ADVERTISEMENT

Zion Williamson family unhappy with Pelican franchise

As many of us predicted, he would never be a true superstar in the nba. Yes he has several wow moments but that's it.

He's an incredible physical specimen but can only score when he can put his head down and bull his way to the hole or catch an alley oop.

He just isn't someone you can build a franchise around. He'd be a great piece for a team looking to build, but neither he nor Nike seems interested in that.

Wonder how Nike is feeling about the largest contract ever, rumored at $1,000,000,000?
Where have you seen that Nike signed him for a billion dollars?? You're just making shit up.

Where have you seen that Nike signed him for a billion dollars?? You're just making shit up.

If you could read I said that was rumored. It never got out how much he was paid, but it was the consensus agreement it was the largest shoe deal in history.

I personally love watching Zion play. He’s unique much like Barkley. Like Chuck, he’ll likely never win a championship, well, unless he forms a super team. I hate that he took money to play for Duke. But he’s fun as hell to watch.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
If you could read I said that was rumored. It never got out how much he was paid, but it was the consensus agreement it was the largest shoe deal in history.
So where'd you read the rumor? It was the largest rookie contract, not the largest contract.

So where'd you read the rumor? It was the largest rookie contract, not the largest contract.

It was all over Twitter. Just a rumor.

Also I have absolutely zero care of you believe me or not. So this notion of having to prove it is just not something I'm wasting my time doing, especially when it was the prevalent rumor at the time

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
I think a lot of people talking about Zion are thinking of his year at a duke and his rookie year in the NBA, where there were legit injury concerns and weight issues (not that these aren't still an issue).

But he had a fantastic 2nd year. He was starting to put New Orleans in his back and his 2nd half numbers were, begrudgingly to say, nearly MVP-level.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
It's perfectly ok not to like Zion bc he went to Duke. but it's obvious some y'all clowns just want him to suck so you tell yourself he does but haven't watched a game of his since he was in Durham

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Zion is great at scoring down low but his defense and rebounding are pretty terrible for an athlete of his caliber.
This.

What Zion does on a basketball court will never translate to a title, he gets his when he gets the ball but does nothing else to make his team better. He’s basically a PF version of Carmelo Anthony.

This too
It was all over Twitter. Just a rumor.

Also I have absolutely zero care of you believe me or not. So this notion of having to prove it is just not something I'm wasting my time doing, especially when it was the prevalent rumor at the time
This took me literally 5 seconds to search and find. Serious question. Did you actually believe even a smidge of the "rumor" that Nike paid Zion 1 billion?

Reactions: 420grover
Another weird take. Pretty obvious when you don’t follow the NBA. More quality minutes? He averaged 33 minutes a game which is pretty much on par with most high profile staters. Averaged 27 and 7 and shot over 60% from the field. Also he’s 20. Pretty sure the Pelicans are pretty happy w what they got. I don’t personally care for him a ton, but let’s try to look at things somewhat objectively. He’s one of the main young stars in the league.
too much hype... he has just been an athletic bully so far...
he still runs weird...and still not in shape; his hips and knees will not live up to the hype
jmo

Reactions: ukfan041 and TM2013
This too

This took me literally 5 seconds to search and find. Serious question. Did you actually believe even a smidge of the "rumor" that Nike paid Zion 1 billion?

Good for you. I don't care what it's worth so I didn't routinely google the value to see it was ever released.

Also fyi "reports" is just a bit fancier rumor. There is still yet no actual confirmation of what was paid. No I don't think it was a billion but I do think it was a shockingly high amount

too much hype... he has just been an athletic bully so far...
he still runs weird...and still not in shape; his hips and knees will not live up to the hype
jmo
Why am I not shocked that he runs weird is the best you could come up with??? Solid argument

• Haha
Reactions: dakid_0812
Why am I not shocked that he runs weird is the best you could come up with??? Solid argument
Well, it’s not his opinion, it’s the New Orleans Pelicans training staff opinion, they say his joints are going to fall apart if he doesn’t change his form, and he’s not changed it for them.

It’s a legitimate concern for a franchise’s key player that he’ll be falling apart by the time he’s 30.

Well, it’s not his opinion, it’s the New Orleans Pelicans training staff opinion, they say his joints are going to fall apart if he doesn’t change his form, and he’s not changed it for them.

It’s a legitimate concern for a franchise’s key player that he’ll be falling apart by the time he’s 30.
lol... anyone can see he puts to much pressure on his joints
he must be Zion's personal apologist
Zion Williams, is a weird hill to die on

Reactions: jameslee32
lol... anyone can see he puts to much pressure on his joints
he must be Zion's personal apologist
Zion Williams, is a weird hill to die on
I mean I hope the best for the kid, but being 285 lbs and jumping 40” in the air isn’t a recipe for a long career to begin with, let alone the issues with his forms.

It’s odd there are people here that will go to bat for Duke and Gonzaga and their players harder than they will for UK or Cal.

Lol Zion is a legit stud in the NBA, if you don’t watch it I understand, to each their own.

But excuse me, why the hell should anyone care what his family thinks... do they play?

The Pelicans are a terribly managed franchise, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see them lose it in the next few year. However, grow some balls and say you aren’t happy, because you are a grown man.

Good for you. I don't care what it's worth so I didn't routinely google the value to see it was ever released.

Also fyi "reports" is just a bit fancier rumor. There is still yet no actual confirmation of what was paid. No I don't think it was a billion but I do think it was a shockingly high amount
If you didn't think it was a billion, then why did you post it? I mean, no one except maybe a little kid or somebody really gullible would have believed a shoe company would have given a billion dollar contract to a rookie. Players like Jordan and James who have lifetime contracts will reach a billion at some point (Jordan probably already has done it), but no one will ever approach that without a lifetime deal. $75 million over 5 years is a great deal of money, but it's an entire universe away from a billion.

• Haha
Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Reading this board you would think Zion was averaging 10 pts and 2 rebs
Yes, also think he's more then correct about being upset about lack of direction and chaos, but this is exactly why so many fans of Anthony Davis wanted him to get out of New Orleans. The organization tried to place blame on Davis and act as if he was the cause of the chaos....no this is just how they operate down there and it's a horribly run franchise. Going to a 3rd coach in 3 yrs is awful but they literally bought SVG's nonsense and over the top self racial hate "bit" last Summer to be woke so he could come in and do what SVG does--you judge a coach on how he coaches, not how many BLM/George Floyd tributes he spews. At end of day they fell for the BS and got a dated coach who was a disaster in game management.

As for where they go from here? Silver has created the "play in" event to try and get Zion in the Playoffs immediately. He's gifted an award to Brandon Ingram who is the exact same player he was when helping the Lakers win the Summer League Championship--a guy who is an awful fit next to Zion because Ingram needs the ball to be most effective and isn't great off the ball. Lonzo Ball is blocking the progress of Kira Lewis who will be a better player, and they have repetitive pieces upfront many of whom are trying to establish themselves in the league and that means they put individual stuff in front of winning.

Yes, also think he's more then correct about being upset about lack of direction and chaos, but this is exactly why so many fans of Anthony Davis wanted him to get out of New Orleans. The organization tried to place blame on Davis and act as if he was the cause of the chaos....no this is just how they operate down there and it's a horribly run franchise. Going to a 3rd coach in 3 yrs is awful but they literally bought SVG's nonsense and over the top self racial hate "bit" last Summer to be woke so he could come in and do what SVG does--you judge a coach on how he coaches, not how many BLM/George Floyd tributes he spews. At end of day they fell for the BS and got a dated coach who was a disaster in game management.

As for where they go from here? Silver has created the "play in" event to try and get Zion in the Playoffs immediately. He's gifted an award to Brandon Ingram who is the exact same player he was when helping the Lakers win the Summer League Championship--a guy who is an awful fit next to Zion because Ingram needs the ball to be most effective and isn't great off the ball. Lonzo Ball is blocking the progress of Kira Lewis who will be a better player, and they have repetitive pieces upfront many of whom are trying to establish themselves in the league and that means they put individual stuff in front of winning.
All great points . Also they really ran a backcourt of Lonzo Ball and Eric Bledsoe out there . I love Bled but he has been on a serious decline and in today’s game that simply can’t be your backcourt .

All great points . Also they really ran a backcourt of Lonzo Ball and Eric Bledsoe out there . I love Bled but he has been on a serious decline and in today’s game that simply can’t be your backcourt .
Thinking of Ball.....how long must we wait for this great "surge" to his career? I mean we keep hearing he's working on this/that it's just bad. As for NBA-they should just thank Magic Johnson's awful decision making because Lakers could've had De'Aaron Fox or Jayson Tatum with AD/LeBron instead of wasting a pick on Ball due to him being a CA kid.

Bledsoe was there to provide veteran presence but his game is not a good fit at all for how most teams play. He's now reached point he's a great 2nd unit piece, not a frontline player.

Haven’t seen a soul act like that on this board . The People defending him just said that he had a very good second season which he did . The guy averaged 27 and 7 .I can just about guarantee none of these negative takes would happen about him had went to Kentucky .
"superstar" is beyond good season
Who has said he had a bad season?

but you are right. If he were a UK player, the critics wouldn't be so bad.
No one is ever on Randal, MKG, KAT, Booker, WG, Herro for "underperforming" or being "soft" or being a "bust"
nope, doesn't happen round these parts...

If you are there and agreed to a contract then uphold your end of the bargain. Once your contract is up, then you can pick your team. This chunky ****er won’t be in the league by 2025. Mark it down.

"superstar" is beyond good season
Who has said he had a bad season?

but you are right. If he were a UK player, the critics wouldn't be so bad.
No one is ever on Randal, MKG, KAT, Booker, WG, Herro for "underperforming" or being "soft" or being a "bust"
nope, doesn't happen round these parts...
Lol you’re really gonna sit here and use Wenyen Gabriel as an example .

Randle - Nobody bashed Randle on this board .

MKG - He was a bust . He didn’t average 27 and 7. If MKG averaged anywhere near that folks wouldn’t have bashed him .

KAT - A few called him soft but still knows he’s a great talent .

D Book - Again who has bashed his NBA career on here ?

Herro - There is some obsession with his off the court life here and well he did have a bad playoffs.

WG - lol

Again 27 and 7 in your second year in the league is promising , very promising . Of course folks will view the number 1 pick that averaged 27 and 7 as a young superstar in this league .

Last edited:
Thinking of Ball.....how long must we wait for this great "surge" to his career? I mean we keep hearing he's working on this/that it's just bad. As for NBA-they should just thank Magic Johnson's awful decision making because Lakers could've had De'Aaron Fox or Jayson Tatum with AD/LeBron instead of wasting a pick on Ball due to him being a CA kid.

Bledsoe was there to provide veteran presence but his game is not a good fit at all for how most teams play. He's now reached point he's a great 2nd unit piece, not a frontline player.
I always felt like Lonzo Ball game fit the 90s era more than this era . I doubt his game will ever take off. He seems to be up and down .

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Thinking of Ball.....how long must we wait for this great "surge" to his career? I mean we keep hearing he's working on this/that it's just bad.

He's going into his fifth year (averaging a mere 54 games a season) in a terrible organization with a career .397 FG% and .560 FT% and a career 13.2 PER. He's pretty versatile on defense, which helps make up for his inconsistent offense, but (and I of course could be totally wrong about this) I think his NBA career's probably peaked.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/balllo01.html

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Sometimes you just have to shake your head at the ignorance on here. If the whole league went into a draft tomorrow. Zion would be for sure a top 10 pick and likely top 5. Possibly even #1. He’s 20 freaking years old and dominates.

Lol you’re really gonna sit here and use Wenyen Gabriel as an example .

Randle - Nobody bashed Randle on this board .

MKG - He was a bust . He didn’t average 27 and 7. If MKG averaged anywhere near that folks wouldn’t have bashed him .

KAT - A few called him soft but still knows he’s a great talent .

D Book - Again who has bashed his NBA career on here ?

Herro - There is some obsession with his off the court life here and well he did have a bad playoffs.

WG - lol

Again 27 and 7 in your second year in the league is promising , very promising . Of course folks will view the number 1 pick that averaged 27 and 7 as a young superstar in this league .
point is we critic our own very hard... play it anyway you want to show your love of Zion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT