll add that allegedly supposedly Calipari poisoned the well.

On his way out the door he trashed Barnhart and the entire athletic dept & boosters. to any coach who contacted him on if it was a job they should pursue.

Reactions: KFuqua
Simple he played here, and has no dirty laundry. I’m against the hire but Pearl, Pitino, Miller, Beard all have past transgressions. Still there are at least 10 other guys I would have called ahead of him.

Reactions: EliteBlue
My guess is choice number 1 was $100 million

Choice number “3”

Was 25 million

More money for libraries and whatever non revenue generating sport the AD and President want to support.

Because he’s he’s an excellent coach with a great basketball mind. He competed in the Big 12 with a bunch of 3 star recruits at a morom school that doesn’t allow premarital sex or drinking. He runs one of the best offenses in basketball and has the potential to be magic with higher quality players.

Also LOL at Cal poisoning the well. Where do you all get this information from? You can’t say because you will get exposed. This type made up BS constantly being pushed is why this fanbase is seen as a bunch of unhinged weirdos. The fanbase is the biggest detriment to attracting a coach.

Last edited:
Oh and since it's out there....... I'll add that allegedly supposedly Calipari poisoned the well.

On his way out the door he trashed Barnhart and the entire athletic dept & boosters. to any coach who contacted him on if it was a job they should pursue.
Haven't heard that. Sad if true.

Reactions: member-chewy
Hiring only your alumni is what Duke and UNC does.....UK has never dialed our hires to these random coaching branches that don't really matter.

Pople is a fine guy and may be a great coach but to completely run past your candidate list of Pearl, Samson, etc...(who would have taken the job)....is just silly

Hell Shaka Smart, Beard, etc.....

The list is endless of coaches who were more proven than Pope

Which coach that hadn't already thumbed their nose at us would you have preferred

Last edited:
Only other coach willing to sign on to be hanged in effigy here was in hospice care in Eddyville.

Pitino gave him a super recommendation and I think he knows Pope well do not know if that has anything to do with the hire.

Great, 1 decent regular season win against a Kansas team without their best player. Cal just beat Kansas 3 years ago when they won the NC.
They beat:

San Diego St
NC State (Final 4 team)
Evansville (just threw that one in for laughs)
Iowa St (won easy against best team in the Big 12)
Texas
Baylor (Beat coach that turned us down)
Kansas (at Kansas)
TCU

All teams that went to the NCAA Tournament (minus Evansville). So it isn't like it was a fluke win against Kansas. Plus did it with a bunch of 2 and 3 star Mormons.

Look at Dan Hurleys record before he won 2 NCs- had 9 out of 14 seasons where his teams lost 10 or more- if we would have hired Hurley in 2018-19, his first season at UConn, a lot of people would have said who??, why?? him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT