cawoodsct

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2006
82/15
Your personal favorites?

1) Bear & Butcher-
HAND-CUT BELGIAN FRIES Bacon & Creamy Sriracha

2) The Cellar-CHICKEN BACON RANCH Fries smothered in diced chicken, bacon bits and queso

3)GRAZE-
Carolina Fries
Smoked pork shoulder, kale slaw, queso blanco, bbq sauce

4)RAFFERTY’S-
Cheese Fries
Hand-cut French Fries smothered with melted Monterey Jack & Cheddar cheeses, hot chopped bacon and chives. Served with spicy ranch dressing.

Reactions: -Mav-
CBR Fries at The Cellar are :fire:

I'll occasionally pick them up on the way home on Friday nights if we're staying in.

For just plain fries, Five Guys extra crispy.

Reactions: cawoodsct
Your personal favorites?

1) Bear & Butcher-

2) The Cellar-CHICKEN BACON RANCH Fries smothered in diced chicken, bacon bits and queso

3)GRAZE-
Carolina Fries

4)RAFFERTY’S-
Cheese Fries
Hand-cut French Fries smothered with melted Monterey Jack & Cheddar cheeses, hot chopped bacon and chives. Served with spicy ranch dressing.

Those are app's...not fries. You can take a 10 day old bag of fries from Speedway and cover them in all that stuff and you wouldn't know the difference.

Currently...

Lyles BBQ - skinnier than McDonald’s but bigger than Steak and Shake. Perfectly seasoned.

Penn Station - flash fried. Delicious.

Canes has a good krinkle fry, but there is a very small window before they become a soggy mess on the way home. Same with City BBQ’s flash fried.

Freddy’s are good too.

Not available here any more, but I could eat a good pound and a half of GD Ritzy’s.

McDonald's ftw.

For hand cut fries, I'm pretty sure they're all alike. Never really been able to tell the difference between Penn Station, Five Guys, Great Steak & Potato Co., etc. All great though. But not McDonald's.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
I like about any fry with plenty of salt. Except the shoestring variety, don't really care for them.

Sweet Potato
tenor.gif

Your personal favorites?

1) Bear & Butcher-

3)GRAZE-
Carolina Fries

4)RAFFERTY’S-
Cheese Fries
Sweet potato...

I love Lyle's but I'm afraid the failure of their Southern restaurant is going to bleed out the BBQ restaurant, they're still on the hook for a pretty hefty lease.

I love Lyle's but I'm afraid the failure of their Southern restaurant is going to bleed out the BBQ restaurant, they're still on the hook for a pretty hefty lease.
It was closed before I had a chance to get to Southland Drive. Gotta be some kind of record.

Fries are one of the more overrated food items I can think of... would rather have a 2nd burger, or pair the burger with a chicken sandwich.

* Epping's disco fries : Hand cut fries, house cured and smoked pastrami, mornay, Adobo BBQ, pickles, tomato, green onion.

*Penn Station's fries with malt vinegar.

*Burger N Shake's fries are killer.

Mainstream fries....

MCD (stock ticker symbol for McDonalds) = OK goto in a pinch. Excellent quality control across the network.

WEN (stock ticker symbol for Wendy's) = thicker and better cooked than MCD, depending on fryer + restaurant. Suspect oil (read: grease) quality not uniform across franchises.

Forget Arby's. Garbage. I want fried potatoes rather than added crap.

Culver's = awesome when fresh. Texture degrades considerably upon cooling.

Five Guy's = somewhat too thin. Overly salted, at least in Key West. Austin Five Guy's on Guadalupe near UTexas campus experienced issues. Hence, closure. Cajun restaurant there now.

Plucker's: compliments their monster chicken wings quite nicely.

Zaxby's = great when fresh. Utter crap after cooling.

Raising Canes = similar to Zaxby's. More robust serving. Also crap when cooled.

Key to great fries is perfect crispness IMMEDIATELY upon service and very slight cooling. Mix up your basic toppings (Ketchup and Mayo). Go adventurous (horseradish, soy sauce, quality ranch, guac, etc.) with quality hot fries. Thank me later.

Mainstream fries....

MCD (stock ticker symbol for McDonalds) = OK goto in a pinch. Excellent quality control across the network.

WEN (stock ticker symbol for Wendy's) = thicker and better cooked than MCD, depending on fryer + restaurant. Suspect oil (read: grease) quality not uniform across franchises.

Five Guy's = somewhat too thin. Overly salted, at least in Key West. Austin Five Guy's on Guadalupe near UTexas campus experienced issues. Hence, closure. Cajun restaurant there now.

Key to great fries is perfect crispness IMMEDIATELY upon service and very slight cooling. Mix up your basic toppings (Ketchup and Mayo). Go adventurous (horseradish, soy sauce, quality ranch, guac, etc.) with quality hot fries. Thank me later.
McD’s are ok while hot. Garbage once they cool down. The oil has a bad taste.

Wendy’s had the best fries. High quality, fluffy potatoes. Then they went with these things covered in eyes and skin. Added sea salt to make them seem gourmet. Maybe the worst fries of any chain.

Culver’s- these rate near the top for me.

Arby’s- curly fries were cool in the 80’s.

Best fries in my book - home fries. Big thick wedges of potatoes fried to a light golden brown. Edges so crispy and a nice fluffy potato inside. Heavily salted.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Mainstream fries....

The key to a great fries is double-fry process and surface area. Fry potato once, let dry out and cool off, then fry again.

you’re looking for a snappy crisp outer shell with light & creamy mashed potato center. Immediately after emerging from oil, a liberal salting.

when serving with fish, a dash or two of malt vinegar is primo.

Any fry served with a semblance of potato skin is unacceptable, except to folks who like to eat brown paper bags.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
about 30 years ago, there was this little dive in Morehead. I think it was called "Jimbo's Big Boy". Maybe the best hamburger I've ever eaten. Mind you, I don't like a hamburger unless there's enough grease to drip down your chin.
For fries, he'd take one of those huge baking potatoes and mash it through one of those hand powered french fry making things. The potatoes and wedges that came our were about 4-6 inches long. He'd dump the whole thing, peel and all in the fryer.
When they came out they had a crispy layer but were soft in the middle....and boy did they have that delicious grease.
Sounds good right now.

Plain fries are boring.
The best chain fries are Red Robin.
The best in Louisville are Burger Boy and Burger Girl. I keep hearing their chili cheese fries are great but I just have to get the regulars because they're so good and I don't get there very often.

Ollie's Trolley in OTR. They are seasoned to perfection.

But almost any crinkle cut fits the bill.

For chains, City Barbeque is similar to Penn Station and also solid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT