ADVERTISEMENT

Your Emotions the Day After

That doesnt make any sense. Noone said this program doesnt need fans. Fans just need to realize who we are and where we were 5 years ago.

From wku laughing at us to back to back 7 win seasons. There is alot of room for improvement. But lets not act as if there isnt tons of improvement already.

Cupcakes? We beat an 8 win team and a handful of 7 win teams.

EKU was the only cupcake we had. Final record wise, UT is too. But uk fans can never consider ut a cupcake
Our strength of schedule proves that your dead wrong on this post. Historically this is one of the weakest seasons for the SEC east. It's not always going to stay that way. I hope that Florida and Tennessee hire bad coaches but I'm not so sure that will happen. We're on year 5 with one of the highest paid coaches in college football and we still aren't very good. We have new facilities, better recruiting, etc. The pieces of the puzzle were there for us to have a special season considering how weak this schedule was and we didn't take advantage of it. I've noticed a select few bragging about 7 wins but what those that do so refuse to admit how bad our schedule was. Factor in there how we got dominated by Bobby Petrino and his staff yesterday. I HATE losing to them. Our team was the most classless team on the field yesterday and that's a damn shame. I expected to see that more out of the dirty cardinals. Still shocked about that.

Has our roster improved? Absolutely it has. I love that we have a winning record against South Carolina. Our coaching staff is excellent at scouting players as well. Not all Stoops has done here is bad by any means. Hell one of my happiest wins as a fan was when we upset Louisville last year.

The thing that worries me is when the schedule strength increases how will our staff respond? I wanna see us move forward and not go backwards like we have historically. With Stoops contract we have to hope that he works out because he probably won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Reactions: mikeinpikeville
Very disappointed in the lack of character shown by the Cats.
Disgusted the coaches didn't discipline the players.
Dumbfounded a defensive coordinator can become a head coach and the defense come unraveled.
Discouraged that this meltdown comes on senior day, with a bowl coming, and recruits watching.
So....disappointed, disgusted, dumbfounded, discouraged.

Not what I want to be feeling end of a season.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
It was such a thumping from the kickoff that is wasn’t even depressed. The two losses in 14 and 15 were gut wrenching because we could’ve won.
This one was pretty much pure disgust.

I am an optimist but I wonder if our ceiling is 7-5.

He isnt a genuis. Has tons of things id love for him to improve. Im still undecided on him. Makes tons of dumb mistakes.

But he also pulled us out of the toilet. 5 years ago, uk fans prayed to be in contention for a bowl every year. Here we are, and a few plays away from 9 wins.

We are in better position than we hoped for. Yet fans want to run him out of town. It doesnt make sense.
Stoops isn't a hero. Any halfway decent coach could have done the same. It's not like we're sitting on a secret gold mine and hoping the rest of the college football world doesn't discover him. We're STUCK with him. Thanks, Mitch.

I have been all in with this staff, but the defense and discipline issues have to be fixed. He will be here for the next 2 years and we may see the record next year recede somewhat. 2019 is the make or break for Stoops. But what do I know, I'm a UK and Browns fan.....

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
After decades of being long-suffering UK football fan, I don't get that invested anymore to the point where I have a hangover the next day. More philosophical than upset.

And you have to give some credit to Lamar Jackson. It was a very difficult game for him. I don't think most fans realize how hard it is to look downfield and see 3/4 guys running wide open and have to make a quick decision on which one to throw it to. Heck, every time they huddled back up you had at least two guys complaining to him that they were wide open.

Anytime your running back get's over 200 yards and you still lose by 27 you know you've had a REALLY bad game everywhere else. In retrospect it's obvious that they have been concealing Johnson's injuries. He was not his same self yesterday and it was apparent by the play calling that looked puzzling at times. Yea I'm still upset but at least I can understand some of the reasons for the outcome a little better.

In retrospect the season was not nearly as bad as this game would make you think. We had a very good game @ South Carolina beating a team that is now 8-4, we played extremely well against Vandy in all phases. We beat UT, and played winning football against Florida but lost due to some flukes. Missouri turned out to be better than advertised so that win looks better now than it did at the time. OTOH he had really bad outings against Georgia, MSU and Louisville.

As the curtain falls on year 5 of Stoops, I think the jury is still out. But one thing stands out, they must take some serious action to upgrade this defense during the off season. IMO they have no other choice but to bring in the best DC they can find and pay him according. It's simply not going anywhere under House.
No UofL punts yesterday. Enough said.

No we do not score on nearly every possession are you serious?? We punt more than we score. Your delusional. If your 103rd in offense you don't score on every possession.

Youre looking at total offense. Like i said before, thats skewed by us having one of the lowest snap counts in the nation. Our offensive efficiency is excellent. Our red zone efficiency is unbelievable.

The answer to your question is your first two sentences. We have better quality athletes but they are poorly coached. He has had tons to improve upon since he became head coach yet he hasn't shown any capability to make those improvements. Made a lot of dumb mistakes in year 1 and those same dumb mistakes are made in year 5.

He simply isn't head coach material and no matter how much we all wish he were he simply isn't. Give him all the time in the world but it isn't going to change that fact.

So weve improved alot, yet havent improved at all?

The caliber of athletes improved? Howd that happen? They just take it upon themselves to come to uk? We are recruiting at a much higher level than ever.

Yes still mistakes and lots of them. But we are waaaaay better off than 5 years ago.

Our strength of schedule proves that your dead wrong on this post. Historically this is one of the weakest seasons for the SEC east.

False. The names dont have the sex appeal, but the quality is still there. Georgia will probably be the favorite to win the sec title. Usc has 8 wins. Mizzou with 7 and on fire after their bye.

Just because the names at the top arent the usual suspects doesnt mean they arent good.

Stoops isn't a hero. Any halfway decent coach could have done the same. It's not like we're sitting on a secret gold mine and hoping the rest of the college football world doesn't discover him. We're STUCK with him. Thanks, Mitch.

Funny thing. Weve had "halfway decent" coaches and we were still in the cellar. Stoops is moving in the right direction. Just not as fast as wed like.

Missouri and USCjr improved greatly throughout the season. We could not beat either one of those teams today. That's very telling.

We played usc at their place in front of an unhinged crowd and was a game they had circled on their calendar all year long. They were also at full strength at the time. We won by 2 scores.

We played mizzou after their bye week that changed their season.

So in reality, we played both those teams at the peak of their seasons and still won.

And you have to give some credit to Lamar Jackson. It was a very difficult game for him. I don't think most fans realize how hard it is to look downfield and see 3/4 guys running wide open and have to make a quick decision on which one to throw it to. Heck, every time they huddled back up you had at least two guys complaining to him that they were wide open.

Now that is funny, made me LOL.

Feel the same way you do, just numb to the beat downs after all these years. It surely seems to be a given that Louisville will have a better QB and better coach than we do, been that way ever since they hired Schnellenberger.

Reactions: santamaria78
[QUOTE="bigblueinsanity, post: 6365911, member: 696"

The caliber of athletes improved? Howd that happen? They just take it upon themselves to come to uk? We are recruiting at a much higher level than ever.

Yes still mistakes and lots of them. But we are waaaaay better off than 5 years ago.[/QUOTE]

I don't think there is anyone here who has not credited Stoops and his staff for the massive upgrade in recruiting. For that he gets all the credit in the world but you still have to coach that talent and improve it while it's here within a team concept. This is where he is failing miserably as his teams as a whole never look properly prepared and the likes of EKU have had realistic chances of beating is in both years 3 and 5 of his tenure. Do you not think our recruiting is better than what EKU gets to play with?

In retrospect it's obvious that they have been concealing Johnson's injuries. He was not his same self yesterday and it was apparent by the play calling that looked puzzling at times. Yea I'm still upset but at least I can understand some of the reasons for the outcome a little better.
I have no reason to doubt your accuracy on this. So why not recognize them & give someone a shot? Are the coaches that afraid of the alternatives?

Sure he will. He's PAID UP. Stoops could go 0-12 next season and he's not going anywhere.

Let that sink in.
I said the exact same thing to someone last night. It won’t be until after the 2019 season that he gets fired - with a coaching record that will look eerily similar to his brother Mike’s, just not quite as good as Mike’s.
This is a good comment and one I feel is very prophetic. In the near term, unless major changes are made defensively, Mark would likely return to DC status for another program. I’m quite sure there are some serious conversations forthcoming between AD and his head coach.

Still extremely disappointed. I knew a loss to UL would dampen the whole season. 8-4 or 9-3 was there for the taking....

A loss to UL was unacceptable. You have to win that game at home or you start losing the Fan Base.

We could have been sitting pretty with a win over UL and going to a bowl game at 8-4.

Now, nobody cares. People are angry and should be after that pathetic drubbing yesterday.

In addition, Haynes' tweet really disturbs me only because I've sensed that for a while. I don't think coaches like House, Clinkscale, Thomas, etc. really care at all about being at UK.

I think Stoops, Gran, Morrow, and some others actually like being at UK.

Stoops may just be doing the best he can....He may not be a D1 coach as much as I want him to succeed here.

I ran into Stoops and his wife and kids in Florida couple years back. Seemed like a very nice guy and family. He took time to chat a minute and take a photo with me.

the answer is simple........... fire barnhart and for the next 10 years hire a half trained monkey to do the same job barnhart was doing and suddenly you freed up enough cash to get rid of stoops and hire a smarter coach.
Wouldn’t a half trained monkey qualify as a “smarter coach”?

I have read two people so far say that they are still undecided about stoops after 5 years. Do they know ridiculous that is? If you don’t know what you have after 5 years then, I hate to break it to you, but what you got sucks. He is what he is at this point.

He has all his players, no more joker excuses. He will continue to recruit at the same level he has been, which is better than ever but he can’t develop them.

He is a conservative defense coach who will micromanage his offensive and defensive coordinators and will very rarely take any chances.

How you feeling? Any better? Did sleep help?
sad-cat.gif

Agree with all that. We had some really good wins. The names just didnt have the sex appeal fans wanted.

USC was a great win for this program. Mizzou, UT, South Miss, were all good wins.

Mizzou has the best qb in the sec and a probable 1st round pick. South miss was on the road against a good team that spent all summer preparing for us. UT has some sort of voodoo over us, and their coaches back was against the wall.

We are moving in the right direction. Plenty of things to correct, but can be done. Stoops found the right OC to get us over those 2nd half of the season collapses. Now he needs to find a different DC, or retake playcalling for the defense (i prefer the latter).

Wish our fans werent so fickle as we can ill afford to drive off a coach that has us in the best chance to compete annually.

44-17 embarrassment to our in state rival. Last game of the season. I think you may have forgotten already

Also, UL completely owns us the last several years in football.

But sure , let’s pretend Mizzou and USC are some great “recruiting fodder” wins lol

I have no reason to doubt your accuracy on this. So why not recognize them & give someone a shot? Are the coaches that afraid of the alternatives?

That decision would be above my pay grade, but I can only assume that since it was UofL, that an 80% Johnson was their best hope over someone who hasn't played any this year. But as an aside, it is unfortunate that we couldn't get any reps to speak of, for the backup(s) this year.

Reactions: Freetaxreturn
44-17 embarrassment to our in state rival. Last game of the season. I think you may have forgotten already

Also, UL completely owns us the last several years in football.

But sure , let’s pretend Mizzou and USC are some great “recruiting fodder” wins lol

We beat ul last year. Mizzou and usc were good wins. 7 and 8 wins sec teams.

No disputing that

You aren’t very bright when it comes to football.

Thsts the best you can do?

I felt numb after the game, same as some of the other games this season. Even when we won, I didn't feel highly excited like I would have in the past. My head tells me I should be giddy with 7-5. That's a high mark by Ky standards, but my heart is disappointed, which of course is nothing new to a long time Ky Football fan.

Looking at the crowd, or lack of the crowd, I find myself thinking that the sports love of my life is rapidly declining. Yesterday's ul game had to have been the least attended since the series began. In twenty years, you won't see an average of 25 K at a Football game.

We've tried all kinds of coaches. We had guys that had never even coached at a D1 level; we've had a guy that coached at a very high level and was successful at Bama. He couldn't get it done at Ky. In fact, the best we've had was Brooks and we lucked into him as he was a last resort. IMO, CMS may be the best we can get. His 7-5 may be the best we can do..maybe an 8-4 occasionally.

I never thought I'd say it, but I've ridden this horse long enough. There are other, better, more meaningful, productive ways to spend Saturday afternoons.

Youre looking at total offense. Like i said before, thats skewed by us having one of the lowest snap counts in the nation. Our offensive efficiency is excellent. Our red zone efficiency is unbelievable.

Yes still mistakes and lots of them. But we are waaaaay better off than 5 years ago.

False. The names dont have the sex appeal, but the quality is still there. Georgia will probably be the favorite to win the sec title. Usc has 8 wins. Mizzou with 7 and on fire after their bye.

Just because the names at the top arent the usual suspects doesnt mean they arent good.

Funny thing. Weve had "halfway decent" coaches and we were still in the cellar. Stoops is moving in the right direction. Just not as fast as wed like.

We played usc at their place in front of an unhinged crowd and was a game they had circled on their calendar all year long. They were also at full strength at the time. We won by 2 scores.

We played mizzou after their bye week that changed their season.

So in reality, we played both those teams at the peak of their seasons and still won.
Our strength of schedule is in the 60s. The SEC east only has one team ranked in the top 25. Someone posted South Carolina being ranked but that isnt true on the AP or Coaches poll. Worst Florida team that they have had in who knows how many years. A Tennessee team that is terrible. A terrible Vanderbilt team. Facts negate your point but nice try.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT