ADVERTISEMENT

Yea or nay, We have new O-Line coach next year ?

Assuming Stoops is back.....

I am having a hard time seeing Yenser sticking. Stoops has not had much good to say about Oline all year...you can tell he doesn't think we're strong enough in trenches.

Woodard has to another that will be iffy to come back. Other than being Coen's closer confidant...his WR unit has been brutal in execution.

Both of these guys are lighter recruiters of the staff.

I am having a hard time seeing Yenser sticking. Stoops has not had much good to say about Oline all year...you can tell he doesn't think we're strong enough in trenches.

Woodard has to another that will be iffy to come back. Other than being Coen's closer confidant...his WR unit has been brutal in execution.

Agree

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
Imo it totally depends on the direction of the offense. He said repeatedly he came here to coach wide zone and is a wide zone believer. If we go more spread or back to inside zone, yenser will be a square peg in a round hole and will probably part ways.

As for the criticism of the OL play, the OL played well this season. Very well at times. Major improvement over last season.

Imo it totally depends on the direction of the offense. He said repeatedly he came here to coach wide zone and is a wide zone believer. If we go more spread or back to inside zone, yenser will be a square peg in a round hole and will probably part ways.

As for the criticism of the OL play, the OL played well this season. Very well at times. Major improvement over last seaso

You are watching an entirely different oline than I have apparently. The oline has been mediocre at best and that’s being nice. Very, very few times has Leary had a clean pocket to work with!

Except no pass rush
Responsibility of interior DL, that is DT/NG, is to keep blockers away from LBs. And since UK's 2 inside LBs, Jackson/Wallace, were the leading tacklers vs U6 I'd say they did a good job. Totally agree pass rush needs to be better but in UK's scheme that is supposed to come primarily from DEs/OLBs. They do, however, run stunts at time with interior DL and blitzes with ILB/DBs.

Reactions: bluecoon1
I don't think UK ran a single wide zone play against UL.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
You are watching an entirely different oline than I have apparently. The oline has been mediocre at best and that’s being nice. Very, very few times has Leary had a clean pocket to work with!
We only allowed 20 sacks all season. I thought we looked better than last season, but when our QB holds the ball for so long it's easy to see where your statement comes from.

I don't think UK ran a single wide zone play against UL.

They haven't run wide zone for several games. It's almost all pin and pull. Very interesting considering the repeated stated dedication to wide zone. It didn't stay that way even with a wide zone back.

That's why I think it is probably up to yenser if he stays or goes. Coen was married to wide zone too until he wasnt. Yenser is coen's guy. So I don't think he'll be asked to leave.

Jmo I think boulware and Collins are in trouble. Buffano is nearing danger zone too, but up till this year safety was a very strong position for us. Still was except for the repeatedly busting coverage.

Let's hope so and UK needs to find at least 3 or 4 OL in the transfer portal. The group this year was not very good. Better than last year, but not very good.,

They haven't run wide zone for several games. It's almost all pin and pull. Very interesting considering the repeated stated dedication to wide zone. It didn't stay that way even with a wide zone back.

That's why I think it is probably up to yenser if he stays or goes. Coen was married to wide zone too until he wasnt. Yenser is coen's guy. So I don't think he'll be asked to leave.

Jmo I think boulware and Collins are in trouble. Buffano is nearing danger zone too, but up till this year safety was a very strong position for us. Still was except for the repeatedly busting coverage.
Why would Boulware be in trouble? His 2 position groups (RB & ST) were among our best outside the punter not being able to kick.

Would you describe Sumo-K as a wide zone back? How about Wilcox?

Thanks

Last edited:
OL was definitely better. However, too many penalties, too many times an OL whiffed on a block, too many times we looked confused. How many games went by before the OL started picking up on DL stunts? How many games were we unable to get 2 yards because the OL had no push? How many false start penalties, especially early in the season - no excuse not to know the snap count. Maybe not all on the coach, of course, but even in Saturday's game, Burton whiffed and allowed Leary to get creamed, Eli got pushed back into the backfield about 5 or 6 plays in addition to getting a holding call, etc. The group did improve over last year but still not nearly good enough against quality competition. Either decision by Stoops can be justified. Not sure which way I'd lean at the moment.

Buffano's safety group cost us at least one, if not 2, games this year by themselves. Lots of trash talking, lots of misreads and blown coverages, lots of piss-poor angles taken, etc. He needs to find other employment.

Stewart's group did OK but the scheme may be at fault, also. Would really like to see more havoc-producing technique at times vs always just occupying blocks. Would love to see more of Deone's play vs UofL in all of the DL - very aggressive, getting into the backfield and changing the play.

WR group as a whole did not progress very much. Too many drops, a reluctance to block consistently, lazy route running when not Option #1, etc. Certainly some of the WRs had really big games but just wasn't enough consistency from that group for my money. And, where is the depth - Dekel was hardly targeted, freshmen were not brought along very well, etc. I'd let him go, too.

White's OLB group, as a whole, was, once again, very underwhelming. JJ, sans the UofL game, was pretty much a nonfactor. Wade has a couple of plays per game where he looks like the real deal but then disappears. Backups got some PT but hardly made an impact. Have to have impact players on the edge and we haven't in several years. Yes, that's recruiting but it's also development. Josh Allen was a 2* who blossomed into a one-man wrecking crew. Anyone see any of the OLBs really look like they're on the cusp of blossoming?

Except no pass rush
The pass rush isn't really on him. That's a philosophical problem. We don't have traditional pass rushers on the field very often. We play with 3 monsters and don't have a Josh Allen type on the field. The DL is full of slow plodders. Need a change in philosphy to increase pass rush.

Why would Boulware be in trouble? His 2 position groups (RB & ST) were among our best outside the punter not being able to kick.

Something feels off about that fit. Then we find out he flat refuses to allow an Aussie punter. At first I assumed it was to let guys develop for the NFL since they don't take rugby style punters due to rule changes. Instead we find out it's because he's inflexible. That just seems to go against the grain of what the staff is.

That's pure speculation. So we'll see.

Would you describe Sumo-K as a wide zone back? How about Wilcox?

Thanks

I didn't see him at NC state and we really didn't run enough wzw with him to really gauge but he definitely doesn't strike me as anyone that wants to run inside. I'm curious about Wilcox when he eventually sees the field, but he's a small guy based on his measurements

Except no pass rush

You aren't getting a pas rush from any of the 3dl except maybe on obvious pass. DHY actually looked pretty decent before injury.

We really need a jack to step up and play like a jack. Weaver was basically a regular olb and a mediocre one at that. Wade isn't a jack. Jmo but fearbry is really one to watch. After looking awful at olb last year, this year he showed some very nice pass rush skill in limited opportunity.

It feels like we don't fire position coaches, we just don't reup contracts. I'm sure there an exception. But Yenser contract is up, he's ain't coming back

Fear
You aren't getting a pas rush from any of the 3dl except maybe on obvious pass. DHY actually looked pretty decent before injury.

We really need a jack to step up and play like a jack. Weaver was basically a regular olb and a mediocre one at that. Wade isn't a jack. Jmo but fearbry is really one to watch. After looking awful at olb last year, this year he showed some very nice pass rush skill in limited opportunity.
Fearbry is the only one of the ones I’ve seen that seems like they have that twitch and burst to really rush the passer.

Except no pass rush
Honestly I think they are doing what the staff wants. It’s a bad scheme to me. They WANT the Dline to push the guy in front of them straight back. Don’t go around because you leave your rush lane. The backers are supposed to fill the gaps. I hate it. Loosing football to me.

Honestly I think they are doing what the staff wants. It’s a bad scheme to me. They WANT the Dline to push the guy in front of them straight back. Don’t go around because you leave your rush lane. The backers are supposed to fill the gaps. I hate it. Loosing football to me.
THIS RIGHT HERE X1000!!! This year has me really really down and pissed with Brad White! I’m so sick of playing sissy bend don’t break defense! No pass rush/qb pressure, very few sacks, very few tfl’s, not exciting, and finally I don’t think it excites our players to play this crap ass defense! I realize I’m in the minority when it comes to my opinion of White but it is what it is. His defensive philosophy is boring as hell!

THIS RIGHT HERE X1000!!! This year has me really really down and pissed with Brad White! I’m so sick of playing sissy bend don’t break defense! No pass rush/qb pressure, very few sacks, very few tfl’s, not exciting, and finally I don’t think it excites our players to play this crap ass defense! I realize I’m in the minority when it comes to my opinion of White but it is what it is. His defensive philosophy is boring as hell!

Is it his or the HC?

I think it’s more the HC as that was his deal when at FSU

Reactions: cathouse
Here is the offseason I’d like to see

1. Fire Yenser. Oline improved from terrible to mediocre this year…some portal and flax improved. But lack of recruiting and isn’t the best developmental coach. We need to get off wide zone…just run inside zone and be done with it
2. Woodard…get him off Wr cosch. Again not developing key and brown..and younger Wr are awol at Ky. Plus he didn’t recruit much
3. Buffano…. Not a well educated group at safety and he’s not recruiting much
4. Dline…I get we play3-4 and they eat blockers…but our pad level at NG and DT is way to high. Play lower pad level wnd leverage…you do t pass rush inside but I’d Hope we could a bit more
5. Get a taller portal Qb and get back tk attack middle of field Dane needs to get all rhe slants and dig routes..and on goal line…he’s the high point Wr to fight for 50/50 balls
6. Why are our athletic TE never both on field in double TE sets. Cummings didn’t play behind Dingle but when he played late in year../he was a threat. Anderson also looks like a player but again he’s stuck on depth chart. Kattus and Bates always play in our two TE sets. Why not dingle and Cummings same time more? Kattus was a penalty magnet to me.

Reactions: bigbluedon
I agree this year. It takes a special edge athlete to make it work. With Josh Allen on the roster it wasn’t boring. Our linebackers regressed almost as much as our backfield. We got worse all year. How we beat U6 is crazy. We could not stop our 3 cupcakes and South Carolina. To think they were 10-1 says mountains about the difference in the leagues.

Yeah he has been very critical down the stretch about the O Line missing assignments and blocks. He has said on multiple occasions that it is stuff they have went over multiple times and they shouldn't still be making those mistakes. That makes it sound more like the players not doing what they are told so he may think it's the personnel instead of the staff.

I would be shocked if Yenser is back. The line was better this year (it would have been nearly impossible to be worse than they were last year) but in my opinion they still weren't good enough as a unit most of the year. The line has gave up what...70 sacks or something like that in Yensers 2 years here total? Not good.

I vote for new O line, secondary and receivers coaches.

Could happen, likely not.

We 'only' had 20 sacks because Leary was an escape artist.

In 2022 Stoops fired Scan and Settle after UL, not even 7 days. So if any assistant is gonna be dismissed it'd happen by Friday.

Unless Stoops wants to help them get another job before being fired, so their resume and career isn't hurt with a firing, I guess it could linger into January

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT