ADVERTISEMENT

Yikes — Terrence Shannon

A huge portion of the state likes KY better than UIUC. I lived there for 20 years and I hardly ever heard them on the radio in the southern part of the state. And Kentucky beat them a long time ago and in the '80s so there's some history of some of their best teams losing to UK.
We played them twice during the 84 season; 2nd time was the elite 8 I believe, maybe the sweet 16. We beat them twice by nearly identical, close, low scoring games. Beat them by a combined 5 points.

First game was in Illinois right before Christmas, and a blizzard hit the city right after UK flew in, dumping a foot and half of snow, w/ ice on top and temperatures below zero. Nobody could get to the game, including the officials. Announcer asked the crowd if there were any officials and a couple of high school refs came down. They outfitted them w/ striped shirts and a whistle, but I'm sure at least one of them did the game in blue jeans, with about a 2 inch swath of beer belly between the bottom of the borrowed shirt and his belt-line. Not many people in the stands, so you could imagine pickings were slim. I'm sure I thought they did a crap job at the time, since they managed to play us to a 2 point game; w/ a 3 guard line-up and noone bigger than 6-9 to go against our twin towers and sky front-line no less.

SOOOO much has gone on at KU over the years, if Self didn't know about it he worked really hard not to know. If he didn't know then he should have been removed long ago lack of control or complete failure to do his job
Kinda like John Wooden and Sam Gilbert at UCLA, except a lot less rapey.

We played them twice during the 84 season; 2nd time was the elite 8 I believe, maybe the sweet 16. We beat them twice by nearly identical, close, low scoring games. Beat them by a combined 5 points.

First game was in Illinois right before Christmas, and a blizzard hit the city right after UK flew in, dumping a foot and half of snow, w/ ice on top and temperatures below zero. Nobody could get to the game, including the officials. Announcer asked the crowd if there were any officials and a couple of high school refs came down. They outfitted them w/ striped shirts and a whistle, but I'm sure at least one of them did the game in blue jeans, with about a 2 inch swath of beer belly between the bottom of the borrowed shirt and his belt-line. Not many people in the stands, so you could imagine pickings were slim. I'm sure I thought they did a crap job at the time, since they managed to play us to a 2 point game; w/ a 3 guard line-up and noone bigger than 6-9 to go against our twin towers and sky front-line no less.
I did not remember that about the blizzard and fill-in refs...thanks for that info. I do remember they had pretty darned good team with Doug Altenberger, Efrem Winters, and Bruce Douglas. If I recall we beat them in Rupp in the EE to go the FF to play Georgetown. Still in pain over that one, particularly the 2nd half. :-(

How does a guy from hundreds of miles away go to a football game in Lawrence and within hours end up entangled in an alleged rape? Does he just meet a girl in a bar?

Maybe he was with a friend who had connections in Lawrence. Like Kevin McCullar, now a star at Kansas but a close friend of Shannon when both played at Texas Tech a couple years ago.

Coincidence? I doubt it. Keep an eye on the facts of this case as they trickle out.

I really hope this kid didn’t do this. But if he did, and it’s discovered that he was in Lawrence partying with McCullar and/or other Kansas players (as you hinted… why else would he be there?) then I think a serious federal investigation into the culture of the Kansas athletic department needs to happen. How many instances of alleged sexual assault is this now?? Again, innocence MUST be presumed. But if the facts say this kid did this and KU players were involved in some manner, then nobody but the feds can be trusted at this point to uncover all the skeletons in the closet. Not Lawrence PD, not the NCAA, and sure as hell not the University itself.

I’m about as far away from a knee-jerk, “me too”, cancel culture person as you can get. But there is obviously something very, very wrong at KU.

First game was in Illinois right before Christmas, and a blizzard hit the city right after UK flew in, dumping a foot and half of snow, w/ ice on top and temperatures below zero. Nobody could get to the game, including the officials. Announcer asked the crowd if there were any officials and a couple of high school refs came down. They outfitted them w/ striped shirts and a whistle, but I'm sure at least one of them did the game in blue jeans, with about a 2 inch swath of beer belly between the bottom of the borrowed shirt and his belt-line. Not many people in the stands, so you could imagine pickings were slim.
I remember that too. A matchup between two of the best teams in the country … and they had to look for volunteers in the stands to be the refs. Surreal.

If that was today, they’d just cancel or postpone the game due to the blizzard. But back then there was far more of a “the show must go on” attitude about those things… you tough it out and figure out how to get it played anyways.

The other games were 1949 and 1951. Kentucky destroyed Illinois in 1949 after the sports writers in Chicago made a big deal out of Kentucky was overrated and then in 1951 they squeaked by them. Illinois would have likely won the 1951 title had Kentucky lost and possibly the 1949 as well. The game in 1983 was on Christmas Eve which was just weird anyway.

Maybe these trash people figure Lawrence is in the middle of nowhere so they can get away with anything. As far as I'm concerned give them the chair if he is proven guilty.

A huge portion of the state likes KY better than UIUC. I lived there for 20 years and I hardly ever heard them on the radio in the southern part of the state. And Kentucky beat them a long time ago and in the '80s so there's some history of some of their best teams losing to UK.
I can understand that, I’ll always hate Wisconsin, Kansas State, and Marquette. It seems like we always meet 2-3 teams in the tournament that have our number.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Maybe these trash people figure Lawrence is in the middle of nowhere so they can get away with anything. As far as I'm concerned give them the chair if he is proven guilty.
We would stop a lot of stuff happening if we treated violent offenders the way they should be treated. Assuming they were convicted. It should be cheap and easy.

I was curious why does this happen in Kansas so often, so I googled it and here is what it said....."Kansas is one of the few states lacking any Romeo and Juliet laws to provide defenses for consensual underage sex. The age of consent is strictly enforced at 16 with no exceptions. This means sexual relationships with anyone 15 or younger should be avoided in Kansas."

It’s sad because we do have a lot of high character kids—especially recently with the less highly touted guys that love the program and develop over 3-5 years. But some of these highly ranked freshman and now a transfer in Morris seem just come to KU and think the law shouldn’t apply to them.
Yeah I guarantee that 90% of the roster are fine individuals. Especially the guys who seem to work a couple years to then break out down the line.

I think is Self’s best attribute as a coach, beside his general strategy and in game adjustments are finding underrated guys who become All-Big 12 level players their Junior years.

It seems like when he wants an impact recruit or transfer that he takes a lot of questionable players, even Dickinson is a jerk. He’s not a criminal at least but his attitude is kinda like a lot of kids he recruits.

I was curious why does this happen in Kansas so often, so I googled it and here is what it said....."Kansas is one of the few states lacking any Romeo and Juliet laws to provide defenses for consensual underage sex. The age of consent is strictly enforced at 16 with no exceptions. This means sexual relationships with anyone 15 or younger should be avoided in Kansas."
That’s a good law, but most of these women are college age/ over 16 so I don’t get it.

The other games were 1949 and 1951. Kentucky destroyed Illinois in 1949 after the sports writers in Chicago made a big deal out of Kentucky was overrated and then in 1951 they squeaked by them. Illinois would have likely won the 1951 title had Kentucky lost and possibly the 1949 as well. The game in 1983 was on Christmas Eve which was just weird anyway.
Apparently we played in 1982 as well, had forgotten that. Overall we are 11-4 vs. the Illini according to this website.

Yeah I guarantee that 90% of the roster are fine individuals. Especially the guys who seem to work a couple years to then break out down the line.

I think is Self’s best attribute as a coach, beside his general strategy and in game adjustments are finding underrated guys who become All-Big 12 level players their Junior years.

It seems like when he wants an impact recruit or transfer that he takes a lot of questionable players, even Dickinson is a jerk. He’s not a criminal at least but his attitude is kinda like a lot of kids he recruits.
A very fair analysis.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Lol this is always your response when I post. Like the 5th time. I’ll support KU hoops no matter what. If it comes out that Bill was promoting this environment I’ll be the first to agree with you and call for his job. Usually in these situations it’s an entire culture of the university.

I was at Vandy during the football rape scandal which was horrible and it most certainly did not just fall on one person.
Typically, in a train wreck, there is more than one person who failed. Promoting? Looking the other way/enabling... What's the diff? The environment is still the culture.

Lol this is always your response when I post. Like the 5th time. I’ll support KU hoops no matter what. If it comes out that Bill was promoting this environment I’ll be the first to agree with you and call for his job. Usually in these situations it’s an entire culture of the university.

I was at Vandy during the football rape scandal which was horrible and it most certainly did not just fall on one person.

The AD should be the first to be looked at imo, but KU just hired a new one recently after all the Vick/Jackson/Bragg crap. Football has had its fair share of issues as well that aren’t as public.

The university as a whole needs to do some serious and transparent investigations before I’m willing to chalk it up as just Bill Self.

To the recruiting Arterio part, completely agree. He shouldn’t have been a jayhawk. Not defending that one. Shocking though how many kids are willing to throw away their futures to this stuff.
Can you think of any other programs that have this happen to them almost every year? I can’t. It isn’t like it is happening yearly to the football team, the track team, the golf team, so why should people look at the AD first?

Self and the community have done nothing but brush these incidents under the rug (no pun intended). They have done nothing to help prevent this type of abuse. I would argue that they have encouraged it by not holding these students accountable and proving that as long as you play basketball, you will be protected.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT