ADVERTISEMENT

Yahtzee - 5.7, 3*, OT from MI

Batman Dancing GIF
Adam West Dancing GIF

Will be enrolling early at UK to get to work. Wants to be great, All SEC, All American and to be drafted in the pro's one day. Wants to get bigger, stronger and faster. Loves driving defenders down field and pancaking them. Already good friends with the Kattus's and Saunders. Wants to start recruiting more teammates.

Although his basketball HUDL film is not great at all, I love the fact that as an OT, he also played basketball ...playing multiple sports should only help develop coordination/mobility, etc

Although his basketball HUDL film is not great at all, I love the fact that as an OT, he also played basketball ...playing multiple sports should only help develop coordination/mobility, etc
Seems like a long time ago, a lot of football players, especially linemen, were also on the wrestling team, at least in HS. I would think that sport would be incredibly valuable for linemen to teach them leverage and hand fighting, keeping them in great shape, etc. Don't know if that's done much anymore, though.

Seems like a long time ago, a lot of football players, especially linemen, were also on the wrestling team, at least in HS. I would think that sport would be incredibly valuable for linemen to teach them leverage and hand fighting, keeping them in great shape, etc. Don't know if that's done much anymore, though.
Wrestling no longer offered in the area I live in but hasn't been in decades.

Was he ranked the fourth best recruit in MI? Thought I saw that but not sure. Also on his evaluation it talked about him having the needed knee bend for a guy that size. Said that is the first thing they look at with OT's. Commented on his astute stance but ability to bend correctly to get leverage. Also mentioned his ability to either pull with his quickness and drive with his power. Has good feet and moves well for a guy that size.

Yeah, IIRC I think that was a big thing with Landon Young, he was a great wrestler.

Not saying they are the same caliber player, Strey's body type reminds me of Landon's.

Will be enrolling early at UK to get to work. Wants to be great, All SEC, All American and to be drafted in the pro's one day. Wants to get bigger, stronger and faster. Loves driving defenders down field and pancaking them. Already good friends with the Kattus's and Saunders. Wants to start recruiting more teammates.
Loving these Michigam guys. Getting into that state has been huge

Reactions: The-Hack
Our school doesn't offer wrestling. Wonder what the #'s look like statewide, as far as districts that do still wrestle

Yeah, IIRC I think that was a big thing with Landon Young, he was a great wrestler.

Not saying they are the same caliber player, Strey's body type reminds me of Landon's.
I just remember Alex Karras saying he and several of the linemen were on the HS wrestling and Notre Dame wrestling team when he played there. Said it made a huge difference in his development, which makes sense to me. The game is different and maybe there isn't as much focus on inside leverage techniques vs being quick enough for the outside zone schemes. On the DL, though, I'd think all the benefits from wrestling (cardio, leverage, strength, etc.) would be 100% transferable. Just me, though.

I just remember Alex Karras saying he and several of the linemen were on the HS wrestling and Notre Dame wrestling team when he played there. Said it made a huge difference in his development, which makes sense to me. The game is different and maybe there isn't as much focus on inside leverage techniques vs being quick enough for the outside zone schemes. On the DL, though, I'd think all the benefits from wrestling (cardio, leverage, strength, etc.) would be 100% transferable. Just me, though.
When I was a student in the early seventies, UK had varsity wrestling. Fletcher Carr was the Head Coach. I wrote a Kernal feature on heavyweight wrestler Pat Donley who was a scholarship lineman for the Cats.

Wrestling no longer offered in the area I live in but hasn't been in decades.
Lexington schools had wrestling when my son played but there was a weight limit for the heavyweight division. I think it was 275 lb's but could have been 300.. I can still remember chuckling as my son was running around with sweats on with the flyweights trying to get down below the limit for their class.

Our school doesn't offer wrestling. Wonder what the #'s look like statewide, as far as districts that do still wrestle
High school wrestling in Kentucky is looking good. There are tons of young women getting into the sport alongside their male colleagues, and scholarships still exist for some in-state schools... Not that they're competing with the likes of Iowa or Penn State, but still.

Landon Young was a wrestler IIRC.

Wrestling teaches discipline, drive, footwork, conditioning, violent hands, mental toughness, head movement, quickness, and promotes the 1v1 mentality that linemen rely on. It's the perfect complement sport to football.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT