ADVERTISEMENT

Zion compared to Lebron

Cal-4-Three

Sophomore
Apr 2, 2011
Richmond, KY
I keep seeing people comparing Zion to Lebron. I actually think he is more in the mold of Julius Randle at the next level. Yes he is more athletic than Julius, but I think he will be more of a Julius type than lebron type and that has nothing to do with where he went to school. Thoughts?

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
He's more in the mold of Julius Randle as a player but as far as physical gifts, he's the closest to LBJ that we've seen. He has explosion Randle only dreams of. Outside of LBJ, I've never seen someone over 265lbs jump so effortlessly, so high, and so quickly. He can land, and jump again before most players have completed their first jump. He's also incredibly fast and blitzes past guards and attacks the rim like a locomotive, just like LBJ. If he had the handles/court vision of LBJ, he'd be right there. As it is, he plays more like Randle (a 4/3) than LBJ who's a point forward.

I keep seeing people comparing Zion to Lebron. I actually think he is more in the mold of Julius Randle at the next level. Yes he is more athletic than Julius, but I think he will be more of a Julius type than lebron type and that has nothing to do with where he went to school. Thoughts?
Could you give some examples of these “people comparing Zion to Lebron”?

Reactions: thepip
I could be wrong and maybe I need to go back and look but I don’t recall Randle having the consistent ability to take his man off the dribble away from the basket. When Zion has the ball on the perimeter, it appears most have trouble keeping him from driving. Zion has pretty good handles for a man his size. I’m sure if I’m wrong I will be checked here but I don’t recall that as being a major part of Randles’ game. Zion also grabs a rebound and consistently can take it costs to coast and passes pretty well.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
Of course he is just because of the ESPN love affair with the Rat Faced Bastard and Dook LMAO , great college player yes , but he’s not the next Labron just yet

Reactions: Cal-4-Three
I could be wrong and maybe I need to go back and look but I don’t recall Randle having the consistent ability to take his man off the dribble away from the basket. When Zion has the ball on the perimeter, it appears most have trouble keeping him from driving. Zion has pretty good handles for a man his size. I’m sure if I’m wrong I will be checked here but I don’t recall that as being a major part of Randles’ game. Zion also grabs a rebound and consistently can take it costs to coast and passes pretty well.

You are in fact mistaken. Randle has always had a combination of point forward/bull in china shop game.

Zion is more explosive and has more lift, but you could say that about Zion compared to anyone.

Cal didn’t use Randle as much on the perimeter as he was used in high school, but he’s shown his all around game in the League with multiple triple doubles. Grabbing a rebound and taking it the length of the court has always been in his repertoire.

Of course he is just because of the ESPN love affair with the Rat Faced Bastard and Dook LMAO , great college player yes , but he’s not the next Labron just yet

He does get a ton of publicity from them and some of it is warranted. I remember Wall getting a ton of pub when he played here as well. Davis was be in that convo as well.

More Blake Griffin type ceiling imo. That’s not a bad level to be at by any means either but definitely not a LeBron type to me

If I have to Google it, no thanks. I don’t see it in real life. Have fun with that.

No where did I say that I believed the comparison. I was simply answering your question. Many in the national media have brought it up on talk shows etc. Just because you don't see it on PBS or KET doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Have fun with that.

Has anyone ever told you that we really don't care?..Yea, i thought so.

Randle would catch the ball many times at the top of the key then off the dribble take his man to the hoop for an authoritative dunk or lay up off the glass. Hell, that was his forte move.

Comparing Zion to Lebron is premature at best. I think time has to be the judge here.

Interesting that he has already achieved recognition by single name only.

To compare Zion to LeBron insults LeBron.
To compare Zion to Julius Randle insults Zion.

Randle is a 6’9” 250 pound monster who averages 20/9 at the next level playing less than 30 mpg.

Calling Zion a much more athletic, more explosive version of Randle is by all means a compliment. Not surprised you can’t understand that.

I
To compare Zion to LeBron insults LeBron.
To compare Zion to Julius Randle insults Zion.
Well Randle is in the NBA and having a really strong year and coming into his own , how about we let Zion play a few NBA games before make that statement chump . As of right now the big difference is Zion got his million dollar house when he signed with The Rat Faced Bastard and Dook, Randle got his after he signed with the Lakers .

i honestly don't think he will be a great pro...just as athletic guys as him, will be guarding him. He may have 20-40 lbs on them. But they will still be athletic and probably have quicker hands.
he will be good to very good; just not great.
jmho

Lol on comparing Zion to Randle. Top 10 for dumbest take I've read:
  • Randle's PER: 23. Zion's PER: 43.
  • Randle's O-rating: 114. Zion's O-rating: 132
  • Randle's D-rating: 98. Zion's D-rating: 94.
  • Randle's win-shares: 70% higher than "average"; Zion's win shares: 220% higher than "average".
It's beyond ludicrous to equate those two as comparable. Lebron is a much closer comp, although his passing and handle were significantly higher at this point in his career.

Zion, if he stays healthy, is multi-year all star with a decent chance to be among the top players of the past 20 years.

Reactions: Herromyherro
  • Randle's win-shares: 70% higher than "average"; Zion's win shares: 220% higher than "average".
It's beyond ludicrous to equate those two as comparable. Lebron is a much closer comp, although his passing and handle were significantly higher at this point in his career.

Zion, if he stays healthy, is multi-year all star with a decent chance to be among the top players of the past 20 years.
wow,
college and pro...
apples and cabbage

You really are thick-headed.

Take Julius Randle and give him elite athleticism and what do you think you have? Have you ever even watched him play?

Zion plays a lot more like Randle does than how Lebron does.

Nobody is saying that Randle is as good as Zion, so don’t get your feelings hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT