ADVERTISEMENT

Y’all still think it’s the offense?

Rockfly78

Senior
Nov 20, 2014
I’ve had to sit and watch everyone whine and cry about our offense all year. Modern offense this, modern offense that. The offense has never been the issue. It’s the defense.

The defense sucking is a choice. These kids are athletic and long enough to be good defenders but they choose not to because they are soft. Wanna know why they can’t hit free throws? They are soft. Every one of these kids can hit free throws. They are all capable and have a good stroke. But sinking free throws is mostly mental toughness and focus. These kids are soft.

Assembling a soft ass roster is Cal’s biggest failure as of late. It’s not his X and O coaching or his archaic offense. It’s the fact that he hasn’t recruited fighters. I’m tired of poorly constructed rosters. I say all the time, not EVERYTHING is Cal’s fault. But when you have a roster full of limp noodles then it’s on him. He evaluated them. This looks a lot like the 2013 team to me.

If this team is gonna stumble into the NCAA tournament then we may need to have an exorcism. Or maybe a lobotomy

It's the DUMBASS!!!

tQwxjoh.jpg

If this team is gonna stumble into the NCAA tournament then we may need to have an exorcism.

If we lose at UGA Saturday, we probably won't even stumble in.
Oh I agree. I’m saying at this point our only option is to stumble in.

Reactions: chroix
If this team is gonna stumble into the NCAA tournament then we may need to have an exorcism.

Not kidding here...Georgia is likely to beat us and if that happens,we go to Miss State where another loss could happen...3 straight losses

I’ve had to sit and watch everyone whine and cry about our offense all year. Modern offense this, modern offense that. The offense has never been the issue. It’s the defense.

The defense sucking is a choice. These kids are athletic and long enough to be good defenders but they choose not to because they are soft. Wanna know why they can’t hit free throws? They are soft. Every one of these kids can hit free throws. They are all capable and have a good stroke. But sinking free throws is mostly mental toughness and focus. These kids are soft.

Assembling a soft ass roster is Cal’s biggest failure as of late. It’s not his X and O coaching or his archaic offense. It’s the fact that he hasn’t recruited fighters. I’m tired of poorly constructed rosters. I say all the time, not EVERYTHING is Cal’s fault. But when you have a roster full of limp noodles then it’s on him. He evaluated them. This looks a lot like the 2013 team to me.

If this team is gonna stumble into the NCAA tournament then we may need to have an exorcism. Or maybe a lobotomy
It’s both really. Defense is horrible and has been all year. Cal doesn’t know how to teach anything else other than man and this team just can’t stay in front of their man well enough to execute it and we have zero rim protection. Offense, cal is too focused on having players get to the rim and trying to feed Oscar in the middle. Doesn’t run screens for shooters nor does he run an offense that moves the ball fast enough with guys cutting and screening to free shooters up, we took around 7 or 8 three point baskets tonight befure forcing up a few toward the end. With Wallace, reeves, and CJ in the game, one of them should get a decent look from 3 almost every trip down the court. Of course tonight they saw around maybe 3:30 of time together total on the court. Cal can’t coach, period and our rosters not good enough to overcome that.

After watching tonight it’s finally crystal clear to me… No question Cal’s offense is part of it but folks our problems on both sides is because these other gems have better players than we do.

This game highlighted that. I couldn’t name but a couple of their guys going in but 1-7 their guys were better athletically AND better basketball players. They more ball skills, better play making skills, better instincts, and they have more multi dimensional players than we do.

We have a few physically athletic guys but only one really skilled and polished basketball athlete in Wallace.

We played our hearts out that first half and you could see we were the ones hanging in there and not them.

Cal doesn’t make it any easier for them but guys we just DONT have high Level basketball talent. Plain and simple.

I agree, super soft and ok with them if they don't want to do anything about it. I don't see a lot of resolve or passion or heart. Way too many fundamental errors made defensively...very sad and embarrassing really, but that's the defense they are willing to play.

Oscar could be better on defense. He clearly doesn't want to give the effort. It's a mindset. Really disappointing.

Georgia is hot garbage. They do nothing well and have no size. We will cream them.

Oscar could be better on defense. He clearly doesn't want to give the effort. It's a mindset. Really disappointing.
Im not so sure. O gets called for alot of cheap fouls.
We absolutely need him on the floor.

I’ve thought the defense sucks all year, it’s cost us more games than the offense. It just sucks to not be able to score and beat teams when you can’t guard. Gonzaga style at least.

Reactions: Rockfly78
I get it, but his pick and roll defense is abysmal.
Yep but a bigger issue is that you can tell the refs and that problem has factored into his entire game now. You can see he’s thinking on every play, instead of just playing. It’s killing him and us.

Reactions: shano
2013 pre Noel injury would likely gut this team.

They were 17-6 overall (8-2 SEC) before the UF game where Noel went down. We then dropped 5 of our last 9 (6/10 counting NIT) including a 1st round exit in the SEC Tournament to Vandy.

Still finished in a 3 way tie for SEC 2nd place. We were a lock for 2nd and maybe winning the conference pre Noel injury.

Lost by 7 to Duke in game 2 and by 3 @ eventual vacated champ UL. Was on a 5 game SEC win streak before the UF/Noel injury.

Georgia is hot garbage. They do nothing well and have no size. We will cream them.
Lol what does that make us? We were down double digits most of the first half to them and frankly only got baxn in the game with some VERY favorable foul calls from the refs in Rupp. We won’t get that same luck in Athens. Saturday looks like an L

It’s been the defense all year. Can’t guard a straight line drive or simple pick and roll. Get caught sleeping on inbounds plays. Lose our men on back door cuts. Low hands on contested shot. Over helping sometimes and not helping at all at other times.

Wallace is the only good defensive player we have. Oscar, Wheeler, Frederick, Reeves and Toppin are subpar defenders.

Ultimately, it’s on Cal. He runs practices and he put the roster together.

It’s been the defense all year. Can’t guard a straight line drive or simple pick and roll. Get caught sleeping on inbounds plays. Lose our men on back door cuts. Low hands on contested shot. Over helping sometimes and not helping at all at other times.

Wallace is the only good defensive player we have. Oscar, Wheeler, Frederick, Reeves and Toppin are subpar defenders.

Ultimately, it’s on Cal. He runs practices and he put the roster together.
Yeah, but Cal can’t play the game for them. At some point you have to ask yourself are these kids really good at anything. Your answer would be no. Can’t shoot consistently. Can play defense. Can’t hit free throws. Can’t do what their being coached to do. Don’t hustle. Out of shape. Don’t show up for big games. Everyone intimidate’s them.

You’re not winning much giving up 88 pts….

You can argue wheeler this, play the Bennie lineup, Livingston vs Reeves etc.

But our defense when we needed it this year has failed us thjs year

86 to MSU
88 to Gonzaga
63 to ucla ….that was more offensive probably then defensive
89 mizzou
78 in a beating to bama
71 to awful usc team
77 to kansas
88 Arkansas

You need to hold teams in the Sixties with the pace we play, low 70s max…but outside of Tennessee game…good teams get their numbers pretty consistently on us

On the whole we just don’t seem to play strong enough to smother teams like we used to. Oscar is as bad a pick and roll this year as you’ve seen under Cal….and he wasn’t this bad last year is the head scratcher. We break down thru a game so much and it’s not one player. Cal won’t play any zone, he refused to trap ball screen all year, If our straight man to man won’t work…no strategy to do anything else

It’s obviously both. This group couldn’t guard me if I was wearing cement shoes.

But let’s not kid ourselves, the offense sucks. I don’t care what the “efficiency ratings” say, you can’t watch our offense and say it’s acceptable.

We suck on both sides of the ball and we are at a huge disadvantage on the sidelines. Ark Coach got through to his guys at the half and made a couple adjustments…….Cal did absolutely nothing. Cal continued to try and feed Oscar like it’s the year 1981. Collins, who played great, rode the bench. NOTHING about what Cal does makes any sense at all.

Freaking clown show.

This ^ is the most true post I’ve seen all year!!!!!!!!!
Thanks OP.

The only thing I will add is rim protection. We’ve not had it the past 3 years. And need it, bad! All of Cal’s best teams have it. And our only guys who can do it are Onyenso (never sees the floor), and Collins (who has understandably sucked until the past week, but still not all the way there). And damn I did not realize he had lost 16 lbs since his dad died! Toppin should be a shot blocker, but agree he is too soft to be one. It’s sad to get in SEC play Wallace might be leading us in blocked shots.

Reactions: gojvc and Rockfly78
Our defense has been the problem for the last 3 seasons. And the offense is not good enough to make up for bad defense. We don't have the players to execute defense or offense. These players play hard. They just aren't very good.

It doesn't matter what any of us think about Cal's coaching. Any coach has to have a base. We have transfers. Cal spit the bit on recruiting.

It really shows up on the defensive end how unathletic we are as a team. The lack of athleticism can be made up sometimes by high basketball IQ. We are the opposite of that too.

We have Cason Wallace. We used to have Oscar. Now that teams have figured out if they stop Oscar, they stop us. They dare us to beat them with someone else and the only one stepping up is Cason.

Livingston is starting to play better. Collins too. When he can get in. I think Thiero would help. Damn sure couldn't hurt.

We should be trying something. What we are doing is not working. We play zone a little last night. But they tore it up too. We just cannot guard.

Yes, Cal’s offense is trash. Just because the defense is trash now doesn’t mean it’s not the offense.

It's offense, it's defense, and it's most definitely coaching. You can't consistently win games against coaches who teach their players fundamentals and are far superior in running offensive & defensive sets. Cal doesn't coach to detail (Pick N Roll defense, Inbounds Plays - both offense and defense) and doesn't stress fundamentals to his players. Same mistakes game after game without any type of adjustments. Just watch the replay of the Kansas game where they continued to Pick N Roll against Oscar who sagged on about every possession allowing layups, ally oops, etc. At halftime, Seth Greenberg at the ESPN studios told the country UK was sagging on every Pick N Roll. How doesn't Cal and the entire coaching staff not see that? Did you happen to watch the very next game where Kansas tried to run the same plays against Iowa State? They couldn't score as Iowa State fought through the screens rather than switch and sag. Happened again last night against Arkansas as UK players were on their heels the entire game giving up 63% fg percentage. Nothing is changing any time soon as long as Cal coaches this way and he isn't changing.

Reactions: ala_kat2
The term “modern offense” is the dumbest thing that gets said in a regular basis on here. Like it freakin matters. What y’all call “modern offense” isn’t modern at all. It’s not like spacing and shooting just popped up yesterday.

You can play winning basketball with any style of play if you have good players who play hard and execute. It’s 5 kids bouncing a ball and throwing it at a hoop. This isn’t 4d chess

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie

Cal's shieldbearer with one of his "masterpieces."

I have said for the past 3 years that our defense is terrible. While Matt Jones and everyone else was saying the offense was outdated the defense is why we haven't been winning. I mean if you score 79 on a mid major team you should win but not when you let a team like St Peters score 88. We don't have a defensive stopper on the perimeter and no rim protector and haven't had either in a few years.

100%. Soft af.

19 of Arkansas 32 baskets were layups or dunks. Do we even play defense?

I don't think effort is necessarily the problem. A guy who averages 13-14 rebounds per game is giving effort. I think it's 2 things, first he doesn't have the foot speed and agility to be a great defender on the perimeter and second I don't think he gets the concept when it comes to how to play a pick and roll. He just seems like he doesn't understand what to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT