ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Davis being offered big deal by Pelicans

I do agree that NO is in a tough spot. Their team isn't good enough to have a chance at winning the title, and you can't really blow everything up and start from scratch. Their only chance is to make some smart trades with the pieces they have, and hope to get lucky in the draft. I don't see that happening with their current leadership.

Gonzo ... I feel sooo much better, now that I checked to see what you have written before writing my own post.

LIKE GONZO SAID ... anybody who would turn down $140 million over 5 years is certifiably insane ! !

And like another poster said ... contracts are renegotiated so frequently these days that this contract may be superseded in 2-3 years.

Take the security, A.D. Then worry about anything else you want out of your career after you've got that $140 million nailed down.

I can understand the argument of holding out for an opportunity on a better team with a chance to win a championship, but I would still take the 140 million. That is just too much guaranteed money to turn down, and NOLA is a great city.

Don't take it sign as a free agent with a team that can win it all.
Rookie contracts are 2 year guaranteed, year 3 and 4 team option , and year 5 restricted free agency. AD is in year 3 and NO would match any offer , the only chance AD has off leaving NO would be to play there the next 2 years at a major discount then become an unrestricted free agent, but he WILL be in NO At least the next2 seasons and there's nothing he can do about it. He will sign the deal and will qualify for the Rose exception, which takes him from 25% of the cap to 30%, he's not a fool.
Don't take it Davis!!!

Yeah, he's stuck there for another few years, regardless of what he does. That's why people say draft picks are so valuable. If you are smart, you have that player for the better part of a decade.

New Orleans is a young team and with him as the franchise is not impossible for them to build a contender.

You know who is insane? The Benson family that owns the team. It's unlikely that the owners can develop and implement a strategy that makes the Pelicans a championship contender.

The reason i said don't take the offer is because he can get much bigger one in couple years. I say he sign for next 1-2 years and then sign a HUGE contract next year or year after.

What's ironic is that him making 28 million is very underpaid if the new cap space is expected to reach above 100 million.

Take care of his body, and then make the MONEY. When you are putting up numbers that only being compared to Wilt, B McAdoo and other all time greats...you are damn good. He needs to get paid like one.

Even if he makes 35 million per year, with the insane max cap, he can get enough great supporting players.

I don't think the Pels can put a team together that can win it all. It's a lot of money, but he has to decide if he wants the bucks or a championship. If the Pelicans pay AD that much, can they afford the other talent to win? A few of the big markets can offer the pay and the other players as well. I think AD will sign though as he seems to like it there.
Hey, a championship would be great but I`ve worked for 40 years now without one. And for a little less than Anthony will make in 5. Take the money and don`t look back.

Set to offer 5 year deal worth 140 million

WOW!!!

Onebilliondollarcloseup.jpg

The $140 million deal is based on the new projected salary cap. It's also based on Davis being eligible to earn up to 30% of the cap as both an All Star selection, and a 1st team All NBA player.

He can't get more money elsewhere. Not close, not yet. He would be foolish to turn it down, and he won't.

If for some reason things soured in New Orleans, every team in the league would move mountains to trade for a healthy AD 3-4 years from now. There is no good logical reason for him to turn down every cent they want to hand him.

To the people saying take less...that is nuts. The cap will rise, and every team will have more money to play with in the near future. Think maybe some other players might want to come play with the best big man in the league?

Have to take it. Anyone arguing he should not don't have Anthony's best interests at heart. Once this deal runs out consider other options

Again, just so we're all clear, you all realize it's ONE HUNDRED FORTY MILLION DOLLARS, right?

That's $140,000,000. At age 22. I don't care if they want you to eat pine cones and nails for every meal.

Reactions: jedwar
There's not one person here who would turn down that deal...but does that team have a good foundation?

But this organization has given up Chris Paul and Nerlens and way overpaid to keep Eric Gordon. The GM has kept his job all along as well.

AD would be better served moving to a better city, since the max cap goes up the next 2 summers.

There's not one person here who would turn down that deal...but does that team have a good foundation?

But this organization has given up Chris Paul and Nerlens and way overpaid to keep Eric Gordon. The GM has kept his job all along as well.

AD would be better served moving to a better city, since the max cap goes up the next 2 summers.

Again, this $140 million number is based on the the cap rising and NO giving AD every cent possible under the new deal. He wouldn't be leaving money on the table.

Again, this $140 million number is based on the the cap rising and NO giving AD every cent possible under the new deal. He wouldn't be leaving money on the table.

Exactly, they're going to be able to give him 30% instead of 25% of the cap and an extra year. It always favors the current team in situations like this. He'd be crazy to pass on this, he'll be a unrestricted FA before 30 with this deal and if healthy will get another max deal then.

Can he take a 2-year max, then be an UFA? That's the route I'd take, I just don't believe the Pelicans are capable of putting a winner on the floor.

Reactions: KMKAT
Can he take a 2-year max, then be an UFA? That's the route I'd take, I just don't believe the Pelicans are capable of putting a winner on the floor.

In order to get a contract that pays 30% of the salary cap, he must sign a minimum 4 year extension.

He can take a one-year deal then go for the even huger max offer after that.

Wrong. He is already under contract for next year. We are talking about his extension. It won't get "huger" if he waits a year. The contract language will specify that he get 30% of the salary cap. Waiting a year to sign won't make him a penny, but it could cost him 9 figures if he gets hurt.

Wrong. He is already under contract for next year. We are talking about his extension. It won't get "huger" if he waits a year. The contract language will specify that he get 30% of the salary cap. Waiting a year to sign won't make him a penny, but it could cost him 9 figures if he gets hurt.
Ah. I thought he was a restricted FA this year then became an unrestricted FA next summer. If this offer doesn't kick in until the 2016-17 season then there isn't going to be a better total package on the table unless he wants to go to a better team.

I would only take it if I received some control over the roster ala James/Bryant. Know who you are. You are going to be the face of the NBA. Don't take it unless you know they will build around you.

Like I said here, I would take it BUT I would sell my demands first. Davis should get some guarantees. There's no difference in 100 million and 140 million. At that point it's just about a bigger yacht. I'd rather have less and win a championship. If you're not like that, then you value money over all. Just an opinion difference.

Not that he has to take less because I'm sure there would be a lost of suitors offering even more. I'm just saying, get those demands out there AD. you will always have money, but money will not buy history, glory, and championshis.

Doesn't the salary cap almost double in a year or two? He could probably hold out and get 160+ million playing for a decent team.

People don't read through the thread before they post apparently. You see the same incorrect thinking over and over again.

Reactions: UKcats1988
Ah. I thought he was a restricted FA this year then became an unrestricted FA next summer. If this offer doesn't kick in until the 2016-17 season then there isn't going to be a better total package on the table unless he wants to go to a better team.

He would be a restricted FA after his 4th year. Pelicans have the right to go ahead and extend him early.

There's no difference in 100 million and 140 million..

I know what point you're trying to make, but say that out loud.

You absolutely never turn down $40 million at age 22. Get paid now, then go get paid again at age 27 and spend the last 8-9 years of your career picking which contender you want to put over the top. It's too damn random and difficult to win a title, much less several, to risk $40 million on it.

Besides, they've improved every year he's been there, and as he develops as a player who could fit alongside anyone else, in a city like New Orleans, they could make a run in the next 3-4 years. I don't think it's highly likely, but what situation is guaranteed to be better for the next 5 years? Too many question marks. Ask the Thunder.

Even if he piggy backs a title at the end, it never hurt Garnett or other greats like that. With the career arc he's on, no one will hold it against him for not winning a ring until his late 20's. That's when Jordan and LeBron and others finally got their hardware. With so many variables, if your constant is $140 million, that's the equation you take.

He's stuck there for another few years regardless of what he does, and NO is capable of paying him more than anyone else can. Take the money as insurance, you'll become an unrestricted free agent in the middle of your prime, and then you can do whatever you want.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT