ADVERTISEMENT

Zags Fans Visiting - Hotel Recommendations?

Feb 6, 2024
Hi friends. My wife and I will be flying in to see the Zags first visit to Rupp. I was hoping you could point us in the right direction for a nice hotel. I found the Manchester using a quick google search, but the street view looks like it's in industrial area with not much to walk to. Can y'all recommend something that:

- Nice that I can treat my wife to,
- Is walkable and gives us a good taste of Lexington,
- Is within a few minutes Uber to Rupp?

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to experiencing Rupp!

Great time for opposing teams/fans to visit Rupp. The Rupp experience is somewhat different these days.

Hi friends. My wife and I will be flying in to see the Zags first visit to Rupp. I was hoping you could point us in the right direction for a nice hotel. I found the Manchester using a quick google search, but the street view looks like it's in industrial area with not much to walk to. Can y'all recommend something that:

Hyatt or Hilton, both connected to Rupp Arena. Eat at Tony's, Sawyers or Nick and Norman's. If you like to pregame hit up Lex Live across from the Hyatt.

Hyatt and Hilton aren't super fancy but are nice and super convenient with good accommodations.

Hyatt and Hilton are most convenient to the arena. Downtown Marriott is the newest of all downtown hotels and walkable to Rupp Arena and also has the high end Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse as part of the complex. As mentioned before, Tony's is another high end steakhouse right across from the arena and for my money, better food than Jeff Ruby's. For a more "Lexington" restaurant experience, Dudley's is a good choice and be sure to hit the Bluegrass Tavern for the largest selection of bourbon in KY.

All of these are located within a few block radius of one another. Check opentable.com for any decent restaurant reservations as it's the first of two weekends that sandwich Valentine's day and tables will be at a premium.

Reactions: Smashcat
Marriott & Residence at City Center are probably going to be your best bet. Im heading to game and had trouble reserving nearby restaurants after the game. Plenty of places between / around Rupp and Hotel that are all walkable, but will probably have to wait if you're planning directly after the game.

Pre-game, do yourself a favor and go to Lex Live or Hyatt Bar and get a beer (both are right next to arena). Best way to get the full UK game experience.

Our fans will enjoy sharing sob stories with you concerning both teams struggles.

Stay at the Hyatt Rupp Arena. Close to everything and nice place.
This ! No doubt about it.
The Hyatt lobby joins the Civic Center and Rupp Arena ... all under one roof. Some of the most fun and interesting pre-game action you'll see anywhere happens in the Hyatt lobby and spills out into the halls of the Civic Center in the couple of hours before tip off.

Reactions: KFuqua

The Manchester is new, is very nice and has a lot more character than the Hyatt or Hilton or the like. It's more like a boutique hotel and is only a few blocks from Rupp. The area looks industrial for a reason. It's the newly revitalized, historic, Distillery District and has a good assortment of dining, drinking and entertainment options right there.

Tony's and Jeff Ruby's are excellent steakhouses. I prefer Tony's food. Reservations can be hard to come by. There are numerous other eating options of varying price points within a few blocks of Rupp.

Since you will likely be somewhere near downtown, and if you have some time during the day and the weather is decent, have an Uber take you 10 miles or so out Old Frankfort Pike. You'll see some beautiful central KY countryside and horse farms. The thoroughbred horse industry is a big part of who we are. Another good option is the Kentucky Horse Park, only a few miles from downtown. And, of course, there are the numerous Bourbon Distilleries around Central KY but those are further outside of town. The closest one is Buffalo Trace, home to some of the most notable Bourbons there are. It's in Frankfort. It's also one of busiest and reservations are usually required for the tours but they will try to work walk-ins in if they can.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeoJ and CatPhight
The Manchester is new, is very nice and has a lot more character than the Hyatt or Hilton or the like. It's more like a boutique hotel and is only a few blocks from Rupp. The area looks industrial for a reason. It's the newly revitalized, historic, Distillery District and has a good assortment of dining, drinking and entertainment options right there.

Tony's and Jeff Ruby's are excellent steakhouses. I prefer Tony's food. Reservations can be hard to come by. There are numerous other eating options of varying price points within a few blocks of Rupp.

Since you will likely be somewhere near downtown, and if you have some time during the day and the weather is decent, have an Uber take you 10 miles or so out Old Frankfort Pike. You'll see some beautiful central KY countryside and horse farms. The thoroughbred horse industry is a big part of who we are. Another good option is the Kentucky Horse Park, only a few miles from downtown. And, of course, there are the numerous Bourbon Distilleries around Central KY but those are further outside of town. The closest one is Buffalo Trace, home to some of the most notable Bourbons there are. It's in Frankfort. It's also one of busiest and reservations are usually required for the tours but they will try to work walk-ins in if they can.
There's Buffalo Trace...and then there's everything else...

Reactions: Ky_Bred_Cat
Can someone explain the LexLive love to me? I was at the UT game this weekend and stopped in to take a look and it was a glorified movie theater food court with a bar and TVs.
You forgot bowling alley. Yeah thats all it was intended to be. Food is actually pretty good if you're lucky enough to get someone wait on you.

Lexington isn't all that big, and Rupp arena is literally in the center of town. So everything is a short Uber to the game except for traffic issues as game time nears.

No one has given you a bad food recommendation yet. And those are pretty much all adult places, i.e. not on campus, student hangouts. Which can sometimes have great food and experiences. Sometimes the exact opposite.

Personally, unless you're on a budget, I would try and stay at one of the 3 hotels right there (as mentioned above). For your first trip in, enjoy the game atmosphere, talk to a a lot fans, take it all in.

Maybe you'll like Lexington enough to come visit for the races, a bourbon tour, a trip to Mammoth Cave, or even some parties and a KY Derby!

Reactions: Catzman
Hit up the days-inn! Great place to stay. Don't forget to grab as many brochures as you can before you leave. And pick up lunch at my buddy Larry's backdoor. He's a real cook!

• Haha
Reactions: truckbrandon
Many good options here. Just have fun, downtown is typically walkable at night. Hope you enjoy the experience but hope we win the game. Both teams have had struggles this year. Should be interesting.

If you drink and don't want to drive stay at the Hyatt or Hilton. If not save money and stay on the outskirts. The Hyatt and Hilton is really killing people with their prices right now..

New Marriott downtown is where opposing teams and recruits stay. It’s the newest and nicest hotel and is very close to rupp.

The Ky Castle is not walkable but if you have not been to the Lexington area and want a once in a lifetime experience it's there. Doubtful you can get a room at this point. But it's worth finding out. Maybe take a tour if you can't get a room?

Do you like horses? Many of the farms have tours. I am part owner of a stallion at Spendthrift. The tours there are great but booked well in advance.

Hill N Dale is my favorite farm to visit though.

Try to grab brunch at Carson's. Might be impossible with Gonzaga in town.

Can someone explain the LexLive love to me? I was at the UT game this weekend and stopped in to take a look and it was a glorified movie theater food court with a bar and TVs.
LexLive is OK, not my favorite, and be careful when exiting the garage, because you can get stuck if you mess up (the gate won't let you out). The distillery district is not bad, and it's a short drive away from Rupp. Hyatt Rupp, or Hilton is your best bet if you do not want to drive a lot.

I enjoyed the convenience of Holiday Inn Express off Leestown Rd. when going to Keeneland and heading over to the Distillery District. Should be cheaper as well than downtown.

Reactions: flash123 and YouKay
Best part about Lex is you do not have to worry about anything. Really safe city, especially that part of town.

Hyatt Regency Lexington (attached to Rupp) is showing rooms available Friday and Saturday for $249/night right now. Book it now. Eat at Tony's across the street. Probably hard to get a reservation, but just sit at the bar. Well worth staying that close. If you have time to sight see, I'd recommend the horse park. Good breweries and distilleries not for as well.

Reactions: ZagsVisitor
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT