ADVERTISEMENT

Video breaking down CALs dogshit coaching

What I can not unsee from this video is ALL of our guys walking around with their hands by their sides on defense. Not waving their arms, not extending their arms. That's PURE LAZINESS and should have been addressed earlier in the season even if it making taking losses (which we already did) so that guys could ride pine while they were being instructed. Which brings up another point. How often did our coaching staff get their fat asses off the bench and go squat in front of guys sitting on the bench, and explain things to them instead of all this silly high-fiving when a guy sits because said guy not doing his job? ACCOUNTABILITY, folks.

Let’s hire this dude. For $59.99 we would have better defensive principles.
That last Rob play infuriates me, he had no reason to be that far in, if he hedges just a little the guard has to shot a damn contested layup over 2 of Kentuckys bigs and probably misses and Kentucky get the ball with a chance to win, but no. It just highlights how bad a coach we have and how bad we need to make a change

That last Rob play infuriates me, he had no reason to be that far in, if he hedges just a little the guard has to shot a damn contested layup over 2 of Kentuckys bigs and probably misses and Kentucky get the ball with a chance to win, but no. It just highlights how bad a coach we have and how bad we need to make a change
1 point game with 34 seconds left and they run the same play they did all game long. It shows that Cal doesn’t teach them anything.

I'm honestly bewildered at how the snake oil salesmen was able to con his way through this profession to the Hall of Fame. He's a bullshit artist. I get at one time he was driven and hungrier but holy shit! This is awful. The man has lost it and lacks motivation to win. Just mailing it in and stealing money at this point.

That's PURE LAZINESS and should have been addressed earlier in the season
This is what it is. Everything pointed out in this video is poor player execution and laziness. Every division 1 coach knows fundamental crap like this. It's not like our coaches have just been ignoring the defensive issues. The players are just incapable of putting it together for any meaningful amount of time.

If some idiot raging on TikTok knows about this so does our coaching staff. It's not like we haven't had elite defenses in the past. This group of players just haven't been able to do anything defensively all year long.

This is what it is. Everything pointed out in this video is poor player execution and laziness. Every division 1 coach knows fundamental crap like this. It's not like our coaches have just been ignoring the defensive issues. The players are just incapable of putting it together for any meaningful amount of time.

If some idiot raging on TikTok knows about this so does our coaching staff. It's not like we haven't had elite defenses in the past. This group of players just haven't been able to do anything defensively all year long.
True, but the stuff with ball screens, and knocking cutters off balance so the trail defender can catch up is coaching. The effort aspects are all players but the positioning initially and certain techniques are all coaching

1 point game with 34 seconds left and they run the same play they did all game long. It shows that Cal doesn’t teach them anything.
Candace Parker actually did a good job of breaking down this play. Dillingham shouldn't have helped off his man like that and gave up a wide open 3. I believe there was already help coming from the weak side anyway. That's on Rob.

Reactions: NociHTTP
True, but the stuff with ball screens, and knocking cutters off balance so the trail defender can catch up is coaching. The effort aspects are all players but the positioning initially and certain techniques are all coaching
I know Cal is hated here, and I'm ready to move on too. But do we really think idiots on TikTok actually have more basketball knowledge than every single one of our highly paid coaches who have been doing this for decades? This is basic stuff. I just don't see a world where our staff is this clueless. It's well established Cal isn't the best bench coach, but he does know concepts you'd find in a Basketball Coaches for Dummies book. High school coaches know this stuff.

I would put every penny to my name on the fact that these coaches have harped on this stuff thousands of times all year long.

I know Cal is hated here, and I'm ready to move on too. But do we really think idiots on TikTok actually have more basketball knowledge than every single one of our highly paid coaches who have been doing this for decades? This is basic stuff. I just don't see a world where our staff is this clueless. It's well established Cal isn't the best bench coach, but he does know concepts you'd find in a Basketball Coaches for Dummies book. High school coaches know this stuff.

I would put every penny to my name on the fact that these coaches have harped on this stuff thousands of times all year long.
I mean I sure can’t tell. We’ve followed the ball handler into the lane ALL season long!

Reactions: barbourfor3

TikTok guys don’t know more than cal yes I will agree. But what this video highlights is just how out of touch cal is with what college ball is now and how stubborn he is on certain aspects

LMFAO WHY ARE WE GUARDING AT HALFCOURT?! 🤦‍♂️
That's a good question. There's no point in doing that if you're not going to trap. Even our "press" throughout the season was the laziest, weakass press I've ever seen. It all feels like a bunch of kids worried about an injury or getting short of breath and having to be taken out.

I mean I sure can’t tell. We’ve followed the ball handler into the lane ALL season long!
The idea in Cal's traditional defense was to funnel the ball handler into the lane, but our bigs were allergic to boo-boos. there wasn't such a need back then for all the helping.

Perhaps if Coach Calipari didn't experience complete roster changes annually, mastering the fundamentals wouldn't be as challenging. In this scenario, the fans ultimately bear the brunt of the disappointment. Calipari might assemble another high-turnover squad next year if he remains. We'll likely witness a cycle of five players leaving and another five arriving. While they often praise Kentucky fans for their passion, at the heart of it, the primary focus seems to be money. Meanwhile, the true supporters are left to watch as the Wildcats burn.

Perhaps if Coach Calipari didn't experience complete roster changes annually, mastering the fundamentals wouldn't be as challenging. In this scenario, the fans ultimately bear the brunt of the disappointment. Calipari might assemble another high-turnover squad next year if he remains. We'll likely witness a cycle of five players leaving and another five arriving. While they often praise Kentucky fans for their passion, at the heart of it, the primary focus seems to be money. Meanwhile, the true supporters are left to watch as the Wildcats burn.
Expect much of the same with 6 incoming freshmen in the 2024 recruiting class. They need to hit the portal hard to fill out the roster with some experienced guards that are proven shooters and can facilitate the offense. Experienced PGs are important to any run in March. Also need to find a defensive stopper like Keshad Johnson that got away. They will still be new to Calipari and will take time to adjust.

Even if you believed Calipari was serious about changing who the players are that he brings into the program by saying he needs to get older guys which he alluded to in the postgame, I don't have faith in his ability to coach up players that aren't elite level talent. Hell, even then look at the talent on this year's team with two potential lottery picks in Dillingham & Reed coming off the bench. It's just time for a change.

Last edited:
Great job breaking down the film.

Consecutive plays.

Problem is people who understand the game see this shit ALL - THE - TIME.

And we hear about tweaks and wrinkles in an offense, and the whole time I'm thinking 'cool, but, we aren't even able to guard a pick and roll...'

This stuff is basic, common sense understanding of basketball principles, and Cal has been here for years and this stuff is the same shit we saw a decade ago.

Only then, in most cases, we had elite players and elite athletes capable of covering up and hiding the obvious disregard for fundamental basketball. I say most cases because stuff like making free throws or late game decision making has not improved in the slightest.

Dude has to go. He's turned UK into an NBA G League team.

Reactions: Bhad Rhabies
Wow it’s so obvious once this guy explains how Kentucky was playing defense.

It’s flat out coaching malpractice, not just guys that are good at offense but can’t defend.

The NBA is literally going to have to teach our guys how to guard like they’re 5 years old again because Cal has literally forgotten how to coach the most basic fundamentals of basketball on defense.

Seeing specific guys outlined and the positions and stances they were in was shocking to me. It’s hard to notice in the middle of the game, but guarding out to half court and leaving all the space in the world to drive the ball, every defender was forcing their man away from the help, most guys are standing straight up and not ready to play basketball when their man doesn’t have the ball. This was shockingly bad coaching, not the fault of the players.

Reactions: Fox2monk
What I can not unsee from this video is ALL of our guys walking around with their hands by their sides on defense. Not waving their arms, not extending their arms. That's PURE LAZINESS and should have been addressed earlier in the season even if it making taking losses (which we already did) so that guys could ride pine while they were being instructed. Which brings up another point. How often did our coaching staff get their fat asses off the bench and go squat in front of guys sitting on the bench, and explain things to them instead of all this silly high-fiving when a guy sits because said guy not doing his job? ACCOUNTABILITY, folks.
It’s more than laziness, they have obviously not even been taught the proper principles.

It’s more than laziness, they have obviously not even been taught the proper principles.
They were taught them growing up, I promise you, I was taught some of these things in kindergarten, Cal beat it out of their heads with bad coaching, and made them develop bad habits and tendencies to violate basic fundamentals with his bad coaching.

Reactions: Fox2monk
They were taught them growing up, I promise you, I was taught some of these things in kindergarten, Cal beat it out of their heads with bad coaching, and made them develop bad habits and tendencies to violate basic fundamentals with his bad coaching.
It sure doesn’t look like they knew what to do even on a basic screen. I mean that is malpractice.

I’m sick to my stomach man. I knew everyone picking the Cats would backfire. I guess it’s the best thing because everyone is on Cal now because of how big a joke this has turned into. Jay Wright would have this team in the final 4. No doubt in my mind.

Reactions: Ukgold
The first couple plays and the last play of this video where it shows our guys who are supposed to be guarding their man on the corner/wings but instead we sag all the way to the paint almost making it impossible to recover…. I noticed that shit over 2 months ago. We’ve done that all damn year. They’ve absolutely been told to do it. It’s infuriating how STUPID that POS CCC is.

Reactions: shaudyshaud

Nice try, Cal defender. Your weak attempts to protect your god aren't going to work anymore.

I mean it’s the same coach that refused to play and start our best lineup most of the season . It’s hard to give him any kind of credit in terms of knowing the simple concepts of basketball .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT