ADVERTISEMENT

If Mark Pope is truly our next coach. Do you support him?

Do you Support Mark Pope as UK's next Coach?

• Yes

Votes: 115 80.4%
  • No

Votes: 28 19.6%

• Total voters
I’ll support any Kentucky coach as long as they are here. But I won’t vote in your poll because I won’t accept that Mark Pope is the coach until he’s sitting at the podium.

I want to be a Mark Pope fan forever. Don’t put us in this position please!!!

I will not be watching a single Kentucky basketball game on TV, attending a Kentucky basketball game, buy any UK gear, or look at UK basketball media until Barnhart retires or gets fired. If Pope is still the coach after Barnhart is gone I then will give him a chance. This is coming from a UK alumni who was born in Kentucky.

I can’t support the program if it nose dives immediately. I’m not willing to be emotionally tied to that dumpster fire. Having said that I have respect for Pope and hope he is the first coach to go undefeated 5 years in a row. If that makes sense.

Reactions: ukdaven
Pope? Absolutely
Mitch? Absolutely Not

To hire a former player with ZERO tournament wins under their belt because you didn’t want to wait a week on Donovan is inexcusable and negligent; Pope wasn’t going anywhere in that span. To top that off by saying “just give him some time” when the only knock you had on Donovan was the possibility of a bad upcoming season due to timing is insulting to every fan this team has ever had.

Yes. He's engaging, runs a fun offense, and is intelligent enough to dissect what made Pitino great. By all accounts, he's great with Xs and Os and adapts to games.

His big hurdles will be recruiting and getting donors on his side. I hope to God that he already has assistants in mind to go out and get him our next crop of recruits. It'll be easier to recruit to a high level program like Kentucky by default, but he's never done that.

Most of the regulars on this board were on here when Kentucky was 9-16. Even when they were sick and tired of Calipari they showed up in the game threads hoping beyond hope Kentucky could put it together.

So, YES, I believe people will get behind Mark Pope. If he performs well he'll become not only a beloved player, but a beloved HC. If not, people will hold him accountable and want him replaced just like they will any other coach that leads the Wildcats. We will always be fans of Mark Pope the basketball player.

What choice do I have..I love UK.
I like Pope always have but he's not ready yet for this job. I hope he proves me wrong and succeeds in every way. Trust me I have no ego here and would love to eat Crow.
Having said that. I won't accept mediocrity. He knows what's expected and he accepts the task at hand. I'll have no problem lighting his ass up for mediocre results.
Good luck Mark.

Reactions: KYExtemper
This fanbase support a coach? Most will, others will be the same unhinged toxic trash that they have always been.

Last edited:
Reactions: sefus12
Nobody understands better than Mark Pope what is on the line here. He knows he has to deliver or else and I'm sure he's fine with that or he probably wouldn't have taken the job. At least we now have someone that wants to be here for Kentucky and not just be some loser NBA factory.

I'm all in. Cal pit a bad taste in my mouth with his attitude toward the fanbase. It will be so refreshing to hear someone speak with passion for the state and university. And have players you can watch grow with the game.

Reactions: c1doc and BC_Wader
What choice do I have..I love UK.
I like Pope always have but he's not ready yet for this job. I hope he proves me wrong and succeeds in every way. Trust me I have no ego here and would love to eat Crow.
Having said that. I won't accept mediocrity. He knows what's expected and he accepts the task at hand. I'll have no problem lighting his ass up for mediocre results.
Good luck Mark.
If you're not ready at 51 at your 3rd D1 coaching job, you will never be ready.
It all boils down to can he get the job done.

If you're not ready at 51 at your 3rd D1 coaching job, you will never be ready.
It all boils down to can he get the job done.
That's the question.
He knows what's expected so he clearly understands what he's getting into.
I don't think he's ready but he does.
All he has to do is win and keep the program clean. He wanted it, it's his.....go do it.

I will not be watching a single Kentucky basketball game on TV, attending a Kentucky basketball game, buy any UK gear, or look at UK basketball media until Barnhart retires or gets fired. If Pope is still the coach after Barnhart is gone I then will give him a chance. This is coming from a UK alumni who was born in Kentucky.
You gotta be fu**ing kidding me with that response.
Either you're FOS or were never a UK fan to begin with.

Last edited:
Where the crowd that said you can’t hire Golden he hasn’t won shit? They should be advocates to stopping this right ?

Not thrilled but I'm open to see how it goes. Worst case he flames out quick and they go for another homerun hire in a few years. I really like the story of Pope coming back and killing it. Just wasn't as flashy as we expected

That's the question.
He knows what's expected so he clearly understands what he's getting into.
I don't think he's ready but he does.
All he has to do is win and keep the program clean. He wanted it, it's his.....go do it.
Really don't see any difference in Pope and Hubert Davis other than Davis wasn't left a totally depleted roster.
Next year was going to be hard for any coach.

Bye Felicia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT