ADVERTISEMENT

Better QB-Patrick Towles or Reggie Bonnafon

I have a feeling Towles will prove who is better this season.

Yep. Bonnafon could have had an argument for a bit last season, but overall, Towles is a much bigger threat than Bonnafon. I expect a significant improvement from Towles this season, not so much from Bonnafon. Could definitely see another QB at Louisville overtaking him.

Will RB even start at ul?
Ha, yeah not the whole season. Less than 5% chance he starts 12 games.

Someone else will take over UL's starting QB spot. And then all their fans & their media (same thing, lol) will declare THAT guy as the best starting QB in the state.

Well, we have to be pretty fair with this. First off, Bonnafon does not have much of a pool of work to make a decision from. He only completed about 50 percent of his passes for the year and had just one more TD than interception. Still, he did this, if I am not mistaken, as a true freshman. Next year he'll be a sophomore compared to Towles being a redshirt junior. You would expect Towles to be better simply off of more experience. Who will be better in the end is really anyone's guess. Either way, I know that Towles needs to find a bit more consistency if UK wants to be even more competitive this year, and Bonnafon needs to be able to handle possibly taking over the reins entirely on his own. Neither one of these guys has really proven themselves to be irreplaceable, so they still have a lot of work to do.

They only remember the towles they saw at papa john's last nov,with no Baker,an injuryed Blue/Timmon's ect..
The weapon's we have on that side of the ball is something not seen in year's...
I started to make a long reply then decided it's useless till we beat them!

Couple Louisville stations mentioned yesterday Reggie is superior.

Thoughts?
Bolin gave us about 17 points, and Bonnafon did nothing before getting hurt. Towles did not look as good as Bolin. So I am not sure either is that good, but with another year under their belts, they both could be much better. No way of telling which will do better. Bonnafon is a better athlete, Towles is probably a better QB.

Thoughts?

I think Towles has more physical tools, quite a bit more actually. But when we played both, neither looked very comfortable when dropping back to pass. That's huge for a qb, to get comfortable in the pocket or when he is rolling out with all the things going on around him. Whichever one gets that will be the best qb this season.

Bolin gave us about 17 points, and Bonnafon did nothing before getting hurt. Towles did not look as good as Bolin. So I am not sure either is that good, but with another year under their belts, they both could be much better. No way of telling which will do better. Bonnafon is a better athlete, Towles is probably a better QB.

ul had a couple of receivers that was better then any team we played. Towles would have loved that.

Reactions: brianpoe
Towles will be drafted to play qb In a couple years. Bonnafon may be playing wr before he leaves ul. I get that the superiority complex coming out of Floyd street still thinks Bobby is king and UK just sucks but anyone that watches a lot of football can't say that bon is a better qb.. he's just not in any measure... it's even debatable if he's a better athlete.

Naturally the Louisville radio stations will pick Bonnafon. They only repeat what Tom Jurich tells them to say. If I am picking a QB, I will take Patrick Towles over Reggie Bonnafon.

Bolin for UL looked better than both of them. In addition, Petrino is a master at getting QBs to play well. UK has not proven they have a QB coach to match Petrino yet. I hope that changes soon because Towles would probably already be an all american under Petrino. I still cannot understand why we didn't have a QB coach under Neil Brown. Just looked like a really dumb coaching situation for UK last year. I wasn't impressed with Neil Brown as a QB coach.

This is Towles 4th year in College and he has played QB all his life...this is Bonnefon 2nd Year in College and he only played QB 1 year at the HS Level his Senior Year...Towles is better at this point....

Bolin for UL looked better than both of them. In addition, Petrino is a master at getting QBs to play well. UK has not proven they have a QB coach to match Petrino yet. I hope that changes soon because Towles would probably already be an all american under Petrino. I still cannot understand why we didn't have a QB coach under Neil Brown. Just looked like a really dumb coaching situation for UK last year. I wasn't impressed with Neil Brown as a QB coach.
Devante Parker is the reason that Bolin looked better...
Bolin isn't in the same league as Towles or Barker either one.
Bolin has already been recruited over and he'll end up transferring before it's all said and done IMO...

Louisville is such a peculiar little provincial town. if you leave this city and go anywhere else in the state, or hell anywhere else in the country and pose this question the person would look at you as though you were crazy to even think it was a tough choice.

some in this little homer town not only think Bonnafon is better than Towles, but will be the better QB on the field when UL plays Auburn 1st weekend. Again, leave the 50% of this fanbase & fanboy media and ask that question of CFB followers and they will laugh in your face.

Louisville is such a peculiar little provincial town. if you leave this city and go anywhere else in the state, or hell anywhere else in the country and pose this question the person would look at you as though you were crazy to even think it was a tough choice.

some in this little homer town not only think Bonnafon is better than Towles, but will be the better QB on the field when UL plays Auburn 1st weekend. Again, leave the 50% of this fanbase & fanboy media and ask that question of CFB followers and they will laugh in your face.
I haven't seen where Louisville fans are saying they have the best quarterback on the field against Auburn I think you are dreaming heck we haven't even named a starter good try though

Can you vote for Kyle Bolin?

Bonnafon is pretty good, but I have a hard time imagining him ultimately being the guy for them. You gotta figure that sooner or later Petrino will figure out the QB position ... especially considering how well he's recruiting. IMO he kind of duffed it last year and still won 9 games.

Saying Bonnafon is better than Jeremy Johnson is insane.

Wins make QB's. Towles beat South Carolina I guess (really it was Jo Jo) and floundered at the end of the season. Bonnafon stunk early then beat Notre Dame on the road. I think both have bright futures and Petrino has a better history with QB development than anyone on UK's staff. I would rather have Towles and I think Towles should be better at years end but not sure we can thump our chests about him just yet. We will see how he clicks with Dawson. Both are too young to proclaim anything at this point other than opinion and speculation.

Reactions: BlueTick2

Thoughts?

First off, I wouldn't trust a Louisville Cardinal based radio show for any reliable information dealing with comparing one of their players/murderers with one of our players. They would probably say that Reese Gaines was a better pro than Anthony Davis will ever be. That being said, just look at the current stats, the quarterback rating differs between the two.

Patty Ice stats vs. murderers row schedule =

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/patrick-towles-1.html

Reggie Cinnabon vs. top heavy lesser ACC schedule =

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/reggie-bonnafon-1.html

I think you can easily see that Patty Ice has the edge... both in Rushing and Passing.

I understand Cinnabon was thrown into the starting postion as a freshman(as Patrick was til hurt), but his completion percentage was barely above 50%, I don't think that makes for a very good QB.. much less a Pettrino QB. I would start Bolin and let him roll with the team... Let Cinnabon change positions.

I hate UofL as much as anybody. And I'm not about to say that Bonnafon is a better QB than Towles. But credit where credit is due. He played tough against some pretty good teams in Clemson and FSU last year and beat Notre Dame at ND (although they are perpetually overrated, it's still a tough road win)... I like Bonnafon's toughness. He lost his Dad last year and still hung tough. So I won't let my dislike for Louisville impact the way I feel about the kid...

im sure bonnafon is a good guy but there is nothing in his resume to move him ahead of towles in a "who's better" comparison other than just being a petrino/ul fan. he had a more experienced line, more experienced receivers, he had te's who could catch, he played an overall easier schedule and even the nd win... they had 9 players out off the defensive side.

now they could say i expect him to put up better #'s in his sr year than towles does in his sr year but that is a stupid comparison to make anyway due to different classes. but last year and this year towles is the better qb.

Pointless question. Neither are above average. Bonnafon has proven nothing that would point to him being a good qb yet. Just an athlete trying to learn the position. Towels has shown glimpses which is more than Reggie and therefore puts him ahead in the discussion but not any level of consistency/reliability to classify him above average. Just a weak question by a radio guy trying to get interest from listeners.

Just tired of Petrino beating us, he is obviously good at coaching up QB's . Lettssssggoooooo Wildcats!

Pure 2014 QB stats for Towles and each potential UofL starting QB (those with stats as a UofL starter):

Towles (12 games)
QB rating: 122.8
Completion %: 57,4
TDs: 20 (14 passing, 6 rushing)
Ints: 9

Bonnafon (9 appearances)
QB rating: 118.4
Completion %: 50.8
TDs: 10 (5 passing, 5 rushing)
Ints: 4

Gardner (8 appearances)
QB rating: 136.1
Completion %: 57.5
TDs: 12
Ints: 3

Bolin (4 appearances)
QB rating: 144.0
Completion %: 57,7
TDs: 4
Ints: 3

For the inevitable question, DeVonte Parker caught 5 of the team total 21 TD passes.

Last edited:
I love how some of our fans heard one idiot commentator say Towles had "happy feet" and now that's all they talk about. It's not a bad thing behind our o-line.

This is Towles 4th year in College and he has played QB all his life...this is Bonnefon 2nd Year in College and he only played QB 1 year at the HS Level his Senior Year...Towles is better at this point....
There was a reason Reggie only played one year of QB in high school. He wasn't near as good as the starter. I think that says something.

There was a reason Reggie only played one year of QB in high school. He wasn't near as good as the starter. I think that says something.

I don't follow high school football. But I do know Trinity has a long and storied history. Can anyone identify that player who started at QB ahead of RB for Trinity, and tell us where he is today? Thanks in advance.

Kinda early for this question. Despite a 2 year class difference both guys are really only 1 year into their college career. And, IMO, both have a long way to go. I have no idea "how" he came up with it but, FWIW, Steele ranked UofL's QB "unit" #41 and UK was unranked. But the list stopped at 45 and they could have been #46.

Peace

ADVERTISEMENT