ADVERTISEMENT

••OFFICIAL KENTUCKY VS SOUTH CAROLINA GAME THREAD••

Really!! You have the audacity to pick just two players to say they hurt us tonight? Wow!!! I don't know what game you were watching tonight. Dilly and maybe Reeves are the only two players who even looked like they were ready to play or even cared.
Dude this is a message board. I can have the audacity to post whatever I want. If you could read a little better you would also see that I said our bigs which includes 4 other players. So how do you say I called out two. It seems I called out the same ones you just did. Clown

I'm not emotionally invested anymore. That ship sailed years ago. I watch now, for entertainment purposes. Tonight was not entertaining, but it won't ruin my night... not like it used to
I admit I had bought in. I wasn't worried even even at the start of the second half, then it became obvious we had no semblance of organization or team ball, Calipari panics on his rotation and USC is playing hard all night - the UK players didn't want any part of that.

Dude this is a message board. I can have the audacity to post whatever I want. If you could read a little better you would also see that I said our bigs which includes 4 other players. So how do you say I called out two. It seems I called out the same ones you just did. Clown
Attempting to explain your comical post makes you about as clueless as Cal.

The problem with having a bunch of 5-star athletes on your team is that you don't have anyone who wants to play defense. These guys only care about offense. This team has enough athletes to even make Cal's poor coaching skills appear better than what they are but they simply have to desire no play defense. Each player wants to be the first one streaking down court for a turnover induced layup.

Last edited:
I'm not emotionally invested anymore. That ship sailed years ago. I watch now, for entertainment purposes. Tonight was not entertaining, but it won't ruin my night... not like it used to
I am there also. And that’s coming from a season ticket holder. As long as Cal is here we aren’t going to exceed expectations. We will under underachieve.

I didn't even see the play, and all I can say is I remember the rule used to be that there MUST be at least 0.7 seconds on the clock for a catch and shoot. Anything less required a tip b/c it is physically impossible to catch and shoot in 0.5 seconds.
Yet they allowed UK to get off a 3 with .4 seconds without even looking at it

I am there also. And that’s coming from a season ticket holder. As long as Cal is here we aren’t going to exceed expectations. We will under underachieve.
Yes my daughter just said to me that I didn’t seem at all upset. I said nope. UK will have a decent season but that’s it. Just don’t see this team doing anything special. Don’t see them winning the SEC, the SEC tourney or the NCAA.

My son has a baseball series in the Nashville area during the SEC tournament and was going to get tickets to catch some of the SEC games between his games. Despite the fact I will be there Thursday-Sunday, tonight convinced me not to waste money on SEC tourney tickets.

Yet they allowed UK to get off a 3 with .4 seconds without even looking at it
Why are you here? You should be somewhere celebrating your win because you are not likely to have any more like it this season. Your victory is an outlier that has more to do with the coach of the team you defeated than anything that your team did.

It is amazing how quickly greatness can come an go. Saturday we look like one of the best teams to ever play the game while tonight we look like the team that ended Saturday's game.
Anyone with an ounce of basketball knowledge that watched the last 8 minutes of that game Saturday knew how much blowing that big lead mattered for this team.

MO for Cal's teams. Just like tonight. A bad omen of things to come.......

All you people blaming Edwards are basically the scum of the earth. And also dumb as a box of hammers.
I don't think most are trying to hammer him-yes, some are, but I think most are questioning if he is one of our top 7 or 8 players. If NOT, why is he playing so much AND starting every game. He should be on the bench when Thiero gets back-IF he ever gets back!

Reactions: Cat in ga
Yes my daughter just said to me that I didn’t seem at all upset. I said nope. UK will have a decent season but that’s it. Just don’t see this team doing anything special. Don’t see them winning the SEC, the SEC tourney or the NCAA.

My son has a baseball series in the Nashville area during the SEC tournament and was going to get tickets to catch some of the SEC games between his games. Despite the fact I will be there Thursday-Sunday, tonight convinced me not to waste money on SEC tourney tickets.
If losing with this embarrassment of abundant talent doesn't fully show that Cal can't coach, I don't know what will.

Reactions: 1009
We didn't play well offensively but this loss is on Cal imo (and I don't say that very often). Our gameplan was horrible and he did absolutely nothing to try and change the speed of the game. He just let USC control the tempo for 40 minutes. Our coach didn't put our guys in a position to win tonight.
This is so true!

If losing with this embarrassment of abundant talent doesn't fully show that Cal can't coach, I don't know what will.
-The lack of fundamental defense is astounding.
-The one on one basketball always comes out when the initial game plan doesn’t work. Simply resort to drive and throw it up
-The bizarre rotations in these games
-The inability to take away the other teams best options happens far too often.

Im not wasting time or money on this anymore. I will watch when I’m home but despite the fact I will be in Nashville, I will just take my son out for dinner and enjoy talking baseball with him.

Anyone with an ounce of basketball knowledge that watched the last 8 minutes of that game Saturday knew how much blowing that big lead mattered for this team.

MO for Cal's teams. Just like tonight. A bad omen of things to come.......
You are exactly right. I criticized the team for disrespecting the game during that last 7 minute stretch even though some fans didn't like my post. I stated that they treated the game like an NBA all-star game. It was one of the on court low points for a Kentucky team.

Reactions: cathouse
The problem with having a bunch of 5-star athletes on your team is that you don't have anyone who wants to play defense. These guys only care about offense. This team has enough athletes to even make Cal's poor coaching skills appear better than what they are but they simply have to desire no play defense. Each player wants to be the first one streaking down court for a turnover induced layup.

We had plenty of 5 star players in the past play defense.

This isn't about whatever star the player is. It's about the total lack of defense that's been happening since 2019. Not surprisingly, our last real tournament run

-The lack of fundamental defense is astounding.
-The one on one basketball always comes out when the initial game plan doesn’t work. Simply resort to drive and throw it up
-The bizarre rotations in these games
-The inability to take away the other teams best options happens far too often.

Im not wasting time or money on this anymore. I will watch when I’m home but despite the fact I will be in Nashville, I will just take my son out for dinner and enjoy talking baseball with him.
I hear you. Cal seems more interested in distributing minutes to players based on recruiting promises. I am beginning to wonder if some of the lack of effort by some players is a result of meritless minutes going to Edwards.

Georgia and especially Alabama didn't have any trouble with them.
SC was 14-32 at the FT line vs uga. Lost by 5 cause had to foul at the end. Should have won. Should be 17-2 right now. So uga didn’t “have their way” with anyone.

It was just one of those nights for Kentucky. Lots of basketball left to play. You guys need to quit freaking out. You have plenty of talent to go deep into the tournament

We had plenty of 5 star players in the past play defense.

This isn't about whatever star the player is. It's about the total lack of defense that's been happening since 2019. Not surprisingly, our last real tournament run
When was the last time one of Cal's teams played decently on defense? Also, Cal use to award minutes based on production and hard work. He no longer does that.

SC was 14-32 at the FT line vs uga. Lost by 5 cause had to foul at the end. Should have won. Should be 17-2 right now. So uga didn’t “have their way” with anyone.

It was just one of those nights for Kentucky. Lots of basketball left to play. You guys need to quit freaking out. You have plenty of talent to go deep into the tournament
We are well aware of the talent on this team. Kentucky rarely ever lacks talent; we lack coaching. If this team was coached by any other SEC coach, they would have destroyed you.

Reactions: ThunderMash
When was the last time one of Cal's teams played decently on defense? Also, Cal use to award minutes based on production and hard work. He no longer does that.

Defensive efficiency numbers:
2020 = 52nd
2021 = 35th
2022 = 36th
2023 = 68th
2024 = 98th

Since then we've headed in the wrong direction here.

You know the biggest difference? 2 point FG% defense. Despite having 21 feet of bodies near the hoop, we can't seem to defend. 163rd this season in opponents 2 point FG%.

That's just not going to work here.

Gone are the days where our guards could keep players in front of them. Then the few times teams did try to drive on us in the past Davis or Noel would just swat it out of there. We still block our fair share of shots but STILL give up way too much on the inside.

What was it Cal said? If you don't have an inside game, you're a fraud. Hmm.

We are well aware of the talent on this team. Kentucky rarely ever lacks talent; we lack coaching. If this team was coached by any other SEC coach, they would have destroyed you.
I know he is young but floridas coach with our roster would be interesting

Reactions: LmdCat
I think the question shouldn't be would another coach do better with the current talent we have. I think that's a pointless question because they aren't recruiting at Cal's level.

The real question is are we better off with Cal's recruiting but poor coaching or someone else's recruiting but better coaching.

Defensive efficiency numbers:
2020 = 52nd
2021 = 35th
2022 = 36th
2023 = 68th
2024 = 98th

Since then we've headed in the wrong direction here.

You know the biggest difference? 2 point FG% defense. Despite having 21 feet of bodies near the hoop, we can't seem to defend. 163rd this season in opponents 2 point FG%.

That's just not going to work here.

Gone are the days where our guards could keep players in front of them. Then the few times teams did try to drive on us in the past Davis or Noel would just swat it out of there. We still block our fair share of shots but STILL give up way too much on the inside.

What was it Cal said? If you don't have an inside game, you're a fraud. Hmm.
When the opposing team knows that they are facing a coach who will put his 7-footer in a chase position, it is easy to score under the basket. Cal's teams are either allowing uncontested 3s or they play their bigs too far from under the basket to defend cuts to the basket. I don't understand why we are guarding non-shooting post players away from the basket.

I think the question shouldn't be would another coach do better with the current talent we have. I think that's a pointless question because they aren't recruiting at Cal's level.

The real question is are we better off with Cal's recruiting but poor coaching or someone else's recruiting but better coaching.

Every coach at UK will get the talent. The brand is bigger than the coach.

Reactions: cathouse and LmdCat
Good thing I couldn't watch the game. It'll be promptly deleted from the dvr. Had to listen to Tom and Goose 2nd half. Boy! It was brutal. The sound of their voices were like the couldn't believe what was happening. This team has a TON of growing up to do. We are soft. Have been all season. I just wonder if anyone will have the stones to ask Cal what is up with our defense. This is definitely Cals worst defensive team and one of the worst in my lifetime. It's unbelieveable how bad we are. We were 74th in Kenpom before this game. Will be much worse after tonight.

Since we know what we will get with Cal and all of his talent, I see no reason to not go with a much better coach because I believe Kentucky has as much to do with recruiting as Cal. Cal was not recruiting at this level before coming to Kentucky and it isn't even close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT