ADVERTISEMENT

Two lazy assistants

wccat2969

Junior
Apr 8, 2009
Matt Jones and others on the show this morning mentioned two assistants that were just cashing a paycheck and not doing anything. They said it was well known throughout the department and university. I would suspect one is Bruiser so who would be the other? What does Chuck Martin do?

Guess Cal has been coasting too.

season 1 episode 102 GIF by BBC

Matt Jones and others on the show this morning mentioned two assistants that were just cashing a paycheck and not doing anything. They said it was well known throughout the department and university. I would suspect one is Bruiser so who would be the other? What does Chuck Martin do?

Kinda suggested one was downtown drinking,eating or whatever while NONE made it to games on Sat at the S16

I have not seen Bruiser do anything on the bench but sit there with a scowl on his face. He is useless.
Not taking up for Bruiser, and could be wrong about this, but I don't think he's technically an assistant coach, and so his on-court responsibilities are limited (not that it seems to matter when you consider with Ulis does). I do think Bruiser is eating up a valuable position, but who is to say that Cal would listen to anyone that filled that spot.

Not taking up for Bruiser, and could be wrong about this, but I don't think he's technically an assistant coach, and so his on-court responsibilities are limited (not that it seems to matter when you consider with Ulis does). I do think Bruiser is eating up a valuable position, but who is to say that Cal would listen to anyone that filled that spot.
That is my concern if Mitch were to say you MUST replace a couple of assistant coaches. Who cares if Cal isn't going to listen and we know he won't. He's Cal.

Unfortunately, they are your hires Cal.

No one says you have to do every single aspect of coaching. So go out there and get the right guys who may have some better ways of doing things than you.

Bruiser has to be one. But the others seem to be contributing in some ways. Chuck Martin got us Big Z, Chin and Antigua are proven recruiters. Welch obviously has made an instant impact.

Don’t want to speculate on the other one after Bruiser but Cal needs someone who can check his ass like Robic back in the day. Too many yes-men on the bench and look where it’s gotten us with end of year results.

Drew made a comment about one of them, insinuating they were out drinking instead of watching Travis Perry and the kid from Great Crossing at the S16.
because like the clown of a coach, they have no interest in the local kids. If Reed hadn't been such a surprise, he would have been at the end of the bench next to the water cooler. Thank goodness that he had good coaching from both of his parents growing up, learning fundamentals, team concept and what basketball is about. I think the Perry kid has some of the same qualities, and hopefully will get a chance to play

I see we are already working hard to get excuses in place so anyone takes the blame other than Calipari. Dude rotates assistant coaches more frequently than most people get new shoes.
The prop spin is in full effect online. I've been called a "bad fan" for wanting to move on from Cal. lol....a "bad fan" who's been a UK fan since I knew what sports was- A third generation "bad fan".

Cultists. Gotta love 'em

One is Brusier Flint, the other is Chin Coleman. Look for Chin to be let go and Brusier will be moved to an administrative position. Tyler ulis promoted to asst and TA DA Kenny Payne back to coach the bigs
Bruiser should be shown the door, he doesn’t need to he associated with the program. Ulis and Welch are the only ones I think are worth their salt. Let them draw up all plays, if they are all around next year.

Not sure how we know what assistance do or don’t do. I guess some services show who a lead recruiter was in a given player. Otherwise what are we basing this on?

If I were a coach on this staff, the last thing I would do is be out in downtown Lexington unless I was watching ball at the Sweet 16

Reactions: bbncal02
The prop spin is in full effect online. I've been called a "bad fan" for wanting to move on from Cal. lol....a "bad fan" who's been a UK fan since I knew what sports was- A third generation "bad fan".

Cultists. Gotta love 'em
Said I wasn't supporting UK until Cal was gone on twitter. Got hit with a ''GREAT FAN YOU ARE!'' Lol, fanbase is a joke sometimes.

From what I understand Chin does our scouting and defensive gameplans. If true he has to go. Look at our defensive numbers since he's been here.
Well that might explain a lot. Just a mess from top to bottom. I really feel for the players who have had to try and do it on their own- doesn’t sound like they get much coaching.

Obviously bruiser is the first. Is ulis the second? I don't think he's an actual assistant though. Weren't there rumors of Chin leaving last year because of a rift? I know he was tied to Reeves. So maybe he's done?

None of it matters unless cal changes his attitude because that's the real problem. I wouldn't be surprised to see Welch leave because he was obviously shut out at times when we'd see cal have dj run the old cal offense.

I would say he needs to hire a defensive coach but that was supposed to be him. If he needs both an offensive and defensive guy - what's he doing besides being a face?

Obviously bruiser is the first. Is ulis the second? I don't think he's an actual assistant though. Weren't there rumors of Chin leaving last year because of a rift? I know he was tied to Reeves. So maybe he's done?

None of it matters unless cal changes his attitude because that's the real problem. I wouldn't be surprised to see Welch leave because he was obviously shut out at times when we'd see cal have dj run the old cal offense.

I would say he needs to hire a defensive coach but that was supposed to be him. If he needs both an offensive and defensive guy - what's he doing besides being a face?
This is basically my take. But I think he was always just a face. Robic coached and did game prep, KP did player development with the bigs, and Strickland coached the guards. Idk, I think the dude has always been a massive fraud.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT