ADVERTISEMENT

Assistants Update

So, we got sold lies?

Uconn seems to be doing pretty good at it. They’re making it to the pros but appear to be giving their all for Uconn first.
Like I said winning = playing for the front of the jersey. You just made that very clear by using UCONN as the example.

Reactions: KFuqua
Like I said winning = playing for the front of the jersey. You just made that very clear by using UCONN as the example.
Just judging by the like 5 posts I have seen you make you seem lost. If you are wanting guys that only care about playing for UK we will end up with in state players that don't even have a chance of D3 basketball. You need guys like Hart that have pipelines and connect with talented players.

This isn't 1996 where guys only care about prestige of the school, they want a mixture of that, NIL, coaching, winning, some have NBA dreams whether it be 1nD or multiple years, newsflash, All of the top ranked recruits coming out of HS each year have dreams of making it to the NBA one day.
Yeah man good luck finding anybody talented that puts everything in their life second to Kentucky basketball Lmao. Even a legends son is going pro.
You are, playing for the front of the jersey just means wanting to win in the end. If you can’t also want NIL and have dreams of making it to the NBA along with that then UK will never win anything of significance.
So, all you're saying is Mark Pope lied and kids really don't give a shit about the team they are playing for so long as they get NIL and money and get to the next level as fast as possible?

Funny....I thought that was a chief complaint among Cal coached teams.

Okay, so the Fox hire seems like a friend/favor hire. Which is a similar issue we had with Cal.

The Hart hire is a lot more intriguing, but someone who coached Ignite doesn't seem like the kind of guy with connections to the KY first type of players. He seems more like a guy that would be connected to those looking to get NIL money and into the league. Again, an issue we already had under Cal.

This isn't exactly off to the start I had envisioned Sunday afternoon.

Hopefully at least one of the the other names has better connections to recruiting circles and UK.
Hart is a big name in recruiting circles. Aaron Torres has raved over him for the past couple yrs.

Mark Fox shouldn't be within 200 miles of Lexington Kentucky. Lol. Wtf
You are either trying to go down in flames or one of the Calipari daughters.
Good ****ing god. Reed was gone no matter what. Give up on that one.
Anyone who didn't see this coming as soon as he cracked the lottery projections was burying their heads in the sand.

So, all you're saying is Mark Pope lied and kids really don't give a shit about the team they are playing for so long as they get NIL and money and get to the next level as fast as possible?

Funny....I thought that was a chief complaint among Cal coached teams.
I’m saying those things aren’t mutually exclusive. Your comprehension isn’t great.

Reactions: Boyd94
I’m saying those things aren’t mutually exclusive. Your comprehension isn’t great.
But you're actually saying they are. I just want them to make UK the first priority while they are here, and you're saying they will only come if we let them care about UK, NIl and the NBA simultaneously.

Uconn players weren't even strong draft contenders when they went there. Those guys cared about winning for Uconn and let the rest take care of itself.

The only other person who posted here that this was disrespectful to other people’s religious beliefs was crashtestdummy. Funny enough when I tried to tag him nothing popped up but I did only go to the “h.”

I like every pick except for Mark Fox. I don’t like buddy hires. I get the history, but I don’t like it. It’d be different if his friend needed help and he was getting a smaller role. I don’t know how much help he needs or if he needs any and he’s getting one of 3 positions tied for second biggest on the team.

Hopefully if one of his assistants isn’t pull their weight, and the team suffers for it, Pope will do what needs to be done.

The only other person who posted here that this was disrespectful to other people’s religious beliefs was crashtestdummy. Funny enough when I tried to tag him nothing popped up but I did only go to the “h.”

I like every pick except for Mark Fox. I don’t like buddy hires. I get the history, but I don’t like it. It’d be different if his friend needed help and he was getting a smaller role. I don’t know how much help he needs or if he needs any and he’s getting one of 3 positions tied for second biggest on the team.

Hopefully if one of his assistants isn’t pull their weight, and the team suffers for it, Pope will do what needs to be done.

Fox isn’t an assistant. He’s going to be the director of NIL which was TJ Beisners position on Cals staff 2 years ago before going to UNC for the same role. Fox isnt doing any coaching or recruiting at all.

Reactions: flacat22

Mark Fox is the least to worry about. Bright and energetic. Look what he has done in and out of coaching.

Fox isn’t an assistant. He’s going to be the director of NIL which was TJ Beisners position on Cals staff 2 years ago before going to UNC for the same role. Fox isnt doing any coaching or recruiting at all.
I’d be ok with that, if he experience in that sort of role. You can understand the confusion, in a thread titled as such and names these 3 leads one to the conclusion that those 3 are getting the 3 official assistant roles.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Pope isn’t giving out thank you hires.

If he is hiring Fox - it’s because he brings something of value.
I could be wrong, but it seems like this hire is going to be more of a TJ Beisner role than a Bruiser Flint role - but I'm sure Kyle Tucker has far better connections than me, so I could be wrong.

But most recently he was at Georgetown University with the men's basketball program as the Director of Student-Athlete Relations. If hired in a similar/GM type role - which has been alluded previously - seems more like what he was doing at Georgetown and less like what Bruiser was doing here

I put her on ignore yesterday. Man A LOT of the Liberals loved Cal and hate the new religious coach. Sickos IMO.
How do you know the party affiliation of posters and their religious beliefs? That's the problem, people want to categorize anyone who doesn't agree with them. Don't judge left ye be judged

Reactions: smac99
blues, lp, and jer are they all brothers?? they seem like similar people. Also, rock seems like the dad of the 3. the negative version of the brady bunch. Negative people who seem like they love cal more than the program and don't have enough patience to let things form.

blues, lp, and jer are they all brothers?? they seem like similar people. Also, rock seems like the dad of the 3. the negative version of the brady bunch. Negative people who seem like they love cal more than the program and don't have enough patience to let things form.
Never address the topic, just deflect. What does telling the truth about Mark Fox have to with Cal? Keep making excuses to make yourself feel better and I’ll keep telling the truth. Mark Fox has been an awful coach and this is a buddy hire.

I guess if I think being at UGA for 9 years with 3 losing seasons, a losing SEC record, 2 NCAA appearances with no wins, followed by 4 horrific losing seasons in a row isn’t good to great I’m a troll. I’m not a Kentucky fan who thinks that we can do better, just a negative troll.

Last edited:
Never address the topic, just deflect. What does telling the truth about Mark Fox have to with Cal? Keep making excuses to make yourself feel better and I’ll keep telling the truth. Mark Fox has been an awful coach and this is a buddy hire.
Mark Fox was a horrible coach in one place Cal. He was a good to great coach for Nevada and Georgia. Made the tournament in both places more than once. You aren't very bright. We aren't hiring him to be head coach nor a recruiter. Thats why I guess there is a block button on here because people aren't that bright.

Mods, the posters less than two months old are fighting.
Mario Bava Fighting GIF by Arrow Video

FWIW Mark DID say he wanted the burger boys too in ADDITION to longer term players
But instead of a team full of them he will add a couple impacts every year
He does understand the OAD. Difference is he’s looking for the continuity with other players as well

I did look at what he’s done and it’s been awful. What are you seeing that we’re missing?
He’s not going to be coaching and has some experience in a similar role at Georgetown. He might even be a buddy hire, but he’s someone Pope can trust.

As a head though coach it would be hard to say who is better/worse between Orlando, Payne, and Fox. I would rate them Fox, then Orlando, then Payne.

But you're actually saying they are. I just want them to make UK the first priority while they are here, and you're saying they will only come if we let them care about UK, NIl and the NBA simultaneously.

Uconn players weren't even strong draft contenders when they went there. Those guys cared about winning for Uconn and let the rest take care of itself.
No I’m saying that you are stuck in a mindset that was only the case years ago. College basketball players at the high level aren’t here Only to win and get a degree, they want to secure money for them and their families and also win. Those things can happen together. Like I said the only players that would play only for UK and not care about anything else are people that grew up UK fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT