ADVERTISEMENT

You can only laugh at this

In no world could Edwards play as a 2, not In high school and definitely not in college. Our team defense sucked many years in a row. That shows a lack of game planning by the coaches. Just because Cason Wallace was a good individual defender doesn’t mean that the coaches did their job. You don’t have that many different players over 5 years and struggle with the same things without it being coaching. This has been broken down many times and shown exactly why we struggled. It was how we were taught to cover screens , and the way our big men always went for blocks.
Why couldn't he? He is a pretty good shooter, particularly from deep. He is quick, with a nice first step. He isn't an awful ball-handler for his size. Not really sure why he can't play the 2 in your world. He likely will play some 2 at the next level as well.

If you search Edwards on Google, it literally lists him as a small forward/shooting guard.

Also, UK athletics seems to list him as a guard.

We haven't had a team close to as bad as this team was defensively. They finished the season ranked 109 in Kenpom adj Def. Even the Bj Boston team was 35th. You don't need a top 25 D to be good and contend, but you can’t be as bad as we were last year, unless you go on a miracle run.

I listed Cason Wallace in response to the Freshman can’t play defense statement. Yes, they can. And they can be quite good. This years just weren't. That's not even debatable.

We sucked because we had players either unwilling or unable to defend. It's really not that difficult to understand.

Last edited:
Stat mentioned on KSR after the Oakland loss: There were 34 lineups Cal put on the court last year that played at least 40 possessions together. The starting lineup ranked 33/34 in offensive efficiency, and yet, game after game, Cal kept throwing them out there.

I'm convinced it was all intentional just so he could stick it to BBN. We've all been saying for the last three seasons that certain guys needed to sit and others needed the majority of minutes when it was clear who the best players were, and yet, he did the exact opposite just because it was the fans and local media clamoring for the coach to play the guys who were producing.
Cal’s line-up shuffle was the stuff of nightmares. He lost us so many games because by refusing to stick with a lineup for more that 10 minutes

You really shouldn't have to game plan much for a team like 23-12 Oakland. It's not like the players didn't know Gohlke takes a lot of 3's and can get hot if you leave him open. Do you really think they didn't know that?

Yet, they were able to beat so many better teams all throughout the season and earn themselves a #3 seed. Yet, somehow, they couldn't beat Oakland because if the "game planning".
Canadian Lol GIF
He said he didnt prepare for gohlke bc in the one game he watched he didnt make any shots. And didnt prepare for zone. He doesnt watch tape he doesnt do gameplans. Its coaching malpractice

He said he didnt prepare for gohlke bc in the one game he watched he didnt make any shots. And didnt prepare for zone. He doesnt watch tape he doesnt do gameplans. Its coaching malpractice
What exactly do you think needed to be game planned for?

Gohlke is one of the higher volume 3pt shooters in the country. Everyone knew this. He shoots a ton whether he makes them or not. Logic should dictate to anyone that you have to guard him. I really don't think that's something you have to convey too heavily to someone.

You all are acting like our players were clueless morons incapable of figuring this out. Yet, the same staff and players, using the same philosophy, was able to beat AU, Bama, UT, UNC and many other teams much better than Oakland.

Lol, I don't think a zone would really help contain the 3pt barrage from Gohlke.

Don't worry we have a new "3" headed monster coming in.

Jaxson, Brea, and Krissa are going to hit a ton of 3's. Carr, Ansley, Oweh, Butler, Chandler, Noah and Perry will be firing from deep too. The thing is we don't have frosh in key positions that are bricking (DJ/Edwards) most of those shots this year. Pope got proven 40ish perc shooting in there 4th and 5th year taking those shots.
And knows how to screen them properly and spread them out

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
What exactly do you think needed to be game planned for?

Gohlke is one of the higher volume 3pt shooters in the country. Everyone knew this. He shoots a ton whether he makes them or not. Logic should dictate to anyone that you have to guard him. I really don't think that's something you have to convey too heavily to someone.

You all are acting like our players were clueless morons incapable of figuring this out. Yet, the same staff and players, using the same philosophy, was able to beat AU, Bama, UT, UNC and many other teams much better than Oakland.

Lol, I don't think a zone would really help contain the 3pt barrage from Gohlke.
Well let's listen to what he said himself about UK's defense. Maybe not word for word precisely what he said was- I couldn't understand why they kept letting me get to the same spots over and over. When I get in a rhythm, and get to that same spot at the same time I'm usually not going to miss( shooters rhythm)Most teams at least try to put someone else there in the way of me getting to that same spot but CAL made absolutely no defensive adjustments whatsoever. Oh yeah, and Dillingham also said coach gave us no defensive instructions to adapt to the onslaught either( sorry it ABSOLUTELY is his job)Last time I checked, coach is in control of who's on the floor and where they are if they want playtime. Oakland was setting double screens for him, and our defenders failed to get through the screen barely at all and no one else offered any help on the other side of the screen where Jack's hotspot was. That's exactly what pope was going over in his mic'd up practice in the other thread where he sang help early recover early, that's exactly what we needed in that case and Pope knows how to do that and Calipari does not. I can go into a lot more specifics but this post is getting long and let's face it Calipari is accountable whether he or anybody else wants him to not be or not.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Stratford
Well let's listen to what he said himself about UK's defense. Maybe not word for word precisely what he said was- I couldn't understand why they kept letting me get to the same spots over and over. When I get in a rhythm, and get to that same spot at the same time I'm usually not going to miss( shooters rhythm)Most teams at least try to put someone else there in the way of me getting to that same spot but CAL made absolutely no defensive adjustments whatsoever. Oh yeah, and Dillingham also said coach gave us no defensive instructions to adapt to the onslaught either( sorry it ABSOLUTELY is his job)Last time I checked, coach is in control of who's on the floor and where they are if they want playtime. Oakland was setting double screens for him, and our defenders failed to get through the screen barely at all and no one else offered any help on the other side of the screen where Jack's hotspot was. That's exactly what pope was going over in his mic'd up practice in the other thread where he sang help early recover early, that's exactly what we needed in that case and Pope knows how to do that and Calipari does not. I can go into a lot more specifics but this post is getting long and let's face it Calipari is accountable whether he or anybody else wants him to not be or not.
Lol, Pope, who has never won a tournament game. I wouldn't be so convinced he can do these things until he proves it. Or, was he just not making adjustments when his teams lost?

We lost because we applied poor effort to defense, which is pretty much the reason for all of our losses this year. Playing defense against Oakland isn't that difficult. It's why they were a 14 seed. There really didn't need to be a ton of scouting or strategy. Don't let Gohlke get hot from 3. Just ask NC st.

We had applied similar strategies against UNC, Bama, Auburn, TN and several other teams that were much better than Oakland, and we managed that just fine. Yet, for some of you all, our poor players had just never faced a juggernaut like Oakland and they needed the coaches on the floor directing them where to go at all times. 2 of them are going to be lottery picks, another 2 will likely be 2nd rd picks, but by God, according to posters here, they need advanced defensive strategies to beat Oakland. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: BigBlueTrue75
Lol, Pope, who has never won a tournament game. I wouldn't be so convinced he can do these things until he proves it. Or, was he just not making adjustments when his teams lost?

We lost because we applied poor effort to defense, which is pretty much the reason for all of our losses this year. Playing defense against Oakland isn't that difficult. It's why they were a 14 seed. There really didn't need to be a ton of scouting or strategy. Don't let Gohlke get hot from 3. Just ask NC st.

We had applied similar strategies against UNC, Bama, Auburn, TN and several other teams that were much better than Oakland, and we managed that just fine. Yet, for some of you all, our poor players had just never faced a juggernaut like Oakland and they needed the coaches on the floor directing them where to go at all times. 2 of them are going to be lottery picks, another 2 will likely be 2nd rd picks, but by God, according to posters here, they need advanced defensive strategies to beat Oakland. 🤣
Yup, just argue with the assessment of NBA analysts, while using shame tactics to boot!!! Who was Harley 4 years ago, Self was nobody till he got to a good school, it's schools that make coaches as well. I'm not going to repeat myself as to your question about adjustments, your desperation to idealize cow is showing, and the reason why. You won't even let Jack himself explain to you why after he said it. Head in sand is great till the storm comes. In this modern game you absolutely do need defensive strategies to beat sharpshooters, and I hold your defense accountable.
Oh and by the way a super uncomfortable truth is that MUSSELMAN did better for the last 5 years at Arkansas than Calipari did at Kentucky😂😂😂😂😂
Pope had better metrics than cow last year, and that was in his first year in the best conference in the nation while still winning against NC State, Kansas and Kansas State( who have de balled cow twice in said 5 year period😂)
Ignore also the specific details about the double screens and early help, hedging, and early recovery that would have got defense to the hotspot Jack was using faster( Pope was teaching this in his first practice, and Cow hasn't taught it in 15 years)

Well, here we are again Tard McFurguson me tearing you a new asshole open with specifics and getting into too much depth about it.
One last straw, five fifth year seniors and three multiple year defensive player of the Year winners and one through 10 shooting an average of 41.2% from deep is an ENORMOUS upgrade from an all Mormon squad that still beat Kansas when Cow couldn't with the top 3 college shooters.

Yup, just argue with the assessment of NBA analysts, while using shame tactics to boot!!! Who was Harley 4 years ago, Self was nobody till he got to a good school, it's schools that make coaches as well. I'm not going to repeat myself as to your question about adjustments, your desperation to idealize cow is showing, and the reason why. You won't even let Jack himself explain to you why after he said it. Head in sand is great till the storm comes. In this modern game you absolutely do need defensive strategies to beat sharpshooters, and I hold your defense accountable.
Oh and by the way a super uncomfortable truth is that MUSSELMAN did better for the last 5 years at Arkansas than Calipari did at Kentucky😂😂😂😂😂
Pope had better metrics than cow last year, and that was in his first year in the best conference in the nation while still winning against NC State, Kansas and Kansas State( who have de balled cow twice in said 5 year period😂)
Ignore also the specific details about the double screens and early help, hedging, and early recovery that would have got defense to the hotspot Jack was using faster( Pope was teaching this in his first practice, and Cow hasn't taught it in 15 years)

Well, here we are again Tard McFurguson me tearing you a new asshole open with specifics and getting into too much depth about it.
One last straw, five fifth year seniors and three multiple year defensive player of the Year winners and one through 10 shooting an average of 41.2% from deep is an ENORMOUS upgrade from an all Mormon squad that still beat Kansas when Cow couldn't with the top 3 college shooters.
The NBA and scouting analyst that have stated time and time again we didn't have any good on-ball defenders or positional defenders! I agree. That also stated that we were a subpar defensive team and that several of our guys were defense liabilities. Again, I agree. But, evidently, we are supposed to go with your made-up assessments!

Who is Harley? What the hell is idealizing? 🤣
If you mean Hurley. He had won a couple of NCAA tournament games at RI, had won the A-10 tournament and A-10 regular season titles. Was also A10 coy. All prior to coming to Uconn.

Self had taken both Tulsa and ILL to the E8. He also went to another sw16 and the 2nd rd twice prior to KU. Won the Wac conference twice, the big 10 twice, and the big 10 tournament. Lol, so, yea, he was kinda known and had accomplished quite a bit more than Pope. 😉

Jack said our guys didn’t defend him. I agree!

I'm a Cal fan now? Since when? Are you able to show where I have said anything positive of Cal?

Musselman has been better. I would have loved to get him! Not sure that's the gotcha you think it is considering I wanted Cal gone.

What did Pope win though?

Who is Turd Mcfurguson? How are you tearing me a new one again?

Can anyone make all of this make any sense? 😂

Looking at Mark Pope's record. He sure doesn't have any more success the last 5 years.

Last edited:
The NBA and scouting analyst that have stated time and time again we didn't have any good on-ball defenders or positional defenders? That we were a subpar defensive team and that several of our guys were defense liabilities. Or are you supposed to go with your made-up assessments?

Who is Harley? What the hell is idealizing? 🤣
If you mean Hurley. He had won a couple of NCAA tournament games at RI, had won the A-10 tournament and A-10 regular season titles. Was also A10 coy. All prior to coming to Uconn.

Self had taken both Tulsa and ILL to the E8. He also went to another sw16 and the 2nd rd twice prior to KU. Won the Wac conference twice, the big 10 twice, and the big 10 tournament. Lol, so, yea, he was kinda known and had accomplished quite a bit more than Pope. 😉

Jack said our guys didn’t defend him. I agree!

I'm a Cal fan now? Since when? Are you able to show where I have said anything positive of Cal?

Musselman has been better. I would have loved to get him! Not sure that's the gotcha you think it is considering I wanted Cal gone.

What did Pope win though?

Who is Turd Mcfurguson? How are you tearing me a new one again?

Can anyone make all of this make any sense? 😂

Looking at Mark Pope's record. He sure doesn't have any more success the last 5 years.
Yawn sorry didn't read all that the first bit started with a straw man so that's my cue to know the rest is worthless. I think you'd have more fun on the Arkansas board, but in relation to the first straw man again I repeat the NBA analyst pointed out specifically how nobody knew where to be and that's on coach. This isn't hard.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Stratford
Yawn sorry didn't read all that the first bit started with a straw man so that's my cue to know the rest is worthless. I think you'd have more fun on the Arkansas board, but in relation to the first straw man again I repeat the NBA analyst pointed out specifically how nobody knew where to be and that's on coach. This isn't hard.
Sure, bud! 😉

Sarcastic Oc GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT