ADVERTISEMENT

You are the coach...

SmyrnaCatFan

Sophomore
Nov 9, 2012
which skills would you emphasize for Edwards, Wagner, and Burkes to become a more productive team asset? Please limit your replies to skills and rationale as to why these skills will accomplish your team goals. You may point out habits that need to be diminished but this thread is not intended to be a gripe session.

I'm a XCT&F guy so my basketball knowledge is miniscule compared to most of you.

Last edited:
which skills would you emphasize for Edwards, Wagner, and Burkes to become a more productive team asset? Please limit your replies to skills and rationale as to why these skills will accomplish your team goals. You may point out habits that to be diminished but this thread is not intended to be a gripe session.

I'm a XCT&F guy so my basketball knowledge is miniscule compared to most of you.
Shooting.

I have seen only two of the games. Kansas being one. But hitting one basket all night for projected one and dones just doesn't cut it.

Shooting as a skill has deteriorated over the years with the advent of the three and the drive for a dunk. What I mean by this is the 8-15 foot jump shot is not emphasized as it used to be. Putting the ball in the basket is the object of the game.

And keep working on FTs. I was pleasently surprised at the FT shooting against Kansas. Usually in those kind of games UK lays an egg at the charity stripe.

Without going back and watching anything

1. Edwards needs to be tougher. He got the ball knocked away going up against Kansas a few times. Once was by Harris, the point guard. I'd like to see him really put the extra emphasis on defense and rebounding early on. I think the rest will come. He obviously needs to work on the 3 point shooting. But I think doing the other stuff keeps him in the game now.

2. DJ: Shooting and finishing at the rim. He got to the rim a couple of times vs Kansas and couldn't finish. He shot it well vs Stonehill. Will that carry over?

3. Burks: Everything. He's got good length and athleticism. And he has a good basketball IQ. He made some winning plays vs Kansas getting rebounds and finding the open guy. I just think he's pretty raw. I think putting on some weight will help too. 6'8 202 is pretty thin.

I think they just need playing time for the most part. Some kids it clicks for right away and others can take time, current skill level and projected ceiling are not always relevant to this calculation for every player.

Edwards is just in his own head right now, you try to coach him out of it, focus on rebounds, put backs, and taking open shots. Have him let the game come to him without trying to force the issue.

I think DJ has a bit of that problem too but not to the same extent. I'd have DJ focus on his defense, pressure the ball and get the fast break going. Focus on drives looking for the layups or lob passes.

Burkes is just raw, he just needs time IMO, just continue focusing hard in practice drills and be ready when your number is called to make an impact. Energy, rebounding, putbacks.

Edwards needs to get in the weight room and go against Thiero in practice every day. He needs to embrace contact or he'll never make it as a finesse soft SF. DJ just needs to focus on letting the game come to him and drive to the basket and get fouled or kick it out to a shooter on the wings. Instead of settling for three pointers.

I would have both Edwards and Wagner focus on initiating contact and getting to the line. Both are very capable of putting tremendous pressure on the other team if they don't shy from contact. Burks should focus on his handle.

Last edited:
Edwards - Live in the weight room. Add muscle and strength before even worrying about anything on the court.

Wagner - Always think pass first and get everybody else involved. High assist, low shot player.

Burks - Work on becoming a lock down defender.

With DJ he does need to just focus on driving for now and if he has a wide open 3 and I do mean wide open like if they are dating him to shoot a 3 that be the only time he should take 3's until he knocks down 2-3 in a row in a game. And someone needs to tell him for him to get consistent first he has to shoot it the same way every time until he finds. I know he can knock down 17/20 in warmups but the form is different in warmups. But he just gotta be patient and not push.

Edwards- should be working his way through mistakes by Ass on bench. He's gonna be alright but sometimes a little ass time will help to see what it looks like from the bench.

If Reed is not being used as an example then idk what's going on. Look at what a team player and shoots it like 90% or something so far from 3 and the field. 😂.

And Antonio. Calipari needs go old school with him and if his shots aren't falling then reduce those opportunities or get on his ass. You don't have to quit shooting forever but you may have a a guy or two on this team that might just be as capable as Antonio. I have more thoughts but I'm missing the game. Later on.

I would tell them to just play. Tune out the outside coaching.

Listen to the inside coaching.

Do what you do. Right now none of them know what they don’t know.

This is going to be a great team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT