ADVERTISEMENT

Better QB-Patrick Towles or Reggie Bonnafon

can
I think a lot of this feeling comes from recruiting rankings. Towles was highly ranked so some just carry this notion that said player is better than what they are showing on the field. I just read a post from Jack Coffee (who heads up the Louisville Rivals site) on our board that basically outed the recruiting service process. He said that when players commit or get mentioned with schools with a large subscriber base, they tend to bump up their rankings to keep the base happy. Obviously UK has an enormous subscriber base thus the rankings are actually higher than they should be. Don't kill the messenger. This comes from a someone who's been in the game a long time and runs the UofL version of this service.
jack coffee is as big a homer as there is out there. yes some schools get bumped up, bama, ut, texas, osu... but UK isn't a fly on the wall in football yet. towles worked with whitfield who has worked with a lot of good qb's in the pros and he said towles was the kind of guy you can build a program around. kiper is not a UK fan last time i checked but he says towles is top 3 qb prospects at this time in the jr class. obviously he has to continue to improve and having more talent around him and a better line should let him show more of his skill this year and next.

rb may end up being good but he has not shown anything yet. im not hating when i say that he will likely be playing wr before he leaves ul. your coaches like him better because the o-line is suspect and he's more mobile than the other guys. to argue he's better NOW is pure troll bait by the media guy and you.

Why the hell do you give this joker a shred of respect, haven't you been reading his posts/

Well, I was trying to just make the point that I was seriously asking why he thought that Bonnafon was "clearly better," but he never actually answered the question because he apparently didn't understand it.

Trinity won three straight state titles and a HS National Championship. Bonafon was not a major contributor or the starting QB. His senior year he gets the QB spot and they dipped. After he leaves they win it again. That kinda says something.

can

jack coffee is as big a homer as there is out there.

Have to disagree. Jack is a business man. In fact, I am not sure he is really a fan at all. I think he just covers UofL sports to make a living. I recall he used to have a radio show on here in town and he didn't come across as a homer at all. In fact, I recall him crushing UofL fans for pooping in Steve Kragthorpe's pool. Any UofL fan would not have attacked fans like that nor defended Steve Kragthorpe. Like I said, it's a business. He was very matter of fact on his show and never really came across like a cheerleader.

At this point, Towles has proven more at the collegiate level, but to be fair also is two classes older than Bonnafon. Bonnafon perhaps has more raw overall talent, but that doesn't mean you're a better quarterback at all. At gunpoint I'd take Towles right now, but that doesn't mean that doesn't change over the course of this season.

Both guys have a ton to prove this year - has either even officially been named the starter?. This is kind of a weird discussion to have at this point, because we're not exactly comparing Tom Brady vs. Aaron Rodgers.

your coaches like him better because the o-line is suspect and he's more mobile than the other guys.

Good and accurate point, IMO. Both Gardner and Bolin were more accurate passers. IMHO, Gardner is the best pure QB of our three, and will return to QB1 if and when he returns to full health. In the meantime, I believe Bonnafon will get the start, again, due to his added demonsion of mobility. He did have 5 rushing TDs last year. I think the better comparison of QBs is Towles vs Gardner.

Towles (12 games)
QB rating: 122.8
Completion %: 57,4
TDs: 20 (14 passing, 6 rushing)
Ints: 9
Sacks: 36

Gardner (8 appearances)
QB rating: 136.1
Completion %: 57.5
TDs: 12 (all passing)
Ints: 3
Sacks: 13

As if this debate topic was not stupid and foolish enough...but please, lets compare UK's healthy elite-level athlete QB to a guy walking around on what, now 3 (and counting) completely surgically rebuilt knees

Have to disagree. Jack is a business man. In fact, I am not sure he is really a fan at all. I think he just covers UofL sports to make a living. I recall he used to have a radio show on here in town and he didn't come across as a homer at all. In fact, I recall him crushing UofL fans for pooping in Steve Kragthorpe's pool. Any UofL fan would not have attacked fans like that nor defended Steve Kragthorpe. Like I said, it's a business. He was very matter of fact on his show and never really came across like a cheerleader.

Wow, your hits keep coming. Jack Coffee is full of hate for UK and that's all that matters to me. He's blinded by it. He's a jealous, hateful man.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
Wow, your hits keep coming. Jack Coffee is full of hate for UK and that's all that matters to me. He's blinded by it. He's a jealous, hateful man.
Do you know Jack? I must admit, I don't know him personally. Only what I've heard from his old radio show and some spots he's done on other local shows. He always seemed like a pretty down to Earth guy who kind of told it like it was. He didn't seem biased at all to me. I am sincerely curious. If you know him personally and he is truly hateful, I will have to reexamine my thoughts. He's never come across like that in all my years of following Jack. Like I said, he was very critical of UofL fans during Kragthorpe's departure. That always struck me as odd since Krags was a train wreck. You would think a "blinded" UofL fan would side with his fan base and not an outgoing coach who was an utter failure.

Also, do you know if he is any relation to Nick Coffee who has a local radio show here in town?

As if this debate topic was not stupid and foolish enough...but please, lets compare UK's healthy elite-level athlete QB to a guy walking around on what, now 3 (and counting) completely surgically rebuilt knees

The above stats were from a guy with 2 surgically rebuilt knees. And "Gimpy" was only sacked 13 times in 221 pass attempts behind an admittedly suspect O-line.

@Petjurino please stay out of this thread...you have forfeited the right to discuss.

Bonnafon almost led them to the win vs Clemson [laughing]

Do you know Jack? I must admit, I don't know him personally. Only what I've heard from his old radio show and some spots he's done on other local shows. He always seemed like a pretty down to Earth guy who kind of told it like it was. He didn't seem biased at all to me. I am sincerely curious. If you know him personally and he is truly hateful, I will have to reexamine my thoughts. He's never come across like that in all my years of following Jack. Like I said, he was very critical of UofL fans during Kragthorpe's departure. That always struck me as odd since Krags was a train wreck. You would think a "blinded" UofL fan would side with his fan base and not an outgoing coach who was an utter failure.

Also, do you know if he is any relation to Nick Coffee who has a local radio show here in town?

I don't, but have heard him on the radio many times on many different shows. Personally he may be a fine guy, but I have heard him make ridiculous observations about UK clearly due to his bias.

I don't, but have heard him on the radio many times on many different shows. Personally he may be a fine guy, but I have heard him make ridiculous observations about UK clearly due to his bias.
Steelers probably knows him. Steelers, what can you tell us about Jack Coffee? Is he a pretty standup guy? Also, is he biased against UK? I have never picked up on it on his radio show but some others say he is. Just curious since I imagine you know the guy. Thank.

Also, is he related to Nick Coffee?

Steelers probably knows him. Steelers, what can you tell us about Jack Coffee? Is he a pretty standup guy? Also, is he biased against UK? I have never picked up on it on his radio show but some others say he is. Just curious since I imagine you know the guy. Thank.

Really don't give a chit about Jack Coffee .....We have TKE's info and thats good enough.

I've never met, nor heard, the man before. I just know he is a UofL board mod. That's the extent of my knowledge of him.

Petjurino,

While I think your takes are off, you generally seem like an nice guy. That said, I don't need Steelers opinion on Coffee. Coffee is a turd. Howie is a turd. Zip is a turd. I know UL fans that know these guys (Coffee and Zipp) and they say they are turds.

Turds....

Reactions: JHB4UK
Just FYI, EasyCard also verified that this is a common practice among recruiting services over on the UofL board.

I've never met, nor heard, the man before. I just know he is a UofL board mod. That's the extent of my knowledge of him.
I know he runs the Louisville Sports report and the rivals site (or at least he did not too long ago). He used to have a show called the Cardinal Corner. It was probably the best show in the area at the time. They had him, Howie, and a couple of other guys. He was a good guy to listen to. The show also had a really catchy lead in song. I wish I could remember how it goes but it was really good. I would download it on iPod if I could find it somewhere.

I know he runs the Louisville Sports report and the rivals site (or at least he did not too long ago). He used to have a show called the Cardinal Corner. It was probably the best show in the area at the time. They had him, Howie, and a couple of other guys. He was a good guy to listen to. The show also had a really catchy lead in song. I wish I could remember how it goes but it was really good. I would download it on iPod if I could find it somewhere.
:eyes: WTF

Is perjury seriously trying to say that UK recruits get a bump because it's UK? Are you f'ing serious?

You know you're losing the fight when you start trying to say things like UK gets a ratings bump because of our subscriber base or that stars don't matter. Because I heard the 2nd one a lot in defense of Joker. If this is the party line out of UL that means you all are scared. And you should be. UK is about to make a serious jump in the next couple of years. Won't be able to count on UK as an automatic win any longer. In fact, I'll go as far as to say starting this year that UK will win 3 out of every 4 games we play with UL going forward.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
GUYS, HOLD IT FOR CHRIST SAKES!.

EASY CARD CONFIRMED IT SO ALL YOU SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE AND REALIZE JACK COFFEE BELONGS TO SOUTHEAST CHRISTIAN.

Jack Coffee is such a turd he had HOWIE (HOWIE!!!) taking photos at games of unruly fans cursing at Kragthorpe and posting those in the Louisville Sports Report to try to embarrass the fans. [laughing]

Never forget a Louisville fan questioning if it was a joke or not and Howie responding along the lines with

" if your screaming at the sidelines at the coaches you can bet your bottom dollar we will have a camera down there and we will make the photos public to show fans how embarrassing they are to the fan base"

Reactions: TKE_
Towles is a better QB than Bonnofon. IMO UK has at least two QBs better than Bonnofon and maybe three. Maybe even four. I haven't seen WO Mattingly play so I can not say for sure on the fourth.

Heck I do not think Bonnofon is even the best QB on UofLs team.

If Steele has UofLs QBs ranked higher than UKs he is mistaken.

Surprised this has gone 3 Pages...all i will say on this subject is we could trade straight up I would take Towles over Bonnefon especially with Petrino as his Offensive Coach...Bigger player that has played the position most of his life that this should not be a real debate at this point in time

The jury is out on both guys right now. As a Card fan I can tell you last year other than a few flashes of quality play I thought Reggie was a liability on offense. He was not accurate in his passing and he was slow making the correct reads and held on to the ball to long. We were much better with Gardiner before he was hurt and Bolin in the UK game and even the Georgia game.

WIth that said the truth is Reggie was a very inexperience true freshmen QB who had no business playing last season He was not ready. In the spring Reggie looked much better. His throws were better and decisions quicker but time will tell. UL has a a lot of competition at QB.

As for Towels he has had some great games but also some bad games. He is a hard guys to figure. This year will show what he has. Towles is 2 years older than Reggie and has much more time in the UK program

If I typed Bonefun would you correct me?

IMO a word that best describes Petjurino is a word that rhymes with Cards. I apologize if he is a young kid. He has definitely became a CPT Cats Play Thing.

Maybe by the time he's done he will work his way into the draft. No way he gets drafted in the first round. Neither Brian Brohm or ANdre Woodson were first rounders and they were much better QB's than Towles. I think we can all agree on that whether we are red or blue.

Serious Question: If they were both on the same team, who do you think would be the starter for the Oregon Beavers? Reggie or Patrick?

Just FYI, EasyCard also verified that this is a common practice among recruiting services over on the UofL board.
OK, UK just got a commit from a juco ot that was ranked #3 at his position and he was rated 1 spot below a 4* immediately after he committed. had he committed to bama, uga, aub, or any of the other schools recruiting him im sure he'd of been a 4*. boom was rated the #1 apb in the country and immediately after committing to UK he was dropped to 6th. UK does not get the bonus points that you're talking about... again, just stop with the nonsense. 90% of the kids we get end up getting dropped several spots in the rankings and some of our commits dont get rated even when they go to a camp and do well and have offers from wisc, neb, mich st, ms st, scar, aub, nc st, and whoever else. if you want to rationalize our success i'd do it on your board cause its not even a smidge of truth in relation to UK recruits in football.

Towles has all of the tools to be a good NFL QB. If he can get the mental part of the game down I could see him having a good draft position. He has the arm and is athletic for a pro style QB. If his accuracy and reading of defenses improve he has a real shot at the Pros.

OK, UK just got a commit from a juco ot that was ranked #3 at his position and he was rated 1 spot below a 4* immediately after he committed. had he committed to bama, uga, aub, or any of the other schools recruiting him im sure he'd of been a 4*. boom was rated the #1 apb in the country and immediately after committing to UK he was dropped to 6th. UK does not get the bonus points that you're talking about... again, just stop with the nonsense. 90% of the kids we get end up getting dropped several spots in the rankings and some of our commits dont get rated even when they go to a camp and do well and have offers from wisc, neb, mich st, ms st, scar, aub, nc st, and whoever else. if you want to rationalize our success i'd do it on your board cause its not even a smidge of truth in relation to UK recruits in football.

You are wasting your time trying to reason with someone as illogical as Petjurino.

I find it interesting that Rivals waited until now to finally give our recruits a supposed "bump". Surely they could have done this at any other point to try and keep our fanbase "satisfied".

Card fans, Petjurino is an example of why you can't have nice things. Nice things like respect from your rival and the ability to post here.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT