ADVERTISEMENT

Baltimore, MD entertaining riots

If I was in charge of the national police force, I'd figure out something specific. I have no experience in law enforcement other than serving on Shore Patrol in my Navy days (and the worse thing I dealt with was drunk sailors). But after working in health care for 22 years, I am familiar with 'Sentinel Events'. A sentinel event is an event that results (or can possibly result) in injury or death to a patient not caused by normal medical care. Examples are giving a patient the wrong medication, patient falls, infant abduction, wrong site surgery, etc. Sentinel events are reviewed hospital wide and action plans are formed to prevent such events from happening again. And yes, it involves training.

1. In the New York case, my action plan would be to forbid chokeholds, period. Even tho the NYPD had already forbidden the use of chokeholds, the cop used one anyway. My investigation would focus on simply 'Why'?

2. In the North Charleston case, my action plan would be "Lets review our policy on fleeing suspects. Yeah, if the guy is a suspect in a murder case, by all means, pursue. If the guy is late on child support, we have his info already, and his car. Just call it into headquarters and we'll pick him up later." The city of Charleston did change their pursuit policy after a College of Charleston coed was killed by a guy running from the police in a high speed pursuit. After investigation, the suspect was wanted for not checking in with his probation officer and driving with a suspended license. An innocent coed died, but her death wasn't in vain. Changes were made due to her death.

Again, I have no tolerance for opportunists using the Gray tragedy for looting and burning. Prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law.

Specific enough?

Thanks Ghost.. I asked a civil question. You gave a civil answer. How odd in a thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT