Is Mark Pope the GUY?

• YES!

Votes: 193 91.0%
  • No!

Votes: 19 9.0%

• Total voters
R.2caaeefcda579dbd660fbfd6e67088f2

I was at Rupp. I was so happy I went.

THAT WAS THE REAL KENTUCKY! The 96 cats succeed anything Cal has done imo. Why? Because they cared about UK!

Rick Pitino called us Rome and Camelot. You never hear Cal say that!

LETS GO MARK POPE!
Pitino did understand how great the job was. I’ll give him that, he has been really getting back into my good graces recently with his comments.

That’s what we needed. At least us older fans. I know the younger fans don’t know about it, but the heart and determination those 90’s teams played with is what we’ve been missing. The fact that they get it, He understands it, means a lot. Putting on that uniform is much bigger than any one person, it represents the whole commonwealth. It’s just different here, it’s the way it is. I’m pumped! Can’t wait!

Very few teams and coaches have won consecutive titles, Pope and UK are headlining NCAAM page. Not Hurley

That's wild, and it's going viral. Pope will get a convo with any recruit high school or portal because of that presser today.

If they didn't know a lot about UK BB, or weren't interested, they're browsing the high lights now. If they didn't know Pope, they're looking him up. Captain on a title team, NBA, now head coach at a program that sells out practices and press conferences.

First time in a while they've heard a team and program pride pitch from anyone.

Nobody has talked like Pope talked today, and I think kids will at least be interested. In a world gone "Me me me..." and lot of youth out there searching for more, I think the idea of playing for greatness and being a part of something will resonate.

He has me sold so far. He has the momentum to be incredibly successful early on. He is not a successful coach in the NCAA Tournament (yet), but I love his passion and attitude toward this program and like him the most out of all the possible candidates we could've gotten instead. We needed the best person that can reignite the engine, and I don't think any of the other coaches mentioned could've done it any better than Pope did today. UK Basketball feels alive for the first time since March 2015!

Reactions: Farsight
Can’t change it and I wouldn’t at this point. I don’t know what will happen but today’s pep rally got me excited.

I loved seeing everybody back and how excited everyone is. I loved all of the shots at the old culture. I want this to work out badly. Good guy. Said all of the right things.

It’s a home run hire for me. Watch his offense at BYU with not a lot of talent. It’s called team basketball with actually plays, screens, and cuts to the basketball. Only need to give him all 4 star players and he will be cutting down some nets. Going to be some good times again. 😁

Reactions: CGblue and Farsight
Yes! He said all of the right things today and I love the passion he has for Kentucky. They could have hired someone else, but no one would love this school like Pope does. I think he succeeds, especially with a mentor like Pitino in his corner. Regardless of your feelings for the man, he is important to Pope. Still want to see Mark beat Hubert and Scheyer to winning a title at their alma mater.

Of course we are, I still think Donovan is the much better hire but any true fan is going to support the team regardless. I hope the guy can stack a roster and Reed comes back.
Donovan turned us down twice...before BCG and before Cal. He hasn't coached college in a decade. Eff him

he has the built in transfer portal pitch too. I transferred into this university and they changed my life, look at this press conference and how they welcome me back after 20+ years. O and we have this NIL bag too.

I’m all in. About 7 months until the Duke game. I hate Duke and want to wipe the floor with them. Coach has a lot of work to do in a short amount of time to do it.

I like Pope. Today's introduction was certainly good for an adrenaline surge, but I still have sober-minded concerns (no NCAA wins, porous defensive schemes, unproven at highest levels of recruiting). I do think fans will be happy to give a UK product ample opportunity to grow into the job. In my mind, the worst that can happen is MB (finally) takes the fall if it doesn't work out.

I was at Rupp. I was so happy I went.

THAT WAS THE REAL KENTUCKY! The 96 cats succeed anything Cal has done imo. Why? Because they cared about UK!

Rick Pitino called us Rome and Camelot. You never hear Cal say that!

LETS GO MARK POPE!
Cal said the same thing.

Absolutely.

I'm even going to be ....... patient. I don't expect to go to the FF next year. I want to see the roster Pope builds. I want to see how we play. I want to see how he recruits his first class. This might be more of a program/foundation build than the quick fix "reload" philosophy we're used to.

Yes. I am SO ready for some genuine sincerity over hyperbole. When he asked his family to stand up and said, "Pope family, I want to introduce you to OUR family"...I've never felt more a part of Kentucky basketball. He knows what WE know. Without BBN, none of this is possible.

I think everyone is getting ahead of themselves. When everyone was going to revolt because of the hire; that was a little extreme. Now everyone has flipped to, he’s going to be great. I’ll take a wait and see approach but my guess is he’ll be average at best. Most likely Tubby like results. Which is ok for a while anyway.

The reception was crazy. I can only imagine what the reception would have been had UK hired a guy who had win a tournament game in his career.

Voted 'No' only because there was not a 'not sure yet' option.
All in? This isn't a faith-based thing with me.
Pope is one of our own and said all the right things but understand that is just talk.
Action and Results are the things that will make me trust him.
And we will not be able to really see the results until next season.
The only thing I am SURE of, is that our X & O's will be drastically improved.
There was nowhere to go but up in that respect.
Time will tell. I'm hopeful but in a wait and see holding pattern.

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT