ADVERTISEMENT

There are several really good coaches...

Dec 12, 2023
that will work for $5 million/year and we offered 12.5 to one of them. There are others that might even be better. But until I see it myself, I can't believe Hurley is literally dumb enough, for any reason, to turn down a $100 million contract. Sorry, but that's nutz on our part and his, if true.

Tommy Lloyd would be my next call. Mark Pope would be a major failure. Bruce Pearl and Rick Pitino. Rick would be a great stop gap for 4 years
Me too. Lloyd is a great coach, young and has already won at the highest level. He IS and has been high on my list but we haven't been officially eliminated by my first choices yet either. I just won't believe Hurley is dumb enough to turn down $100 million until I know it was offered and that he rejected it. Sorry, but that's a special kind of stupid...for ANY reason. Still hoping we hear more from that but if not, I'm good with Lloyd. He's making roughly $6 mil/ yr on a new contract with a $12 million buyout. IMHO, he is not a risk but another homerun hire. If we want to take a chance on an up and comer....Lutz that just left WKU for Ok, St. Look him up!

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
Tommy Lloyd would be my next call. Mark Pope would be a major failure. Bruce Pearl and Rick Pitino. Rick would be a great stop gap for 4 years. Bruce would kill to be at UK and coaches his butt off
I agree. He has a passion that I love. His passion matches the fan base, and I think we would have incredible energy around the program.

Use the extra money on NIL.

Not sure why Otzelberger isn't in the search. Took an Iowa State team that won 2 games the year before, completely turned them around the next year, had a top 10 team this year, and has a top 5 team next year (and is in the middle of nowhere).
Image-4-11-24-at-7-19-PM.jpg

Not sure why Otzelberger isn't in the search. Took an Iowa State team that won 2 games the year before, completely turned them around the next year, had a top 10 team this year, and has a top 5 team next year (and is in the middle of nowhere).
Yep, he's on my short list too. He proved himself this season in a tough conference. He's an up and comer on a high level. Stupid me, had them picked for the final four.

Reactions: Taiza
Someone said he has a 15 million$ buyout

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
I've said I want pearl. And I've not said I wouldn't want rick back. Plus could be a grooming for Richard pitino to step in afterwards. And be the face of Kentucky. There's always more possibility's.

that will work for $5 million/year and we offered 12.5 to one of them. There are others that might even be better. But until I see it myself, I can't believe Hurley is literally dumb enough, for any reason, to turn down a $100 million contract. Sorry, but that's nutz on our part and his, if true.
Mitch and Hurley probably made an agreement beforehand. Mitch said, "I'm going to offer you a crazy deal and just say no to it. It'll give you leverage with your boss, and get the fans off my ass." Lol

Greg McDermott, Mike White, Lamont Paris, Brad Brownell...among others are all rising stars. No big splash among any of them yet but, a lot of the older, bigger names will be retiring in the next 5 years. But, Tubby Smith got the job and hadn't done much of anything either..
If you have to have someone with more experience, call Bruce Pearl or Sean Miller.

You're just gonna have to step up your game, especially so if Hurley rejected $100 million today. Now that's funny. Sorry, but your post pales to that. But, I shoulda known, too.
Can't win em all. Was just trying to lighten the mood on a disappointing day.

You're just gonna have to step up your game, especially so if Hurley rejected $100 million today. Now that's funny. Sorry, but your post pales to that. But, I shoulda known, too.
Just reading that it is incredibly hard to absorb. $100 million (if accurate) is a absurd amount of money. Literally obscene.
I wasn't terribly interested in Hurley as I thought he would be a terrible fit for UK. But, for him to turn down that kind of money is a red flag IMO.

Greg McDermott, Mike White, Lamont Paris, Brad Brownell...among others are all rising stars. No big splash among any of them yet but, a lot of the older, bigger names will be retiring in the next 5 years. But, Tubby Smith got the job and hadn't done much of anything either..
If you have to have someone with more experience, call Bruce Pearl or Sean Miller.
I like White and McDermott . They run good stuff and would recruit well at UK

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
If Hurley really rejected that kind of money cuz he wants to stay in Connecticut where they care more about the womens team then that’s his call but he clearly wasn’t the man for the job

Have you ever been to Storrs CT? It’s possibly one of the most boring places in the western hemisphere. The highlight of being there is to go to the UConn dairy barn for ice cream

Why is it so crazy Hurley declined?
He makes plenty of money, he’s from NE and his family is firmly entrenched
Fans love him and he’s already won two titles
The pay is a matter of degrees.
If he’s happy where he is no amount of money will move him

It’s not always about the benjamins people

Why is it so crazy Hurley declined?
He makes plenty of money, he’s from NE and his family is firmly entrenched
Fans love him and he’s already won two titles
The pay is a matter of degrees.
If he’s happy where he is no amount of money will move him

It’s not always about the benjamins people
I completely agree with this. I’m not sure how much he makes, but at some point enough is enough. Especially in a place where he already knows the landscape and is endeared to the UCONN fans and administrators. To me it’s the problem that we face everywhere. There’s so much money at all these schools. Any major coach is living like a king. Plus, it seems like a lot of places have really nice facilities and arenas too.

• Love
Reactions: Bkocats
I completely agree with this. I’m not sure how much he makes, but at some point enough is enough. Especially in a place where he already knows the landscape and is endeared to the UCONN fans and administrators. To me it’s the problem that we face everywhere. There’s so much money at all these schools. Any major coach is living like a king. Plus, it seems like a lot of places have really nice facilities and arenas too.
Exactly
Most of these coaches we seem to be going after are well paid
There needs to be other incentives/reasons

I still think we should take a chance on a younger coach..no more than 5 million a year but with incentives and NIL $$

Exactly
Most of these coaches we seem to be going after are well paid
There needs to be other incentives/reasons

I still think we should take a chance on a younger coach..no more than 5 million a year but with incentives and NIL $$
I will support if that’s what it ends up being

Reactions: Bkocats
Just reading that it is incredibly hard to absorb. $100 million (if accurate) is a absurd amount of money. Literally obscene.
I wasn't terribly interested in Hurley as I thought he would be a terrible fit for UK. But, for him to turn down that kind of money is a red flag IMO.
Guys I understand your question about the money but really think about it and tell me…. Tell me one thing making 11 million vs 6 million do to change these guys lifestyle?

What bill can’t they pay or what toy can’t they buy with 6 vs 11?

There is no difference at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT