ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn at Kentucky (Game 1)

lol Headrick says we're "desperate," this weekend and need wins. Ya think? We have been desperate for wins for a while.

Reactions: SeanCain
UK escapes the first inning as Lee strikes out the next two to get out of the bases loaded jam. Seems like UK has played with fire in this way time and time again and we've actually done pretty well getting out of those jams. Pretty wild.

The Mingione suicide squeeze scores another. Pretty aggressive baserunning for UK helped that one.

Not that it really matters at this point. But I found something interesting.

In SEC play alone, Kentucky is

14th in average, slugging, runs scored, runs batted in, home runs and walks.

13th in hits, total bases and plate appearances.

5th in strikeouts.

And some of these stats are skewed because of two games.

Not that it really matters at this point. But I found something interesting.

In SEC play alone, Kentucky is

14th in average, slugging, runs scored, runs batted in, home runs and walks.

13th in hits, total bases and plate appearances.

5th in strikeouts.

And some of these stats are skewed because of two games.
Yeah they’re just not really good.

Looks like cats will be in the sec tournament regardless of todays result. Mizzu down 6-1 to uga

Cats win the series over another top 20 team. Auburn was actually #5 in the RPI, so a great series win.

I agree with the others above, i don't see any way they fire Ming now. "Injuries" excuse will loom large.

Now that we're in, let's do some damage in Hoover for a change...

Cats win the series over another top 20 team. Auburn was actually #5 in the RPI, so a great series win.

I agree with the others above, i don't see any way they fire Ming now. "Injuries" excuse will loom large.

Now that we're in, let's do some damage in Hoover for a change...

I’m sorry to laugh.

Well, looks like we’re stuck with Mingione for another year. Can’t wait to we go to the last game next season wondering if we’re going to make the SEC tournament or not.

I have a subscription to D1Baseball. During a chat a few weeks ago, they were asked about the chances of UK replacing Mingione. Basically said be careful what you wish for that Kentucky is not a top place for a coach to go to. Plus played the injury card and the struggles that brought.
It would be difficult to hire someone worse. May not know him like we do.

Mitch probably already has another extension ready for coach after making the sec tourney as a 12 seed. Injuries and the UT series will probably be enough to keep him around in which sucks for us that really care about the program.

Mitch probably already has another extension ready for coach after making the sec tourney as a 12 seed. Injuries and the UT series will probably be enough to keep him around in which sucks for us that really care about the program.
Not saying I don't agree, but it'll be injuries, winning series against 4 top 20 ranked teams ad only a win or two from being middle of the pack in the conference.

To each there own I just know how the last few years have been and what the roster has coming back next year and I just don’t think he’s done enough after six years to keep his job. It is what it is though and I’ll root for this program either way.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
It's wild that it's been 5 years since we've finished better than 10th in the league, and this season we were a game shy of not even making the SEC tournament, and we are still thinking our coach is likely back again next year.

I wonder if Guilfoil will get drafted? He has been a real bright spot for UK. Why did we not recruit him out of HS? He went to Lafayette right here in Lexington.

Reactions: parrott
It's wild that it's been 5 years since we've finished better than 10th in the league, and this season we were a game shy of not even making the SEC tournament, and we are still thinking our coach is likely back again next year.
That’s on Mitch. If you really wanted to compete in baseball this wouldn’t be acceptable. Obviously bottom 3-4 every year is okay. This is coming from a person who thinks Mitch has improved the athletic department as a whole by 100%.

I’m sorry to laugh.

Well, looks like we’re stuck with Mingione for another year. Can’t wait to we go to the last game next season wondering if we’re going to make the SEC tournament or not.

Hard to argue with this. I don't see a reason to be overly optimistic about 2023.

Reactions: SeanCain
I agree with all your points. I think the point the D1 guys were trying to make was the last coaching search, Kentucky casted a wide net only to be told no. Now, I will argue that the program has more to offer now then it did in 2016.

But as far as your other points, you’re spot on.
I think UK football cast a wide net in 2002 when nobody wanted the job with our support but Brooks saved us the embarrassment of not having a coach. But when Joker took over we had TWO four stars that played------in the SEC. Then the MISERABLE support caught up with us causing TWO two win seasons. Then Stoops saw the potential with the fans on strike and the SEC throwing money from FOOTBALL around like confetti. Stoops started with the same two wins with a lot of added talent. The rest is history.

I don't have much criticism of Barnhart other than he is sometimes, IMO, a bit slow to make changes. I think at times he has tried to hit monster deals with certain coaches or upgrades and they have failed or fallen through, but I don't fault him for trying. As we discussed, he swung for the fences last time we tried to hire a baseball coach. To hear tell, he offered to make Cohen a top paid baseball coach prior to Cohen going home to Miss State. So, I don't think he is afraid to open the checkbook.

I'll also say that it is much easier to convince investors to get on board when the product is good. Tennessee struggled to upgrade their field for years... then last year happened and boom... money comes rolling in. So, I think Barnhart has done well, and I think some of the frustration with him is even a product of our programs being so far behind to begin with.
He has had 20 years to make a difference, so far only football of the major sports has shown big progress------with SEC football throwing money at us.

He has had 20 years to make a difference, so far only football of the major sports has shown big progress------with SEC football throwing money at us.

What are we considering 'major sports?'

We already admit football is much better. Regardless of the reason, it is much better. Everyone got that SEC money and yet we've progressed more than almost anyone.

Basketball won a national title. We are struggling right now and it might be time for another change, but you can't really fault him all that much for Calipari becoming complacent.

Baseball is another maybe? He brought in Cohen and helped make at least something out of UK baseball. We've been spinning our wheels for a while, but I don't think that is for a lack of trying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT