ADVERTISEMENT

Better QB-Patrick Towles or Reggie Bonnafon

Towles will be drafted to play qb In a couple years. Bonnafon may be playing wr before he leaves ul. I get that the superiority complex coming out of Floyd street still thinks Bobby is king and UK just sucks but anyone that watches a lot of football can't say that bon is a better qb.. he's just not in any measure... it's even debatable if he's a better athlete.
Towles will not get drafted. Reggie most likely won't either, at least as a QB. He has a chance to maybe move positions in the NFL. I think we will find out alot about Reggie this year. It's only his second year playing the position and he did quite well in his first. He may surprise us and be very Teddy like when it is all said and done. I know things I've heard from Howie and the like seem very positive on Reggie.

I don't follow high school football. But I do know Trinity has a long and storied history. Can anyone identify that player who started at QB ahead of RB for Trinity, and tell us where he is today? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure but I think it was Travis Wright maybe? Like I said, that's not 100%. I think he plays somewhere but not sure if he's on scholarship or walking on. I think he's at a Florida directional school. Not sure if D1 or not.

Naturally the Louisville radio stations will pick Bonnafon. They only repeat what Tom Jurich tells them to say. If I am picking a QB, I will take Patrick Towles over Reggie Bonnafon.
That is the biggest myth in the city. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Tom hates WKRD with a passion because they talk waaaaay too much UK. Same goes for 680. I think the only one he even kind of gets along with is Deener and Deener is a UK guy. He is the only one that really tells it like it is which I think Jurich respects in the end despite Deener's fandom for UK.

I don't follow high school football. But I do know Trinity has a long and storied history. Can anyone identify that player who started at QB ahead of RB for Trinity, and tell us where he is today? Thanks in advance.
No kidding right? As good as Reggie is, it makes you wonder who was ahead of him in high school. If Reggie is starting for a top 10 program you would assume that the kid ahead of him would be at Alabama or something. I know it doesn't always work like that but you get my point.

This is Towles 4th year in College and he has played QB all his life...this is Bonnefon 2nd Year in College and he only played QB 1 year at the HS Level his Senior Year...Towles is better at this point....

Actually, he only started one year of varsity at QB. He did play QB at other levels in high school.

Towles will not get drafted. Reggie most likely won't either, at least as a QB. He has a chance to maybe move positions in the NFL. I think we will find out alot about Reggie this year. It's only his second year playing the position and he did quite well in his first. He may surprise us and be very Teddy like when it is all said and done. I know things I've heard from Howie and the like seem very positive on Reggie.

Mel Kiper seems to think PT will be drafted.

Reactions: JHB4UK
Pure 2014 QB stats for Towles and each potential UofL starting QB (those with stats as a UofL starter):

Towles (12 games)
QB rating: 122.8
Completion %: 57,4
TDs: 20 (14 passing, 6 rushing)
Ints: 9

Bonnafon (9 appearances)
QB rating: 118.4
Completion %: 50.8
TDs: 10 (5 passing, 5 rushing)
Ints: 4

Gardner (8 appearances)
QB rating: 136.1
Completion %: 57.5
TDs: 12
Ints: 3

Bolin (4 appearances)
QB rating: 144.0
Completion %: 57,7
TDs: 4
Ints: 3

For the inevitable question, DeVonte Parker caught 5 of the team total 21 TD passes.

I think Towles would have better numbers if he had the mature WRing corps that the others had. A corps that included Parker.

Towles not get drafted? Lol. He'll be a first round pick. Give me some of what you're smoking.

No factual basis to claim Binnafon played better than Towles last season, none

Towles played against better D than Reggie and had better stats. The nd win was impressive but they had 9 defenders out for that game and that may have hurt their D a little bit.

But if you would like to wager on towles not getting drafted then I'm down!!!!

I think they will both improve. Towles has a good ability to get positive yards if the pocket disappears. He needs to show more confidence in himself and take shots. From what I saw he had hesitancy at times.

RB has intangibles but he's not an average passer right now. He did go through some things last year that might have stunted his growth off the field, so he could become a better ball player.

My questions are, is the offense changing for UK? If yes, do you feel the new offense will suit Towles skills more than the O he ran last year?

Other things to consider, the Louisville O-line is highly suspect, and the WR group is a downgrade from the year before. I am pretty sure you're going to see multiple QBs play for Louisville.

Respectfully, based upon what premise?
Well, I could ask the same question but since this was thrown out there for discussion I would have to say that Rodgers is a superstar and Dalton is an average to below average QB. While Reggie is clearly better than Towles, I don't think Reggie is a superstar yet and is probably closer to being just above average while Towles is probably pretty average. Does that make sense?

This is so ridiculous it qualifies as trolling. Cut it out. You've been warned.
Sorry. I just saw your post after I responded to another. I think if you read my post that I made replying to the poster asking me a question, my original post will make more sense.

Towles not get drafted? Lol. He'll be a first round pick. Give me some of what you're smoking.
Maybe by the time he's done he will work his way into the draft. No way he gets drafted in the first round. Neither Brian Brohm or ANdre Woodson were first rounders and they were much better QB's than Towles. I think we can all agree on that whether we are red or blue.

This is so ridiculous it qualifies as trolling. Cut it out. You've been warned.

This guy does this on nearly every thread, and then Steelers and the other guy act like I pull ludicrous UL fan comments out of thin air.

Well, I could ask the same question but since this was thrown out there for discussion I would have to say that Rodgers is a superstar and Dalton is an average to below average QB. While Reggie is clearly better than Towles, I don't think Reggie is a superstar yet and is probably closer to being just above average while Towles is probably pretty average. Does that make sense?

There is absolutely zero "clear" evidence that Reggie is better than Towles. That's just silly.

You don't have to agree with us, Kiper, or mark richt about towles but Reggie has shown nothing yet..

This is actually the first season that UK will have a legitimate set of receivers and they will still be very young.

It's ridiculous to compare these QB's based on last years numbers.

UofL had the best receiver in the country and UK had a bunch of true freshmen.

Towles is better AND he has more upside AND he absolutely WILL be drafted!!

No kidding right? As good as Reggie is, it makes you wonder who was ahead of him in high school. If Reggie is starting for a top 10 program you would assume that the kid ahead of him would be at Alabama or something. I know it doesn't always work like that but you get my point.

Wait, what? Which top ten program is Reggie starting for this year?

Make sense? Your entire post is fallacious. Hell your body of work in this thread is fallacious. You've gone so far off the deep end that you've become a joke. You have officially lost any credibility you may have once had.

Couple Louisville stations mentioned yesterday Reggie is superior.

Thoughts?

I would take Towles and not think twice..Towles has barely even scratched the surface of his potential and he was still one of the top QB's in the SEC last year (behind an O-line that gave up 36 sacks throwing the ball to a bunch of true freshmen)

There's a reason NFL scouts have Towles ranked as one of the top-10 QB's in the nation when he hasn't even hit his stride yet..they see the talent that's there..once he puts it all together and gets the players around him to step up he's going to be scary good

Bonnafon is serviceable, but he's not on Towles' level..go ask Bobby Petrino which QB he'd rather have..he heaped praise on Towles before the game last year like I've rarely seen him do with any QB..Bonnafon benefited from playing under a great offensive coach (and great QB coach) in Petrino..if you stuck Towles in that system he'd be an All-American..Petrino takes every Qb that plays under him and makes them look a whole lot better than they actually are

Reactions: woodson991
This is a ridiculous thread and ridiculous question. Towles is a much better QB than Bonnafon right now. There is nothing wrong with admitting that UL trolls.

But it's even crazier to say Towles won't get drafted. He's the prototypical QB the NFL loves.

I think theres a lot of QB talent on both teams though.

Towles & Barker are both gonna make it to the NFL.

Gardner and Bonnafon will both be drafted too. Bonnafon will no matter where he lines up.

But I think Barker has the most potential out of all of them.

Couple Louisville stations mentioned yesterday Reggie is superior.

Thoughts?

The jury is out on both guys right now. As a Card fan I can tell you last year other than a few flashes of quality play I thought Reggie was a liability on offense. He was not accurate in his passing and he was slow making the correct reads and held on to the ball to long. We were much better with Gardiner before he was hurt and Bolin in the UK game and even the Georgia game.

WIth that said the truth is Reggie was a very inexperience true freshmen QB who had no business playing last season He was not ready. In the spring Reggie looked much better. His throws were better and decisions quicker but time will tell. UL has a a lot of competition at QB.

As for Towels he has had some great games but also some bad games. He is a hard guys to figure. This year will show what he has. Towles is 2 years older than Reggie and has much more time in the UK program

From the couple of Louisville stations I have heard from time to time most of their discussions are about UK athletics. And these are baiting!

to be fair about it, Towles has been in college 2 years longer......but will be playing under his 3rd different offensive coordinator in 4 years in 2015. Bonnafon will be in year 2 of the same system, same coaches he has only ever known.

again, write it down in ink......not only is this comparison a blowout win for Towles, but by October 1st UL invaders on this site will be claiming that their new starting QB who replaces Bonnafon is the one who is the best starting QB in the state, that he is the one who is so clearly and objectively superior to Towles.

First off, the jury on Towles is not out, it's in and Reggie loses. I've watched Reggie play for years and while his ball is pretty it almost never hits its target (MALE beat his Trinity team every time they played and easily because he was terrible.) Funny haired ESPN guy never mentions Reggie like he does Towles as a top QB so stop it, this is dumb. UL coaches would take Towles in a minute. I can't believe they still have Reggie in the backfield.

There has been considerable debate on the Louisville boards about who should be the starter. I'm not sure that either Towles or Bonnafon have done enough for accolades. Lots of potential, though.

I think most any objective observer would agree that if RB stays in the game last year then UK wins going away. They were jammed with him in the game. Completely dominated. Best thing that happened to UL was him going out. It manifested on the first play that the other dude came in.

Towles is a couple years older. Towles still has a long way to go (in games) to prove that he is a good QB. Towles was better last year.

Towles is a couple years older. Towles still has a long way to go (in games) to prove that he is a good QB. Towles was better last year.
I just don't see how some of you think it is so clear cut that Towles is better. Reggie won at Notre Dame and nearly (honestly should have) won at Clemson. Towles had a nice year but wasn't all that great. Certainly not clearly better than Reggie. I just don't see how anyone could think his year was better than Reggie's.

I just don't see how some of you think it is so clear cut that Towles is better. Reggie won at Notre Dame and nearly (honestly should have) won at Clemson. Towles had a nice year but wasn't all that great. Certainly not clearly better than Reggie. I just don't see how anyone could think his year was better than Reggie's.

You can't be serious...Bonnafon was pulled in the Clemson game...they sat him in the 2nd half...he was 5/13 for 62 yards passing and had -28 rushing yards in that game.

Against ND he was 8/21 (38%) for 180 yards - ran for 35 yards on 15 attempts.

I clearly have never pumped up Towles on this board...I think he has tons to prove, but has NFL measurable on his side...he was definitely better than RBonnafon last season.

Reactions: SAECATFAN
I think a lot of this feeling comes from recruiting rankings. Towles was highly ranked so some just carry this notion that said player is better than what they are showing on the field. I just read a post from Jack Coffee (who heads up the Louisville Rivals site) on our board that basically outed the recruiting service process. He said that when players commit or get mentioned with schools with a large subscriber base, they tend to bump up their rankings to keep the base happy. Obviously UK has an enormous subscriber base thus the rankings are actually higher than they should be. Don't kill the messenger. This comes from a someone who's been in the game a long time and runs the UofL version of this service.

I think a lot of this feeling comes from recruiting rankings. Towles was highly ranked so some just carry this notion that said player is better than what they are showing on the field. I just read a post from Jack Coffee (who heads up the Louisville Rivals site) on our board that basically outed the recruiting service process. He said that when players commit or get mentioned with schools with a large subscriber base, they tend to bump up their rankings to keep the base happy. Obviously UK has an enormous subscriber base thus the rankings are actually higher than they should be. Don't kill the messenger. This comes from a someone who's been in the game a long time and runs the UofL version of this service.

You don't even know what games Bonnafon played in...so please sit this one out.

Patrick had a great Spring with imo a much improved cast surrounding him! Patrick last season had great moments then some not so great. Personally think not so greats were due mostly his o. line getting out manned against the better SEC teams.
Far as Reggie only saw his performance versus The CATS--enough said!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT