ADVERTISEMENT

Zags Fans Visiting - Hotel Recommendations?

Go to Joe Bolognas pizza. Get the garlic bread sticks......you may never leave KY.
EXACTLY!!!!!! I learned about Joe Bologna's garlic breadsticks when I was in school there beginning in 1976!!! 48 years ago!!!.I will still drive up there from Owensboro JUST FOR THE BREADSTICKS and turn around and go home. Is a nice little spur of the moment road trip. 😃 I also buy some to take home and freeze. Anyway, I agree with "Rivercatinfl" that you may never leave. Whatever else you have planned, add Joe Bologna's to your list!!!!

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙

Reactions: KYExtemper
catalina2.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Wonky
Is Columbia's Steakhouse, downtown North Limestone location, still good?

Wow! Thank you so much for the outpouring of recommendations. We travel for a lot for games, and I never had a bad experience with a fanbase, but my experience with your fanbase has stood out. We went to Spokane for the Zags/UK game last year, and met an older guy who was UK fan we had a great time with. We are pinching ourselves to be lucky enough to see the return game at Rupp, and appreciate your welcoming recommendations.

Hotel and dinner booked, although the dinner reservation is late because of the proximity to Rupp and obvious popularity. I'm looking forward to finally sipping a bourbon with a steak, in Kentucky.

This.

I'll also say the OP is braver than me waiting to book a hotel a few days before the trip. Lol fortunately Lexington won't be an issue.
I wish it was bravery, but it probably has more to do with deciding to go on a whim.

Things got interesting last night trying to book flights and hotel. We ended up booking to fly into Cincinnati, then flying out of Lexington. The Delta app was trying to book them as two one-way flights, which was stupid expensive, but we called their line, and they accomodated the fare as a round-trip fare.

One of the posters said the Marriott is where visiting teams stay, and I confirmed that through a buddy who works in our athletic department, but I felt like we wouldn't be experiencing Rupp without being in the thick of it.

I wish it was bravery, but it probably has more to do with deciding to go on a whim.

Things got interesting last night trying to book flights and hotel. We ended up booking to fly into Cincinnati, then flying out of Lexington. The Delta app was trying to book them as two one-way flights, which was stupid expensive, but we called their line, and they accomodated the fare as a round-trip fare.

One of the posters said the Marriott is where visiting teams stay, and I confirmed that through a buddy who works in our athletic department, but I felt like we wouldn't be experiencing Rupp without being in the thick of it.
You should have a good time and the game should be exciting. Welcome.

Reactions: ZagsVisitor
I'm a Cats fan who attended his first game last weekend. I can't begin to explain how awesome the experience was.

We got to town Saturday afternoon for an 8:30 game. Stayed at the Hyatt. Checking in ran into MKG, who couldn't have been nicer, took a selfie and chatted with him for a bit. What a great dude. We dropped our bags in the room, parked the rental and Uber'ed down to KSBar. We stayed until about 5. It was jam packed when we left and heard it only got more full. The food is just average bar food, the beer is cold, the prices are fantastic, and the atmosphere couldn't have been better. We wanted to stick around for the pregame show, but we were working on about 4 hours sleep and needed a nap before the game. When we return, and we will, we will stick around the bar for the pregame show and walk back (both Uber drivers told us there's no chance to get an Uber close within an hour or so of tip) to Rupp. It's about a 20 min walk. After the game, we hit the bar in the Hyatt lobby. It was awesome. I can only imagine what it would be like after a win.

Sunday we drove out to Frankfort and did the BT tour. What a great experience. If you haven't booked, I'm sure they're full. Woodford is also close and probably has space, you just have to pay for that one. I'd recommend it. We came back to Lex and walked around and stopped in a couple places for a drink and app. Ate dinner at Tonys. It's an experience, but if I'm being honest, the steaks were just average at best. Very nice restaurant with tremendous service, but I've had better steaks at Outback. All that said, I'd go back. I'd just probably get the salmon or something.

I did most/all of this on recs from people on this board. I can't thank them enough and the experience was UNREAL. I'm a HS basketball coach in MO. We have three kids and have been trying to do this for years. It's nearly impossible to make it happen given our schedules, but we decided after this past weekend it's going to be an annual thing for us. It was THAT good. Use the recs from the people on this board and just have a blast!

Reactions: Ron Mehico
EXACTLY!!!!!! I learned about Joe Bologna's garlic breadsticks when I was in school there beginning in 1976!!! 48 years ago!!!.I will still drive up there from Owensboro JUST FOR THE BREADSTICKS and turn around and go home. Is a nice little spur of the moment road trip. 😃 I also buy some to take home and freeze. Anyway, I agree with "Rivercatinfl" that you may never leave. Whatever else you have planned, add Joe Bologna's to your list!!!!

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙
Ha ha ha. I was there at the same time as you. 76-79.
I ate more breadsticks than is legal!
I just took my grandkids there recently. Joe's daughter still works there and was super friendly to us.

And the breadsticks were as good as I remembered!

Great memories.

• Love
Reactions: susan2361
I just took my grandkids there recently. Joe's daughter still works there and was super friendly to us.

Great memories.
Joe still working there. Dude is like 80 and still directing the staff. Anyone with issues getting waiting on - staffing is surer tough there at certain times. I hate making excuses, but it just is. They are begging people to work, just hard to get dependable people and Joe would rather run short than tolerate lousy staff. If you can be patient, the bread sticks are tremendous.

In the other hand. I do not recommend Cinco De Mayo next door. Rough experiences there all around. There is a reason Joes is on an hour wait and they have open tables. Just sayin.

Great memories.
We were in there not too long ago and I saw this old man cleaning tables, busting his butt. I thought oh how sad, poor guy has to still work just to have money to eat at night. Whole time I ate, I watched this man work and I felt guilty for stuffing my face. Then, at the end of dinner saw a customer walk up to old man and said “hey, joe, how ya doing buddy “….yeah it was Joe bologna. So, old man probably had enough money but worked just because that’s who he is.

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
LexLive is OK, not my favorite, and be careful when exiting the garage, because you can get stuck if you mess up (the gate won't let you out). The distillery district is not bad, and it's a short drive away from Rupp. Hyatt Rupp, or Hilton is your best bet if you do not want to drive a lot.

Lex Live is the closest we can get to the old mall pre-game atmosphere. I used to love that on big games.

My usual routine

Park near Grey Goose -> Lunch/Dinner & Drinks @ Grey Goose -> Walk to arena area -> Drinks at Hyatt and/or Lex Live -> Game -> Avoid traffic, hit expressway -> Peace out

Is Columbia's Steakhouse, downtown North Limestone location, still good?
Unfortunately, it is not very good anymore. Ate there about 7 years ago and it was bad but decided to give it another try recently and it was bad again. Haven’t been to the other two locations in decades.

It used to be the best back in the day.

Unfortunately, it is not very good anymore. Ate there about 7 years ago and it was bad but decided to give it another try recently and it was bad again. Haven’t been to the other two locations in decades.

It used to be the best back in the day.

I waited tables at Columbia's in Lansdowne from '84 - '87 while going to UK (where Malones is now). Good times for sure. We were always packed. The tenderloin 'Nighthawk Special' was in demand but honestly there wasn't a lot of competition back then.

I waited tables at Columbia's in Lansdowne from '84 - '87 while going to UK (where Malones is now). Good times for sure. We were always packed. The tenderloin 'Nighthawk Special' was in demand but honestly there wasn't a lot of competition back then.
Was at UK those exact years. Went to the Limestone location all the time and occasionally the other ones. It was so good and they would serve beer without checking IDs. Could take a date and get out of there under $30 with meals and drinks.

Reactions: Ky_Bred_Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT