ADVERTISEMENT

Would you rather have Brad Stevens?

Philstat

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2004
I like Cal a lot, I really do, though outside of AD and a talented roster that in all actuality barely beat a somewhat mediocre Kansas team, I don't think we ever win another title with him at the helm. He'll always have some good individual talent, though it just doesn't appear we'll have a fully cohesive team again with him at the helm. Cal needs to have absolute superiority in talent to win games, if the opposing team's talent is at parity, more times than not, he'll lose.

I would prefer to have a coach like Brad Stevens who is an exceptionally talented coach that gets the most from his players and is an exquisite strategist. Would you be happy with Brad Stevens taking over for Cal?

One’s a salesman, one’s a coach. Brad Stevens 1,000,000,000 out of a 1,000,000,000 times.

Last edited:
Of course Kentucky would rather have Brad Stevens. Also any college team in America would too. Stevens is an elite coach and top 5 basketball mind regardless of level.

But no one is getting him except Celtics. He is coaching at the highest level for a prestigious team in Boston. Anything else would be a demotion for him.

Of course Kentucky would rather have Brad Stevens. Also any college team in America would too. Stevens is an elite coach and top 5 basketball mind regardless of level.

But no one is getting him except Celtics. He is coaching at the highest level for a prestigious team in Boston. Anything else would be a demotion for him.
This. But I’m more than happy with Cal.

Reactions: kartmd
I'd rather Cal change with the new rules and also start being a disciplinarian again (he wouldnt stand for this lazy ass effort several years ago evidenced by how he worked Harrellson to the bone to get him right)

But this is the university of Kentucky......not Calipari. Call me heartless... disloyal yada yada yada.... but if you could logically convince me we could get another coach that would do better here under the new rules / offense direction of the NCAA basketball then I'd be for it. But I'd have to be convinced....

Let me get this right... you're suggesting that we give up on a national championship coach, and one who competes each year for the title for another coach who has never won anything and would be a better route?

Sorry but that's not a smart suggestion.
People want him because he took Butler to back to back NCAA titles. That was amazing but he might not be a good fit for UK.

Nope. You're thinking of this too mechanically. This isn't a math problem. Brad Stevens has never coached at a blue blood college program. He's never had to recruit at the highest level. Could he? You don't have any idea. Could he handle the expectations and fishbowl at UK? You don't have any idea.

I'm a huge Stevens fan. I think as far as x and o stuff - which is what people narrowly and simplistically call "coaching" - he's the best I've seen at any level. But there's a whole lot more to it, which you ignore.

Last edited:
Cal is better than Stevens.

He might need to rethink some of his roster management but I'd rather have Cal.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
I'd rather Cal change with the new rules and also start being a disciplinarian again (he wouldnt stand for this lazy ass effort several years ago evidenced by how he worked Harrellson to the bone to get him right)

But this is the university of Kentucky......not Calipari. Call me heartless... disloyal yada yada yada.... but if you could logically convince me we could get another coach that would do better here under the new rules / offense direction of the NCAA basketball then I'd be for it. But I'd have to be convinced....
You make a lot of good points here

Well you ask a question like people want a new coach, which is insane...but the why does anyone think Brad Stevens wanted another college job. He was NBA or bust. And now he has one of the best teams in the NBA and is a darling of the league. He ain’t leaving ever. He may leave the Celtics but won’t come back to college. He is not like a Pitino or Calipari that was like “I have done well in college and now time to conquer the pros”. Stevens had NO desire to keep coaching in college. Zero. He used his success at Butler to get into the pros.

Brad Stevens is a good coach and I think he would do very well as a college basketball coach if he ever left the NBA. I'm happy with who we have. Cal is a heck of a coach and if people can't be thankful for what he has done for our program then they are being extremely irrational. I'm not saying Cal is above criticism, but we are very fortunate to have him as our coach.

Brad Stevens is a good coach and I think he would do very well as a college basketball coach if he ever left the NBA. I'm happy with who we have. Cal is a heck of a coach and if people can't be thankful for what he has done for our program then they are being extremely irrational. I'm not saying Cal is above criticism, but we are very fortunate to have him as our coach.
Good post.

I like Cal a lot, I really do, though outside of AD and a talented roster that in all actuality barely beat a somewhat mediocre Kansas team, I don't think we ever win another title with him at the helm. He'll always have some good individual talent, though it just doesn't appear we'll have a fully cohesive team again with him at the helm. Cal needs to have absolute superiority in talent to win games, if the opposing team's talent is at parity, more times than not, he'll lose.

I would prefer to have a coach like Brad Stevens who is an exceptionally talented coach that gets the most from his players and is an exquisite strategist. Would you be happy with Brad Stevens taking over for Cal?
I can't believe these conversations start with every loss. Mr. Perfect is a figment of the imagination. I'm not always pleased with Cal's coaching, but I don't throw the baby out with the bath water. With Tubby it was 10 loss, can't recruit. True assessments. Then we went from bad to worse with BCG. Why Cal wanted to be here amazed me. He must have the toughest skin in the state of KY. We better hope Cal leaves on a good note. If not, there won't be coaches lined up to take this job.

Until Cal is gone I don't wish to comment on this stuff , I'm happy with him here because no one available is better. When Cal decides its time to go lets have this talk. And Yes , Please quit being so damn stubborn Cal.

While I don't completely agree that Cal won't win another one here, I do think that he should have at least one or two more with talent that he has had. Caliari knows X's and O's; he showed this when he was at UMASS, and somewhat at Memphis. Unfortunately, draft night seems to almost trump winning championships. Calipari knows the game well, and is one of the top coaches in America. However, his ego or his stubbornness has led to some questionable losses (there is no way that he should have lost 3 out 4 to Alford). I think that he CAN coach to win championships (the 96' UMASS would have won it if UK wasn't there), but he chooses to coach to get players drafted. I fully understand this, but as a UK fan, it gets quite frustrating.

Yea they want him for what he did in a 2 year stint, but they are willing to ignore what the other has been doing for 20 years.
I w
While I don't completely agree that Cal won't win another one here, I do think that he should have at least one or two more with talent that he has had. Caliari knows X's and O's; he showed this when he was at UMASS, and somewhat at Memphis. Unfortunately, draft night seems to almost trump winning championships. Calipari knows the game well, and is one of the top coaches in America. However, his ego or his stubbornness has led to some questionable losses (there is no way that he should have lost 3 out 4 to Alford). I think that he CAN coach to win championships (the 96' UMASS would have won it if UK wasn't there), but he chooses to coach to get players drafted. I fully understand this, but as a UK fan, it gets quite frustrating.
He needs to stop worrying about the NBA, and start worrying about winning titles...for his employer, the University of Ky.

Reactions: Steelcurtain66
Nope. You're thinking of this too mechanically. This isn't a math problem. Brad Stevens has never coached at a blue blood college program. He's never had to recruit at the highest level. Could he? You don't have any idea. Could he handle the expectations and fishbowl at UK? You don't have any idea.

I'm a huge Atevens fan. I think as far as x and o stuff - which is what people narrowly and simplistically call "coaching" - he's the best I've seen at any level. But there's a whole lot more to it, which you ignore.

I've often wondered about these aspects as well, coaching at UK is a tough gig, no matter how you slice it. The delta between Butler and UK is massive as are the exceptions. I do think he's a competitor and rise to the occasion, though there's no guarantee, could collapse under the weight of it all.

I am not a big fan of the turnover as a relates to recruiting, nor do I particularly like the dribble drive offens-- So this is a loaded question for me. But it is virtually impossible to argue against Cal's success.

Until Cal is gone I don't wish to comment on this stuff , I'm happy with him here because no one available is better. When Cal decides its time to go lets have this talk. And Yes , Please quit being so damn stubborn Cal.

I'm all in for Cal, but your last statement is his weakness.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT