ADVERTISEMENT

Wow another yr of mass exits

Like I said, UK has kids leave and has kids return. It feels like UK loses more kids to the draft because they do. UK has had more kids drafted than any other school during the Cal era by a wide margin. If they're dream is to play in the NBA and get drafted then why should they stay in college and play for free?
Fair enough

Some responses kinda make it sound like playing on scholly at UK is a poor gig . Man , got to get outta bed for those classes , and those papers ...so heavy man , so heavy .... just STOP ... LOL Try going to work every day with no skipping and paying 1/2 what you make in tax's !

Reactions: ukfan041
you know..you can attend school while in NBA, D-league, or any other league right? It's impossible to be 100%. However, you can focus a lot more on Basketball in the league than other way around.

where did you get 25?

ANd, you make a quick assumption about him wasting all his money...?
Briscoe isn't good enough to where someone is going to pay him a ton of money to play basketball.

He's not going to make 3 million a year overseas.

Everyone has to do what they have to do but it does seem strange that UK players fall over each other trying to find a way to get out the door but players like Kennard,the kid at Texas A&M,any number of UNC kids or the kid at Purdue choose to stay around.

You have to wonder sometimes.
It's like there's an unwritten rule at UK, that a 5-star recruit that signs here. Isn't allowed to stay past his sophomore year.

Reactions: TnRustyCAT
Everyone has to do what they have to do but it does seem strange that UK players fall over each other trying to find a way to get out the door but players like Kennard,the kid at Texas A&M,any number of UNC kids or the kid at Purdue choose to stay around.

I'll tell you what it makes me wonder........How do those coaches live with themselves? How do they hold a kid back for their own personal gain? There was a spot on ESPN and Cory Maggette tells how after the season that they literally hunted him down, took him to coach K's house and put pressure on him to stay. For the good of Duke, how he would be letting his team mates down, his friends and he would be letting the Duke fans down. It didn't work on him, but it gives you a glimpse behind the curtain. I am glad that Cal puts the kids interest before himself or the fans. That is part of what makes him so successful.

It's like there's an unwritten rule at UK, that a 5-star recruit that signs here. Isn't allowed to stay past his sophomore year.
That is a poisonous statement! Almost like you are trying to say that Cal is pushing them out..........are you not happy with Cal? Otherwise why the poison.

Some responses kinda make it sound like playing on scholly at UK is a poor gig . Man , got to get outta bed for those classes , and those papers ...so heavy man , so heavy .... just STOP ... LOL Try going to work every day with no skipping and paying 1/2 what you make in tax's !

50% taxes? Hyperbole much?

I'll tell you what it makes me wonder........How do those coaches live with themselves? How do they hold a kid back for their own personal gain? There was a spot on ESPN and Cory Maggette tells how after the season that they literally hunted him down, took him to coach K's house and put pressure on him to stay. For the good of Duke, how he would be letting his team mates down, his friends and he would be letting the Duke fans down. It didn't work on him, but it gives you a glimpse behind the curtain. I am glad that Cal puts the kids interest before himself or the fans. That is part of what makes him so successful.
I would think the Meggette story is the exception rather than the rule(it is Duke after all) but players like Humphries,Gabriel and a few others makes one wonder why the rush and if leaving ASAP is always the best move.

Reactions: oldfanofuk
Wow! Stereotype much?
What did I stereotype?

20 year old's that suddenly come into money are foolish with it?

I guess I would fall into that stereotype too.

Don't even go with the race card angle, that doesn't fly with me.

I like Briscoe, and defended him, I just don't think he has a position at the next level.

Hope I'm wrong. Also, he might be the most disciplined money manager ever, but most young people aren't, including myself when I was young.

If he finds himself out of basketball at age 27, well, with life expectancy at about 80 now, what's he turn to then? He said he doesn't like school.

Last edited:
50% taxes? Hyperbole much?

Well 36 % Corporate on profit on the company I own, I think 32 personal , Plus state , and local , medicare tax , Social Security , sales taxs unemployment tax ----------- when you make a lot of money I'd say 50% goes out the shitter in some form or another ..not complaining , just stating the facts . So Hyperbole much ? No, dont guess I do . My guess is you dont own a business .

if college wants to keep players...

they might want to start paying them. ;-)

Right! I don't necessarily agree with it...but the way the game has become, it is going to become a must. The NCAA is going to start losing more and more really good players as the NBA D-League expands, rosters expand, and foreign leagues become more enticing. I don't know what you would pay them, but for a chance to go higher in next year's draft plus plus money in your pocket might keep a lot of players in college.

Briscoe isn't good enough to where someone is going to pay him a ton of money to play basketball.

You know what? Ramon Harris is making a living playing a game. Ramon Frickin Harris !!!! If I could have made a living in my 20's playing basketball, I would have jumped at the opportunity. Go to the d-league and see if you can get your chance.

Well 36 % Corporate on profit on the company I own, I think 32 personal , Plus state , and local , medicare tax , Social Security , sales taxs unemployment tax ----------- when you make a lot of money I'd say 50% goes out the shitter in some form or another ..not complaining , just stating the facts . So Hyperbole much ? No, dont guess I do . My guess is you dont own a business .

No, I no longer own a business. I left the working world behind in 1998. I did own a moderately successful remodeling business for 11 yrs. You said you pay 50% in taxes. Then you came back and threw a bunch of business items in. Not to say anything about your piss poor guessing abilities?

if college wants to keep players...

they might want to start paying them. ;-)
SERIOUSLY WHY CAN'T WE HAVE THIS?????

I'm so pissed beyond words at the NCAA for standing in the way of this. The NCAA is a big, big, big money business and the only thing that differentiates it from any other business is that they're allowed to use ALL their most valuable employees as entirely unpaid slave labor.

On the other hand, if they would do something really really crazy like oh I dunno PAY their most valuable employees some very small proportion of the huge haul they're bringing in, then everyone would have the best of all worlds. Fans would have a college basketball that was better than the NBA again (like it always was until about a decade+ ago it became just the JV version of the NBDL), bigtime players could keep their families out of poverty until they were sure about their development instead of making ridiculously risky gambles, small-time players would have something to show for all the many extra hours of work they put in beyond what a normal student does, and the nasty money-grubbing NCAA would have even more filthy lucre to count in their fetid dungeons after midnight because they would have more fans if they had a better PRODUCT (what a novel idea!).

Yes there would be a lot of details to work out to make it fair to everyone. But why is that worse than just folding their hands and making it equally unfair to everyone?

Reactions: Atrain7732
No, I no longer own a business. I left the working world behind in 1998. I did own a moderately successful remodeling business for 11 yrs. You said you pay 50% in taxes. Then you came back and threw a bunch of business items in. Not to say anything about your piss poor guessing abilities?

That was a long time ago grandpa :) Obama **not political** crushed small business. I owned a clothing store during his time, and now own a small fleet trucking company. Some how or another, obama always managed to snatch around 50% from me one way or another. Hoping next year the new administration gets the working businessmans situation back I order. More businesses closed their doors under Obama than the damn depression.

Some kids don't want to go to school....naaaahhh....that cannot be.....good thing is, calipari isn't going to force a kid to stay and do something that he doesn't want to.

Under the current system, all basketball players have to do something for one year before they go the NBA.

Briscoe is who he is as a player, two more years will only make him "older" while missing two years of some kind of salary. His career is basketball, which has a shelf life shorter than most careers and the older you are the harder it gets.

Contrary to what people think, when you figure out that you may not improve as a player this maybe the best move.

fwiw I think the d-league minimum salary is like $72,000 per year now. That is a very friendly salary for almost anyone, especially when you take into account theyre playing basketball for a living. Go overseas and you make more. Ill play basketball forever if you offer me that kinda money.

Nope, the salary for the G-League hasn't changed but 2 spots for 2-way contracts per team allow for the $50-75,000 salary.

Yeah awf must think 98 tax rates are equal to today's .. I do pay around 50% in tax's .. and to make this relevant so do todays pro hoops players . My " guessing abilities" are dead on accurate awf .

Correct, Americans who make the most money overseas use the heritage route and become naturalized.

It is sad there are threads like this . It is the cost of success and I wouldn't trade it for the world. If you have the best players you have a chance and thats all rational fans can want. With Tubby we had a chance like 3 years at most and never had a chance with BCG. We are living in the golden age of UK basketball and tons of kids are going pro from other schools just look at the early enterees on draft express today but more do from UK as we have more elite players.

I think if Briscoe wants to give playing professionally a shot, now is as good a time as any. He is pretty close to his peak upside. My advice to him would be to stay 4 yrs and work towards a degree with an eye toward coaching. Think he would make a helluva coach one day.

Reactions: TnRustyCAT
I read about 80% of one and done's are broke after 8, to 10 year's after they leave without an education! I wish I could link, or remember the name, and who wrote the article? I have no link, but very interesting! Each to his own though!! :popcorn:

That was a long time ago grandpa :) Obama **not political** crushed small business. I owned a clothing store during his time, and now own a small fleet trucking company. Some how or another, obama always managed to snatch around 50% from me one way or another. Hoping next year the new administration gets the working businessmans situation back I order. More businesses closed their doors under Obama than the damn depression.
**Not political** You think maybe the Great Recession had something to do with that? Also, I love how you use absolute numbers when comparing the Obama years to the depression. I'd gues there are significantly more businesses nowadays than 80 years ago.

Also, I'm not sure how your post was anything but political.

The bigger question is why you chose a c-corp? I don't know, maybe it make sense for you, but in most cases it make sense for people to use a pass-through entity.

Reactions: awf
Have you looked at the mock drafts? Almost the entire first round is college freshman or international kids. Briscoe is playing the numbers. You have so many years to earn money playing. I guess he figures he can work on his game and get paid in the d-league or overseas.

LOL... Kennard just declared and will sign with an agent...

I understand leaving for the millions but D league salary? Not crushing dreams just wonder who advises these kids to go when all experts say should stay. Just puzzling. Gonna be so young next yr.
Well, for someone like Briscoe that doesn't like school, getting paid, anything, to play the game you love, is better than staying in school.

LOL... Kennard just declared and will sign with an agent...
He did,but he stayed at Duke for 2 years most of our players with his talent would have been gone in one.How good would we be if Monk,Fox and Bam stayed two years?

Looks like this is the way it is at the top programs, I always thought you could make a good living with a college degree. Most people will jump at the chance to make good money even if it's just for a short time. That's what some that leave early are facing, going overseas is a gamble I'm not sure I would want to take being an American. To each his own though, I notice most that do go want to get back as quick as they can. A lot of people are saying this next bunch may have some multi year players, which isn't a bad thing.

What did I stereotype?

20 year old's that suddenly come into money are foolish with it?

I guess I would fall into that stereotype too.

Don't even go with the race card angle, that doesn't fly with me.

I like Briscoe, and defended him, I just don't think he has a position at the next level.

Hope I'm wrong. Also, he might be the most disciplined money manager ever, but most young people aren't, including myself when I was young.

If he finds himself out of basketball at age 27, well, with life expectancy at about 80 now, what's he turn to then? He said he doesn't like school.

Absolutely nothing to do with race and everything to do with stereotyping young adults as frivolous. I could be wrong, often I am, but doesn't Cal make make the take finance courses to help them once they leave?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT