ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Davis being offered big deal by Pelicans

I think he should take it. I hope he can make ends meet with that.

$140 mil may seem like a lot now anthony but you better think about your needs five years from now.

I don't think the Pels can put a team together that can win it all. It's a lot of money, but he has to decide if he wants the bucks or a championship. If the Pelicans pay AD that much, can they afford the other talent to win? A few of the big markets can offer the pay and the other players as well. I think AD will sign though as he seems to like it there.

Please don't take it, get some hardware son. He will make hundreds of millions o matter where he plays. To win MVP you usually need to be on a good team and if he wins championships .. both of those helps UK.

I hate to see great players waste away the best years of their careers on a losing team.

If it were me i'd take less money for a shot at winning championships. But maybe that's easy for me to say because nobody is throwing $140 million at me.

Do you really see the Pelicans putting together a long term winning team?

That's not the coach's fault, that's on the GM. I think they can get better talent but not another elite superstar. So long-term winning team? Yes, they will be in the playoffs every year from here on.

They are in the west and made the playoffs with AD and a bunch of scrubs, he's done a great job.

Salary cap will be going up dramatically in the next five years. They can definitely put a contending team around him. Hell, they made the playoffs with only one superstar. If they can flip Holiday and Gordon for real players they'll be making noise in no time.

I think he should take it. I hope he can make ends meet with that.

I would only take it if I received some control over the roster ala James/Bryant. Know who you are. You are going to be the face of the NBA. Don't take it unless you know they will build around you.

I hate to see great players waste away the best years of their careers on a losing team.

The Pelicans were in the playoffs with a winning record.

They have made some questionable trades (Noel AND a draft pick for Holiday; Asik for a 1st rounder) and draft selections (Austin Rivers) since drafting Davis. They also only have 1 draft pick in 2015, and it is a low second rounder.

If they can salvage some value out of Gordon and Holiday, then they can definitely get better. This is the draft to get some decent talent. I would love to see Devin Booker and Davis on the Pelicans. Dakari Johnson, if he continues to develop, could also be a very interesting complement to Davis.

There are people saying he should turn down $140 million and I suddenly understand how we have so many fans mad at players for going pro.

That said, wouldn't hurt my feelings to see him use his leverage and make that fifth year a player option. When the salary cap increases, the elite tier of guys will be topping $30 million a year. That salary they're offering won't be much higher than what he can command elsewhere in about a year's time.

You're still certifiably insane to turn down $140 million though.

Reactions: gossie21
If I'm Davis, I slim the deal down and say "Let me make the decisions on who I want to play around me".
Because Monte Williams & co. does not have a da*n clue.

Reactions: brianpoe
Warning: this gets really long. But I think it's a decent evaluation that might benefit some of you guys that didn't see the Pelicans play more than 5 or 6 times this year.

Let me give you a little background first, then I'll explain where I stand on all this. I lived in New Orleans for the past three years, and moved to Jackson, MS in January (hence my "local perspectives on Newman recently). During the past 3 seasons, I've been to approximately 50-60 Pelicans games, and was able to watch the others on TV since they're the local team. I've honestly grown to be a big Pelicans fan rather than simply an Anthony Davis fan, so my takes will probably be a little different from most on this board with the "cheer for him only because he's a former Cat" mindset.

With that being said, here's my take on Davis, and what I'd like to see the Pelicans do from here out.

1. First and foremost, Davis absolutely has to take this deal. Simply put, if he leaves New Orleans, the franchise is done for the foreseeable future and the city may never embrace basketball. From Davis's standpoint, he can get paid much more by New Orleans than in free agency due to how NBA contracts are structured, so that gives the current team a little leverage. It's why Miami could offer Bosh more than anybody, New York could offer Carmelo more than anybody, and why in the end I think it's why he's in New Orleans for the near future.

2. Replace Monty with a skilled Xs and Os coach. Firing Monty will be a tough sell to the team, because the players absolutely love him. However, I think it's been really obvious to anybody that's watched more than a handful of Pelicans games over recent years that he isn't what this team needs from a bench coach. He consistently mismanages in-game situations, substitutions, etc and I think it's time to move on. Bring in a proven, respected coach that can win over the team and actually get them to perform and firing Monty is forgiven in the locker room.

3. Eliminate some bad contracts, namely Eric Gordon. Gordon has no trade value, but we have to find a way to get that contract off the books so we can make some moves. Right now there's no cap flexibility. I'm also not a big Asik fan, and Ajinca is a capable replacement already on the roster, so I think letting him walk would be a smart move. Jrue, Tyreke, and Ryan Anderson all bring value to the team, they just need to stay healthy.

4. Stop trading draft picks. We haven't added any young talent to the team since we drafted Davis, and that needs to change. Quit trading draft picks, maybe even aquire one from somebody else.

5. Find a SG that can create his own shot and a defensive C that can rebound, play physical, and enable Anthony to play help side defense. Gordon and Asik were supposed to fill those roles last year, but didn't do a great job and were severely overpaid. Plus, Gordon is terrible defensively. A comparable C can be found for much cheaper, and that allows us to grab a dynamic guard that can score and defend. I honestly don't know who's on the market this year so I can't suggest alternatives, but I feel like it's time to move on from Gordon and Asik.

6. Improve defensively. Monty was supposed to be a defensive mastermind of a coach, but we constantly underachieved on the defensive end and ranked in the bottom half of the league. Part of that is because of personnel. Any team that has Gordon, Evans, and Anderson on the court at the same time isn't going to guard. But even Anthony struggled defensively at times this year. He blocks shots and makes flashy plays, but was sometimes slow in rotation and hesitant to challenge shots at the rim for fear of getting in foul trouble. We also gave up tons of offensive rebounds, as you saw in the playoffs. This all needs to change.

So there's my not-so-concise analysis of the New Orleans Pelicans as not just a former UK player fan, but as an actual real life Pelicans fan.

He is not turning down $140M for nothing, geez he will get big bucks wherever he goes. If he can get an MVP and some championships his endorsements will continue to skyrocket. I would like to see him get with an organization dedicated to winning. Playoffs are great but they are not a contender.

Maybe NO will turn it around, I just hope AD gets the opportunity to really contend for a title. He will be more than fine financially no matter what team he plays for.

Reactions: Anthony B
New Orleans needs to follow Cleveland's lead. Same exact scenario as to when LeBron got to that franchise the first time around, and what they are now.

New Orleans needs to follow Cleveland's lead. Same exact scenario as to when LeBron got to that franchise the first time around, and what they are now.
???? What is Cleveland's lead? Let AD walk, suck for 4 years, get 3 #1 overall draft picks, and then trade 2 of those picks for a superstar and sign AD in the offseason 4 years from now? I don't understand what the Cleveland lead is?

???? What is Cleveland's lead? Let AD walk, suck for 4 years, get 3 #1 overall draft picks, and then trade 2 of those picks for a superstar and sign AD in the offseason 4 years from now? I don't understand what the Cleveland lead is?

May be their best bet. Right now they're good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to do anything with it, and that's with a superstar carrying the load for you.

May be their best bet. Right now they're good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to do anything with it, and that's with a superstar carrying the load for you.
Yeah, but those two situations aren't really similar. AD will never go back to NO once he leaves. The only reason LeBron went back is because he's from the Cleveland area. Also, there is no guarantee NO gets 3 #1 overall draft picks because of the lottery.

They'd be better off trading away everyone else but AD that has value and try to build trough the draft with a couple high draft picks to pair with AD.

something to consider, too - how many times, and how much time, has AD missed due to injury? I am worried for him for that - perhaps he should take this deal hope for the best after?

obviously, I don't know diddly about pro ball.

Don't take it. Salary cap is projected to go up significantly next summer. No free agent worth a damn should take anything longer than a one-year contract this summer unless someone is way overpaying.

ADVERTISEMENT