ADVERTISEMENT

Zion Granted Stay

So, it looks like Duke will get off the hook again, possibly. This just gets sickening to see how obvious it is that places like Duke and UNC receive such preferential protection while some other schools get hammered for far less offenses. Maybe we should just wear Duke lookalike uniforms and we could probably do anything we wanted. Just shaking my head at the extremely obvious bias.

The results from that decision.

While we’re a long way away from the college basketball season, multiple investigations into possible NCAA violations have taken center stage recently. The NCAA imposed significant penalties on Oklahoma State recently, and former Duke star Zion Williamson has been involved in a court case in which the plaintiff, Gina Ford, has sought to reveal details of improper benefits that she alleges Williamson received.

The question was whether Williamson would have to reveal any possible violations or if they would be ruled to be irrelevant to the case.

Daniel Wallach of The Athletic has details on that.

"Zion Williamson is granted a full stay of the Florida lawsuit brought by Gina Ford," Wallach wrote on Twitter. "The 3rd DCA’s Order states that 'the trial court’s proceedings are hereby stayed.' This means that he will not have to answer Ford’s discovery requests - for now - as venue shifts to NC."

Wallach added: "The trial court judge had no discretion to deny the stay under longstanding FL precedent. Third DCA’s decision in a case involving Sergei Federov mandated a stay here. An abuse of discretion not to have entered it. Was a slam dunk winner for Zion. Always was."

So for now, Williamson will not have to answer questions about any impermissible benefits received. As Wallach noted, the stay doesn't guarantee that Williamson is permanently off the hook.

Also this is exactly why we DON'T tag duke fans until this actually turns into a punishment. I really don't blame them for taking their eventual victory lap here.

Reactions: sdryan2
This is for the case filed in Florida. It’s still possible he may have to testify in the federal case in NC. I won’t hold my breath though.
I guess at least this will put Duke in the limelight for cheating. Folks that may have held on to the false Duke narrative for years now should be able to rationalize that they certainly were cheating all along, whether or not Zion testifies.

Are you kidding me?
This is the perfect case of the saying ‘Justice is blind’. No better example.

Everyone knows they gave him money. Justice in this case; dook faces a multi season post season ban. The NCAA will never, never let that happen.
privatization-increases-inequality-in-our-jus-l-n7axkw.jpeg

So, it looks like Duke will get off the hook again, possibly. This just gets sickening to see how obvious it is that places like Duke and UNC receive such preferential protection while some other schools get hammered for far less offenses. Maybe we should just wear Duke lookalike uniforms and we could probably do anything we wanted. Just shaking my head at the extremely obvious bias.
I think schools like OSU, should say "f u" on the items they can (scholarships). All they have to say is something to the effect: NCAA wants to deny college admission to these kids...

Reactions: Ky grandpa
He won't have to answer questions in Florida. What about when things shift back to N.C. will he have to there?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT