ADVERTISEMENT

Apple Watch

dgtatu01

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2005
Across The River
Anyone get one yet or seen one out in the wild? I think the reception of this product could really show how strong the future of Apple really is. Can they still make great new products and grow their brand, or have they seen their peak innovation days and will simply become more of a commodity type product in the future?

I think the future of the company is pretty strong regardless of what the watch does. The phone is still going to be their dominant product unless they really do decide to get into the car game. Still plenty of room for the phone to grow also.

I'm not sure about that. I don't like the future of the phone market since the cell carriers have basically stopped subsidizing the phones. I think all phones are moving down the road to commodity.

Not sure how the watch does. Taking a wait and see approach. I know the small battery life is a big issue for me right now. I would like the watch for the health features instead of getting a basic Fitbit, but when the battery only lasts for 16-17 hours a day, not real interested right now. The other features of the watch are not a real draw to me.

Apple like anyone else in the tech market will have to keep innovating to stay ahead of the pack. They can continue to stay stable with the iPhone, but eventually they will need to innovate something totally new. Just not sure yet if the Apple Watch is that innovation.

I'm not sure about that. I don't like the future of the phone market since the cell carriers have basically stopped subsidizing the phones. I think all phones are moving down the road to commodity.
We'll see. They've been cutting back for a year or so I believe. Apple sold almost 75 million phones in the quarter that ended in December. That was a record. They are going to sell about 60 million this quarter which would blow away estimates. And the Chinese market is just getting started.

61.2 million phones which blew away any previous March quarter. They didn't give any guidance on the watch but said that customer reactions have been great thus far.

They now have two quarters where there are major holidays. And still only 17% of the phone market. Still plenty of room to grow IMO.

And don't forget a possible venture into the cable market and a car!

This will kill in the future. Probably be government mandated. Wearable tech/computers is just more data.

People will buy anything apple sells, regardless of how useless yet expensive it may be. The apple watch is the perfect example.

The next version will probably be great, but I would suggest steering clear of this one. I haven't read one review yet that didn't point out serious flaws but then followed that with a lot if talk about potential. Personally I would hang on to my $350+ until more of that potential is realized. For example, the reviewer from the New York Times talked about how much he enjoyed the watch, but only after spending three whole days figuring out how to use it. If it takes a person who writes about tech three days to figure this thing out, then the learning curve for the average person must be enormous.

Dork trinket. If the Apple Watch had an app that delivered electro stimulus to my weiner, I'd consider this thing useful. Until then, pass.

Reactions: Mashburned
I see that the watch doesn't work so well with people with tattoos around their wrist, which is probably half of Apple's consumer base. How will they ever know when its time to stand up?

Until a few weeks ago, I wasn't able to comment on the Apple Watch because I never owned one. But then two week ago I had to attend a training session for work. We did a case study competition on manufacturing. The winning team all received Apple Watches. There were only four teams too so the odds were pretty good. Long story short - I am still unable to comment on how good the Apple Watch is.

Reactions: Rockford
Apple is a fantastic company, but they are in the Consumer Products business. If history has taught us anything, it's that likes and dislikes of customers are subject to change - and often very quickly.

As for the Apple car - that sort of a thing is a joke to me. Yeah - maybe they can throw a zillion dollars at it. But what the hell do they know about building a car, working with automotive suppliers, etc? Further, there are already status symbol cars out there - something that really wasn't there in cell phones. As a stock holder, I'd be somewhat pissed if they went into this business. Now building the interfaces to the controls, that's a different story.

As a stockholder I'll be somewhat pissed if they don't at least throw out a car design in the future. The price would double on that alone with the irrational exuberance of the market.

Apple is a fantastic company, but they are in the Consumer Products business. If history has taught us anything, it's that likes and dislikes of customers are subject to change - and often very quickly.

History has also taught us that Apple customers are very loyal to the brand, especially the phones. People are always going to need a way to communicate and I'm not sure what if anything will replace the phone and computer. But until a company develops something that does then I think it is still blue skies ahead for Apple. I'm also betting that company will be Apple.

Have an Android Wear watch. Got it because it was reduced to like $75 at Christmas time. There are obviously differences between the two products, but the Wear watch is essentially the same product as the Apple Watch. The Apple Watch is not worth anywhere close to as much as they are charging unless it is drastically more functional than I have seen.

Next major release of the Apple Watch will likely be vastly superior and that's when you should buy it if you want it.

I have a 3 year old Nike fuel band that still makes me feel like Marty Mcflys dumbass son so I'll save my $350+ for groceries and insurance, etc

I crossed over to Apple when the iPad2 came out. I then bought the iMac and then the iPhones. Personally, I just think Apple's products are far superior to the rest, Had a PC that crashed all of the time. Have not had one single issue with my iMac. No issues with the phones or iPads. Call me a fanboy, but I just think Apple has more reliable products right now. As for the Watch, as I said in an earlier post, wait and see approach. So far, not sure it has taken off the way Apple hoped but its early.

As for the Watch, as I said in an earlier post, wait and see approach. So far, not sure it has taken off the way Apple hoped but its early.
In the first two weeks, they have sold an estimated 3 million watches for 2 billion in revenue, which would make it their most profitable product to date.

I bet they are somewhat pleased.

In the first two weeks, they have sold an estimated 3 million watches for 2 billion in revenue, which would make it their most profitable product to date.

I bet they are somewhat pleased.

Admittedly, I have not kept up with the numbers. Have read some reviews and tech nerds have said it takes a while to learn how to use. Good info on the $ figures. Looks promising for Apple. Still think its a better bet to wait for the second generation so they hopefully get a lot more out of the battery life plus some other tweaks.

You sound like 1996's coolest guy in the room discussing a StarTac.

This was me in 2004 with Facebook. "What's the point? What a dumbass website!" Then again around 2007 with the iPhone. "What's the point? I just need a phone to call and text!"

Never again. I just keep my mouth shut and see how the practicality/popularity develops.

I wish Apple would hurry up and start producing cars (yes, this is a real project) to help me more easily identify the sheep (sheeple?).
I'm ready for it now even though I won't buy one. Don't care about the sheep either. Btw, tons of sheeple in China.

This was me in 2004 with Facebook. "What's the point? What a dumbass website!" Then again around 2007 with the iPhone. "What's the point? I just need a phone to call and text!"

Never again. I just keep my mouth shut and see how the practicality/popularity develops.

So you wait and see what's popular and then go with that one and you ended up with an iphone. Surprising really.

I kid, I kid.

Still, the watch is a fanboy pos and one of its major marketing pitches is to help you stay in shape. Unless its electrocutes the wearer when they reach for junk food, its useless. If every other fitness option or lifestyle change has failed you then dont hold your breath on a watch being the thing that makes everything better. Of course you can also read tiny text that someone sent you or check out a tiny map. All of which you have a bigger version of in your pocket already. But, but for a few hundred bucks I no longer have to go through the trouble of reaching in my pocket. On second thought, get the watch, you lazy MF'ers.

I crossed over to Apple when the iPad2 came out. I then bought the iMac and then the iPhones. Personally, I just think Apple's products are far superior to the rest, Had a PC that crashed all of the time. Have not had one single issue with my iMac. No issues with the phones or iPads. Call me a fanboy, but I just think Apple has more reliable products right now. As for the Watch, as I said in an earlier post, wait and see approach. So far, not sure it has taken off the way Apple hoped but its early.

This. Apple products cost more, but you get what you pay for.

I was actually reluctant to make the switch and even made fun of Apple "fan boys". But now I guess I am one myself. I swore that i'd never pay so much money for a Macbook, but I got tired of every laptop I owned being unreliable. I finally broke down and bought one and now I wouldn't trade my Macbook for 5 PC laptops. Same deal with iPhone. I dropped my iPhone 5 in the toilet and had to borrow a Motorola Droid from a friend until I was eligible for an upgrade. I touching hated it.

I was a proud iPhone 1.0 guy. I took my exuberance and bought a souped-up iMac. Expensive and beautiful, it lured me in.

The iMac is an underpowered, unadaptable, u expandable, pinwheel spinning piece of shit. TS.

Thereby, I can see where Apple can make mistakes and folks will run to their defense.

I type this on my iPhone 6+... And it only took Apple 5 years, to realize a market segment mistake and start to produce/compete with a product similar in size to the Note.

That said, the Watch is an optional bauble for dorks who will defend when Apple they produce the next iTurd. Doesn't take a 'genius' (by appointment only) to figure this out.

I'm really surprised that battery technology has not advanced that much in the last ten years. Seems to me that the next big frontier - a type of battery life that will last a week or two on one full charge. Whoever the hell comes up with that one will be a billion dollar company. Curious if Apple or some other company will get in the battery business anytime soon.

This. Apple products cost more, but you get what you pay for.

I was actually reluctant to make the switch and even made fun of Apple "fan boys". But now I guess I am one myself. I swore that i'd never pay so much money for a Macbook, but I got tired of every laptop I owned being unreliable. I finally broke down and bought one and now I wouldn't trade my Macbook for 5 PC laptops. Same deal with iPhone. I dropped my iPhone 5 in the toilet and had to borrow a Motorola Droid from a friend until I was eligible for an upgrade. I touching hated it.

They cost more and you get about 50% of what you pay for. I own a lot of Apple stuff, a lot of Android stuff, and a lot of Microsoft stuff. Some of each are complete turds. Apple things break all the time. So do PCs and Droids. Apple's design quality is great most of the time. Moto, HTC, and Samsung make some great things too. The difference with Apple is that their profit margins are ridiculous. They really have fooled people on the value equation.

I DO give Apple props on their ability to omit features so that the phone is super simple to operate -without people complaining about the missing features. They have lagged everyone else in features because they wait until they find a way to make it simple for the tech-challenged to use.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT