BlueWorldOrder

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2004
How about a change of topic?

Other than some of the obvious ones we all know

Down 31 vs. LSU
Down 17? vs. Duke in NCAA Tourney in 98
The Arkansas Victory in the SEC Tourney in OT.

What your most memorable Come from Behind Victory in your lifetime?

This would be a game being down big looking like we had no chance to win and somehow pulled out the victory.

One of mine happened recently, last season last game of regular season @ Florida.. believe we were down double digits late in the 2nd half and came back and won by one

Down 31 vs. LSU

This would be a game being down big looking like we had no chance to win and somehow pulled out the victory.

One of mine happened recently, last season last game of regular season @ Florida.. believe we were down double digits late in the 2nd half and came back and won by one
Down by 18 with 10 minutes to go in the 2nd half, no Hagans, Maxey was shooting badly, and Quickley fouled out

1998 Southeast Regional, down to Duke by 17 points with 9:30 left in the game. Cats come from behind and win over one of our most biter rivals. Then, Cats come from behind in the next two games in the Final Four to beat Stanford and Utah (down by 10 at the half) to win the national title. Fortunately, I was able to see the Final Four that year in San Antonio, one of my most enjoyable weeks as a UK fan.

All of these mentioned are so memorable, it’s hard for me to pick a favorite.

Going way back to 1997, I remember when we rallied from 22 down to beat Vanderbilt. (This article called that team after the win the “Comeback Cats,” although this would be the team’s nickname the next season:) ) https://www.kentucky.com/news/databases/article43976703.html

The magical NCAA run in 2014 had some thrillers, for sure! The 2014 Sweet Sixteen win against Louisville, after having been down 13, was glorious! Grateful to have witnessed it in person. My avatar is of the final scoreboard. https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ntucky-wildcats-louisville-cardinals/7028533/

Fun memories!

Last edited:
I was working 2nd shift for the LSU comeback. I taped it on my VCR to watch when I got home. I started watching it and got so upset I threw my VCR remote and busted it(so childish I know) but somehoe it still worked. I ended up getting upset and turned it off.
I turned to ESPN because they would play Sportscenter over and over at that time when ESPN was watchable. They started playing the UK-LSU highlights and then started talking about historic comebacks. When they said UK came back and won, I immediately turned my VCR back on and finished watching the game in disbelief. Just amazing comeback.

2017 vs Vandy at Rupp. Came back from 20 down to win.

Special because that was one of my sons first games and his excitement during the comeback was something I’ll never forget.

Forgot about that one.

A great game for your son to witness

ESPN cut away during LSU game. Idiots.

Duke in 98.

One people won't talk about that deserves mentioning was during Rex's freshman year when Tennessee had Kentucky down about 10 with a minute to go. That was an impressive comeback. That team never really did anything special beyond the Louisville game.

March, 1976. Last home game ever played in Memorial Coliseum.
Cats 94 - Miss State 93......in Overtime!

Cats trailed by like - I don't know - 7 or 8 points with like 1:05 remaining. Remember, there was no 3-point shot back then.

HUGE comeback win! And it was Senior Night no less!
I think Jack Givens had almost 30 points, and big Mike Phillips was ejected. A flagrant foul or something.
And there was a some-certain dude on that Miss. State team by the name of Joe Dean.
Joe Dean, Jr., who would be an assistant to Joe B. some two years later!
The Miss. State radio team was so jubilant near the end of the game that they sent a dude down to the Miss. State bench to interview players as the final minute played out. Bet they wish they hadn't done that!!!

Next stop that season: New York City, Madison Square Garden and, eventually, Champions of the NIT!

Down 12 at the half to Duke in the Sugar Bowl Tourn. in New Orleans. Duke had 2 7's and an All American to boot. We came back to win in the second half.
Is this the game you are referring to. I remember it like yesterday. I think it may have snowed in New Orleans too. Terry Mobley was the hero with that shot.

enhance

Last edited:
Is this the game you are referring to. I remember it like yesterday. I think it may have snowed in New Orleans too. Terry Moberly was the hero with that shot.

enhance
🧐Yes, thought they were down 12. Duke had 2 players (Jay Buckley and Hack Tyson) who were 7' and both started and a guy named Bob Vega (I think) Doing this off the top of my head and it has been a while ago

Reactions: Sawnee Cat

Cats trailed by like - I don't know - 7 or 8 points with like 1:05 remaining. Remember, there was no 3-point shot back then.

I think Jack Givens had almost 30 points, and big Mike Phillips was ejected. A flagrant foul or something.
And there was a some-certain dude on that Miss. State team by the name of Joe Dean.
The Miss. State radio team was so jubilant near the end of the game that they sent a dude down to the Miss. State bench to interview players as the final minute played out. Bet they wish they hadn't done that!!!

Next stop that season: New York City, Madison Square Garden and, eventually, Champions of the NIT!

This was also a great one. Like you I was at that game.

Reactions: VA/UK
January 2003. Kentucky at Vanderbilt. Cats down by I think 15 st one point in the first half and THEN put THE CLAMP on them in the second half and won going away. Vanderbilt was so visibly shook they could barely get the ball across mid court. One of the key moments in the 26 game winning streak.

JB

Kansas in Rupp, a game I left with a minute to go because the weather was horrible and I had to drive all night back to Florida. I took my 6 year old son and he never forgave me for leaving early and missing out on the great comeback for the win

The best KS comeback was December 1978; down 6 pts with 30 seconds. Anderson and Macy the heroes. Never call timeout when you don't have one.

We've had some doozies. Can't say any of the top five were any better than the others because I was jumping up and down for all of them. Would have loved to add the 2017 loss to UNC to this list...down seven with a minute to go....but someone forgot to cover Luke Maye.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
February 22, 1975. 5th ranked Alabama vs 7th ranked Kentucky at Tuscaloosa. UK trailed Bama at halftime in a nationally televised game. Coach Hall had benched Grevey in the first half and some of the second half. Grevey led the comeback. That game got them on the roll that they went on until they lost to UCLA in the national championship. They did lose two days later at Florida, but I credited that to hangover from the Bama game.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
2/12/87. Cats trailed by 10 with 1:13 to go against UT at Rupp. Chapman drove the length of the court to tie it and take the game into OT with the Cats winning in OT. I was just a kid who would take a nap before the tape delay and wake up to watch it at 10:30 PM on a school night. I was ready to head to bed and my dad (who had already listened to Cawood and Hacker’s call live) suggested I might want to stick around. I was glad I did.

1998 Southeast Regional, down to Duke by 17 points with 9:30 left in the game. Cats come from behind and win over one of our most biter rivals. Then, Cats come from behind in the next two games in the Final Four to beat Stanford and Utah (down by 10 at the half) to win the national title. Fortunately, I was able to see the Final Four that year in San Antonio, one of my most enjoyable weeks as a UK fan.
Tubby’s coaching was the key

Reactions: Fast3ddy
I was born in 86 so i didn't really get into basketball until 92 with the unforgettables. So Duke in 92 broke my heart.

Obviously Duke in 98 immediately comes to mind.

Others that are my favorites was at Vandy in 03 when the switch completely flipped at halftime. Both of my parents went to bed, they thought i was lying when i woke them up to tell them what happened.
Louisville in 04 when Sparks went nuts.
Louisville in 14 sweet 16.
WVU in 18
Florida last year

I remember thinking that God would not let us lose the last game in the old court.Great comeback, MSU had at least three turnovers .

Down 31 vs. LSU

We got down by 17, didn't we?

UK @ Louisville in 2004-05 season. Down 32-16 at half... still down 10 points with 4-5 minutes to go... Patrick Sparks gets fouled on the three in the last seconds and makes all three at the line to win it, 60-58. I was on the last row in Freedom Hall proudly wearing blue.
Pat carried us that entire second half for the eventual win!

2017 vs Vandy at Rupp. Came back from 20 down to win.

Special because that was one of my sons first games and his excitement during the comeback was something I’ll never forget.
We got down by 17, didn't we?

I was right behind scorer’s table for that game and John Higgins T’d up Calipari late in the game while we were getting beat pretty good. I was on TV yelling and telling Higgins he was a POS. Little did I know he would screw us again a few weeks later in the Elite 8.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT