ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Davis being offered big deal by Pelicans

Like I said here, I would take it BUT I would sell my demands first. Davis should get some guarantees. There's no difference in 100 million and 140 million. At that point it's just about a bigger yacht. I'd rather have less and win a championship. If you're not like that, then you value money over all. Just an opinion difference.

Not that he has to take less because I'm sure there would be a lost of suitors offering even more. I'm just saying, get those demands out there AD. you will always have money, but money will not buy history, glory, and championshis.

There's a huge difference in that kind of deal if he wanted to save the state tax on his earned income. I mean, if you're in Louisiana, you're paying state tax. Texas, Utah and Florida teams would be his best options. If he decides a Texas team is best, then he saves money vs other Texas teams on the road. Its also proven championships have been won in Texas.

And, don't get married because then you're out 50% of your income out of the gate.....unless you pre-nup.
I'm heading to Texas if I have my choice of locations and its in the best interest of my long, long term future. I'd be the replacement for Tim Duncan and play with Kawhai Leonard. That's 2017 type talk of course.
I think I'd ask New Orleans if they want to give me a 2 year, get out of jail free card. AD has that kind of power play now.

I know what point you're trying to make, but say that out loud.

You absolutely never turn down $40 million at age 22. Get paid now, then go get paid again at age 27 and spend the last 8-9 years of your career picking which contender you want to put over the top. It's too damn random and difficult to win a title, much less several, to risk $40 million on it.

Besides, they've improved every year he's been there, and as he develops as a player who could fit alongside anyone else, in a city like New Orleans, they could make a run in the next 3-4 years. I don't think it's highly likely, but what situation is guaranteed to be better for the next 5 years? Too many question marks. Ask the Thunder.

Even if he piggy backs a title at the end, it never hurt Garnett or other greats like that. With the career arc he's on, no one will hold it against him for not winning a ring until his late 20's. That's when Jordan and LeBron and others finally got their hardware. With so many variables, if your constant is $140 million, that's the equation you take.

It's not that I disagree with this. I also don't know the current structure with other franchises and what they'd be willing to do, but I guess that would be down the road anyway. I was just saying if it were to come down to a little less and championships, or a few million more and a dead city, I'd take less. But it might not be a very good option. I get it.

With endorsements/shoe deals AD could take less anyway and still be so filthy he never notices the gap. But I wouldn't just turn it down,I would however have a list of demands, starting with personnel choices. That really my big thought here. Don't take it unless they are willing to put players around you.

The part I think some of you are missing is that New Orleans, and only New Orleans can offer him a deal this summer.

Signing it means setting his family up for generations. Not signing means risking it all if he gets injured.

We aren't talking about the difference between $140 million and $100 million. We are talking about the possible difference between $140 million and little to nothing.

Even if he waits a year, New Orleans can match any offer any team makes in the summer of 2016. Which they of course would, as long as he's healthy.

So he wouldn't be able to pick his destination until 2 years from now. That's when we would be talking about the difference between $140 million and $100 million or whatever.

So the only logical move is to take the money. If things aren't working out in New Orleans down the road, for any reason, then you demand a trade, or leave as a Free Agent in your late 20s.

So far, New Orleans has gone from worst in the league to playoffs. Got to believe they will try their best to surround AD with winning talent. They've been trying already, with some moves working better than others.

Don't take it. Do a 2 year deal with a 1 year opt out. Salary cap is rising in 2016 so max contracts will as well.

Don't take it. Do a 2 year deal with a 1 year opt out. Salary cap is rising in 2016 so max contracts will as well.

OK, seriously. For like the 4th time in this thread...what you say is wrong.

The extension will be for 30% of the max - whatever that max is. It will be the largest possible contract that anyone can give AD. Not signing it puts him at great risk, with the only benefit being that he could leave New Orleans in 2 years if he wants to.

Not even close to worth the risk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT