ADVERTISEMENT

Zone blocking again with power lineman...

Sep 20, 2015
At what point is CMS going to get his head out of his you know what and realize that we can't freaking run it. It didn't work at the beginning of Coen's first year and CMS changed it back to a man blocking scheme, it didn't work last year and it F'n isn't working AGAIN. How hard is it to figure out!?!?!? We DON'T have the players to run it. SUCK IT UP AND SWITCH IT BACK!!!

Feels like we’re forcing the outside zone rushing as it’s better to set up play action pass game vs inside power zone that is probably less effective in passing game

The other variable is our past RB in Benny and Crod types don’t fit as well in outside zone scheme. So csn we effectively recruit and develop Rb in addition to Oline with this concept

In the end, I feel Coen deserves this year to prove it csn work. If not, Stoops needs to talk to Coen about doing what work in college

Reactions: plumdog69
I've seen no indication last year or this that our current linemen are road grader power ahead blockers.

If we want the NFL quality linemen, they don't do well if they fail in pass protect.

Reactions: gamecockcat
I've seen no indication last year or this that our current linemen are road grader power ahead blockers.

If we want the NFL quality linemen, they don't do well if they fail in pass protect.
Feels like we’re forcing the outside zone rushing as it’s better to set up play action pass game vs inside power zone that is probably less effective in passing game

The other variable is our past RB in Benny and Crod types don’t fit as well in outside zone scheme. So csn we effectively recruit and develop Rb in addition to Oline with this concept

In the end, I feel Coen deserves this year to prove it csn work. If not, Stoops needs to talk to Coen about doing what work in college
It will work.
We haven’t tried running it much this year because of the lack of plays the first two games.
Give it time.

Reactions: Trubluepopeye
It will work.
We haven’t tried running it much this year because of the lack of plays the first two games.
Give it time.
If we can't run it vs. EKU and Ball St (and the same thing happened at beginning of 2021 season)...why would I believe it will work vs. SEC teams? This just looks like we'll be in 2nd and 8 constantly and hoping Leary can get a 10 yard completion on 3rd down consistently thru a game.

If we can't run it vs. EKU and Ball St (and the same thing happened at beginning of 2021 season)...why would I believe it will work vs. SEC teams? This just looks like we'll be in 2nd and 8 constantly and hoping Leary can get a 10 yard completion on 3rd down consistently thru a game.

The lack of success in 2021 combined with the struggles in the first 2 games of 2023 suggest you may be correct, but for the sake of the team, I hope you are wrong.

69 passing plays
43 running plays

5.4 yards per rush

Jesus some of you people just like to bitch!
- We hit two big plays last drive of Ball St to get that one up there....we looked anemic running in Ball St game.

- EKU...I thought looked decent...we didn't run the ball much in that game.

- Also, I get all the rushes count but running the ball on reverses to our WR has hit some big shots that makes those average yards per rush look better than pure RB carries.

I think the Oline looks better than 2022 (could it have been any worse)....but I remain not afraid but more like still not certain we'll have a good enough Oline to win with this group. If Horsey comes back in a few weeks, I'd be way more comfortable. I don't feel like it's just bitching for the sake of bitching to say the run game is still a concern.

Reactions: plumdog69
69 passing plays
43 running plays

5.4 yards per rush

Jesus some of you people just like to bitch!

I'm not just trying to complain. Coach Stoops hasn't been pleased with it either, so maybe he just likes to complain as well. Also, this is a message board to discuss the team, so why not join the discussion without making an assuming, jerkish response?

The stats you give about yards per rush may look great, but as K-Time stated, that doesn't equal a good rushing attack at the LOS.

I think the bigger concern is the inconsistency... especially against inferior opponents like Ball St and EKU

For example, in the EKU game...
A big chunk of yardage came on Barion Brown's end around. If you take that out, the run game generated

21 rushes for 94 yards, which still appears decent at almost 4.5 ypc.
However, 11 of those 21 runs were 3 yards or less, and most of those were on 1st down (I counted either 9 or 10 of the unsuccessful runs were 1st down). In addition, another short run was on 3rd and 1 that was stuffed.

So, the run game either produced a huge run or was stuffed. That created a lot of 2nd & long situations as well as prevented conversion on a 3rd and 1.

I think that's why the run game hasn't passed the eye test and appears at least somewhat concerning...especially given the competition.

It will work.
Give it time.
Exactly, also let’s concentrate on putting the ball in the hands of our playmakers ! Barion Brown needs at least 10 touches per game imo. Never know what’s gonna happen when he gets ball. If it’s pitch outs or sweeps or whatever let’s put the ball in the hands of guys who make things happen.

Exactly, also let’s concentrate on putting the ball in the hands of our playmakers ! Barion Brown needs at least 10 touches per game imo. Never know what’s gonna happen when he gets ball. If it’s pitch outs or sweeps or whatever let’s put the ball in the hands of guys who make things happen.
Well if Barion catches the ball in his numbers that would 2 touches a game. And if Barion would not quit on balls...he may grab another touch per game potentially. Barion has alot of maturation to do before we gameplan for him to be the top option.

Reactions: southindycat
Well if Barion catches the ball in his numbers that would 2 touches a game. And if Barion would not quit on balls...he may grab another touch per game potentially. Barion has alot of maturation to do before we gameplan for him to be the top option.
Im not sure what games you’ve been watching but Barion is clearly one of top five players on team. His speed and escape ability makes him a threat where ever he touches ball. His punt return set up touchdown for Ky that enabled them to go into half tied which was huge.

Im not sure what games you’ve been watching but Barion is clearly one of top five players on team. His speed and escape ability makes him a threat where ever he touches ball. His punt return set up touchdown for Ky that enabled them to go into half tied which was huge.
I've watched every UK game for 40years .... played with 5 teammates in high school that played for UK in the 90s....so there is that.

- Barion is maybe the 2nd most talented (behind Deone Walker) and he's an elite special teams threat in open field for sure. But as a WR...in 1 year and 2 games....his hands are iffy, UK does get him the ball in space and he drops a higher share than other WR do. Barion on deep balls.....he hasn't shown good ball skills/tracking on deep stuff even with his speed. So at times when we try to get him the ball and he doesn't make the simple plays....we get behind the sticks and drives stall out at times.

Love Barion and we need to go to him. But on 3rd and 5 to 15 yards...the ball needs to Dane/Tayvion as they are more dependable.

Reactions: footerball
I do not usually comment of these threads often but OP has merit. We have tried to run outside zone scheme twice before without sustained success. The fascination(UK) with it in college baffles me. Unfortunately C-ROD is not walking back through that front door again. What will have to be determined is what is best for the personnel that UK has now? I do think before long you will see a shift like 2021 had.

I do not usually comment of these threads often but OP has merit. We have tried to run outside zone scheme twice before without sustained success. The fascination(UK) with it in college baffles me. Unfortunately C-ROD is not walking back through that front door again. What will have to be determined is what is best for the personnel that UK has now? I do think before long you will see a shift like 2021 had.

I'm wondering if they may stick with the current outside zone scheme BECAUSE CRod isn't on the team. With inside zone runs he was lethal, but some of the stuff I've read suggests the current stable of backs may actually be better suited size/skill wise for outside run scheme.

I'm wondering if they may stick with the current outside zone scheme BECAUSE CRod isn't on the team. With inside zone runs he was lethal, but some of the stuff I've read suggests the current stable of backs may actually be better suited size/skill wise for outside run scheme.
You maybe right? They seem married and determined to that scheme. I think everyone will have a better idea what will work best after the Vandy or Fl game?

I still don't understand why we're trying to reinvent the wheel. All we needed was a decent passing offense to compliment our power run game. You just can't be exclusively a power run team and expect to win much in the SEC.
It’s hard to win in the SEC no matter what you do. But that power running game was better than anything else we ever tried.

At what point is CMS going to get his head out of his you know what and realize that we can't freaking run it. It didn't work at the beginning of Coen's first year and CMS changed it back to a man blocking scheme, it didn't work last year and it F'n isn't working AGAIN. How hard is it to figure out!?!?!? We DON'T have the players to run it. SUCK IT UP AND SWITCH IT BACK!!!
uh we ran great zone blocking a just few years back with Terry and before that Johnson.
BUT we had different OL coach... sometimes it ain't the players

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT