ADVERTISEMENT

Baltimore, MD entertaining riots

Could say a whole bunch of political or social stuff about this, ain't necessary or the place.

But amazed and amused that several different people last night at different times used the dumb couch burnings by UK students last month as justification for what was happening in Baltimore at the time
I had no Idea things were so dire in Lexington. I guess it could take 20 years to replace all those couches.

By age 23, 49 percent of black males, 44 percent of Hispanic males and 38 percent of white males have been arrested. - Journal of Crime and Delinquency

Not sure your percentage of most normal is of the population.
Still Gardner's death was just a catalyst, there's issues in the inner cities than has boiled over into these riots.

read plenty of analysis debunking that journal's claims when they released it a year & a half ago. but even with those questionable figures, it proves what was said - MOST people in this country do not get arrested 30 times, or 20, or even once. arrested of course we all know doesnt mean going to a trial, or jail, or even being ultimately charged with a crime.

What am I not understanding? How riots are okay? As long as there is a cause you are rioting for?

The Washington Post reported that more white people have been shot and killed by police officers than black people

How many white people are out rioting in the street over this? Its only a story when a black person dies at the hands of a cop and that is only a story because a majority of the black community cant join the rest of us in this moment in time.

Careful... you may cause some people's heads to explode, as they could never fathom such a thing. A cop killing a White Guy!?! That kind of stuff only happens in sci-fi movies.

Agreed but, assault and larceny does not equal just selling loose cigarettes. When we stop trying to paint these criminals in a innocent light we can have real reform people are looking for. I have no disillusions that there are no bad cops. I have had a run in with a few in my day but, I also know that there are a lot more of them out there that are good and put their lives on the line every day for people who need it.

Walking a dog unleashed is an extreme that's 99% likely to be a citation. Likely expired auto tags or license could lead to some cuffs depending on the officers mood and your interaction.
I don't think he was innocent at all. His assault and larceny as quoted are arrests while most seem to stem from the selling of bootleg cigs. With a pack in NYC being $13 I'm sure it's a very lucrative hustle. I've known people from NY that come to visit and load up the minivan with cases of cigs for themselves and friends.
I wonder how much time and resources they have spent on stemming bootleg cigs compared to the tax revenue they lose. Perhaps lowering the taxes on cigarettes so the officers can be used to fighting more dangerous elements in the city.

It truly saddens me to see some of the insensitive and racist comments made by folks regarding this Baltimore situation and any other situation of this nature for that matter. Comments on food stamps, overall generalizations of a culture, ignorant white supremacists statements etc. The world is truly headed for a bitter end. There is very little humanity left anywhere in this world.
Hasn't the city of Baltimore been under Dem rule for years? Isn't the mayor and most of the city council minority? Aren't a large number of Baltimore's police department minority? Why does Baltimore have an employment problem,failing schools,burn their own neighborhoods,loot their business's and all this happening under 8 years of Preiident Obama? Has Holder and Presidential advisor Al Sharpton helped helped improve the lives of the poor and depeived people in the inner cities?
Never mind,I have answered my own questions.

I have no problem whatsoever with the officers being charged. However, I would like to see a DA with a little more professionalism and less agenda driven, militant language and mannerisms.

I have no problem whatsoever with the officers being charged. However, I would like to see a DA with a little more professionalism and less agenda driven, militant language and mannerisms.

Running for Mayor in 5 years.

It's going to be up to the grand jury to determine if it was self inflicted damage in the van or by arresting officers handling while he was down on the ground.

Last edited:
Hasn't the city of Baltimore been under Dem rule for years? Isn't the mayor and most of the city council minority? Aren't a large number of Baltimore's police department minority? Why does Baltimore have an employment problem,failing schools,burn their own neighborhoods,loot their business's and all this happening under 8 years of Preiident Obama? Has Holder and Presidential advisor Al Sharpton helped helped improve the lives of the poor and depeived people in the inner cities?
Never mind,I have answered my own questions.
Yes and, hasn't there been a lot of debate on these forums about the state of this country being better under Obama according to some Dems on here. Unemployment down, better healthcare, stocks up etc....so why all of the demonstrations and talk in the street about the lack of opportunities and jobs. I know it is about fair treatment by police but after some debate about the reactions going to far, many apologist then say that it is because of the lack of money and opportunity. Well, which is it?

Reactions: dezyDeco
Yes and, hasn't there been a lot of debate on these forums about the state of this country being better under Obama according to some Dems on here. Unemployment down, better healthcare, stocks up etc....so why all of the demonstrations and talk in the street about the lack of opportunities and jobs. I know it is about fair treatment by police but after some debate about the reactions going to far, many apologist then say that it is because of the lack of money and opportunity. Well, which is it?[/QUOTE]

I'd love to see it put that way to obumma and his accomplices.
They are the have-cake-and-eat-it-too types. So much so, I'm surprised they haven't all died from diabetes-related conditions.

Gotta love some of y'all on here. It doesn't matter if a person is a criminal. It doesn't matter if they're resisting arrest, or running from the police. Police can only use deadly force if THEIR lives are threatened or a grave danger to the public is present. A fat guy selling loosies ain't a grave danger to the police or the public. A guy afraid to go to jail due to late child support ain't a threat, and did NOT deserve to get shot in the back. Now the 6 police in Baltimore have been charged, and rightfully so. I doubt if the 73 year old wannabe in Tulsa will spend one day in prison...but he's going to lose every dollar he possesses in a civil action.

If all of this means that the police MIGHT actually get away from the 'criminals ain't human so we can treat them like stray dogs' mindset, maybe things will improve.

Reactions: coolcat9lives
Gotta love some of y'all on here. It doesn't matter if a person is a criminal. It doesn't matter if they're resisting arrest, or running from the police. Police can only use deadly force if THEIR lives are threatened or a grave danger to the public is present. A fat guy selling loosies ain't a grave danger to the police or the public. A guy afraid to go to jail due to late child support ain't a threat, and did NOT deserve to get shot in the back. Now the 6 police in Baltimore have been charged, and rightfully so. I doubt if the 73 year old wannabe in Tulsa will spend one day in prison...but he's going to lose every dollar he possesses in a civil action.

If all of this means that the police MIGHT actually get away from the 'criminals ain't human so we can treat them like stray dogs' mindset, maybe things will improve.
No one is saying they deserve to die. Reading comprehension is your friend.

Serious question, Ghost. What do you think police should do when people break the law and physically resist being detained or arrested?

The defense has hired famed racist Clayton Bigsby who continues to blame blacks for breathing all the white mans air. On a lighter note, i miss Dave Chappelle.

Serious question, Ghost. What do you think police should do when people break the law and physically resist being detained or arrested?

Not ghost, but how about trying the pepper spray, baton or tazer first?

When those don't work or if the suspect is an actual threat, go for the gun. But shooting people in the back because you're too damn out of shape/lazy to chase them, is kinda lame.

I understand police officers have a thankless job, but a lot of those dudes have anger issues or Napoleonic complexes. (Tip from personal experience: If you see a cop who's shorter than 6 feet, beware. That dude is likely a dick and overcompensating for something.)

Ah,the perfect world. Maybe now they can stop looting,burning and blaming every body else for their problems. If they don't like what is going on then they should quit reflecting the same faild politicians.
That goes for New York,Minneapolis Minnesota and all the other cities in the United States where people take to the streets to disrupt at the drop of a dime.

Not ghost, but how about trying the pepper spray, baton or tazer first?

When those don't work or if the suspect is an actual threat, go for the gun. But shooting people in the back because you're too damn out of shape/lazy to chase them, is kinda lame.

I understand police officers have a thankless job, but a lot of those dudes have anger issues or Napoleonic complexes. (Tip from personal experience: If you see a cop who's shorter than 6 feet, beware. That dude is likely a dick and overcompensating for something.)

A baton could have possibly caused the spinal cord injury or something as simple as 6 Officers wrestling on top of the perp trying to restrain him could have caused the spinal cord injury. If a perp is asthmatic, pepper spray could kill them as well. Point is If you resist arrest, the odds of you getting injured or killed by the police go up.
And you have the size thing backward, its the big cops that get in their feelings when their size intimidation doesnt work and they have limited communication skills.

Ah,the perfect world. Maybe now they can stop looting,burning and blaming every body else for their problems. If they don't like what is going on then they should quit reflecting the same faild politicians.
That goes for New York,Minneapolis Minnesota and all the other cities in the United States where people take to the streets to disrupt at the drop of a dime.

Unless a jury of 12 citizens find them not guilty, then it will be even worse, according to a sweet misguided teenager.

Pat them on the cheek, take them home for dinner, introduce them to your youngest daughter and apologize for interrupting their criminal activity.

I'll give it a shot. How about training? People resist arrest every day and don't end up dead. As far as the looters are concerned, find them and jail them. I'm not anti police. I'm anti needless killing by people in authority. I'm anti abuse of authority.

I'll give it a shot. How about training? People resist arrest every day and don't end up dead. As far as the looters are concerned, find them and jail them. I'm not anti police. I'm anti needless killing by people in authority. I'm anti abuse of authority.
I am seriously asking for specifics. Train them to do what when they get in the tussle?

Uh oh. Those three racist black cops targeted this guy for his blackness. Wait...
It does paint a different picture. I'm not sure of how much involvement the 3 black officers had in the incident, but it does change the racial piece to it. I'll go back and stand by my stance. Police reform for all races.

[QTE="GhostVol, post: 1634982, member: 7024"]I'll give it a shot. How about training? People resist arrest every day and don't end up dead. As far as the looters are concerned, find them and jail them. I'm not anti police. I'm anti needless killing by people in authority. I'm anti abuse of authority.[/QUOTE]
It is easy to say there are other ways to arrest, detain, stop them from resisting, etc....but actually implementing them well, that is another issue. However, if you are sure it can be done then please show them how.

[QTE="GhostVol, post: 1634982, member: 7024"]I'll give it a shot. How about training? People resist arrest every day and don't end up dead. As far as the looters are concerned, find them and jail them. I'm not anti police. I'm anti needless killing by people in authority. I'm anti abuse of authority.
It is easy to say there are other ways to arrest, detain, stop them from resisting, etc....but actually implementing them well, that is another issue. However, if you are sure it can be done then please show them how.[/QUOTE]

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson

If you attack a police officer without a weapon should that matter? The officer has a gun and must assume you are going to try to get a hold of it I would think. The minute you attack an officer physically you can assume you're going to get shot imo. Any training to the contrary will cost law enforcement lives.

Cops should just stop trying. Let the maniacs take control. Got to work, drive around, don't stop a black person commiting a crime, go eat a donut and draw your pay.

If I was in charge of the national police force, I'd figure out something specific. I have no experience in law enforcement other than serving on Shore Patrol in my Navy days (and the worse thing I dealt with was drunk sailors). But after working in health care for 22 years, I am familiar with 'Sentinel Events'. A sentinel event is an event that results (or can possibly result) in injury or death to a patient not caused by normal medical care. Examples are giving a patient the wrong medication, patient falls, infant abduction, wrong site surgery, etc. Sentinel events are reviewed hospital wide and action plans are formed to prevent such events from happening again. And yes, it involves training.

1. In the New York case, my action plan would be to forbid chokeholds, period. Even tho the NYPD had already forbidden the use of chokeholds, the cop used one anyway. My investigation would focus on simply 'Why'?

2. In the North Charleston case, my action plan would be "Lets review our policy on fleeing suspects. Yeah, if the guy is a suspect in a murder case, by all means, pursue. If the guy is late on child support, we have his info already, and his car. Just call it into headquarters and we'll pick him up later." The city of Charleston did change their pursuit policy after a College of Charleston coed was killed by a guy running from the police in a high speed pursuit. After investigation, the suspect was wanted for not checking in with his probation officer and driving with a suspended license. An innocent coed died, but her death wasn't in vain. Changes were made due to her death.

Again, I have no tolerance for opportunists using the Gray tragedy for looting and burning. Prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law.

Specific enough?

It may be wrong, but at this point if your not responding to police like you could lose your life then ultimately right now that's on you. Right or wrong will be sorted out after your gone, and if that is ok for you then by all means co ti he acting as if you got no sense.

Look, I'm not defending anyone or attacking anyone on either side of this thing, but today you better be realizing it doesn't have to be a worthy reason for anyone on the street or police to take your life.

(.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT